Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Tank44 posted:

Update: broken fibula. Have a cast on now. Get surgery next week, out 2-3 months.

At least its not a sprain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Verman posted:

At least its not a sprain.

:boom:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Tank44 posted:

Update: broken fibula. Have a cast on now. Get surgery next week, out 2-3 months.

But hey you got a pretty good x-ray out of it! :v:........:smith: Yeah, sorry again. You going to have to get any screws?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

dogstile posted:

Why can't you snap your fingers and fix everything that's wrong with me right this instant?

Because that's not billable :stare:

Duke Chin posted:

I recently turned 40 why does my everything hurt?
:corsair:

I'm 46, I massively strained a trapezius taking off a tshirt not long ago. Play hockey, drink beer, pray with me for a quick death.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Tank44 posted:

That sucks. Hope you heal up quick.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Tank44 posted:

You and Polak can be busted foot buddies

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bigbillystyle posted:

I think there might be some Docs that do that stuff out of curiosity or being unable to determine a root cause for something too. I have severe arthritis in both my hip joints and my doctor has had me get x-rays twice, an MRI and even had blood work done because he can't figure out why this happened to me. No family history, no other problems, no personal history like hip dysplasia as a child or something. But yeah he's at least tried every avenue hoping there was some sort of weird cause to it that could be stopped where it is so it doesn't get any worse. Plus I honestly think he's just curious about why I would have such severe arthritis at such a young age, I'm only 33.

Nah dude just do some stretches and if that doesn't work then welp that's how orthopedic medicine works

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

^^ Looks like someone wants a belly rub.

Have you tried custom insoles for your shoulder problem?

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 5, 2017

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

a mysterious cloak posted:

Because that's not billable :stare:

I'm 46, I massively strained a trapezius taking off a tshirt not long ago. Play hockey, drink beer, pray with me for a quick death.

Would mild scoliosis explain why I constantly have muscle spasms near my left scapula? Or is that just because I'm falling apart?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

T-Bone posted:

Our Summer A league this year is going to be a draft which is cool because a lot of the junior/college/sphl guys play and any team stacking gets old fast. Unfortunately they kinda hosed up with captains. There are five teams, and while four of them have former pros as captains, one of them has the best goalie in the area....who is playing forward. He's not a bad forward but he's nowhere near the other four. Oh well, hopefully he drafts well. We get like 17-19 games games too which is pretty sweet for our league.

gently caress got drafted by the one loving non pro, oh well it seems like he drafted reasonably well and we have the best goalie

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Vargatron posted:

Would mild scoliosis explain why I constantly have muscle spasms near my left scapula? Or is that just because I'm falling apart?

Not really, unless you've got adult degenerative scoli.

Probably just falling apart.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

sellouts posted:

Nah dude just do some stretches and if that doesn't work then welp that's how orthopedic medicine works

Kidding aside about "haha stretching" I gotta say finding a new stretch has been pretty amazing for me.

Until about a year and a bit ago I was pulling my groin muscles every couple of months. I did all the normal stretches but scouring through YouTube I managed to find an athletic rehab channel that modified a stretch slightly to assist with the groin.

Since then I have not pulled my groin once in over a year and a half, after about a year straight of pulling it a half dozen times.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

People chirp me for kneeling on the ice and leaning as far back over my heels as I can but drat if it doesn't feel good. Stretches out those quads real good and makes me feel ready to play.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

xzzy posted:

People chirp me for kneeling on the ice and leaning as far back over my heels as I can but drat if it doesn't feel good. Stretches out those quads real good and makes me feel ready to play.

One time I arrived late and got in poo poo because I missed my first shift.

I missed it to complete my stretches because gently caress that I'm not ruining my groin for the next 2-3 weeks for one shift sorry guys.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

a mysterious cloak posted:

Not really, unless you've got adult degenerative scoli.

Probably just falling apart.

Why does the left side of my left forearm shoot pain up it whenever I do anything with it. It's making hockey more difficult than it already is. I was shearing alpacas today, pulling the fuckers around was killing me.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

doctor 7 posted:

One time I arrived late and got in poo poo because I missed my first shift.

I missed it to complete my stretches because gently caress that I'm not ruining my groin for the next 2-3 weeks for one shift sorry guys.

I don't usually stretch and I feel fine.

I thought I remember reading that stretching hasn't been proven to help or hinder. It's probably good to do it if it makes you feel better mentally though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It depends on what you mean by "stretching." Static stretches or yoga type stuff are frowned upon these days, but dynamic stretches are widely believed to help with injury prevention. Probably not in never ever level beer league because no one moves fast enough and we're not playing check hockey anyways, but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea. They get the joints lubricated a bit and warm up the muscles.

Not sure where research sits on the topic though, this is what I've scraped together from coaches and trainers.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I never stretch before games. Couple laps around the ice and a bit of stick-handling to get a feel for the puck. Then I spend the next 5 mins dangling the gently caress out of my goalie during shootout challenge.

During my game Wednesday, a D-man on the other team tried clearing the puck out of his zone off the glass. It bounced off the glass and directly into the side of my neck. I keeled over and slowly skated off the ice.

Later in the game, I took a pretty heavy snapper from the slot and it drilled the same dude in the balls. He also keeled over groaning.

We had a good laugh about it afterward. I think I got the best of that one, however.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

dogstile posted:

Why does the left side of my left forearm shoot pain up it whenever I do anything with it. It's making hockey more difficult than it already is. I was shearing alpacas today, pulling the fuckers around was killing me.

It hurts because you are full of sin and need to repent.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I never stretch before games. Couple laps around the ice and a bit of stick-handling to get a feel for the puck. Then I spend the next 5 mins dangling the gently caress out of my goalie during shootout challenge.

During my game Wednesday, a D-man on the other team tried clearing the puck out of his zone off the glass. It bounced off the glass and directly into the side of my neck. I keeled over and slowly skated off the ice.

Later in the game, I took a pretty heavy snapper from the slot and it drilled the same dude in the balls. He also keeled over groaning.

We had a good laugh about it afterward. I think I got the best of that one, however.

I've got a puck shaped welt on my leg right now near my knee. It wasn't even from that hard a shot, but I guess it caught me just right.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

I thought I remember reading that stretching hasn't been proven to help or hinder. It's probably good to do it if it makes you feel better mentally though.

I read that too but my personal experience seems to be different. I skate around for a minute or two, then stretch. Maybe it's placebo but gently caress if placebo prevents me from pulling my groin I'm OK with that.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Ginette Reno posted:

Static stretches don't necessarily help pre-game but there's lots of evidence that an active warm up that gets joints and muscles used to the activity under increasing load is beneficial

xzzy posted:

It depends on what you mean by "stretching." Static stretches or yoga type stuff are frowned upon these days, but dynamic stretches are widely believed to help with injury prevention. Probably not in never ever level beer league because no one moves fast enough and we're not playing check hockey anyways, but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea. They get the joints lubricated a bit and warm up the muscles.

Not sure where research sits on the topic though, this is what I've scraped together from coaches and trainers.

Basically this

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The phrase "increasing load" is used quite differently in our locker room.

e: VVV yeah, exactly that. Beers > stretching.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 5, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like my game prep ritual of "happy hour" followed by "get to the rink 3 minutes before game time" is way better than any of that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

I feel like my game prep ritual of "happy hour" followed by "get to the rink 3 minutes before game time" is way better than any of that.

That is indeed the way to do it

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

So I've been using a $50 stick for the past two years.

A week ago I splurged and bought a pair of $200 sticks on clearance for $100 (each). Same brand and curve and flex.

Holy poo poo the difference is pretty amazing. My blade doesn't bend open when I flick the wrists so my shots aren't flying over the net. It's lighter so I can feel the puck better and the bend is better so my shots have more power.

The only downside is with the lighter weight I lost the puck a few times because I'm used to a heavy blade just sinking on it's own during a bit of stick handling.

Really surprised at the difference because I'm not very good but from the first shot I remember going "holy poo poo" in my head.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Not suer where you got your sticks but All black sticks are nice and about 80-100$ish for a real nice quality stick. I'd definitely recommend them for anyone who wants a good quality stick that isn't obscenely expensive. http://www.allblackhockeysticks.com/

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

Not suer where you got your sticks but All black sticks are nice and about 80-100$ish for a real nice quality stick. I'd definitely recommend them for anyone who wants a good quality stick that isn't obscenely expensive. http://www.allblackhockeysticks.com/

Customer service from these dudes is really great too. Apparently it's just two dudes selling these sticks out of their garages, one met me in person in southeast michigan so I didn't have to pay shipping.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

sellouts posted:

I'm so far beyond stretches. I have had to have steroid injections in both hip joints just to get to the point where I can "stretch" if you want to call what I'm capable of stretching. Sucks balls but I'm managing it as best I can. The goal is to have me hobble and be in just enough pain, but not too much pain, until at least 40 when they'll actually consider replacing my hips. I should probably quit playing hockey but puck is life naw'm sayin'? Steroids, ibuprofen and beers will keep me going for now.

bigbillystyle fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 5, 2017

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bewbies posted:

pleads trigger warning

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
This guy is ridiculous https://www.facebook.com/greatbigstory/videos/1684478668521226/

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

Sadly I am in Canada but that's cool because they ship to Canada on another website, wicked.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

We broke like 6 of them in 4 games on our beer league team, I am guessing we just got a bad batch.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
One day, my team won't collapse in one period and let in 5+ goals before I have a chance to get back on the ice.

That poo poo is demoralising as hell.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

doctor 7 posted:

Sadly I am in Canada but that's cool because they ship to Canada on another website, wicked.

I thought about ordering, but saw that it was 40$ shipping on an 80$ stick.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

johncho posted:

I thought about ordering, but saw that it was 40$ shipping on an 80$ stick.

Yeah I'll stick with hockey supremacy free shipping over $149 and just buy clearance sticks.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Subbed in a B2 game on a whim, got the GWG with .5 secs left in the first, 1-0 win. Goalie played solid but drat it feels good to pick your head up, see the net, and put the shot where you want it.

Of course later I proceeded to comically eat poo poo catching an easy outlet pass. Evens out.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

As a low level beer leaguer, I can tell say mine has held up pretty well to banging it hard on the ice after missing what I thought was an easy shot.

I think I should be in the market for new shin guards. I took a few pucks off of the left leg to the side a little bit (where it still hits the plastic, but has less padding) and it stung. No bruise or soreness afterwards, though.

The ones I have now seem to be the only kind that fits well (so far) but I've had to replace the rivets at the parts where the padding attaches to the plastic. I tried to check out some new pads at the LHS, and loving hell they had all of 3 styles in my size.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I was barking a bit ago about a team that was in my coed league that was so obviously above the league skill level that it was going to cause problems.

After 23 goals for to 6 goals against in three games, the rink hockey director kicked them from coed (D4) up to D1. A few of the teams emailed him and said that they would just forefit their games against them in the future.

Honestly, it's best for everyone. Even though it's going to cause some Friday night games and byes weeks, nobody has to face off against a complete overmatch every five weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I heard about that. They punted a D3 team up to D1 this past week too (Rous). They had a 17-4 goal differential in two games I think.

I was genuinely shocked, I had no idea teams actually got moved around. I mean, the commissioner says he'll do it, but actually for real taking action? Stuff of legends.

Story I heard is that he actually hung out and watched some of the games and the instant he saw what was going on he started moving teams around.