Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The hot ones escape the island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Kazinsal posted:

The hot ones escape the island

Yup. Like Britain

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

tastefully arranged labia posted:

So what does your average Kiwi twentysomething look like?

Pasty white (red in summer) to light brown, tallish, range from dad bod to morbidly obese, crooked teeth, might be yellow from tea drinking. Might be ginger.

It varies through where you are and who is around, ofc, like on ANZAC day last month we were joking in one thread about the affluent suburb of Ponsonby, where everyone is sculpted into beauty or at least a special kind of ugly.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 4, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Jaguars! posted:

Pasty white (red in summer) to light brown, tallish, range from dad bod to morbidly obese, crooked teeth, might be yellow from tea drinking. Might be ginger.

It varies through where you are and who is around, ofc, like on ANZAC day last month we were joking in one thread about the affluent suburb of Ponsonby, where everyone is sculpted into beauty or at least a special kind of ugly.

yeah ponsonby is definitely the special kind of ugly, think mums plastered in makeup and expensive dresses to try look good

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Rail thin ladies with pinched, squinty, wrinkled faces and teenager fashion is another good average person.

But for real, I was only young when I was in Canada and the US but I didn't notice all that much difference in how people look, local factors make a bigger difference than the national ones.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 4, 2017

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
new zealand has like a 30% obesity rate which is :gowron:

honestly was not expecting that

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

new zealand has like a 30% obesity rate which is :gowron:

honestly was not expecting that

lol yup

also highest rate of teen pregnancy i think

one of the highest of domestic violence

teenage drinking

etc etc

we're pretty loving backwards

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Two Finger posted:

lol yup

also highest rate of teen pregnancy i think

one of the highest of domestic violence

teenage drinking

etc etc

we're pretty loving backwards

Well it is the south. Why are we surprised they're all white trashin it up down undah.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I mean I'm just taking a wild stab here that the obesity has to do heavily with the natives

But lol America looks at NZ like some sort of Utopia

No wonder y'all leave the country at every opportunity

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, maoris, samoans, and to a slightly lesser extent tongans are all present in new zealand in big numbers and they'll bump up your obesity levels when you're going by BMI. They'll bench press a Buick and run like a freight train but BMI is not kind to them.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

not caring here posted:

Yeah, maoris, samoans, and to a slightly lesser extent tongans are all present in new zealand in big numbers and they'll bump up your obesity levels when you're going by BMI. They'll bench press a Buick and run like a freight train but BMI is not kind to them.

well yeah but then we also have kfc stores that regularly run out of chicken on public holidays

also loving lmao that kfc run tv ads to let people know that they are still open on christmas day and stuff

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I love how much every country with good local food loses their poo poo over KFC and McDondalds. See: every Asian country

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

when it comes to good local food we practically are asian

the food courts in auckland are the loving tits seriously

can get a really good feed for under 10 bucks most of the time

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
How much is that in real money?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

7?

by comparison, any sit-down meal place is gonna run you 25-30 bucks a head for food alone

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The day after I got out of basic training, I was in Taupo with my family going to hot pools and stuff. There was something weird about the place that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Then as I saw the michelin man waddling down the road in sweatpants and jandals, I relized that I hadn't seen any fat people for two and a half months bar the occasional warrant officer with a pot belly.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

pls don't appropriate my culture tomorrow

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

pls don't appropriate my culture tomorrow

Getting drunk and eating fajitas is my culture

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I mean I'm just taking a wild stab here that the obesity has to do heavily with the natives

No wonder y'all leave the country at every opportunity

If you go by these dumb woke awareness videos on social media, same with Europe. Everything is super loving efficient, renewable, sustainable, socially-equal, the kids are smarter, the teachers are all pedagogic sociology behavioral geniuses, parents get fourteen hundred days off after child birth and an all-expenses paid vacation to Fhloston loving Paradise because everyone's so loving woke.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

While I'm bitching: How the gently caress did Hurt Locker get an Oscar, let alone a million or however much it got?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Duzzy Funlop posted:

While I'm bitching: How the gently caress did Hurt Locker get an Oscar, let alone a million or however much it got?

Because it shows what the war's really like maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Duzzy Funlop posted:

If you go by these dumb woke awareness videos on social media, same with Europe. Everything is super loving efficient, renewable, sustainable, socially-equal, the kids are smarter, the teachers are all pedagogic sociology behavioral geniuses, parents get fourteen hundred days off after child birth and an all-expenses paid vacation to Fhloston loving Paradise because everyone's so loving woke.

What does the word 'woke' mean in this context? I'm old and not really hip with the new jive.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

not caring here posted:

What does the word 'woke' mean in this context? I'm old and not really hip with the new jive.

I'm not sure I'm using it correctly in the context it's being used in today, but it basically describes social-equality/political/etc.- hipsterism. Like, people that aren't making sure to "keep themselves informed on the issues afflicting society today" (read: watch and share a bunch of dumb Facebook videos about progress and WHAT'S REALLY HAPPENING) aren't woke.

I guess it's supposed to stem from "being woken up" to the truth or something.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
So it's the hipster way of trying to WAKE UP, SHEEPLE?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Naked Bear posted:

So it's the hipster way of trying to WAKE UP, SHEEPLE?

Yeah, after the hipsters stole it from minorities

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

you know their government pays you to go to college!?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

not caring here posted:

My understanding of it is it's a word meaning "in tune with social issues" that was popularized in AAVE and then, surprise surprise, middle class white people on social media got a hold of it.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Well, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks!

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Thats just because they saw all 17 hours of Lord of the Rings: New Zealand Tourism Board's Elaborate Advertising Campaign.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

To be fair... A bunch of European countries are a Utopia compared to the majority of the US. And for many of those very reasons.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Not sure if it's an apt comparison when some of those countries are smaller than Nebraska

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Also:

I suppose this sounds shady but I'm just trying to be a bro. It's not an MLM, nor do I get anything if people sign up. I simply use uworld to study for something else and got this email, and felt it was worth sharing? :shrug: so I guess let me know if you want the link

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Finally arrived to the apartment we are renting in Rio. It only took 24 hours.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Why-did you get mugged already?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This dude should be a GIP patron saint or something. Missing from his own MoH ceremony because he was working KP.

http://www.malmstrom.af.mil/News/Features/Display/Article/349726/legend-of-airman-snuffy-the-maynard-smith-story/

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Why-did you get mugged already?

No, just bad luck getting into the apartment.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
This has been a lovely day since I got out of the shower and it didn't get any better but thank gently caress I'm now in a cigar bar

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Day's been poo poo here too. But work is over in two hours and Frank is going to be happy to go to the park.

Got a free pair of Oakley gloves, only had to empty one shipping container, reorganize and fill another. After the dog park, I'm laying on an ice pack and taking dab rips all night.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Went and saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2, had a couple of beers, life's good.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

How was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If you liked 1, you'll like 2.

I got quite a few laughs out of it, so that's good in my book.

• Locked thread