Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

We are definitely at the point of less bad options than actual good options. It's not like China has a magic solution. They would use it if they did since they are right next door to the unstable nuclear power. When the brown stuff hits the fan it's spraying on them too.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Possibly there's something China would rather do than make itself responsible for millions of half starved Koreans, but I'm struggling to think of it.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

My most optimistic thought of what China could do is support a coup of Un by his top advisers and start dismantling the cult of personality. That still leaves a nuclear NK now lead by a non-Kim for the first time though which is a real ??? With some ugly possible outcomes where little is improved for the random grass eating schmuck.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
How well surveyed is North Korea? Any rare earths? Oil? Other interesting resources?

Or, is the place really just rocks and peasants?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Well the best possible choice would be deposing Kim and putting someone in there who would work with the US and South Korea on a demilitarized level so at least we don't have to waste so much effort on worrying about them nuking Seoul/Guam/whatever. We could easily increase US aid packages if it meant less risk and military expense on the peninsula. China would probably only go along with this if they got whatever it is they'd want out of the deal but at least it would descalate things and maybe improve the living conditions, even only slightly, of millions of mind hosed Koreans.

Unfortunately we probably have the least competent president for this kind of task in modern history so it's even more of a pipe dream than ever.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 4, 2017

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Just saw what looked like a UAV-ized Seahawk fly over. Is that a thing? No glass windows or canopy in the cockpit area though

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 4, 2017

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Murgos posted:

How well surveyed is North Korea? Any rare earths? Oil? Other interesting resources?

Or, is the place really just rocks and peasants?

It has dirty coal, magnesium, and iron.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

JFC that is really bad reenector levels of pathetic.

The fear in those people's eyes, Jesus gently caress...

Kinda reminds me of old film of the Home Guard after they were given uniforms but before they got proper guns.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Warbadger posted:

It has dirty coal, magnesium, and iron.

"If we go to war with North Korea it'll result in cheaper coal, thereby hazarding even more sacred American coal mining jobs."

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

inkjet_lakes posted:

The fear in those people's eyes, Jesus gently caress...

Kinda reminds me of old film of the Home Guard after they were given uniforms but before they got proper guns.

I'm the woman trying to be as rabid as possible in support of the regime so her family doesn't get shot for disloyalty

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

A.o.D. posted:

The Chauchat's problem is that the Americans quite reasonably asked for that system to use the US standard caliber for logistical reasons because getting a sufficient quantity of French ammo stateside for training purposes could prove problematic. The French manufacturers half-assed the conversion, resulting in a gun that got a shittier reputation than it deserved. It was less someone loving up procurement than it was someone not bothering to do the job right in the first place. Before you say "caliber changes are hard", remember that there was a Maxim in basically every military center-fire caliber in the world at that time.

You take my shitpost too seriously, sir.

Nebakenezzer posted:

This was my question too. I don't know enough about guns to identify the MGs, but...

I see RPDs, DP-28s and RP-46s (DPM with the belt feed DLC).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mazz posted:

Well the best possible choice would be deposing Kim and putting someone in there who would work with the US and South Korea on a demilitarized level so at least we don't have to waste so much effort on worrying about them nuking Seoul/Guam/whatever. We could easily increase US aid packages if it meant less risk and military expense on the peninsula. China would probably only go along with this if they got whatever it is they'd want out of the deal but at least it would descalate things and maybe improve the living conditions, even only slightly, of millions of mind hosed Koreans.

Unfortunately we probably have the least competent president for this kind of task in modern history so it's even more of a pipe dream than ever.

China's response would almost certainly have the following priorities (assuming Kim were removed from power without an outright war):

1. Dismantle or disarm NK's nuclear arsenal and capabilities.
2. Convince S. Korea to shoulder as much of the cost/burden of integrating NK into the global fold as possible.

China doesn't want a war erupting near them any more than anyone else would - doubly so because they're the only neighbor that has any kind of diplomatic relations, and would likely be a recipient of millions of refugees.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Wouldn't the North Korean population just basically collectively pack up and leave the country as soon as the regime weakens or opens up? That might be a problem for China and South Korea.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

M_Gargantua posted:

30mm HE spam will only be good against drones at close range. The shells just don't have the muzzle velocity or gun elevation to knock out anything flying above them, and anything low to the ground at range will be nearly impossible to hit. That leaves a very narrow window where autocannons are an effective option, and I doubt it's operationally worth it to carry rounds designed to be birdshot flak that would be most effective against the kind of drones that would even bother engaging at those ranges.

The long term is looking at guided 30mm that can be fired from non-dedicated air defense systems. So maneuver units could eventually provide limited Group 1 and 2 UAS self-protection.

Plus there would be a more advanced, dedicated maneuver SHORAD vehicle to do more serious air defense work. Meanwhile IFPC provides more static/semi-mobile (moveable) coverage, Stingers remain in maneuver units for MANPADS purposes, and EW steps up its game.

Also aerial gunnery for individual, crew served, and vehicle weapons is coming back.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

When it comes to problems, gentlemen, you are all right when it comes to DPRK

I'd just like to float the idea again that what China (and for that matter South Korea and the USA) are trying to get the other to hit the tar baby

Br'er Panda and Br'er Eagle and the DPRK baby, somebody make that into a political cartoon

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Dear God they've started adopting our most advanced front line technology and tactics starting with the neon PT Belt

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Well, this propaganda isn't for us, is it? It's not to tell North Koreans that they can beat the rest of the world either. If they've ever seen a real military training via smuggled video, the people wouldn't buy it. What this video DOES tell North Koreans, is that the military in control still has some machine guns, and those will kill your rear end easy.

brains
May 12, 2004

late to the party so here's stuff from a few pages back

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

It's more of an argument for why you should keep your helicopters where they can fight best - The Karbala attack was akin to a cavalry charge when really you want the Apache several KM up in the air (in a permissive airspace) or several miles away popping up from behind trees.
a textbook example- not one of effectiveness of an organized air defense, but of over-confidence in both weapons systems and ability, as well as frankly retarded tactical planning, something the US military in general seems to relapse into about once every generation (see Serbia circa '99 for another notable example).

MikeCrotch posted:

Fair enough, I couldn't remember the specifics.

Still seems like a pretty good argument for gun armed air defence if you're worried about helicopters, though.
to be blunt, when dealing with just rotary wing threats, why even waste time on a radar-guided gun system. MANPADS do the job better, faster, at longer ranges, and with a significantly lower footprint and emissions. most military helicopters can withstand large caliber hits; none can endure a modern MANPADS warhead.

i say bring back the SLAMRAAM...just for the name alone :getin:

honestly though, what the army needs is a high-low mix for SHORAD- high energy interceptor with BVR capabilities for attack threats (yes, i'm aware this is no simple feat) and laser for close range UAS/artillery defense (because interceptors are expensive) i can't believe i'm seriously advocating tactical lasers in TYOOL 2017 but here we are

the real trick in the next war will be using a search and acquisition radar that doesn't immediately eat an ARM or artillery strike as soon as you turn it on.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

brains posted:

honestly though, what the army needs is a high-low mix for SHORAD- high energy interceptor with BVR capabilities for attack threats (yes, i'm aware this is no simple feat) and laser for close range UAS/artillery defense (because interceptors are expensive) i can't believe i'm seriously advocating tactical lasers in TYOOL 2017 but here we are

HELLADS

http://i.imgur.com/1Cwr5Sl.mp4

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
There's an unclassified roadmap ahead slide I can probably throw up here. Just need to verify there's no sneaky FOUO caveat but it was briefed to a bunch of foreign military members without clearance so pretty sure it's good.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Don't gently caress up your job for the internet, though.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yeah, hence why I'm double checking the splash title first. But security for the briefing consisted of a bunch of smiling and handshaking followed by a combination of us military, foreigners, defense contractors, and even some spouses piling in.

For turbonerds, here's General Perkins delivering a good explanation of Multi-Domain Battle. (I refuse to include the hashtag). This is long and has plenty of acronyms, but GEN Perkins is probably among the best public speakers who can get his point across on very big picture stuff to people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHAOpmg3mtg

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 5, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is there any technical reason it's been so hard for the US to develop a mobile SHORAD system, or is it a interservice bureaucracy and high project cost low current need kinda thing?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The reason is that there's been zero desire, and we just spent 15 years mucking about with COIN while other nations had relative stability, all things considered, and took the lessons learned from the Gulf War and from the invasion period of Iraq and explicitly built technology and doctrine based on either exploiting our past strengths into new weaknesses or at least making us think very, very hard before shoving our military down their throat. In 2005, the Army and ADA basically decided to stop even pretending that to care about what Avengers we did have and started turning multiple Patriot/Avenger mixed batteries into Patriot pure batteries with zero replacement in capability. There are Avenger NCOs and soldiers who have never done Avenger or Stinger work outside of initial training, and have instead done nothing but C-RAM their whole careers.

Fires in general got left by the wayside during COIN and now the Army is rapidly trying to improve artillery, ADA, and EW fires.

Additionally, expect light infantry to get less light. The Army has decided it might not be so awesome that our most rapidly deployable maneuver force either doesn't really maneuver faster than a soldier with a ruck on his back or maneuvers in vehicles that are heavily outclassed by near-peers in mobility, lethality, and survivability.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 5, 2017

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Shooting Blanks posted:

China's response would almost certainly have the following priorities (assuming Kim were removed from power without an outright war):

1. Dismantle or disarm NK's nuclear arsenal and capabilities.
2. Strip the entire country like methheads in an unlocked apartment.
3. Divide the population into agricultural/manufacturing/sex trade slaves.
4. Claim that the territory was always theirs . . . 5000 years history. . . . only the west is imperialist.

FTFY

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mortabis posted:

I'm going to Panama in late July/early August. Is there stuff related to the Canal Zone and/or the 1989 invasion that I should (and can) see?

Obviously all the standard tourist stuff is on my list but that sort of thing is more of a niche interest not appearing in guides.

VVVV phased array of shaped charges which use constructive interference of the blast waves to produce a particular pattern of penetration. Actually that probably exists already.

The invasion babies are of age now. Check the local meat market.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

M_Gargantua posted:

We're not designing systems for use against ISIS. Every major power is exploring UACAV and UUVs, small and large. The military ability to manufacture 100k of plastic powered toys for $5 a pop mean you're going to start seeing smart grenades that fly in the direction you throw them until they arm and hit the nearest heat signature. $1000 drones far more maneuverable than a human capable of carrying 30rds of 7.62 or two 40mm grenades and manuvering in what I can best describe as sports plays to eliminate infantry in cover.

Those are the scale of threats an auto cannon can even hope to deal with and that means at best your expensive vehicles are barely capable of providing threat mitigation for infantry, and they're already underpowered for anything more than infantry support.

Big boy drones that can loiter above 10k ft mean you're utilizing MANPADs or SHORAD. And those threats can hit you back with standoff missiles of their own. A drone with two hellfires is a difficult target to even spot unless you have a real radar, which is itself a giant target for ARMs.

It's not caliber that's stopping anti drone capability, it's the expansion and escalation of what we're going to see drones do in combat. The counter is more tiny missiles, like that tiny VLS interceptor that got linked in this thread that I can't find right now.

All those specialty drones. But in my mind, the drones become the various bullets themselves, as long as the ability is within their envelope of flight. IE Flying kinetically or with a small charge at combatants in the open or cover and unarmored light armored vehicles, something faster or with a missile to hit fixed wing or rotor aircraft. Something like a Sensor Fused Weapon for armored vehicles.

Like 2:00 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NGgHyfPGU0

Oh god the sound, I can't get it out of my head. This is the sound of death in future conflicts.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

B4Ctom1 posted:

All those specialty drones. But in my mind, the drones become the various bullets themselves, as long as the ability is within their envelope of flight. IE Flying kinetically or with a small charge at people and unarmored light armored vehicles, something faster or with a missile to hit fixed wing or rotor aircraft. Something like a Sensor Fused Weapon for armored vehicles.

Yeah that video is great. Drone futures really depend on mission parameters of course. Only the smallest and cheapest drones will be the weapons systems themselves. [Nerf football with a propeller frag grenade]-ish. A kamikaze drone designed for anything heavier than anti-infantry role won't have the speed that a missile will have. When you get to things like camera drone sized they're benefit is that they can shoot down at infantry in defilade while being difficult to hit in return, if you look at the research Penn state is doing they can pull some insane evasive maneuvers. Then they return back for rearming. Quadcopters right now can fly around 4km, loiter for 20, and return. Anything longer ranged/higher altitude/larger payload and you're flying fixed wing drones.

The sensor fuses weapon style is really only good for close range defense, because again, they'll never have the raw speed of a missile so kamikaze mode defeats the main advantage.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

B4Ctom1 posted:

All those specialty drones. But in my mind, the drones become the various bullets themselves, as long as the ability is within their envelope of flight. IE Flying kinetically or with a small charge at combatants in the open or cover and unarmored light armored vehicles, something faster or with a missile to hit fixed wing or rotor aircraft. Something like a Sensor Fused Weapon for armored vehicles.

You're basically describing ATGMs and MANPADS. Doubtless UAV tech will improve them in the coming years, but in a practical sense ATGMs and MANPADS are already suicide drones with seekers.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
That perspective is... weird. The Mustang is considerably closer to the camera, right?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

david_a posted:

That perspective is... weird. The Mustang is considerably closer to the camera, right?

Yes: The F-22 is just 2 feet shy of being twice as long as the P-51.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah that video is great. Drone futures really depend on mission parameters of course. Only the smallest and cheapest drones will be the weapons systems themselves. [Nerf football with a propeller frag grenade]-ish. A kamikaze drone designed for anything heavier than anti-infantry role won't have the speed that a missile will have. When you get to things like camera drone sized they're benefit is that they can shoot down at infantry in defilade while being difficult to hit in return, if you look at the research Penn state is doing they can pull some insane evasive maneuvers. Then they return back for rearming. Quadcopters right now can fly around 4km, loiter for 20, and return. Anything longer ranged/higher altitude/larger payload and you're flying fixed wing drones.
Speaking as someone who flies (really, really) high performance miniquads for fun, something that actually maneuvers won't have that kind of endurance until batteries improve quite a bit more. A max performance freestyle flight (averaging around 50% throttle) is under 3 minutes. There's a reason those swarms use winged, single-motor devices.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 5, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

B4Ctom1 posted:

Oh god the sound, I can't get it out of my head. This is the sound of death in future conflicts.

It reminds me of a Deep Space Nine episode during the Dominion War where ground forces deal with these "subspace mines" that are everywhere around them, and you might walk right past/through one and it wouldn't explode, but then five minutes later someone *else* does and it turns them into paste, not only instilling fear that anyone could die at any time, but also fostering a constant "it should have been me, not them" feeling. These things don't even have to have explosives on them since the noise alone would constitute psychological warfare of the highest order. Arm maybe 5-10% of them with a shaped charge just large enough to blow a good sized hole in someone's head, and select targets at random intervals just to make them worry that *all* of them are similarly armed. There's not much glamour or glory in a death like that - and it's really hard to sell it as martyrdom, too.

Then do a leaflet drop: "We can target your manhood, too."

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It reminds me of a Deep Space Nine episode during the Dominion War where ground forces deal with these "subspace mines" that are everywhere around them, and you might walk right past/through one and it wouldn't explode, but then five minutes later someone *else* does and it turns them into paste, not only instilling fear that anyone could die at any time, but also fostering a constant "it should have been me, not them" feeling. These things don't even have to have explosives on them since the noise alone would constitute psychological warfare of the highest order. Arm maybe 5-10% of them with a shaped charge just large enough to blow a good sized hole in someone's head, and select targets at random intervals just to make them worry that *all* of them are similarly armed. There's not much glamour or glory in a death like that - and it's really hard to sell it as martyrdom, too.

Then do a leaflet drop: "We can target your manhood, too."

Aren't there stories from the Cuban revolution where communist snipers would always aim at the second or third man in a formation instead of the first man, for that reason? Probably bullshit that maybe happened once and propaganda spread like wildfire, but something like that you probably don't have to do it many times before people start spreading rumors and doing your job for you before the battle even begins.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

Wouldn't the North Korean population just basically collectively pack up and leave the country as soon as the regime weakens or opens up? That might be a problem for China and South Korea.
Don't forget that a large part of the NK population has been kept completely in the dark about anything that isn't centered on their self proclaimed God-Emperor and barely even know that there are other countries outside NK.

Even if you wipe out the Kim dynasty and install a benevolent leadership it's going to take a very long time and a lot of effort to repair the educational and social damage caused over the past 60 years.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Ryan Aeronautical Image by SDASM Archives, on Flickr

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Don Gato posted:

Aren't there stories from the Cuban revolution where communist snipers would always aim at the second or third man in a formation instead of the first man, for that reason? Probably bullshit that maybe happened once and propaganda spread like wildfire, but something like that you probably don't have to do it many times before people start spreading rumors and doing your job for you before the battle even begins.

You also pick off the ones at the back first so the ones at the front don't realise what's happening - or so I read in a quote from a D-Day soldier who had a line of Germans coming towards him, but who hadn't seen him. If I remember correctly, he used the phrase "turkey shoot"

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

simplefish posted:

You also pick off the ones at the back first so the ones at the front don't realise what's happening - or so I read in a quote from a D-Day soldier who had a line of Germans coming towards him, but who hadn't seen him. If I remember correctly, he used the phrase "turkey shoot"

You are off by about 30 years, I'm pretty sure that was a Sgt. York

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Flikken posted:

You are off by about 30 years, I'm pretty sure that was a Sgt. York
You accidentally aim your guns at a crowd of brass one goddamn time and they never let you live it down...