Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Oh definitely rip that fucker out. Punk does not suffer the neck pickup excess of the ruling class.
I'm thinking of filling in the hole left by the pickup with Bondo and color-matching the paint so that people lookit it and go "wtf kinda sg is THAT?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
If you truly wanted to pay homage to the Stoner drone gods, you'd rip out the current net pickup and replace it with a Fernandez Sustainer system.

Infinite stoned sustain.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

GreatGreen posted:

If you truly wanted to pay homage to the Stoner drone gods, you'd rip out the current net pickup and replace it with a Fernandez Sustainer system.

Infinite stoned sustain.

Dawg I do whatever the reptile masters tell me.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Please stop listening to the little Matt Pike voice in your head.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

scuz posted:

I'm thinking of filling in the hole left by the pickup with Bondo and color-matching the paint so that people lookit it and go "wtf kinda sg is THAT?"
Just get a pickguard with only a bridge pickup cutout. It'll look factory as hell.

Speaking of pickguards, just got a DECOBOOM Atomic Rings guard for my goldtop:

edit: smaller pics

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 1, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I've always wondered how adjust the intonation on a guitar with a bridge like that.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Wark Say posted:

Please stop listening to the little Matt Pike voice in your head.

You watch your mouth.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I've always wondered how adjust the intonation on a guitar with a bridge like that.
You adjust the whole thing at once with set screws on either side. You obviously can't fine tune it on a string by string basis. The stock tailpiece gets you "close enough," but I swapped in a Mojoaxe tailpiece on mine, which has a top carve that matches the pattern of intonated saddles. Here's a pic stolen from Mojoaxe's site to demonstrate:

With this tailpiece, intonation is basically dead on as long as A) you have 3 wound and 3 unwound strings, so no wound G sets, and B) you have a fairly standard .009, .010, or .011 gauge string set. Get too adventurous with strings or tunings and it won't really work, but keep it "standard" and it's fine, plus you get the benefits of easier bending and no moving parts and all that. I'm a huge fan of wraparound tailpieces AS LONG AS they're on guitars that I don't gently caress with the tuning.

edit: And if you do need to intonate a wraparound bridge, there's always options like:

Hipshot

Vox

Pigtail

Leo Quan (and knockoffs)

TonePros

Schaller

Wilkinson

And others by Schroeder, Mannmade, Graphtech, etc. Really, too many to even list.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 1, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wow that's neat. Thanks.

Also, speaking of one-pickup guitars:

https://reverb.com/item/4700559-hondo-11-1970-brown

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
must needs a clean

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

butros posted:

You watch your mouth.
Listen: Snakes for the Divine is one of my top 5 records from the past decade and "Bastard Samurai" gives me a boner, but let's not pretend that Matt Pike does anything particularly note-worthy with his tone.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wark Say posted:

Listen: Snakes for the Divine is one of my top 5 records from the past decade and "Bastard Samurai" gives me a boner, but let's not pretend that Matt Pike does anything particularly note-worthy with his tone.

Uh Dopesmoker?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Uh Dopesmoker?
It's an OK record which only notable feature is the fact that it's a 60+ minute song. Pike has done better stuff through High on Fire.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Wark Say posted:

That Nux Amp Force pedal: does it do good modeling?

I don't really have a frame of reference because I've never owned any of the amps that it models, but it seems fine to me.

I've been using the modelling in GarageBand and this seems better sounding - As a plus, I have physical controls instead of having to point and click to change anything.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wark Say posted:

It's an OK record which only notable feature is the fact that it's a 60+ minute song. Pike has done better stuff through High on Fire.

Hey look it's the one other person than me who thinks this way.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

True fact: I prefer Holy Mountain to Dopesmoker

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

butros posted:

True fact: I prefer Holy Mountain to Dopesmoker

Holy Mountain, the song, is peak Sleep.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Between Sleep and High on Fire, I prefer Om.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

As card carrying member of the sludge doom stoner community, the idea of ripping the neck pickup out permanently is abhorrent.

King Buzzo didn't need no neck pickup when he was building the sludge foundation. :colbert:

(Well, it's a neck pickup in the bridge position, so... make of that what you will.)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

After The War posted:

King Buzzo didn't need no neck pickup when he was building the sludge foundation. :colbert:

(Well, it's a neck pickup in the bridge position, so... make of that what you will.)

Oh look the exception that proves the rule (I think that's how that works?). Buzzo does as he pleases. He also uses solid state amps. HE DOES AS HE PLEASES!

edit: I rarely used the bridge pickup on my Jazzmaster when it had original pickups in it, too ice-picky. When I switched to P90s the growl of the bridge pickup is amazing and I'm using it equally.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 2, 2017

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Holy Mountain, the song, is peak Sleep.
Holy Mountain is the best Sleep song, it's true, but Dopesmoker is good as a bridge to Om

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ugh NOTHING worse than Om snobs! Sheesh! :shrek:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

HoF is best because Pike realized 40 minute songs full of slow repetitive riffs are boring and fast metal rules. Also when all else fails take what you're good at and mix it with Motorhead.

brb hiding

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

when all else fails take what you're good at and mix it with Motorhead.

Words to live by.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I bought an honest to god Metro 24 board by Pedaltrain. No more home made pieces of wood for me.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Noise Machine posted:

I bought an honest to god Metro 24 board by Pedaltrain. No more home made pieces of wood for me.

Say goodbye to your hipster cred, you mainstream sellout. You'll never get that choking whiff of wood finish and sawdust again. :smuggo:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

HoF is best because Pike realized 40 minute songs full of slow repetitive riffs are boring and fast metal rules. Also when all else fails take what you're good at and mix it with Motorhead.

brb hiding

I dunno man I think what you like is cool and I like slow stuff too I think it's cool. More than anything I think we can all agree on being excellent to each other.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I dunno man I think what you like is cool and I like slow stuff too I think it's cool. More than anything I think we can all agree on being excellent to each other.
I love HoF, I love Sleep, I love Om, but let's be real I just love that fuckin Matt Pike guitar sound

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
New stuff!

I have an SKB rack with old-as-hell effects devices and such in it that are in various stages of "broken." Now that this arrived today I think I'm gonna clean most of that old junk out and put this in there, along with my old Behringer mic pre-amp and my trusty Alesis 3630.

My ART Pro MPA II showed up today. Most of the rack-mount gear I've held in recent years has felt a lot like an empty chassis. Something you could dent easily by squeezing on it a little. Not this thing. It weighs almost 11 lbs. I cannot wait to start working with this thing. I've learned a lot more about Mid/Side mic recording which lead me to researching microphones with figure-8 polar patterns, which is how I came across the MXL R144HE which is arriving tomorrow, along with a double pop-filter.
I'm going to try the R144 out on the Blues Jr. (now isolated in a coat closet in the middle of my apartment to avoid noise complaints and to let the amp itself breathe a little). Not mid/side recording for the combo, but I think Mid/Side will be very interesting to try for recording my acoustic, or for background vocals.
Since I can't leave well enough alone, I also ordered a pair of Mullard 12AX7s to replace whatever stock tubes are in the ART. Or should I put the Mullards in the Blues Jr. and put a couple of my new JJs in the preamp? Decisions....

Now, the MXL 2008 condenser mic in the picture was an impulse buy, and maybe a poor choice in the "you get what you paid for" department. I got an e-mail about how it was on sale, and as I've never owned or even used a condenser before I let the sales literature lure me into buying it. It wasn't expensive. Then, afterwards, I realized I could have bought it a little cheaper somewhere else. Plus, the reviews I've read since are less than glowing. I should have thought a little harder about that one, maybe. I was, however, very surprised to learn that there's a pretty healthy mod community for these kinds of mics, and this mic might benefit from a cheap improvement to the circuitry if I feel adventurous. I'll think about it after I've actually used the thing.
I'm a lot more interested in the R144 because I suspect the vintage-y ribbon-mic timbre will tame the highs on the Blues Jr., and it's rated to something like 130dB so I need not worry about damaging it with SPL from a guitar cabinet. Apparently, they're pretty fragile though and need to be well-cared for (as in, store upright, keep out of wind, don't knock it around, etc.)

Incidentally, this bring my total number of microphones all the way up to eight - woah! (One SM57, one EV357B, the 2008, the R144, and four of those wonderful old Realistic PZMs that I'm just really glad I bought when I could. Those things have a million-and-one uses.)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
sick vape rig

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Is that a cloth of shame draped over the Pod?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It's a fun little guy, I like him; but I don't use it much and it gets dusty. I think the PODHD is actually pretty nice for practicing, but I never use it now that I have my THR-10.

I don't get the vape joke but if it's the metal cylinder in the back, that's a flashlight. *shrug*

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 3, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If you're willing to part ways with the PODHD, send it my way. I use my old PODHD500 basically for my scratch/hood-rat demos and having the old Bean for the desktop would certainly be a heckuva lot more comfortable

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'll keep it in mind. I never actually considered parting with it. I've got the POD, the pedalboard, carrying case, plenty of CAT5 cabling, and the stand for it. I imagine once I get the powered reference monitors I'm looking at, I may get back into playing it more often.

DSP LIMIT EXCEEDED

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Upgraded from an SPD-30 to the SPD-SX so I could add samples. So far so good, but I wish the SX had the built-in voice library of the SPD-30

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'll keep it in mind. I never actually considered parting with it. I've got the POD, the pedalboard, carrying case, plenty of CAT5 cabling, and the stand for it. I imagine once I get the powered reference monitors I'm looking at, I may get back into playing it more often.

DSP LIMIT EXCEEDED

:cawg: When I started using my floor unit the first day I got it like 7-8 years ago, it gave me that message often. Then I realized that I wanted to do everything in one patch, which is dumb. So once I started using the rest of the foot-switches, it was child's play.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Wark Say posted:

That Nux Amp Force pedal: does it do good modeling?

Upon further investigation, I can say it does, at least as far as it models a Twin Reverb. I just finished a '61 Strat replica (which I should really post in here) and it's the closest I've ever got to sounding like recordings made with the real thing.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
I just purchased this cabinet:

It's a jcm800 cab from 1988. It's my first "real" cabinet and it sounds fantastic with the 5150 I'm using that is also pictured, the most epic of metal crunch tones.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I decided to get the last thing I wanted for my Clapton guitar collection, the Custom Shop Strat.

It's real nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gorewar posted:

I just purchased this cabinet:

It's a jcm800 cab from 1988. It's my first "real" cabinet and it sounds fantastic with the 5150 I'm using that is also pictured, the most epic of metal crunch tones.

Did you take a peek inside?