Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Randomness is garbage

Variance is garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Randomness is garbage

Variance is garbage

Magic is garbage.

Play Chess.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Randomness is garbage

Variance is garbage

Variance is what makes it a repeatable game worth playing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Here's a talk Garfield gave on the topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av5Hf7uOu-o

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
It's garbage that blue continually gets the most mileage out of what should be 5 color mechanics. I say this as someone that loves pure blue permission decks.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Elyv posted:

Basically it's only really performed a role as a limited smoothing mechanic in Kaladesh itself at best. I'm not sure why it shows up so infrequently, but I'd guess that wotc wants a higher level of randomness in the game than we do.

SOI and AKH don't really count because they have their own cardflow mechanics. Mana sink mechanics like Awaken are also mild anti-variance tools in that they help you win specifically the games where you draw too many lands.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Smashing Link posted:

It's garbage that blue continually gets the most mileage out of what should be 5 color mechanics. I say this as someone that loves pure blue permission decks.

It's so dumb that an extremely blue ability is primarily in blue!!!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

It's almost like variance control shouldn't be in one colour's wheelhouse or something

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Read the Bones should be evergreen IMO

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

Playing 15 land and relying on cycling to hit your land drops is a stupid trap of a strategy in this format and will get you killed vs a lot of decks.

15 lands is correct more often in this draft format than 17. Only time I want to be running 17+ is if you are running the 7+ Mana non-cyclers like convergence or that black enchantment

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's almost like variance control shouldn't be in one colour's wheelhouse or something

it's not--mana smoothing is in green

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Anybody got a link to a fun Fling list? I saw someone posting about one that used Pummeler and Fling the other day.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Soul Glo posted:

Anybody got a link to a fun Fling list? I saw someone posting about one that used Pummeler and Fling the other day.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/603520#paper ???

Edit: Cheaper and better version: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/629228#paper

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 5, 2017

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Excuse me, cycling is obviously a red ability, since it's Rummage.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

68 cards? :confuoot:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Thanks! Also, yeah, why 68?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

PJOmega posted:

Excuse me, cycling is obviously a red ability, since it's Rummage.

:monocle: I never thought about it that way before.

But that can't be true because other colors don't get variance reducing mechanisms, only blue.

Also I was talking about scry.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Bugsy posted:

68 cards? :confuoot:

Also no sideboard I'm just pulling lists I thought looked cool.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Now that i think about it it's weird Mark Poole has a couple of cards in this set.

Dude did Ancestral Recall. And Painted Bluffs in Amonkhet.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
His Foul Orchard reprint looks really good as well, but its just in the walker deck.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
All y'all who think blue is too good right now are off your rockers.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

These exist for some reason (they're official)

https://minecraft.net/en-us/article/magic-gathering-comes-minecraft

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Tamiyo seems like a typical Minecraft player.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!
Am I crazy for wanting to put Eerie Interlude in my RW Humans sideboard for the Engulf the Shores blowout?

drat right I'm crazy

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Standard ✖
Magic Online ✖
Minecraft ✔

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Firebatgyro posted:

15 lands is correct more often in this draft format than 17. Only time I want to be running 17+ is if you are running the 7+ Mana non-cyclers like convergence or that black enchantment
I haven't done the math, but it seems like paying mana to hit land drops should be a losing bet?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Siivola posted:

I haven't done the math, but it seems like paying mana to hit land drops should be a losing bet?

It's a tricky science, and I don't yet have an opinion on what's right for this format, but the counter example is that you lose less game to flooding -- late game, or because of cycling. You're still very likely to hit land 3 by turn 3 with 15 lands, even w/o cycling (though obviously those odds are not considered good enough in most formats).

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Rinkles posted:

It's a tricky science, and I don't yet have an opinion on what's right for this format, but the counter example is that you lose less game to flooding -- late game, or because of cycling. You're still very likely to hit land 3 by turn 3 with 15 lands, even w/o cycling (though obviously those odds are not considered good enough in most formats).
It's a serious difference. You're going from a ~90% chance of hitting 3 or more lands in your first 10 cards to an 83% chance. There's also an unrelated 18% chance that you'll be colorscrewed after seeing 10 cards (with an 8-7 split) vs a 12.5% chance.
Given how crippling missing land drop #3/a color can be, I think going down to 15 is just too risky.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ein Sexmonster posted:

It's a serious difference. You're going from a ~90% chance of hitting 3 or more lands in your first 10 cards to an 83% chance. There's also an unrelated 18% chance that you'll be colorscrewed after seeing 10 cards (with an 8-7 split) vs a 12.5% chance.
Given how crippling missing land drop #3/a color can be, I think going down to 15 is just too risky.

I wasn't advocating playing 15 lands. I don't know how to account for cycling, never mind what numbers you'd use for number of cyclers in deck/cycling costs. But you can't handwave the problem away by saying that cycling for land drops is bad. It's too simple a statement, and the cost of running more lands is probably even harder to gauge.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Running one extra land equates to about a 50 percent chance at having one fewer spell in the late game.

If you get flooded and would have needed two more spells to turn a loss into a win, cutting a land wouldn't have done poo poo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That's why decks run more lands than they numerically want, because those first few developing turns are so crucial.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Even if you hit your land drop thanks to cycling, you end up one or two mana behind, so at best it's comparable to playing a tapland in this particular case.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Star Man posted:

Am I crazy for wanting to put Eerie Interlude in my RW Humans sideboard for the Engulf the Shores blowout?

drat right I'm crazy

Be even crazier and main deck it

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Jenx posted:

So here's what might be an odd question - do any of you know of any write ups or (even better) videos of rotisserie drafts? I know Shotgun Lotus did their Vintage Rotisserie Drafts a few years ago, and those were super fun to watch. Have other people streamed/filmed such? Googling mostly turns up nothing, or just articles explaining what the format is, so I was wondering if anyone has watched/read write ups of such drafts.

I did one of the Shotgun Lotus drafts and it was a lot of fun! You need to have a plan, and be ready to turn on a dime. I wanted to do a Grixis tempo deck, but when I had to fight Elliott Woo for it, I went into a Deadguy Ale brew that worked all right.

It's super fun, but you have to look at it like a fantasy football draft.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

Now that i think about it it's weird Mark Poole has a couple of cards in this set.

Dude did Ancestral Recall. And Painted Bluffs in Amonkhet.

Huh, I didn't even notice it was Poole. He's got an Island in this set too. I thought they'd basically stopped using him, he's done like 1 other card since Lorwyn.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Are they not streaming GP Richmond now?

Coverage was supposed to start at 10EST

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Are they not streaming GP Richmond now?

Coverage was supposed to start at 10EST

Wait, matches start today? I thought Gp's start on saturday.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

Wait, matches start today? I thought Gp's start on saturday.
You're right - they just do the trials / side events today.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Oh, maybe you're right I guess the Reddit says May 5-7 with Day 1 streaming which I would assume Day 1 would be May 5th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

GPs are always 2 day events, PTs are always 3 day events