Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
eh some subreddits are totally bankrupt of anything good

but ELI5 isn't always bad and sometimes the question is legit and the top answer answers it well.. or r/outoftheloop comes in handy and the top reply isusually on point. saves a lot of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

my goth gf posted:

my fetish is comment threads that indent endlessly until each line of each reply contains a single word, then, eventually a single character

on a 4k screen :kheldragar:

a threaded message forum like Reddit should really have a trn-style interface for navigating around threads

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

echinopsis posted:

eh some subreddits are totally bankrupt of anything good

but ELI5 isn't always bad and sometimes the question is legit and the top answer answers it well.. or r/outoftheloop comes in handy and the top reply isusually on point. saves a lot of time

ive never needed something explained to me like im a five year old so i wouldnt know

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah??

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/539y59/eli5_where_do_internet_providers_get_their/

check mate

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

couldnt figure out what the whole question was from the url so ill never know what it is

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

DuckConference posted:

maybe it's just nostalgia but banning people for the slightest of infractions seems like one of a better aspects of the glory days.

:madmax:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

reddit with embedded quotes would be bad because there's so much noise on the site. maybe if they just really cranked up their algorithm for hiding replies.

people say reddit is the new popular whatever forum but i think they have a huge advantage because they're showing you a ranking of posts, so every thread looks great (until you scroll past the first reply)

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

karma encourages circle jerking. back to the future reference, dumb pun, hey you look like x celebrity; into the black dark silence of nobody loving gives a poo poo.

at least the dorks on this DGF know what they're talking about and get schooled if they're bullshitting. if you want to get an expert opinion there's no better place than here like 5 years ago.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Does quora count as a forum? I tend to see less trash-quality information there for some reason

Broadly though I think general discussion is something that's died on the internet as everything has become a hyper-focused niche (as a result of boutique discussion boards) or a micro-discussion that can't survive a thread of more than 4 comments.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 3, 2017

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
for real you all sound like grandpas discussing how nobody wants a good car anymore, it's all cheap rice burners, why would anyone want a Prius over this baby *pats gremlin with broken 8 track, doors rusted out to the handles and water pump made out of rubber bands and jb weld*

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
like reddit is lovely in a lot of ways, but whining about karma is dumb when we permaban anyone who voted for the loser every election and complaining about their lovely admins is dumb when our founder is whining on twitter about how the thought police won't let him say trannies are crazy for chopping off their dicks

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

A Pinball Wizard posted:

for real you all sound like grandpas discussing how nobody wants a good car anymore, it's all cheap rice burners, why would anyone want a Prius over this baby *pats gremlin with broken 8 track, doors rusted out to the handles and water pump made out of rubber bands and jb weld*

, i just got back from reddit and it's funny to see you still posting here

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

A Pinball Wizard posted:

like reddit is lovely in a lot of ways, but whining about karma is dumb when we permaban anyone who voted for the loser every election and complaining about their lovely admins is dumb when our founder is whining on twitter about how the thought police won't let him say trannies are crazy for chopping off their dicks

even though you're making a point I agree with, holy hell that's a hard sentence to read :(

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

A Pinball Wizard posted:

*eyes you warily while revving his vBulletin posting engine*

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think reddit has more lovely forums by any metric if we're going to change to that topic

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

A Pinball Wizard posted:

cool car analogy, but the sa forums are more like the batmobile than whatever u posted about. a sick custom with powerful weaps, oil slick, turns into a plane, etc. extremely badass.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Smythe posted:

cool car analogy, but the sa forums are more like the batmobile than whatever u posted about. a sick custom with powerful weaps, oil slick, turns into a plane, etc. extremely badass.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

holy poo poo actual blyatmobile

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fyad's current title is probably turning away potential new registrations

pram
Jun 10, 2001
fyad gets a buzzfeed article, no one cares about the rest

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

do we even want people who aren't brain damaged morans

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I doubt it.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
have the forums been rewritten?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Hogge Wild posted:

have the forums been rewritten?

Nice post.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Sagebrush posted:

fyad still exists?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
fyad's title is good

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

can we have a status stand up. just want to set expectations for stakeholders

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Smythe posted:

I doubt it.

it's bad. fyad should be deleted.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

it's bad. byob should be deleted.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

oh good we're in for sporadic 'help my computer is gay' threads well done to all involved.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

oh good we're in for sporadic 'help my computer is gay' threads well done to all involved.

i miss when you were a mod

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Is that happening?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i don't even know what byob is supposed to be tbh

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

akadajet posted:

chill.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

its like gbs but for sadbrains

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

my goth gf posted:

i thought that was gbs

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

my goth gf posted:

drat this is a good description

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Dongslayer. posted:

i thought that was gbs

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
id rather be a donkey brains than a gbser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

akadajet posted:

it was actually originally created as a hugbox for radium/lowtax because fyad was too negative lol

• Locked thread