Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Sojiro Rank 3 is locked until you make coffee once, Rank 4 takes a poo poo ton of time to achieve because Rank 5 is plot gated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rangpur posted:

Yeah, I've been noticing Sojiro seems real stubborn about ranking up. Which sort of suits him, but I've got lockpicks to make dammit. I bought a couple gift items but never got a prompt to offer them, so I clearly misunderstood that mechanic.

You can make lockpicks on calling card nights, so that alone should last you the game unless you're picking locks to get Momentos garbage.

You can give gifts on the non-rank up days when you take people to other locations, it seems.

MMania
May 7, 2008
I wonder what the math is for you dropping money when your party is confused, lost 100k per party member somewhere ~ Palace 5-6.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
I'm like 99% sure one of my confused party members threw away a Soma very early in the game..

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Scorps posted:

I'm like 99% sure one of my confused party members threw away a Soma very early in the game..

I don't think you can get somas early

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't think you can get somas early

free dlc

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

Zaou-Gongen why do you randomly have Cripple in your learnset, you don't even naturally get any gun moves. :psyduck:

Does that work with your regular gun attacks?

If you want something weird, Moloch starts with Psiodyne and learns Agidyne as far as attack skills go. His other skills are Ghastly Wail, Devil Smile, Stagnant Air and Absorb fire. He naturally absorbs fire so arguably that last one is an upgrade, he also resists basically every magic element except nuke and light.

His capstone skill is Nuke Amp and that's what you can itemize him into. Moloch what are you doing.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

I could certainly just be remembering wrong, I would hope there is some kind of system that chooses shittier items before good ones but I'm not really sure

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Scorps posted:

I could certainly just be remembering wrong, I would hope there is some kind of system that chooses shittier items before good ones but I'm not really sure

if anything i think it's the opposite, it throws away high-value items before low ones

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

MMania posted:

I wonder what the math is for you dropping money when your party is confused, lost 100k per party member somewhere ~ Palace 5-6.

Why didn't you use Energy Shower to cure them? The most I've lost is 10k because I have Makoto and/or they die. I do worry that they will start throwing away my Bead Chains, Soma, and SP items.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I got two somas all game, one from the chest right before the final boss. If I had thrown away the other one at any point, I would have been in for a world of hurt, because I used it at that one spot that everybody uses a soma.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/05/04/persona-5-a-special-thank-you-from-atlus-to-the-fans/

Hashino gives a message after the first month of P5's international release. Don't read the first comment.

Does Hashino do press tours in the West? I'd love to see his response to someone grilling him on those two terrible gay caricatures.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I basically haven't done any fusion since making this guy so I'm in a pretty positive cash situation. The only reason I'm not using this against the final boss is because bosses are for SOME REASON immune to crits as opposed to making them able to be hit with crits but not knocked down like every other game. I didn't actually use any skill cards fusing this and am sort of disappointed skill cards exist because I miss 30-step fusions requiring a cork board with pictures of personas connected with strings like I'm trying to identify a serial killer.

I'm gonna get myself like four or five murder monsters before finishing the game and moving onto NG+, does Lucifer have Victory Cry in this game?

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I basically haven't done any fusion since making this guy so I'm in a pretty positive cash situation. The only reason I'm not using this against the final boss is because bosses are for SOME REASON immune to crits as opposed to making them able to be hit with crits but not knocked down like every other game. I didn't actually use any skill cards fusing this and am sort of disappointed skill cards exist because I miss 30-step fusions requiring a cork board with pictures of personas connected with strings like I'm trying to identify a serial killer.

I'm gonna get myself like four or five murder monsters before finishing the game and moving onto NG+, does Lucifer have Victory Cry in this game?

If you are dumb like me and didn't recruit like any personas until palace 3 you will have plenty of fun trying to fuse together combinations for the Strength confidant. I'm glad some Goons were able to help me out because I was real stuck on at least one or two sections of it and had no desire to spend hours getting the masks in mementos. Make sure you save that Seth though because you'll need him + the High Counter skill card from mementos for the last rank up

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Nope, only the NG+ Persona does.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm gonna get myself like four or five murder monsters before finishing the game and moving onto NG+

Get yourself a Yoshitsune if you really want to see bosses melt.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Scorps posted:

If you are dumb like me and didn't recruit like any personas until palace 3 you will have plenty of fun trying to fuse together combinations for the Strength confidant. I'm glad some Goons were able to help me out because I was real stuck on at least one or two sections of it and had no desire to spend hours getting the masks in mementos. Make sure you save that Seth though because you'll need him + the High Counter skill card from mementos for the last rank up

I've already beefed up maxing strength, I'm at the final dungeon now past the point of no return. Basically all I have left to do is fuse whatever Personas I want to bring with me on the next playthrough, so at this point my only real decision is whether or not to grind up to 93 to get Lucifer for NG+

Harrow posted:

Get yourself a Yoshitsune if you really want to see bosses melt.
I would have loved to see a Hassou Tobi critmonster build, but alas. Can it be transferred over, or no?

ChaosArgate posted:

Nope, only the NG+ Persona does.
drat, now it comes down to whether I want to use Lucifer just for the sake of being an edgelord (I do)

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
A little bummed out that I didn't get to a high enough level before beating the game. Never got to see insane Ryuji numbers you folks were bragging about.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I've already beefed up maxing strength, I'm at the final dungeon now past the point of no return. Basically all I have left to do is fuse whatever Personas I want to bring with me on the next playthrough, so at this point my only real decision is whether or not to grind up to 93 to get Lucifer for NG+

I would have loved to see a Hassou Tobi critmonster build, but alas. Can it be transferred over, or no?

drat, now it comes down to whether I want to use Lucifer just for the sake of being an edgelord (I do)

None of the Persona can really be transferred over outside of registering their stats to the compendium and then resummoning them in NG+ which will require you have a lot of money. You don't get to actually keep the guys you have besides in the compendium

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
So if I go to New Game Plus with no cash due to fusing high level personas I actually won't be able to summon them for a while in that NG+?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I don't think Hassou Tobi can be inherited unfortunately, though I haven't tried.

JackDarko posted:

So if I go to New Game Plus with no cash due to fusing high level personas I actually won't be able to summon them for a while in that NG+?

Correct, though Mementos money can help out with that fairly early on and with endgame equipment you can probably auto-attack your way through the first dungeon no problem.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

JackDarko posted:

Yes, if you go into ng+ without a slush fund you're basically only carrying over social stats until you can hit up mementos.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think something that people glossed over in that blog post is that Hashino will be leaving future Persona games to his successors and focusing on Atlus' new fantasy series. I wouldn't be surprised if Persona 6 had some shake-ups to the series as a result.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Harrow posted:

I wouldn't mind if it got patched out at some point but hold-ups gave more money or something like that. Confusion money is boring as hell but way faster than any other method. Like if enemies were patched to run out of money after dropping yen a few times but there were other efficient ways to make money I'd be a bit happier.

But also I will gladly take advantage of Mementos money while it's here which is probably forever because if it ain't been patched out by now it never will be so make it rain

why the gently caress would they patch things in a single player game because you singularly find it boring lol?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I finished!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, any gameplay poo poo is there forever. The game's been out for months in Japan and having an efficient way to grind monsy in a single player game is the dumbest thing to patch out anyways.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I think something that people glossed over in that blog post is that Hashino will be leaving future Persona games to his successors and focusing on Atlus' new fantasy series. I wouldn't be surprised if Persona 6 had some shake-ups to the series as a result.

I'd like something eternal punishment or innocent sin styled again.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Alder posted:

Why didn't you use Energy Shower to cure them? The most I've lost is 10k because I have Makoto and/or they die. I do worry that they will start throwing away my Bead Chains, Soma, and SP items.

Note that I nearly died to a certain miniboss that successfully Enraged my entire party with a single cast of the multi-target Rage spell (Wage War?). A miniboss that had multiple shadows with Reflect Physical accompanying him. Likely the only reason I didn't need a reset was my MC luckily had a Null Physical persona equipped, that also resisted the elemental spell the boss used.

Anyways, it's not impossible their entire party got Confused on the same turn, and thus there wasn't a chance to toss out Energy Shower or an item equivalent..

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

What's interesting about the difficulty in the game is that flat out, a persona that nulls physical or reflects it is always most effective. Also made hard not very hard? They also put the first null Phy and gun persona fairly early and then chain him into another around double his level when he stops being effective. That persona is also on one of your most likely arcana's to be maxed out first (chariot)
It's blocked on occasion but it's never disadvantageous to pull them out, especially because the ones who do don't have common weaknesses besides one, who you really only want so you fuse drain physical onto others.
Guns is a bonus, but is really only useful for Palace 5.

Oh yeah DLC only costumes in general was meh, considering even vanilla p3 has a few costumes.
DLC persona were stupid. They should have just added them in in NG+.
But I really want thanatos and messiah :(

OH also I don't hate palace 5 for the puzzle.
it was fine, if it were sooner it'd be great. The dungeon was dreadfully long and the boss was horrible, not difficult just meh.
Doing all of the dungeons in 1 in game day (besides 1 and 2), that one is longest, and has the most bullshit.

For instance multiple corridors where your ability to hide and wait for ambush attacks is removed because "gently caress it why not"

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 5, 2017

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

SectumSempra posted:

I'd like something eternal punishment or innocent sin styled again.

Maybe they could fit Fusion spells in the current battle system?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Doing away with the bonus crap for doing social links with the right arcana would be a good first step. That's just extra busywork to do.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

^It matters less than in persona 3 or 4 because in this game all extra ~affection~ if you will is carried over. So if you like study with the nerd 4 times and get 3 from responding right, you'll pick up the extra slack.
Also some social links just zoom up faster with or without a matching persona (Sun and Tower come to mind)

UNLESS you mean making the stat gates less intense. Then I agree.

OneDeadman posted:

Maybe they could fit Fusion spells in the current battle system?

Persona 3 did it solo.

With different party members, it'd work but they'd have to make it broad or go by arcana.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 5, 2017

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

we knew this already, for what its worth

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

Honestly, I would be down for that. Series spoilers ahead for P3/4/5: P5 was a great entry in the SMT series, not just the Persona series, but I think in terms of themes it tried to rehash too many moments from P4 and even P3. A lot of people were already suspicious of Adachi going into P4 because of the Ikutski twist in P3, and Akechi was just loving lazy. If anything, the game's actual twist is the team being smarter than Akechi, but it was frustrating as gently caress going through the entire game sitting on that "oh well gee Akechi heard Morgana talk, guess he's the bad guy" info and that was literally his first line of dialogue. Even the entire last stretch of the game about the general populous wanting to be controlled is exactly the same not-that-interesting idea that P4 tried to end the game with in terms of the fog.

Also, thing I'm upset about : I'm not really interested in NG+, but I guess I have to play through it if I want to fight the superboss. I hate that this is a recurring Persona theme

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I felt the intense stat gating was pretty silly in this game as well, but I looked at a walkthrough of Persona 3 recently and apparently it's just always been there

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I felt the intense stat gating was pretty silly in this game as well, but I looked at a walkthrough of Persona 3 recently and apparently it's just always been there

Stat gating never felt prohibitive in P3 because there were only three social stats, and each one had one method of raising them which was very clearly the correct way. On top of that, there were hardly any nighttime social links in the original games, and so nighttime was almost exclusively used to boost stats. Now that there's five of them and a million bazillion ways to raise stats and sometimes you can raise two at once or raise a social link AND a stat, you're just much more likely to hit a gate you aren't ready for.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Honestly, I would be down for that. Series spoilers ahead for P3/4/5: P5 was a great entry in the SMT series, not just the Persona series, but I think in terms of themes it tried to rehash too many moments from P4 and even P3. A lot of people were already suspicious of Adachi going into P4 because of the Ikutski twist in P3, and Akechi was just loving lazy. If anything, the game's actual twist is the team being smarter than Akechi, but it was frustrating as gently caress going through the entire game sitting on that "oh well gee Akechi heard Morgana talk, guess he's the bad guy" info and that was literally his first line of dialogue. Even the entire last stretch of the game about the general populous wanting to be controlled is exactly the same not-that-interesting idea that P4 tried to end the game with in terms of the fog.

Also, thing I'm upset about : I'm not really interested in NG+, but I guess I have to play through it if I want to fight the superboss. I hate that this is a recurring Persona theme

Well don't forget Morgana being some variant of shadow, thanks to Teddie reveal, his was a slight twist on it though. and The general populace thing is also very persona 3.
But you also aren't giving hat much connection to how close perception becoming reality for you thing is to persona 2's rumors becoming reality
It's going to be harder and harder to write a story with teens in high school in japan without repetition
So it'd be nice if they go eternal punishment adult or college aged. I feel even a different person heading it would step on some toes,
and even more when you consider the last 3 games are more or less in the same universe

I can't say I'd be disappointed with another game in the same vein as 2 3 4 or 5 though because I keep coming back for the gameplay and charm that are lying just outside the main story.
besides some small rough around the edges bits, this was pretty loving fantastic.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SectumSempra posted:

why the gently caress would they patch things in a single player game because you singularly find it boring lol?

That's not what I'm saying. I'm just saying that if they did, like in a rerelease, I wouldn't be upset about it if they also made another method of money-making better. Not that I actively think they should, because like others have said, if they haven't patched it by now they sure as hell never will.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

To avoid stat gates in p3 and p4, I used to just use NG+ game saves and ignore the compendium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SectumSempra posted:

What's interesting about the difficulty in the game is that flat out, a persona that nulls physical or reflects it is always most effective. Also made hard not very hard? They also put the first null Phy and gun persona fairly early and then chain him into another around double his level when he stops being effective. That persona is also on one of your most likely arcana's to be maxed out first (chariot)

Yeah, I feel like it's even easier in Persona 5 to make your MC an impenetrable wall of resistances than it was in previous Personas, but maybe I just know more about what to look out for now.