Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah encounter building seems really hard to me as a new DM. It's ridiculous how much rulebook space in the DMG is used for magic items compared to that. Combined with the high HP/low damage monsters, I'm kinda at a loss. I regret quickly leveling the party to 5 like SKT suggested, it's really hard to challenge them at all even with encounters way past "deadly".

Though this doesn't address the art of making encounters (which I'm learning myself) there are some cool encounter makers out there for free. And I believe Grandeko made a really well regarded updated guide for measuring challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

DM wanted to try some poo poo that I think is homebrewed about magical effects from consuming dragon parts and it left my lore Bard with 13 wisdom.

I'm feeling like between that and a set of magic shoes I found that push me to 30 feet and don't allow armor encumbrance, I ought to dip into Forge Cleric for one level for a suit of heavy armor, the Shield spell and magic weapon trait. It struck me as out of character until I thought about getting to use the background feature that we don't have enough RP stuff to get to flex -- the background feature I have where I keep a shitload of religious symbols on me to get in good with any clergy.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Mr Beens posted:

LOL, 6-8 fights. Aside from the encounter building rules being so out of whack, the base health/damage economy has never supported this as a realistic goal unless you class fighting 12-16 kobolds in groups of 2 as an entertaining days adventuring.

Yes, that's why we're talking about extra hit points and so on.

Screwing around with what the expected encounters look like and how many of them you do per refresh is a better idea than screwing around with hit point totals and healing amounts, for sure. What does your game look like in terms of encounter difficulty and frequency?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah encounter building seems really hard to me as a new DM. It's ridiculous how much rulebook space in the DMG is used for magic items compared to that. Combined with the high HP/low damage monsters, I'm kinda at a loss. I regret quickly leveling the party to 5 like SKT suggested, it's really hard to challenge them at all even with encounters way past "deadly".
What? No! You speed level to 3, then slow things down dramatically so everyone can enjoy the few levels of the game that kind of function for as long as possible.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The encounter building rules are so easy and streamlined that even Mearls doesn't use them.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Speaking of lethality, my lvl 3 Hexblade Warlock with her full 38 HP got critted by a black pudding in SKT and hit the floor last night.

Then she started her turn in the space with the ooze, took damage (1 failed death check) then rolled a 1 for her actual death check and died.

It was kind of funny to me, because I had always viewed 5e as a little less 'hardcore' than 3.5 or AD&D, due to increased hit die sizes, no negative hit points, and hit die to recover at rests. The monsters just do so much damage though, and player AC's are so low. I looked up the 3.5 version afterwards and the difference is kind of crazy

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Black_Pudding
Challenge Rating 7

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Black%20Pudding#content
Challenge Rating 4

The 5e version has a lower challenge rating, and does more damage. Not that 3.5 was a paragon of balance, but it just seems crazy to me how often these things have happened so far in our campaign. Monsters do so much damage.

In any case, the GM was willing to have an NPC cleric cast revivify (ignoring the 60 second limit), but I just said screw it and I'm making a cat-person bard now.

SerCypher fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 5, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Just bought 5 5e books :toot:

they're the Forgotten Realms novels about the 4e-5e transition

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I know the rules for 5e are kind of inflexible, but last night my crew encountered a large bronze golem thing blocking a bridge over fast rushing water. It was clearly a large threat and as it activated it revealed unfurling bronze arms with swirling warhammers and started to slowly plod towards us on the bridge. Our Dwarf Cleric who was not armed (don't ask) elected to try and throw it into the river, then he held his action as our other Dwarf cleric (don't ask) got into position with him. They rolled a 20 and an 18, the construct rolled a 1 and they hoisted it up slightly off the ground and dropped it into the water before it could attack.

It was a good encounter. The DM set this up because we were crushing humans and undead so something that couldn't be charmed or blitzed by holy spells seemed like a tough challenge. He was also trying to force us to actually have a battle by placing the bridge there. What he didn't account for was dwarven ingenuity.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Tome of beasts is great, makes me laugh a lot too. There's a mind of flying eyes that telekeneticaly yanks at the players eyes, causing blindness or whatever, then if they fail the save again it rips the eyes out that go flying across the room and adding to its mass.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SerCypher posted:

Speaking of lethality, my lvl 3 Hexblade Warlock with her full 38 HP got critted by a black pudding in SKT and hit the floor last night.

Hey buddy -- I got one-shotted last night by that same pudding, but managed to get stabilized.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

Hey buddy -- I got one-shotted last night by that same pudding, but managed to get stabilized.

:hfive:

Wooo fellow ooze victium.

If I ever run this campaign, I'm not running the 1-5 portion. It just feels really lazy as it throws huge encounter after encounter at you, all within the span of roughly 48 hours.

I hear Phandelver makes a good replacement.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
My party beasted that cave with barely a scratch, despite being level 2 instead of 3. I feel like I'm doing something wrong but I think it was just a clutch moon druid.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

Just bought 5 5e books :toot:

they're the Forgotten Realms novels about the 4e-5e transition

Thats fine. The Sundering Novels I would be guessing.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

SerCypher posted:

If I ever run this campaign, I'm not running the 1-5 portion. It just feels really lazy as it throws huge encounter after encounter at you, all within the span of roughly 48 hours.

I hear Phandelver makes a good replacement.

IME the introductory levels of PotA were actually pretty good, it's just that the campaign then pulls the rug out from under you, because none of that content tied into anything at all, and the campaign itself is kinda poo poo. Other people here have basically said "it requires a DM who knows when/where to drop hints well" which is to say, the materials themselves do nothing to help the DM with that.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Speaking as a player, the whole 1-5 section of SKT is pretty boring, minus the section taking place on the giant's cool sky-tower. It then immediately heads into Sidequest City (lord help your GM if you rescue all the NPCs in the big battle) and our group went on break for the summer before anything interesting plotwise managed to happen.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Update on warlock insanity: I've got like 40 hours left of fuckin OCD until I can stop having to make wisdom saves to have my turns in combat. I don't know if there's a better way to implement the OCD thing in the middle-length madness table, but overall I'd consider that one pretty anti-fun. (We picked a really generous DC for it but I still made terrible throws and sitting out of combat rounds is pretty much the worst.)

The indefinite madness has been fun. I rolled the one where you can't take anything seriously and laugh the worse something gets. Given the dire situation our story is in, it means my dude is pretty much in gallows-humor mode. People have described "New Varis" as being a little creepier than usual but overall more fun to be around than the dour, secretive warlock I was before I got my mind blasted by reaching across space and time to stare a great old one in the face.

Pretty much everyone except the cleric likes insane me more than usual me. We can't fix my brain until we get access to a Greater Restoration effect. We're just on the cusp of level 4 right now. It's gonna hang around for a while.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Update on warlock insanity: I've got like 40 hours left of fuckin OCD until I can stop having to make wisdom saves to have my turns in combat. I don't know if there's a better way to implement the OCD thing in the middle-length madness table, but overall I'd consider that one pretty anti-fun. (We picked a really generous DC for it but I still made terrible throws and sitting out of combat rounds is pretty much the worst.)

Jesus, that's pretty goddamned bad.

My off-the-cuff idea for OCD would be a saving throw to let you do something else besides what you did the last turn. As in, failing means you just Eldritch Blast again, whatever, but I wouldn't make it be an outright stun.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I mean, it's phrased as "The character feels compelled to repeat a specific activity over and over, such as washing hands, touching things, praying, or counting coins" in the DMG so I can't think of a good way to implement that. Either it has to have some in-combat effect or it barely even registers to the point that it doesn't even feel like madness. I put the fault on the DMG here, but after experiencing it, yeah I'd probably make a custom madness table if I wanted to mess with this stuff as a DM.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
If I had to pick a disorder for my D&D caster it would be pyromaniac. I like to watch the flames.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Thats fine. The Sundering Novels I would be guessing.

Yep. Needed more FR novels. Couldn't find the Companions to finish out the cycle and I only mildly care because I'm pretty tired of Salvatore.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I mean, it's phrased as "The character feels compelled to repeat a specific activity over and over, such as washing hands, touching things, praying, or counting coins" in the DMG so I can't think of a good way to implement that. Either it has to have some in-combat effect or it barely even registers to the point that it doesn't even feel like madness. I put the fault on the DMG here, but after experiencing it, yeah I'd probably make a custom madness table if I wanted to mess with this stuff as a DM.

If it must have an in-combat effect, I think occasionally (or perhaps constantly) losing your turn is a little extreme. Instead, maybe something like "Make a wisdom save. If you fail, the compulsion to do [thing] distracts you from combat. Any of your attacks this round are done at disadvantage." It really sucks, and also doesn't rob you of actions.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Why would ocd rob you of actions? Are you a vampire and Mulder just scattered sunflower seeds
vvv I know I'm saying it's stupid!!

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 5, 2017

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

Why would ocd rob you of actions? Are you a vampire and Mulder just scattered sunflower seeds?

Nehru the Damaja posted:

mastershakeman posted:

vvv I know I'm saying it's stupid!

Sorry, I inferred the tone wrong. I agree though since a straight reading of the rules says no mechanical effect.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 5, 2017

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

P.d0t posted:

IME the introductory levels of PotA were actually pretty good,

All the combat is really unbalanced.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm fiddling with these fancy ritual implements we took from a desecrated shrine. I figure that's sensible considering trying to reconsecrate it blasted my brains and I stared chaos in the face. If I'm gonna fixate on anything it should probably be that. I think the OCD entry is like like the only one in the DMG long-term madness table that doesn't explain its mechanical consequence, which is kind of stupid. Definitely agree with SettingSun that occasional disadvantage would be a lot better because this is pretty anti-fun. Fortunately we're traveling now so we're banging out the rest of these hours pretty quickly.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

If you really want a mechanical, in-combat representation of OCD, then I'd go with making a Wisdom save at the start of every turn to avoid being forced to do the exact same thing you did the previous turn because you did it WRONG and they're still BREATHING and you NEED to get it RIGHT you don't UNDERSTAND just let me DO this. I'd also say you'd get advantage on the roll when doing the same thing is a blatantly terrible idea.

As a DM, I would also constantly shower you with inspiration for playing your flaw in a way that actively hurts your character. But I'd never force you to play like this, since it's just a character flaw that sits next to the other character fluff descriptors on your sheet that have no actual mechanical effect.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

It's just not D&D if you aren't attaching unnecessary mechanical penalties to every character flaw.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
i only have half my players tomorrow, so instead of cancelling, im going to run a side-story where the remaining players get to play as semi-pregen characters apprenticed to an evil wizard, who has appeared in the campaign some weeks earlier to vex the main cast of adventurers. they still don't even know his name, so I thought it would be fun to give the players a giant lore dump that their characters will never see. Anyone have any advice for this sort of thing? I'm going to be running a more adversarial dungeon than I normally would, with the idea that the players are all evil, they're in an evil tower of an evil wizard that had been teased as end-of-story content, and they're playing as npcs, so if someone dies it's probably not a big deal. I'll be writing a recap of what happens and the surviving characters will all return, but I'm still kind of wary about it. Like, I'm doing the side story so that I don't run major story events with half my players missing, but i've gotten wrapped up in it and also made it into major story content.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Ah, heck, there's no real problem.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Scyther posted:

It's just not D&D if you aren't attaching unnecessary mechanical penalties to every character flaw.

The game itself does not attach any. So this is purely the player and DM.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

It's learned behavior that comes from playing D&D.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Under the vegetable posted:

i only have half my players tomorrow, so instead of cancelling, im going to run a side-story where the remaining players get to play as semi-pregen characters apprenticed to an evil wizard, who has appeared in the campaign some weeks earlier to vex the main cast of adventurers. they still don't even know his name, so I thought it would be fun to give the players a giant lore dump that their characters will never see. Anyone have any advice for this sort of thing? I'm going to be running a more adversarial dungeon than I normally would, with the idea that the players are all evil, they're in an evil tower of an evil wizard that had been teased as end-of-story content, and they're playing as npcs, so if someone dies it's probably not a big deal. I'll be writing a recap of what happens and the surviving characters will all return, but I'm still kind of wary about it. Like, I'm doing the side story so that I don't run major story events with half my players missing, but i've gotten wrapped up in it and also made it into major story content.

Not exactly what you are asking about, but I was in a campaign one time where there was a session focused entirely on one PC, with the rest of our other PCs not present. It was an old PC who had died and this session was about her character fighting back from the afterlife to return to the party. Rather than the rest of us players just sitting around watching, we got to play one-shot evil characters who were basically twisted versions of our PCs (the Paladin played a Blackguard, the Cleric a Necromancer, etc.). We all had a lot of fun, even if the battles ended with the starring PC killing our characters. The evil characters all happened to be vampires, so some of them even survived to come back into the main quest as reoccurring NPC villains, and we enjoyed every time they would reappear.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Tome of beasts is great, makes me laugh a lot too. There's a mind of flying eyes that telekeneticaly yanks at the players eyes, causing blindness or whatever, then if they fail the save again it rips the eyes out that go flying across the room and adding to its mass.

What level are you supposed to run into this nerd? This sounds like it'd be really unfun as a player.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Cat Face Joe posted:

All the combat is really unbalanced.

I only remember the tomb fight being problematic, but :smugwizard: magic missile

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Starting a game as a Half Elf 1 Rogue / 2 Draconic Sorcerer. The rogue is a splash for skills and character background.

Using the PHB loadout and I've got my stats picked except choosing between a +1 bonus in Wis or Con.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

blastron posted:

If you really want a mechanical, in-combat representation of OCD, then I'd go with making a Wisdom save at the start of every turn to avoid being forced to do the exact same thing you did the previous turn because you did it WRONG and they're still BREATHING and you NEED to get it RIGHT you don't UNDERSTAND just let me DO this. I'd also say you'd get advantage on the roll when doing the same thing is a blatantly terrible idea.

Rather than the failed save forcing an action, I'd want to go with something like the failed save giving you disadvantage if you do a different action, because that gives the player a choice to make. "Take disadvantage" is usually a bad choice, but I can see situations where it'd be more appealing than repeating your last action again.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mango sentinel posted:

Starting a game as a Half Elf 1 Rogue / 2 Draconic Sorcerer. The rogue is a splash for skills and character background.

Using the PHB loadout and I've got my stats picked except choosing between a +1 bonus in Wis or Con.
Wis. They're both common saves and unless you're planning on tanking the +1 to perception will keep you alive more than +1HP per level.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 6, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
After playing some D&D and edge of the empire my friends have decided they want to try a game of Cyberpunk 2020. I've got the core rules and other resources, does anyone know of anywhere I can look for some help on running a game. I'm going to read the book today but I can already see that I'm going to want a little guidance.

Is there a generic rpg thread idk?

Sorry for being off topic a little. I bought a box of D&d models today in related news and find them to be of a very good quality. Do people ever paint them? I'm going to paint my guy this afternoon.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

JBP posted:

After playing some D&D and edge of the empire my friends have decided they want to try a game of Cyberpunk 2020. I've got the core rules and other resources, does anyone know of anywhere I can look for some help on running a game. I'm going to read the book today but I can already see that I'm going to want a little guidance.

Sorry for being off topic a little. I bought a box of D&d models today in related news and find them to be of a very good quality. Do people ever paint them? I'm going to paint my guy this afternoon.

I'm sure nobody will be offended if you talk and ask questions about a specific system in the TG Chat thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

JBP posted:

this thread's probably your best bet. Nobody is going to be annoyed if you created one for your question though.