Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

You should move it away from the fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

therattle posted:

You should move it away from the fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in7yLZJ7A6Y

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
My cat voted for Trump because Hillary stole the Democratic nod from Bernie, and my cat's a single issue voter on treat deregulation.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I think I am going to make a Middle-Eastern spiced lentil and aubergine stew tonight. I don't have a recipe in mind but I was thinking of a broad spice mix, maybe based on ras el hanout*. What should I serve it with - quinoa or rice (wife doesn't handle gluten well and my son is coeliac)?

*I was thinking of cumin, coriander seed, turmeric, ginger chili, smoked paprika, cinnamon, and a touch of ground cardomom and allspice. Now that they are listed I see it's basically ras el hanout, but I might add extra spices if those are flavours I want to accentuate.

Oh, and I might also serve it with a tahini sauce.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

therattle posted:

I think I am going to make a Middle-Eastern spiced lentil and aubergine stew tonight. I don't have a recipe in mind but I was thinking of a broad spice mix, maybe based on ras el hanout*. What should I serve it with - quinoa or rice (wife doesn't handle gluten well and my son is coeliac)?

*I was thinking of cumin, coriander seed, turmeric, ginger chili, smoked paprika, cinnamon, and a touch of ground cardomom and allspice. Now that they are listed I see it's basically ras el hanout, but I might add extra spices if those are flavours I want to accentuate.

Oh, and I might also serve it with a tahini sauce.

I'd do rice, personally. I also think quinoa is terrible.

*shameless plug http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Ras_el_Hanout

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'd do rice, personally. I also think quinoa is terrible.

What don't you like about quinoa? I find that cooking it in chicken bouillon instead of water+salt greatly improves its taste.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

rgocs posted:

What don't you like about quinoa? I find that cooking it in chicken bouillon instead of water+salt greatly improves its taste.

in the grand scheme of alternative grains it's probably dead last in terms of flavor.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I like quinoa. I do an overnight slow cooker quinoa porridge with ginger and cinnamon served with peanut butter and maple syrup which is pretty drat tasty. It also works well instead of couscous or bulghur wheat.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
FARRO FTW

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I like buckwheat. Either regular or the roasted one.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Discendo Vox posted:

My cat voted for Trump because Hillary stole the Democratic nod from Bernie, and my cat's a single issue voter on treat deregulation.

What are your cats' thoughts on Death Vox? Either way, sever.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ben Nevis posted:

I like buckwheat. Either regular or the roasted one.

Me too. Wife doesn't. I'll make rice tonight. This dish should have white rice, I think, but all I've got is brown. WOE IS ME.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

in the grand scheme of alternative grains it's probably dead last in terms of flavor.

Yeah, it's got little intrinsic flavour, but that's also why it's so flexible. It all depends on how you cook it and/or how you use it.

For example:

therattle posted:

I like quinoa. I do an overnight slow cooker quinoa porridge with ginger and cinnamon served with peanut butter and maple syrup which is pretty drat tasty. It also works well instead of couscous or bulghur wheat.

I'm going to have to try this as an alternative to oatmeal, went a bit overboard with a 5 Kg bag of quinoa that I now have to get through.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I like quinoa, mostly for it's texture.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

rgocs posted:

Yeah, it's got little intrinsic flavour, but that's also why it's so flexible. It all depends on how you cook it and/or how you use it.

For example:

I'm going to have to try this as an alternative to oatmeal, went a bit overboard with a 5 Kg bag of quinoa that I now have to get through.

Do! A half cup of quinoa makes two moderate portions. My slow cooker requires about 4 parts liquid (usually 1.5 cups water, 0.5 cups milk) to one part quinoa. I add a generous scoop of powdered dry ginger and a cinnamon stick. Oh, and some salt.

I'm not sure that dish really needed rice. I did some cinnamon caramelised onions and a tahini sauce, and all together it was delicious.

therattle fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 3, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Every time I do a veg and legume dish I usually add some rice , quinoa, cous cous or even pearl barley, but as you said, they don't really even need it and I keep reminding myself not to bother. Just cook more veg and legumes!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

On Sundays, I make a legume and veggie salad for the week for lunch. I usually use chick peas, but bought a big bag of mung beans and figured I'd try them out. Well, the pressure cooking instructions said 6-8 minutes so I went for 8. They were hopelessly overcooked, no good for a salad. I was going to pitch them but decided to see it as a challenge and figure out what I could do with a couple pounds of cooked mung beans for the week.

The other night I diced half of a large onion, six or seven large cloves of garlic, some about-to-turn cilantro, and mashed them with the beans including two flax "eggs" (each one is 1 tbsp flax powder to 3 tbsp water, stir and let sit for ~10 minutes), turmeric, onion powder, cumin, paprika, some cayenne, and some dried parsley. Mashed it good and put it in a loaf pan, then into a 400 degree oven for an hour.

It was a completely off-the-cuff non-recipe, but I swear it was the tastiest thing I've cooked in ages. It had a meatloaf-like consistency and the spices I used really really worked with the earthiness of the mung beans. I'd put this up as a vegan alternative to traditional meatloaf any time.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

discuss

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I'd listen to RADICAL SANDWICH ANARCHY.

Also pls give me induction stove tips because apparently we are buying a house with an induction stove I JUST PUT DOWN EARNEST MONEY TODAY OMGOMG

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ok here are some helpful induction stove tips
  • rip out your induction stove
  • put in a gas stove

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chip butty makes me the maddest because isn't that just a potato sandwich? C'mon, UK! This is why all your colonies rebelled against you, because you were eating loving cheese and pickle sandwiches.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Cheese and pickle sandwiches are great

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

mindphlux posted:

ok here are some helpful induction stove tips
  • rip out your induction stove
  • put in a gas stove

This is excellent advice that I intend to follow! ..... When we can afford it! But in the meantime I'm not eating out every meal. I'm already too fat for that poo poo. Plus, my SOON TO BE HUSBAND is learning to cook (and doing amazing things) but I'd want to know what to do / what to not do in the meantime.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Nicol Bolas posted:

This is excellent advice that I intend to follow! ..... When we can afford it! But in the meantime I'm not eating out every meal. I'm already too fat for that poo poo. Plus, my SOON TO BE HUSBAND is learning to cook (and doing amazing things) but I'd want to know what to do / what to not do in the meantime.

Don't drop or spill poo poo on it, I guess?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The Midniter posted:

On Sundays, I make a legume and veggie salad for the week for lunch. I usually use chick peas, but bought a big bag of mung beans and figured I'd try them out. Well, the pressure cooking instructions said 6-8 minutes so I went for 8. They were hopelessly overcooked, no good for a salad. I was going to pitch them but decided to see it as a challenge and figure out what I could do with a couple pounds of cooked mung beans for the week.

The other night I diced half of a large onion, six or seven large cloves of garlic, some about-to-turn cilantro, and mashed them with the beans including two flax "eggs" (each one is 1 tbsp flax powder to 3 tbsp water, stir and let sit for ~10 minutes), turmeric, onion powder, cumin, paprika, some cayenne, and some dried parsley. Mashed it good and put it in a loaf pan, then into a 400 degree oven for an hour.

It was a completely off-the-cuff non-recipe, but I swear it was the tastiest thing I've cooked in ages. It had a meatloaf-like consistency and the spices I used really really worked with the earthiness of the mung beans. I'd put this up as a vegan alternative to traditional meatloaf any time.

This is interesting. I recently bought a bag of ground flaxseed to try out vegan baked goods, but I'd never thought of making something like that out of it! I wonder if it would work for veggie burgers/patties?

It's like a pound of flaxseed so I need to figure something out. Probably muffins and cornbread at least.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
When I first encountered ground flaxseed I thought "great, I can add fiber to anything!" Until I tried adding it to a creamy soup while cooking, turned it into a sort of elastic goo.

Grue Bouncer
Nov 19, 2002

don't fuck you me, you

By my reckoning, a sub is a sandwich because it's two distinct pieces of bread held together by a small amount of bread/crust. A hot dog bun is more like one coherent bun with a slit in it. (this may be more true in New England, where we have a distinct shape of bun for our hot dogs.) Considering that in modern language you can sandwich anything between two pieces of anything else, I'd certainly consider an ice cream sandwich to be a sandwich. A wrap is one piece of flat bread, so that's right out. Leave it open and cut it in half and I'd consider calling that an open-faced sandwich.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Tiggum alt account spotted.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Over in the General Questions thread vermin posted a link to my new favourite youtube channel, and since we're in sandwich talk, I'm going to post this one here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXYoduN0kWs

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Is chili with beans between two pizzas a sandwich?

therattle fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 5, 2017

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

therattle posted:

Is chili with beans between two pizzas as sandwich?

That depends on whether or not it's circumcised.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

That depends on whether or not it's circumcised.

Well, there's obviously only one correct answer to that.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

We've had some cool noodle-making videos in here before, but this guy wins:

http://i.imgur.com/5WJUTMc.mp4

The Midniter posted:

The vegan-chef GF pretty much always puts flax in her veggie burgers. It really helps bind it all together.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Eeyo posted:

This is interesting. I recently bought a bag of ground flaxseed to try out vegan baked goods, but I'd never thought of making something like that out of it! I wonder if it would work for veggie burgers/patties?

It's like a pound of flaxseed so I need to figure something out. Probably muffins and cornbread at least.

It will absolutely work for veggie burgers/patties. I made some southwest-style patties with roughly mashed black beans, minced cilantro, corn, onion, garlic, jalapeno, roma tomatoes that I diced, removed the innards, salted, and rested for a while to pull as much moisture out as possible, and a couple tablespoons of flax egg substitute. Seasoned it with cayenne, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper. They turned out goddamn gigantic so I cooked them in the oven rather than in a pan, and ate them open-faced on beds of romaine with some guac and hot sauce. They were outstanding.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone got a good resource for trashy/stoner vegetarian recipes? I'm thinking poo poo thats like, make a pasta and then throw some doritos on it or whatever. I've found a couple fun looking things, but I'm working on a meal plan and I want to do a white trash Wednesday.

Or like yardsale which is like frozen hash browns, cheese, sour cream, butter with some frosted flakes sprinkled on top. poo poo like that. I need help.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Flax seed burgers turned out interesting. I think I might have used too much flax and didn't mash up the beans enough. I used 2 tbsp of flaxseed mixed in with 6 tbsp of hot bean broth for 1/2 lb. of beans.

I also added some finely grated carrot, a small onion, and I put some frozen broccoli in at the end of the bean cooking. I baked it in muffin tins so I could portion it for lunch - 1/2 lb. of beans made 10 muffin tins. I'm going to have the bean patties and put it in a wrap with a bunch of coleslaw.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with 2 cups of good bean broth, I'm thinking tofu and veggie stew with some gochujang but that might be weird.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Anyone got a good resource for trashy/stoner vegetarian recipes? I'm thinking poo poo thats like, make a pasta and then throw some doritos on it or whatever. I've found a couple fun looking things, but I'm working on a meal plan and I want to do a white trash Wednesday.

Or like yardsale which is like frozen hash browns, cheese, sour cream, butter with some frosted flakes sprinkled on top. poo poo like that. I need help.

Just hot dish everything.

http://www.forkinthekitchen.com/vegetarian-tater-tot-hot-dish/

Hot dish is instantly 100% cooler if your dish looks like Minnesota.

You could also maybe try corn flake panko frying tofu or quorn if that's what you're into. Or maybe make Cold Collard Sammies and Hoe Cakes http://www.tasteofsouthern.com/collard-sandwich-recipe/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 8, 2017

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
The French-Canadian propane grill I got for a bargain and came with wrong measurements and an instruction manual without words finally got put together :buddy: The entire time I imagined Hank Hill berating me and talking about superior American grill manufacturers.

Cooked some steak and shish-kabobs. Not bad not bad. Definitely gonna grill more this summer, hopefully minimum two times a week. Gonna buy a smoke box though cause as delicious as it was it didn't taste like charcoal.

rgocs posted:

Over in the General Questions thread vermin posted a link to my new favourite youtube channel, and since we're in sandwich talk, I'm going to post this one here:

The minute I saw that video I wanted to go out to the nearest Cuban restaurant. I think I'm gonna cook that if I can up my motivation game.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I love the juxtaposition of this post and the one that followed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Eeyo posted:

Flax seed burgers turned out interesting. I think I might have used too much flax and didn't mash up the beans enough. I used 2 tbsp of flaxseed mixed in with 6 tbsp of hot bean broth for 1/2 lb. of beans.

I also added some finely grated carrot, a small onion, and I put some frozen broccoli in at the end of the bean cooking. I baked it in muffin tins so I could portion it for lunch - 1/2 lb. of beans made 10 muffin tins. I'm going to have the bean patties and put it in a wrap with a bunch of coleslaw.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with 2 cups of good bean broth, I'm thinking tofu and veggie stew with some gochujang but that might be weird.

Yeah, for 1/2 lb. of beans, I'd just use one tbsp of flax for that amount.