Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Atlas Hugged posted:

It might be based on something that happened, but I sure as hell don't remember it.

Not only did it not happen, those hair/skin color combos don't look like any plausible threesome of WoT women. I can't think of any important blonde without lots of red mixed in except for Birgitte, who that definitely isn't.

Ignominious confession: I reread the whole series like three years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Rothfuss has been busy posting reviews of the Rick and Morty comic books on GoodReads. The latest review had more words devoted to how he'd be a great writer for the show/comic than on the comic he was reviewing.

He also criticized Daggerspell for having flashbacks.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dienes posted:

Rothfuss has been busy posting reviews of the Rick and Morty comic books on GoodReads. The latest review had more words devoted to how he'd be a great writer for the show/comic than on the comic he was reviewing.

He also criticized Daggerspell for having flashbacks.

Linkage por favor.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

PJOmega posted:

Linkage por favor.

Pictures are linked.

An actual review for comparison.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
What would he write about in Rick & Morty? Morty lecturing Rick about how he has no idea what it's like to be poor?

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

HIJK posted:

What would he write about in Rick & Morty? Morty lecturing Rick about how he has no idea what it's like to be poor?

I tell ya, Morty. *braaap* There was this girl in high school, Morty. She was smart, demure, nerdy, I loved her, Morty. I *braaap* loved her. And now she's a popular girl, Morty. A dirty stinkin' slut, Morty. My heart's broken. But if we keep opening up portals to alternate dimensions, we'll find her, and now that I'm a rich and famous scientist, Morty, this time she'll fall in love with me. This time *braaaaaap* she'll love me like she should, Morty.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

StonecutterJoe posted:

I tell ya, Morty. *braaap* There was this girl in high school, Morty. She was smart, demure, nerdy, I loved her, Morty. I *braaap* loved her. And now she's a popular girl, Morty. A dirty stinkin' slut, Morty. My heart's broken. But if we keep opening up portals to alternate dimensions, we'll find her, and now that I'm a rich and famous scientist, Morty, this time she'll fall in love with me. This time *braaaaaap* she'll love me like she should, Morty.

This is pretty good! You should write for the show!

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I spent so long reading this thread and disliking Rothfuss that I am turning the bend into grudgingly liking him, I think.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Solice Kirsk posted:

This is pretty good! You should write for the show!

Even better, you could finish the last loving book motherfuck you rothfuss it's been like ten years

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Nikita Khrushchev posted:

I spent so long reading this thread and disliking Rothfuss that I am turning the bend into grudgingly liking him, I think.

If you don't attack him for his goodreads reviews, you're not one of us.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nice piece of fish posted:

Even better, you could finish the last loving book motherfuck you rothfuss it's been like ten years

Hey, "editorial work" can be difficult.

quote:

April 18, 2007
When Will Book Two Be Out?
I just thought I might as well make a brief, public statement about this as a lot of people have been emailing and asking me about it lately.

*ahem*

The second and third books of the trilogy should be coming out fairly quickly, considering how long they are and the fact that I’m fairly obsessive when it comes to my writing. That means book two should be out about two years from now. Book three will be a year or so after that.

Why so long? / I thought I read somewhere that you already had the second two books written?

The trilogy is already written all the way through to the end, but there is still some editorial work to be done. I want the second one to be at least as good as the first, if not better. That takes time.
http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2007/04/when-will-book-two-be-out/

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Someone should propose a fundraiser to Rothfuss. He sets a monetary goal for donations to World Builders, and if that goal is reached, he has to get the entirety of that blog post tattooed on his rear end.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ornamented Death posted:

Someone should propose a fundraiser to Rothfuss. He sets a monetary goal for donations to World Builders, and if that goal is reached, he has to get the entirety of that blog post tattooed on his rear end.

Also we should all post comments celebrating the 10 year anniversary of that blog post.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ulmont posted:

Also we should all post comments celebrating the 10 year anniversary of that blog post.

This is actually a very funny idea. When is the actual anniversary?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

This is actually a very funny idea. When is the actual anniversary?

April 18, 2017 (so 2 weeks ago and change).

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
A good author could land Doors of Stone. All you have to do is make Kvothe a retroactive lying loser. Intercut vignettes about what really happened with an explanation of why. Rothfuss can't do that because Kvothe is his special flower.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Chiming into this thread to say I got halfway through the WMF (just after the felurian) and it scarred me so badly I didn't read for pleasure for about 6 months afterward. Have been using it as a doorstop for years.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

A good author could land Doors of Stone. All you have to do is make Kvothe a retroactive lying loser. Intercut vignettes about what really happened with an explanation of why. Rothfuss can't do that because Kvothe is his special flower.

I think that might be part of the problem with getting Doors of Stone done. There's no way to end this in a way that Kvothe comes out looking like a cool guy like Rothfuss wants. He's an entitled little poo poo who constantly feels victimized because he wasn't born wealthy, even though a lot of his bad luck comes from him being lovely to people. It's basically a wish-fulfillment book about a nerd getting back at some rude preps and jocks, only something may have clicked in Rothfuss' to show him that it's incredibly childish and not heroic at all to have a hero of a book bethis way.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

This is what I thought was going to happen before hearing more about Rothfuss as an actual person, and now it's just something I hope for rather than expect.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
A ghostwriter could pull it off but Rothfuss would have to sign off on it I guess.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Signing off would be writing, which Rothfuss doesn't do.

May as well start recycling gurm jokes for Rothfuss now

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Maybe we can help Pat out by giving him endings:

Kvothe's story is true. All of it. The Chandrian marked him at thier first meeting and have groomed and guided him. He's so good at everything because he's straight demon powered. Perhaps it was a conscious deal, but he's an unreliable narrator to that fact. He's guided to hunt the Chandrian and ultimately the Amyr because they him to open up the Lackless family box.

Fortunately for the world, he gets a goony obsession over Denna. She friendzones him despite being magic-powered superman/
gently caress master and he eventually swears his name to her, which we've seen.

In the third book Denna rejects him in favor of being King Jackis' mistress. Kvoth uses his powers to kill the king but accidentally kills Denna in the process. Kvothe renounces his name. (gently caress it, Jackis is an Amyr and is protecting the box.) Kvothe, now Kote, can't open the box, loses his superpowers and is no longer influenced by the Chandrian. He retires to the inn to wallow in shame and regret. Bast is dispatched to protect him.

The scheme in the framing story is to appeal to his pride. The goal is to convince him that Kvothe is awesome and the only person who can save the world. He does so, opens the box, finds the key and goes to seize the limitless power hidden behind the door of stone. The plot is revealed, he is depowered and the Chandrian are able to access the door.

Then Auri appears wearing a spaghetti strainer for a hat and he and Auri defeat the Chandrian though the power of love and quirkiness. Fin.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Oh, right, that's what I promised to do least year.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Denna, being a singer, sings the tale of Kote, a worthless innkeep with delusions of granduer, to get rid of an average stalker. Her powers make this a reality. Bast, being an evil gently caress, uses the same reality warping powers to make the story of Kvothe actually true because it does so much more damage to the world as a whole thanks to the Cthaeh influence

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I'll just re-post my attempt at writing an ending.

SpacePig posted:

The series ends with Kvothe burning basically all of his bridges and never finding the Chandrian. He spends all of his time and expends every resource he has just to find Denna, who is sad and vulnerable all the time and easy to take advantage of. He finally gets to have sex with Denna, but is so good at it that he kills her, so he vows never to have sex with anyone ever again. His friends do cool things that he isn't a part of, and Ambrose get his comeuppance in a way some might consider humorous. Everything else is a footnote, at best.

Kote, having told his story and remembering his true self, surges back to his former self. However, his current body cannot handle it, and he crumbles to dust. Bast suffers a sadness of three parts, and blinks out of existence. Chronicler releases his book in 3 volumes, but at a much slower pace than he originally intended. The story's already finished, it's just stuck in editing hell, and the third volume will be out by the end of the year, he swears.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

- All his friends die because of him
- He doesn't really kill a king
- We never find out about saving a princess from a barrow king
- He becomes himself again at the very end of the book when he's forced to fight and kill Bast

I almost guarantee three of these four things will happen.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
"The King" is actually the name of a football-sized burrito served at a public house a few doors down from Kote's inn. If you can eat the whole thing in less than an hour, you're said to have killed the king. Suffice to say, Kote came and conquered.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
"Kingkiller" is actually an altered version of "kink iller," a nickname he got because he acquired a kink that is iller than anyone else's ("iller" as in the slang term "ill," like "oh man that's so ill," as in cool). His kink is so ill that everyone wants to have sex with him, except Denna, and she dies of sadness, and Kvothe has so much kinky ill sex that he gets burned out on sex and also loses his powers and ends up a sad innkeeper who can't get off on anything anymore.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Right when Kvothe finishes telling Chronicler his story, he's going to take off his cloak to reveal that he was in fact Vince McMahon the entire time. Bast, even though he obviously knew, is in awe and can't help but whisper, "ah, son of a bitch." Chronicler looks on in confusion as Kvothe-as-McMahon jumps onto a nearby table only to come flying towards him seconds later.

The Chandrian show up and turn the inn into a royal rumble. At the last moment, Denna shows up and distracts Kvothe, who gets thrown out of the inn/ring by Alaxel. Alaxel flexes, showing off the hate tree sigil on his t-shirt.

~Fin~

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
hello, whne is the third book out

bob

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

bob

Spring 2010

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Tamba posted:

Spring 2010

Looking forward to it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ugh, that's seven years away!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

bob

You already have the third book, my friend. It's in your heart.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kvothe's story is true. All of it. The Chandrian marked him at thier first meeting and have groomed and guided him. He's so good at everything because he's straight demon powered. Perhaps it was a conscious deal, but he's an unreliable narrator to that fact. He's guided to hunt the Chandrian and ultimately the Amyr because they him to open up the Lackless family box.

Fortunately for the world, he gets a goony obsession over Denna. She friendzones him despite being magic-powered superman/
gently caress master and he eventually swears his name to her, which we've seen.

In the third book Denna rejects him in favor of being King Jackis' mistress. Kvoth uses his powers to kill the king but accidentally kills Denna in the process. Kvothe renounces his name. (gently caress it, Jackis is an Amyr and is protecting the box.) Kvothe, now Kote, can't open the box, loses his superpowers and is no longer influenced by the Chandrian. He retires to the inn to wallow in shame and regret. Bast is dispatched to protect him.

The scheme in the framing story is to appeal to his pride. The goal is to convince him that Kvothe is awesome and the only person who can save the world. He does so, opens the box, finds the key and goes to seize the limitless power hidden behind the door of stone. The plot is revealed, he is depowered and the Chandrian are able to access the door.

Then Auri appears wearing a spaghetti strainer for a hat and he and Auri defeat the Chandrian though the power of love and quirkiness. Fin.

So it's a bad re-write of Berserk?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

So it's a bad re-write of Berserk?

Yet another thing I follow that will never be completed.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Kvothe doesn't have enough money to afford enough fancy clothes and art supplies at wizard college. He gets in another fight with the one teacher that is a sexist pig and scores a sick burn on him, but gets expelled from the school in the process. He does something badass and lays down a great quip, then pops a wheelie and leaves the school in his dust. He feels bittersweet about this because some of the girls at wizard college were loving him.

Kvothe has sex with lots of women who compliment him on how good he is at having sex. He also learns a new anime attack from a group of noble savages who have sex with him. He is sad however because Denna still will not have sex with him. Denna is now in a hosed up abusive relationship with Ambrose for some reason, also Ambrose is now king for some reason. Kvothe definitely watches them bang at some point. Denna refuses to leave Ambrose and Kvothe carries a printer for her across the entire poorly defined fantasy realm.

Kvothe plays the most beautiful song ever about his weirdo crush on Denna, and Denna finally agrees to have sex with Kvothe. But Tragedy! Ambrose kills Denna and then Kvothe kills Ambrose, and Kvothe is sad about this turn of events and can't magic properly anymore. The Chandrian just sort of wander through the background in one scene and express no interest in Kvothe.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Hey thought you guys might like to know a new book is finally coming out.

here's the link

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Dreqqus posted:

New books are always coming out. It's kind of fascinating, really. Just books constantly coming out. Sometimes authors even write multiple books in just a few years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Dreqqus posted:

here's the link

• Locked thread