Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

He was probably on the Death Star when it exploded or something equally stupid.

He was one of the bothans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Basebf555 posted:

To a kid who wasn't alive in the 70s, 80s, or 90s, the effects techniques used in the OT will look just as "bad", if not more so.

I was alive in the 70s born in the 60s and saw all three OT movies in their first runs and anyone who thinks that the prequels' FX have aged more poorly than the OT is out of their goddamned mind. RotJ alone has more almost laughably bad shots than all the prequels combined, shots that made 14 year old me cringe as I watched them opening weekend.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I was alive in the 70s born in the 60s and saw all three OT movies in their first runs and anyone who thinks that the prequels' FX have aged more poorly than the OT is out of their goddamned mind. RotJ alone has more almost laughably bad shots than all the prequels combined, shots that made 14 year old me cringe as I watched them opening weekend.

ROTJ is rotten. The only good Star Wars movie ever made is The Empire Strikes back. So in that sense the prequels are of a piece with the series as a whole.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

Apparently he was in Galaxies (the first Star Wars MMO), still junk trading. New canon doesn't seem to have done anything with him yet.

that must be the most mundane life of any star wars character ever

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Basebf555 posted:

It really doesn't even matter though. If a being is programmed to feel love, or pain, or to have hopes and dreams, and then why would that being not be considered worthy of human rights? Who cares why they feel these things? Why does that make a difference?

The semantic argument of "robot vs. person" is a smoke screen for the real issue, which is whether or not its ok to abuse droids or treat them as property.

This is going to go down a rabbit hole where I get called a slave apologist or some poo poo again, but I feel it's worth noting.

In The Restaraunt At The End of the Universe a cow that for better or worse wants to be eaten. The cow has an absolutely overriding desire to be eaten regardless of anything else, despite the fact that the cow also has feelings and emotions. Even though the cow has emotions and can talk, given it has no desire to be free should it be afforded the same rights as humans?

So if I program a droid in such a way that it has emotions but only ever desires to serve humans should it be afforded the same level of personhood as a human that has the ability to desire to be free?

Note, all of this is irrelevant as 3PO changing his programming disproves my theory that droids can be programmed in such a way that they can't defy their programming.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
What about the little robot kid in AI? Is he people?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

This is going to go down a rabbit hole where I get called a slave apologist or some poo poo again, but I feel it's worth noting.

In The Restaraunt At The End of the Universe a cow that for better or worse wants to be eaten. The cow has an absolutely overriding desire to be eaten regardless of anything else, despite the fact that the cow also has feelings and emotions. Even though the cow has emotions and can talk, given it has no desire to be free should it be afforded the same rights as humans?

So if I program a droid in such a way that it has emotions but only ever desires to serve humans should it be afforded the same level of personhood as a human that has the ability to desire to be free?

Note, all of this is irrelevant as 3PO changing his programming disproves my theory that droids can be programmed in such a way that they can't defy their programming.

Huxley's Brave New World is an entire dystopia built on this premise- every caste in society programmed from birth to prefer their place in it.

e:

quote:

“Alpha children wear grey. They work much harder than we do, because they're so frightfully clever. I'm awfully glad I'm a Beta, because I don't work so hard. And then we are much better than the Gammas and Deltas. Gammas are stupid. They all wear green, and Delta children wear khaki. Oh no, I don't want to play with Delta children. And Epsilons are still worse. They're too stupid to be able to read or write. Besides they wear black, which is such a beastly color. I'm so glad I'm a Beta.”

quote:

“A really efficient totalitarian state would be one in which the all-powerful executive of political bosses and their army of managers control a population of slaves who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude.”

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 4, 2017

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

So are we going to get a new trailer or poster today

pleeeeeaaaase

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Yes.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Also yes, and if such a thing were ever possible I'd hope it would be made illegal.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Being free to serve is still freedom, or so my favourite dominatrix tells me.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

sassassin posted:

Being free to serve is still freedom, or so my favourite dominatrix tells me.

A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... on a world called Gor! *whipcrack* :heysexy:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

See this is the thing, should we do that we can't eat the cow and the cow is then unfulfilled for the rest of its life.

quote:

Also yes, and if such a thing were ever possible I'd hope it would be made illegal.

On this we both agree. My stance before I changed my mind was that the creation of droids themselves was abhorrent but that they were treated differently to humans was not subsequent to their creation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yorkshire Tea posted:

See this is the thing, should we do that we can't eat the cow and the cow is then unfulfilled for the rest of its life.

The cow should be in therapy so it can get past its issues. Should we just let people with depression and suicidal thoughts off themselves without trying to help them get better?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
So I saw a screening of Rogue One tonight at a great signle screen cinema here that has a great showing of movies http://www.astortheatre.net.au/

Anyway, big turnout tonight for May the 4th, there were some storm troopers and vader and the emperor inside the upstairs lobby collecting money for charity. Bonus Duke, the cat who lives at the cinema and walks around the place.

Anyway, before the movie, between each trailer they showed four 80s star wars commercials. One for the Kenner toys, featuring the AT-ST, one pro-vaccinations ad featuring C3-PO and an antismoking ad with R2D2 smoking and 3PO telling him off.

Then they played this ad the the audience almost gave it a standing ovation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfjLZE6Pp5U
Which lead into a nice 4k version of the last jedi trailer which was pretty cool and a bunch of people trying to avoid watching it because of spoilers.

Movie still good.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Lord Hydronium posted:

Apparently he was in Galaxies (the first Star Wars MMO), still junk trading. New canon doesn't seem to have done anything with him yet.

Maybe Dr. Evazan was on Tatooine to sell him some of those freaky headless cyborgs he was making on Jedha.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snowman_McK posted:

I remember even at the time, AOTC was pretty loving impressive. We saw LOTR's partially CGI armies attack each other at night, AOTC threw two completely CGI armies at each other in the middle of the day. It was pretty cool.

LOTR looked and still looks way better than the prequels. Most films do.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Even within the LOTR trilogy though, there's a clear difference in quality between the CG used in Fellowship of the Ring in 2001, and then in the last two films that came only a few years later. The technology was moving incredibly fast at that time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

On the note of LotR whatever it is about the contrast or film stock makes the film look very TV movie quality in some parts, especially the opening of the first one and its really distracting when they pingpong between good and absolutely abysmal cgi in some scenes.

Plus you know, editing is a virtue that Peter Jackson apparently never learned.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

RBA Starblade posted:

This is where you could elaborate. The prequels generally gave better cinematography, so you are probably referring to the aesthetics of the production design - but it's impossible to tell because you then extend this to 'most films'.

Most films today are, undoubtedly, selfies posted on youtube.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Can someone explain the canonical design reasoning for the first order fn troopers vs empire tk 501st.

Are they crying tears of blackness

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alan Smithee posted:

Can someone explain the canonical design reasoning for the first order fn troopers vs empire tk 501st.

the what

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Most films today are, undoubtedly, selfies posted on youtube.

Fair; I stand corrected.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 4, 2017

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Looks like he's asking why the first order helmets look different

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think they just wanted to emphasize as much as they could in the First Order designs that this group is kinda like The Empire, but not really.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Because they commissioned a new design when they were founded. The First Order are Empire fanboys; they believe they can, and are trying to, be more Imperial than the Empire itself. They're not doing a very good job of it because they hate the Republic.

Happy Star Wars Day, everyone. The prequels are good.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bongo Bill posted:

Because they commissioned a new design when they were founded. The First Order are Empire fanboys; they believe they can, and are trying to, be more Imperial than the Empire itself. They're not doing a very good job of it because they hate the Republic.

Happy Star Wars Day, everyone. The prequels are good.

Like everyone else in the first film of the new trilogy, they misread Star Wars.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Someone might have mentioned it already, but I just got the Rogue One, The Force Awakens and 40th Anniversary A New Hope, Kindle novels on Amazon UK for 99p each

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I was about to mention it but then I thought, wait, Looke will probably want to do that themselves, so I didnt

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Thanks man :)

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
:cheers: I remember enjoying the new hope novel when i was young. I think the copy was from the 70s cuz it fell apart

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

It's the same reason as the dumb Mega-T-Rex in Jurassic World.

The "canonical design reasoning" is a contrivance built into the story to justify real-world marketing needs

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 4, 2017

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

The prequels are good.

It's Star Wars Day not Opposite Day!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It would make a lot more in universe sense and look a lot more interesting if the New Order, which is basically North Korea, was equipped with a mishmash of 30 year old Imperial poo poo and whatever other surplus they could get their hands on. Maybe some x wings with a grey paint job, maybe even some old Clone Wars era poo poo.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

General Dog posted:

It would make a lot more in universe sense and look a lot more interesting if the New Order, which is basically North Korea, was equipped with a mishmash of 30 year old Imperial poo poo and whatever other surplus they could get their hands on. Maybe some x wings with a grey paint job, maybe even some old Clone Wars era poo poo.

That basically gives them the cobbled together aesthetic of the Rebels/Resistance. Plus the New Order seem way too powerful for a direct comparison to work. Star Killer base is the most powerful super weapon ever built, NK is catching up to technology half a century old.

The question of technological advancement in the SW setting is an interesting one. When the old EU was canon it seemed things were similar to antiquity where there was very slow or even nonexistent development over a very long period of time. Under Disney it is less clear if technological progress is much faster or not.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ReV VAdAUL posted:

That basically gives them the cobbled together aesthetic of the Rebels/Resistance.

Which leads to another question, why is the Resistance operating with cobbled together equipment?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

its the apple aesthetic

snoke is space steve jobs

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Schwarzwald posted:

Which leads to another question, why is the Resistance operating with cobbled together equipment?

Lack of senate funding. EU makes it clear that most of the Senate thought Leia was crazy and would mocking call the Resistance "Leia's Army."

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Because they are a non-state actor without any formal backing, who also do not have the resources to completely convert an occupied planet into a self-sufficient fortress.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The Force Awakens would have been better if Starkiller Base was that, a base, and the real superweapon was their army of fanatically loyal and highly trained Stormtroopers. (Finn would be its exhaust port, so to speak.)

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I just finished reading Bloodline, which is my first EU novel since Shadows of the Empire in 3rd grade. It's mindblowing how mediocre it is. Now I can die knowing I definitely haven't been missing out on the EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Jewmanji posted:

I just finished reading Bloodline, which is my first EU novel since Shadows of the Empire in 3rd grade. It's mindblowing how mediocre it is. Now I can die knowing I definitely haven't been missing out on the EU.

That's the EU in a nutshell. You aren't going to get a Hugo award turning out books on a treadmill, especially when its genre fiction for a big franchise.

• Locked thread