Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/talkhoops/status/860220892319596544

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
these ball kids better pan out…

just lol if they wash out

"why couldn't you just let me take a normal contract, dad?" :qq:

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I still can't believe he couldn't come up with a less generic or corny name than Big Baller Brand.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

zelah posted:

I still can't believe he couldn't come up with a less generic or corny name than Big Baller Brand.

His last name is Ball, you see.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Apparently they're going to retail for $495 lol

Too cheap for me. I only dabble in exclusive V.I.P. sneakers. Pass.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jack's Flow posted:

Too cheap for me. I only dabble in exclusive V.I.P. sneakers. Pass.

Good news there's a $995 signature edition.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

morestuff posted:

The Miles Plumlee trade made some sense because it qualified Charlotte for the larger Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception instead of the Room Mid-Level Exception but I've stopped saying that out loud to people

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/casvolsmu/status/860221572241666055

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

boxcarhobo posted:

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok

It's true! Probably

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

gonna make THE best Father's Day present

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

:captainpop:

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

morestuff posted:

It's true! Probably

hey im fine with basically any explanation that isn't "they actually thought he'd be a good fit for the team"

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

LOL. Who is going to buy this? Lonzo's dad has cost him millions of dollars.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
And here I thought they were going with the slightly more expensive than Starbury route. Lavar probably needs these to sell at these prices to make up for lovely investments, lol.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Why is it the (Lon)Zo 2? What happened to the 1? Is that the crazy version we all wanted?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

zelah posted:

The 3 B's are a cool idea in theory, for the 3 brothers.

But boy does that name sound like it came right out of the early 00s

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

This is a catastrophic fuckup on the part of Big Baller Brand

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The whole "Lavar is a genius using bluster to fool us" narrative falls apart before our very eyes

e:

$995

https://bigballerbrand.com/products/video-feet-1

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 4, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I feel like Lavar either decided 1) his shoes needed to have the same margin as Nikes, who is able to make their shoes for pennies whereas it would cost him probably a few dollars to make his shoes or 2)is using some internet print shop's default prices who have crazy markups for everything anyway.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I would guess they're not expecting to make any money on the shoes, but write it off as *branding* and try to make their money on $50 t-shirts

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It likely won't and feel free to mock the price /look of the shoe.

But I will never shoot down people trying to build their own niche or business outside of the status quo.

If his 3 kids all end up real good basketball players it changes things amd makes them more viable.

But yeah economies of scale are a bitch. Self produced shoes are always gonna be expensive as gently caress. I wont be buying them but I think its kinda cool someone is just saying gently caress it and making their own shoe where they own and profit from every pair sold.

Shoes are meh tho and lmao at the overwatch logo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Rick posted:

I feel like Lavar either decided 1) his shoes needed to have the same margin as Nikes, who is able to make their shoes for pennies whereas it would cost him probably a few dollars to make his shoes or 2)is using some internet print shop's default prices who have crazy markups for everything anyway.

It would cost him more than a few dollars to make a small run of a shoe where he doesnt have deals amd contracts already like other companies do.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Attention HOTLANTAMAN!

https://twitter.com/wojverticalnba/status/860241060961939459

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Dexo posted:

It likely won't and feel free to mock the price /look of the shoe.

But I will never shoot down people trying to build their own niche or business outside of the status quo.

If his 3 kids all end up real good basketball players it changes things amd makes them more viable.

But yeah economies of scale are a bitch. Self produced shoes are always gonna be expensive as gently caress. I wont be buying them but I think its kinda cool someone is just saying gently caress it and making their own shoe where they own and profit from every pair sold.

Shoes are meh tho and lmao at the overwatch logo.

its real cool in theory to say gently caress you to the shoe companies since they are really just leeching off the talent of others, but he so badly overplayed his hand that hes almost certainly taken a gently caress ton of money out of his sons pockets

theres also the creepy poo poo he keeps saying about how hes owed the fruits of his sons labors which is just hosed up and wrong in general

E: i cant find the quote i was thinking of so maybe im full of poo poo on the 2nd part. then again sifting through lavar ball articles is loving awful

Ghost Dog fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 4, 2017

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Dexo, I hear what you're saying, but do you think his kids are going to see any money from this? The billion dollar deal revolved around them licensing BBB, probably meaning that money goes straight to him.

You'd hope he'd be on the up and up with his own children, but some parents have been known to not be.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

zelah posted:

Dexo, I hear what you're saying, but do you think his kids are going to see any money from this? The billion dollar deal revolved around them licensing BBB, probably meaning that money goes straight to him.

You'd hope he'd be on the up and up with his own children, but some parents have been known to not be.

His kids haven't mentioned anything about it. And nothing has come up about their financial management.

Its possible sure maybe even likely, but who knows what's going on and what their family dynamic is behind the scenes.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
How can you look, I dunno, any successful athletic company ever and think that three big rear end block Bs are a good logo

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

xbilkis posted:

How can you look, I dunno, any successful athletic company ever and think that three big rear end block Bs are a good logo

It will about time for people to be nostalgic for the early 00's by the time the 3 Balls get in the league.

Its really a 3rd dimensional chess move.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

morestuff posted:

The Miles Plumlee trade made some sense because it qualified Charlotte for the larger Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception instead of the Room Mid-Level Exception but I've stopped saying that out loud to people

I love that u know this

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

EvanTH posted:

Just wanna say real quick that so far Lockback and Dejan were WRONG about IT in the playoffs and I was RIGHT

He's not some weak Steph Curry type who you can elbow a few times and completely take out of his game

The Celtics have PROVED THE HATERS WRONG by barely beating the Bulls after being dominated by them, due to Rajon Rondo and Jimmy Butler injuries and now they're playing the Wizards with every defensive frontcourt player hurt and no bench aside from Kelly Oubre Jr

I'm in a Shania Twain state, that don't impress me much. If they beat the Cavs then I'll take back what I said

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The shoe price should go down $5 every time Lonzo gets his shot blocked

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the play every team when they are injured championship strategy huh, surely the celtics are warriors east

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

xbilkis posted:

Gonna get a cease and desist from the Better Business Bureau.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

xbilkis posted:

I keep thinking big baller brand is a licensed sub-division of those big dog t-shirts

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/ThatKiddKuda/status/860224372866514944

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Ghost Dog posted:

its real cool in theory to say gently caress you to the shoe companies since they are really just leeching off the talent of others, but he so badly overplayed his hand that hes almost certainly taken a gently caress ton of money out of his sons pockets

theres also the creepy poo poo he keeps saying about how hes owed the fruits of his sons labors which is just hosed up and wrong in general

E: i cant find the quote i was thinking of so maybe im full of poo poo on the 2nd part. then again sifting through lavar ball articles is loving awful

Oh don't worry. You're not full of poo poo. Even if you can't find the quote, I'm sure he said it or something like it. He's such a piece of poo poo, greedy father that instead of being happy and supportive of his kids all he's seeing is dollar signs.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Like the young people say, Ball has no clout. You can't sell a hyper premium shoe with an exciting college player who has a goofy face. He's not Kanye and he's not Lebron, and the product is nothing. That's embarrassing

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 5, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

quote:

Sources tell ESPN that the Los Angeles Lakers tried to demote Yuju Lee, their director of basketball analytics, but he instead decided to leave the organization altogether. Wednesday was Lee's last day. He worked for the team for four seasons, starting as a consultant during the 2012-13 season. The Lakers did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

He's never had as much exposure. And his groups have never gotten as much funding. Most people here had no idea who that guy was but now he's everywhere. Very successful

Sure, my point is if you don't like something or even are threatened by it, attack it with violence is a great way to get it lots of attention. It's why MLK wanted the national guard to break up his sit-ins. Whether your cause is good or unbelievably evil, being the victim of violence gets you attention.

Anyway, this is a weird derail, but my point is just ignore this guy. Barkley shouldn't have him on his show, even if its to make fun of him. People shouldn't punch him, even if he is threatening. These things don't help make people like this go away.

Basically,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hS1YWtalPY

Dexo posted:

Lebron's post game "you guys can say whatever about me, but guess what tommorrow I'm gonna wake up and be LeBron James, while you broke bois are gonna go to your normal job and live the same pathetic life" is the most underrated post game/series press conference answer ever.

It would've been better if he said it using a PA mic in front of 20,000 fans.

Imagine the road team eliminating the home team in the playoffs and getting to roast the fans as they exited the arena. I'd watch that.

zoux posted:

I know you can't really say for sure because it's LeBron and he could play until 2030, but for how many more years would you guess he remains the best player in basketball?

I could see having another 5-6 seasons where he's in the MVP conversation. I doubt he'll win any more MVPs though. As far as being the peak best player that'll end sooner. If he's lucky he'll have a career like Karl Malone and remain dominant for another 7-8 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

I might be able to sell these as overwatch slippers.

• Locked thread