Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

There is a codex entry that says Helius 5G is based on quantum entanglement though so they either didn't bother to include a phone home or the call isn't going through because everyone ded.

:spergin: While everyone is ded, it's also possible the other receiver was destroyed in the Reaper invasion, which later killed everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

P. S. I want a Telltale game about humanity's first accidental trip to the Citadel where you can play as a space racist whose reaction to everything is "WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT BRO?

Just going to the Citadel for the first time in Mass Effect 1 is pretty much that. It's only 30 years since First Contact for the Humans, so you've got pretty high odds that anyone visiting there is doing so for the first time, Shepard included. Nevermind a pretty high percentage of visitors from other species likely never having seen a human in-person before.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

chiasaur11 posted:

But as things stand, it's looking to be in the very awkward middle. It sold enough that standard corporate decisionmaking demands they don't abandon things yet, but its also picked up a pretty unpleasant reputation. They can reboot again, and lose what fans this game has in the hopes enough people like the new stuff, which is pretty much doomed to failure, or they can stick with Andromeda, which means picking up baggage like they skipped out of the galaxy to dodge last time.

Betting on the next one flopping, what I'm saying here.

Since Andromeda was set in just a single cluster, things are still pretty open with where they can go story/setting wise within the Andromeda galaxy.

It'll be interesting to see how the DLC plays out. I suspect it'll be like DA:I in that we'll get one open-world add-on, one big linear "mission" add-on and one post-game mini-expansion.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You guys are making me want to play Mass Effect: The Original and Good One again.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.

Arglebargle III posted:

You guys are making me want to play Mass Effect: The Original and Good One again.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I want an edit of that with the text replaced with "im only human after all"

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Arglebargle III posted:

take off those rose tinted glasses as ME1 isn't all that great compared to 2 or 3

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
2, however, is the best game of all time

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I cannot wait to play Lost in Space: Space Gypsy Ark DLC msrp $29.99

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

:yeah:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

a primate posted:

I cannot wait to play Lost in Space: Space Gypsy Ark DLC msrp $29.99

on the plus side their strategy of having every alien have the same face will work great with the quarians

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pattonesque posted:

on the plus side their strategy of having every alien have the same face will work great with the quarians

They should have had all the sameface alien arks arrive first in Andromeda so that they could have more development time to work on very challenging DifferentFace™ technology.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

They should have had all the sameface alien arks arrive first in Andromeda so that they could have more development time to work on very challenging DifferentFace™ technology.

perfected in Mass Effect: The First One in TYOOL 2007 where they had like 17 different faces for Salarians, even though you could totally get away with it with Salarians

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pattonesque posted:

Shutterstock will have them covered.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

https://youtu.be/Da09Wel-gkE?t=5m28s

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I been playing the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer and its better than the MP in this game

:sad:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Don't see what the fuss is about, looks perfectly natural to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdBZ3Pg0-OM

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Moola posted:

I been playing the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer and its better than the MP in this game

Andromeda MP just feels like it has no impact

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

What did they change from ME3 MP to MEA MP? MEA isn't that fun, it's just wave after wave of bullet sponges with the occasional equipment unlock and I got bored super quickly.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Hobo Clown posted:

What did they change from ME3 MP to MEA MP? MEA isn't that fun, it's just wave after wave of bullet sponges with the occasional equipment unlock and I got bored super quickly.

it kind of feels like the weapons you have don't do all that much damage to even mook enemies

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

Andromeda MP just feels like it has no impact

yup

guns and melee especially :effort:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

DancingShade posted:

Borderlands 1 and 2 did open world better than ME:A now that I think about it.

The vehicles were sure a lot better.

And they even had more back tracking! What more could you ask for!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I liked Borderlands 2's sense of humour.

Especially what they want to charge me for those 5 year old DLCs. Haha.

Cunts.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Mass Effect 1 took a while to get really moving, and a lot of us are forgiving it for being 10 years old. It looks it, and it plays it. It was a relatively new mix of genres and ME1 got a lot right.

Many, but not all of its issues were dealt with in ME:2. It gets compelling quite quickly, and the story is propulsive and exciting, and the player is given much more control over choosing when to explore, when to have relationships, and when to do the main story. The ending boss is a little silly looking, sure, but its heart was in the right place. A more lovecraftian horror-ish image would have probably been a better choice. Whatever, it's a minor quibble. It plays great.

Mass Effect 3 has a lot of shoes to fill and a lot of questions to answer - some of which it does, quite admirably. The story gets off to a quick pitch and doesn't pull any punches, but the immediacy of the opening and the magnitude of the current threat doesn't quite jive with the meandering type of gameplay that Mass Effect embodies. Some of the concepts (like the crucible) come straight out of left field, but it's a story about ancient gods coming to kill all life, so it's easy to go with it. The stuff on Tchunka is fantastic, and then the game keeps building stakes - making it easy to ignore the artificial story elements the first time you play it. Finally there's an exciting end sequence and battle that ends with a 20 minute wet fart. And that's when you learn that they sold you a lemon.

Mass Effect Andromeda doesn't even bother with an ending or even much of a story. You start the game as a pathfinder struggling to emerge from your Dad's shadow, with the Andromeda Initiative, a pie-in-the-sky idea if there ever was one, in dire straights and practically on the verge of collapse. As was expected.

That's also how you end the game.

Oh sure, you use some magic alien-making technology to make a few worlds turn into less of a pain in the rear end, but there's no reason to think that anyone in this thing has the competency to get anything actually built. You fight some crazy puritan assholes who were also explorers, just like you. But gently caress 'em, the game adamantly says - they're pure evil, every last one of them.

It's 'barely anything happens and nothing interesting is learned', The Game.

Yeah, play Mass Effect 2.

Edit: And for gently caress's sake, if you have a PS4, play Horizon Zero Dawn. It's fantastic.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 5, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ashpanash posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda doesn't even bother with an ending or even much of a story. You start the game as a pathfinder struggling to emerge from your Dad's shadow, with the Andromeda Initiative, a pie-in-the-sky idea if there ever was one, in dire straights and practically on the verge of collapse. As was expected.

That's also how you end the game.

It really is a nothing plot, innit?

I mean, even the Kett you beat are basically just middle management, no different than any other rear end in a top hat, with the ending emphasizing how you changed nothing.

Also, play Nier Automata.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

tooterfish posted:

I liked Borderlands 2's sense of humour.

Especially what they want to charge me for those 5 year old DLCs.

The worst part of the Borderlands 2 DLCs are that they don't scale. I'd finished the game by the time the last one came out and everything in it was too low level and I didn't want to start again.
It's a real shame.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Also, my multi-tool can interface with centuries old foreign computers yet cannot handle email push notifications.

I'm ok with this because I don't need SAM telling me I have new emails every 2 minutes when I'm doing stuff outside the tempest as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ashpanash posted:

Mass Effect 1 took a while to get really moving, and a lot of us are forgiving it for being 10 years old. It looks it, and it plays it. It was a relatively new mix of genres and ME1 got a lot right.

Even where ME1 failed, it was at least trying. ME:Andromeda can't even claim that much.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

comatose posted:

I'm ok with this because I don't need SAM telling me I have new emails every 2 minutes when I'm doing stuff outside the tempest as well.
PATHFINDER YOU HAVE A NEW EMAIL

/opens email

subj: weather

PATHFINDER THE AMBIENT TEMPERATURE HAS DROPPED 5 DEGREES.

/marks as spam

TheVenetian
Jul 26, 2007

ashpanash posted:

It's 'barely anything happens and nothing interesting is learned', The Game.

ME: Andromeda- Time Passed, and Something Happened https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOCyADJaK_E

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Patiently but eagerly waiting for the patch that makes the game Good.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

Patiently but eagerly waiting for the patch that makes the game Good.

It just came out. It's published by Zenimax and they called the patch "Prey".

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Moola posted:

I mean it's literally the same loving thing, but different enemies.

I really don't get all the hate for this game, but then I remember one key thing: lovely Nerds

Carebearz fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 5, 2017

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Carebearz posted:

I mean it's literally the same loving thing, but different enemies?

I really don't get all the hate for this game, but then i remember one key thing: lovely Nerds

The enemies in ME:A are really, really boring. I don't even like multiplayer and it's an obvious answer here.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Carebearz posted:

I really don't get all the hate for this game, but then I remember one key thing: lovely Nerds

I hate nerds argh *posts on something awful.com forums*

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Taear posted:

The enemies in ME:A are really, really boring. I don't even like multiplayer and it's an obvious answer here.

to be fair, MOST enemies in any ME game are boring

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Moola posted:

I hate nerds argh *posts on something awful.com forums*

Yeah, you got me, I guess i'd be a cool guy if I spent my time threadshitting about a game that honestly is pretty good

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Carebearz posted:

Maybe it's been patched since, but a lot of the guns are pretty anemic compared to ME3 multiplayer. I think. I might just be comparing them to the ones I had after a few years of playing ME3 multiplayer on and off.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Carebearz posted:

Yeah, you got me, I guess i'd be a cool guy if I spent my time threadshitting about a game that honestly is pretty good

It's a bad game and that's been covered in loads and loads and loads of posts here. And not just by people posting dumb poo poo like Moola.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's ok to enjoy bad games, much like it's ok to enjoy greasy fast food.

That doesn't mean it's ok to get defensive about your Big Mac Value Meal with Extra Big rear end Fries when people say it's garbage. Just accept you're eating garbage, enjoy it and move on.

Also eat better. That poo poo is bad for you.