Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I saw in the freeper thread that some of the anti abortion folk are saying this "defunded planned parenthood"? Is there any other source for that? And what mechanism did they use, because I'm pretty sure its not planned parenthood billing medicaid but whatever random independent contractor OB/GYN billing them, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

I saw in the freeper thread that some of the anti abortion folk are saying this "defunded planned parenthood"? Is there any other source for that? And what mechanism did they use, because I'm pretty sure its not planned parenthood billing medicaid but whatever random independent contractor OB/GYN billing them, right?

Yes, it defunds planned parenthood.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

If the Senate has to pass something by the end of May, nobody told Republican Senators:

quote:

"We're not under any deadline, so we're going to take our time," Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX), the majority whip, told reporters.
"It's the skeleton, but it's definitely still not the final product," Sen. James Lankford (R-OK) told reporters.

He predicted it would take at least six weeks to advance a bill, given the longer process for submitting and scoring amendments compared to the House.

I am pretty sure the end of May deadline is a myth given that I'd expect Cornyn, as the majority whip, to know if he had a hard deadline like that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Typo posted:

if it passes the senate yeah ppl will care cuz there will be trump voters dying on tv to curable diseases and poo poo and that makes republicans look bad

Idk sounds like a risky strategy, this is maybe the one thing that would get me to vote Republican

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
They've already missed their soft deadline in the FY2017 provision they passed in January, which was in March sometime. The May deadline doesn't matter.

The actual hard deadline is basically getting it done in September after the August recess, since FY2018 starts Oct 1st.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

evilweasel posted:

If the Senate has to pass something by the end of May, nobody told Republican Senators:

I am pretty sure the end of May deadline is a myth given that I'd expect Cornyn, as the majority whip, to know if he had a hard deadline like that.

Yes, John Cornyn would never knowingly lie to a reporter.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

It's section 103 of the bill. It prevents federal payments to states to cover medicaid payments to PP and it affects any "affiliates, subsidiaries, successors, or clinics of the entity".

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
My representative voted for the bill so I'm thinking about flooding his email and answering machine with messages asking if he will be attending the funerals of all the people he decided to kill.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rad Valtar posted:

My representative voted for the bill so I'm thinking about flooding his email and answering machine with messages asking if he will be attending the funerals of all the people he decided to kill.

Also there's a website somewhere where you can send faxes for free to a Congressthing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

esquilax posted:

It's section 103 of the bill. It prevents federal payments to states to cover medicaid payments to PP and it affects any "affiliates, subsidiaries, successors, or clinics of the entity".

So its an illegal bill of attainder. Got it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rad Valtar posted:

Do that. The more backlash the more the Senate will get nervous about following suit. And get your friends to do the same.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
As someone in MA would it be useful for me to call/mail representatives in other states? Maybe lie about where I live?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

evilweasel posted:

Do that. The more backlash the more the Senate will get nervous about following suit. And get your friends to do the same.

What if I show up at their office and start screaming at a staffer? From the next state over?

I just got custody of my two toddlers because my wife spent a decade beating the living poo poo out of my body and mind and we're all on Medicaid because despite having a PhD and a research position at a major university our family is still below the poverty cutoff and I just got diagnosed with throat cancer so maybe they will pardon me for not giving a red-assed buttfuck about which piece of Congressional dogshit is my own personal representative?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

mdemone posted:

Yes, John Cornyn would never knowingly lie to a reporter.

This isn't a very good argument, if this deadline exists just fuckin' cite it, right? As far as I can tell it's one of those things that people just started repeating.

hobbesmaster posted:

Uh, what?

tsa fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 5, 2017

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Of course not, it applies to any abortion-providing entity that gets over $350M in medicaid funds. It's just a coincidence that there only happens to be one of those

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

mdemone posted:

Also there's a website somewhere where you can send faxes for free to a Congressthing.

https://faxzero.com/fax_congress.php

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

so when does Senate vote? Someone said "tomorrow" but that might be overlap in date from today's vote

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I have a super expensive and super lovely Obamacare plan that I am obligated to buy. Will that part become fixed by this bill?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

so when does Senate vote? Someone said "tomorrow" but that might be overlap in date from today's vote

They can't vote until they have a CBO score on whatever the gently caress it is they're voting on.

And the CBO has to actually read the damned thing and think about it and run calculations before they release a report, can you imagine such a thing? Much easier to just judge and vote and die without reading, bing bing bong so simple.

Arkane posted:

I have a super expensive and super lovely Obamacare plan that I am obligated to buy. Will that part become fixed by this bill?

Well look who the gently caress it is.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

in a week or two (ie after CBO report) would be legally allowed. In a month or two is the near end of possibility

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 5, 2017

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Arkane posted:

Yes, as will the part where I have awesome coverage that costs me literally one-tenth of what my employer-based plan would, along with my two small children who were born premature and have pre-existing conditions.

You Nazi gently caress. Get the gently caress out.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Arkane posted:

:confused:

Why would you want to be uninsured.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Arkane posted:

Weren't you supposed to be getting named Ambassador to Russia soon?

Good news: It'll be less expensive. Or you won't be obligated to buy it but gently caress you're screwed next time you do need to buy insurance.
Bad news: It's very likely to be extremely high deductible with a low cap on lifetime benefit.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Arkane posted:

Yes! You get to die a penniless and untimely death. Congratulations!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

He doesn't; he's a disingenuous, greedy little scumbag who thought he had something clever to poo poo out of his mouth before tucking into a warm bed tonight.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

Yes! You get to die a penniless and untimely death. Congratulations!

and i thought there were no upsides to this bill

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I wanted to complain to my Senators and probably still will, but I made the mistake of checking their Facebook pages and they were full of people complaining that the AHCA isn't heartless enough. Texas Republicans :sigh:

On the plus side, a good friend of mine whose daughter is going to suffer very badly if the ACA goes away has decided to channel that energy into running for office. I think she'll get the thousand signatures and actually go through with it. :unsmith:

VitalSigns posted:

why do you hate are freedoms :freep:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
gently caress I thought Arkane got banned a long time ago.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arkane posted:

oh yeah? What plan? what level of subsidy did you get? What's your income? Oh, you're not going to answer any of those questions because you know god drat well you're completely full of poo poo? Cool, cool. gently caress you.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

If the choice is between a plan costing me hundreds per month + a large deductible or uninsured, I'll take uninsured.

if I can go back to where I was beforehand, I'd prefer just a regular ol PPO plan that isn't complete garbage!

empty whippet box posted:

oh yeah? What plan? what level of subsidy did you get? What's your income? Oh, you're not going to answer any of those questions because you know god drat well you're completely full of poo poo? Cool, cool. gently caress you.

I'm bronze tier in Nevada with no subsidy! Thanks for asking!

Arkane fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 5, 2017

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

Arkane posted:

If the choice is between a plan costing me hundreds per month + a large deductible or uninsured, I'll take uninsured.

if I can go back to where I was beforehand, I'd prefer just a regular ol PPO plan that isn't complete garbage!

So this bill will literally kill the most vulnerable among us, but hey look out for #1!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arkane posted:

So is it a silver plan, a bronze plan, or what? What's your income level? What level of subsidy did you get? Which specific plan are you using? These are all incredibly easy pieces of information to provide.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Arkane posted:

good news, when you get sick while not having insurance you'll never be insurable again and will die quickly, saving even more money

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Zifnab posted:

So this bill will literally kill the most vulnerable among us, but hey look out for #1!

Is it a unique circumstance that my coverage has become much more expensive and much worse? Or was that closer to the norm?

My first insurer in the state actually went bankrupt, and thankfully I didn't owe anything to doctors at the time, because they apparently stopped paying them -- https://www.reviewjournal.com/business/nevada-health-co-op-now-defunct-still-causing-headaches/

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

going without insurance when pre-existing coverage requirements are about to be gutted to save a few hundred a month you can afford is almost as good a financial idea as storing tens of thousands of dollars on an unregulated internet exchange!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Arkane posted:

Is it a unique circumstance that my coverage has become much more expensive and much worse? Or was that closer to the norm?

My first insurer in the state actually went bankrupt, and thankfully I didn't owe anything to doctors at the time, because they apparently stopped paying them -- https://www.reviewjournal.com/business/nevada-health-co-op-now-defunct-still-causing-headaches/
gee, why did that happen, maybe i'll read all the way down that artic...

oh

quote:

To be sure, the CO-OP is a victim of an unexpected cut in federal money designed to keep it solvent.
The Affordable Care Act created a “risk-corridor” program designed to help insurers cover higher-than-expected claims payouts if large numbers of sick patients enrolled. The problem? Insurers requested about eight times more risk-corridor payments than they contributed to fund the program. So the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, which is administering the law, slashed risk-corridor payouts. It will need Congress to approve more funding in 2016 to make good on the rest.
The bottom line: Nevada Health CO-OP got just $1.15 million of the $20 million it expected in the fourth quarter.

that's the program marco rubio convinced republicans to slash to sabatoge obamacare so that when this forseeable event happened, this forseeable sabatoge happened

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

gee, why did that happen, maybe i'll read all the way down that artic...

oh

that's the program marco rubio convinced republicans to slash to sabatoge obamacare so that when this forseeable event happened, this forseeable sabatoge happened

I mean, obviously it was super predictable and predicted numerous times (including probably myself).

But wasn't the company line that adverse selection was going to be mitigated by the individual mandate? A bit cheeky to call it a "forseeable event" in 2017, after tons of plans in tons of states have become basically insolvent.

Perhaps this was discussed already, and I'm changing the topic slightly....but if I lived in Iowa, and ACA was left unchanged, what the hell would I even do for insurance in 2018? I read that the last exchange insurer for most of the state was probably leaving next year.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
The plan was for federal funds to bail out health insurance companies who took a loss in volatile markets (federal funds for high risk corridors.) The GOP changed this so that the only revenue allowable for this was from a trust paid into by profitable health insurance companies; the treasury could not spend anything to cover the remainder. Unsurprisingly there's not enough money being paid to this trust by profitable companies to cover those who took losses, and the government is barred from making up the shortfall.

AK, IA, WV, actually most of the deep south, all have insurance companies that are owed money from this fund. They are not getting it, nor do they see the GOP actually fixing this, so they're pulling out of the individual markets.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Arkane posted:

I mean, obviously it was super predictable and predicted numerous times (including probably myself).

But wasn't the company line that adverse selection was going to be mitigated by the individual mandate? A bit cheeky to call it a "forseeable event" in 2017, after tons of plans in tons of states have become basically insolvent.

Perhaps this was discussed already, and I'm changing the topic slightly....but if I lived in Iowa, and ACA was left unchanged, what the hell would I even do for insurance in 2018? I read that the last exchange insurer for most of the state was probably leaving next year.

It was forseeable that some companies would get sicker populations than they expected and some would get healthier. In perticular what happened was plans that offered good benefits got sicker populations than they expected because thats who generally looked closely at the bigger networks, etc. That's what the loss corridors program was set up to buffer in the first couple of years and would wind down as insurers got the hang of the market places - but Rubio and the Republicans sabatoged it because they correctly figured that people would blame Obama rather than the people who actually hurt them. And you did!

It would be relatively trivial for Republicans to have worked with Democrats to improve the markets ito help their constituents, like you, instead of sabatoging them for political gain..but then you wouldn't be blaming Obama for issues with your insurer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Arkane posted:

This is very short-sighted, because if you get sick without insurance, or you get sick under a pre-ACA plan and exceed the lifetime limit or get dropped then you die. And you can't predict in advance whether this will happen to you (hence the concept of "insurance")

What is it, specifically, about the coverage of these older plans that you like better.

Arkane posted:

Nevada expanded Medicaid so the only way you could be ineligible for subsidies if your employer doesn't offer a qualifying plan is if you make over 400% of the poverty line, which is $48,240 for a single person or $98,400 for a family of four. How much is your plan.

And do you want a subsidy, or are you complaining about the concept of insurance itself.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 5, 2017