Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sagebrush posted:

(setting aside that i don't think you can brew coffee at 60C)

water requires 4.19kJ/kg to increase its temperature by 1K

0.025kg of water being raised 45 degrees requires 4.71kJ. for comparison, the iphone 6's battery stores 6.6 watt-hours of electrical energy, or 23.7 kilojoules. "making" "coffee" with this case consumes 20% of the iphone's charge (actually more since I'm ignoring efficiency).

a further issue is that applying 4.71kJ in 5 seconds works out to approx. 900 watts, so if the heater were used continuously, the iphone's battery would be completely drained in 26 seconds. but that is not possible. a modern high-energy lithium cell can discharge safely up to around 10 times its capacity per hour -- the 6.6Wh battery could discharge at a rate of 66 watts. exceeding this discharge rate for even a brief time risks overheating, thermal runaway, and battery explosion. the calculated rate of discharge required to meet the stated performance figures is fifteen times the maximum safe rate.

also, all of their concepts are blatantly 3d printed. they didn't even bother to sand or paint them to look like real prototypes.

why are these things allowed on kickstarter again?
i'm just gonna copy/paste this into the report field :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

0.025kg of water being raised 45 degrees requires 4.71kJ. for comparison, the iphone 6's battery stores 6.6 watt-hours of electrical energy, or 23.7 kilojoules. "making" "coffee" with this case consumes 20% of the iphone's charge (actually more since I'm ignoring efficiency).

a further issue is that applying 4.71kJ in 5 seconds works out to approx. 900 watts -- ninety times the USB power spec, and roughly on the order of the power drawn by a small microwave oven. so if the heater were used continuously, the iphone's battery would be completely drained in 26 seconds. but that is not possible. a modern high-energy lithium cell can discharge safely up to around 10 times its capacity per hour -- the 6.6Wh battery could discharge at a rate of 66 watts. exceeding this discharge rate for even a brief time risks overheating, thermal runaway, and battery explosion. the calculated rate of discharge required to meet the stated performance figures is fifteen times the maximum safe rate.

also, all of their concepts are blatantly 3d printed. they didn't even bother to sand or paint them to look like real prototypes.

ok now do it with a samsung note 7 battery

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beast of Bourbon posted:

ok now do it with a samsung note 7 battery

it's roughly double the size of the one in the iphone 6 so the coffee case would only be drawing 750% of the galaxy note 7 battery's absolute thermal maximum capacity

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

3d prints are real prototypes. In fact 3d printing is like totally meant for prototyping???

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well sure, for aesthetics, but i thought the rule on kicksharter was that you were supposed to have a functional prototype

a solid piece of phone-shaped nylon with a photoshopped stream of coffee coming out of it is...like...second year design school at best

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

well sure, for aesthetics, but i thought the rule on kicksharter was that you were supposed to have a functional prototype

a solid piece of phone-shaped nylon with a photoshopped stream of coffee coming out of it is...like...second year design school at best

No? You were supposed to have physical prototypes, to prove you could make something at all. Don't matter how crappy it is.

Because people would just post 3d renders and get funding for physical product.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

fishmech posted:

No? You were supposed to have physical prototypes, to prove you could make something at all. Don't matter how crappy it is.

Because people would just post 3d renders and get funding for physical product.
sagebrush believes that it's just a 3d-printed block of plastic with a bladder in it for coffee (which is against the rules), as opposed to a functioning prototype which heats the liquid and brews the coffee (which is what the rules say they should have)

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 5, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anthonypants posted:

sagebrush believes that it's just a 3d-printed block of plastic with a bladder in it for coffee (which is against the rules), as opposed to a functioning prototype which heats the liquid and brews the coffee (which is what the rules say they should have)

The coffee gets heated by being next to an active phone and it's dumb instant stuff anyway that's already mostly "done"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't think it even has a bladder in it for the coffee. I think it's a 3d-printed block of plastic with another 3d-printed block of plastic that slides into a hole and they're pretending that they have something that works. I know this because industrial design is literally my field of professional expertise. like -- they have some process photos halfway down the page that are showing gloved hands doing something mysterious and technical, but they're just cleaning resin off a stereolithographically-printed model. plastic models, nothing else.

the stuff they have would be fine for a conceptual product in a second-year design studio, where the point is to have the student work through a design process and build a representational model to evaluate form and fit and not really delve into engineering questions. i don't know what kickstarter expects i guess but they are nowhere near what even a layman would call a "working prototype"

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 5, 2017

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
seems like an even dumber vehicle for replenishable coffee filters and supplies than the juicero.

not like it will get funded anyway, but as fishmech said I'd assume this was like a sheet of some instant espresso garbage that requires no real "brewing"

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
Posting on page 666 Hail Satan

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/passover-of-god-at-3-a-m-jesus#/

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

fishmech posted:

The coffee gets heated by being next to an active phone
citation needed

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

he needs $30,000 to write a million lines of code but he doesnt really give any indication what that code is supposed to do

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

seems like an even dumber vehicle for replenishable coffee filters and supplies than the juicero.

not like it will get funded anyway, but as fishmech said I'd assume this was like a sheet of some instant espresso garbage that requires no real "brewing"

if you give the description a good look (and I guess have experience dealing with bad machine translations) you can figure out that it isn't even that complex.

the cartridge has the already brewed liquid coffee in it, kept fresh by some magic membrane. putting it into the case breaks the membrane and lets you pour it slowly through a tube which is heated by a battery within the case which heats it up to serving temperature. there is zero reason for it to be a phone case or have an app.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anthonypants posted:

citation needed

Phones produce heat in use. You only need to warm some tiny amount of coffee from the pack.

Enjoy dumb phone coffee that's mildly hot I guesz

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fishmech posted:

Phones produce heat in use. You only need to warm some tiny amount of coffee from the pack.

4.7 kilojoules

need to convert 20% of the battery power to heat and capture 100% of that in the coffee pack with no loss to the environment

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

4.7 kilojoules

need to convert 20% of the battery power to heat and capture 100% of that in the coffee pack with no loss to the environment

Not when all you want is lovely barely hot coffee

You ain't boiling this poo poo you're going to making it slightly warmer than it was in your pocket all day

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fishmech posted:

Not when all you want is lovely barely hot coffee

You ain't boiling this poo poo you're going to making it slightly warmer than it was in your pocket all day

so i dunno if you didn't read what they are claiming on the page or if you don't believe in physics or what

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

I don't think it even has a bladder in it for the coffee. I think it's a 3d-printed block of plastic with another 3d-printed block of plastic that slides into a hole and they're pretending that they have something that works. I know this because industrial design is literally my field of professional expertise. like -- they have some process photos halfway down the page that are showing gloved hands doing something mysterious and technical, but they're just cleaning resin off a stereolithographically-printed model. plastic models, nothing else.

the stuff they have would be fine for a conceptual product in a second-year design studio, where the point is to have the student work through a design process and build a representational model to evaluate form and fit and not really delve into engineering questions. i don't know what kickstarter expects i guess but they are nowhere near what even a layman would call a "working prototype"

sorry but actually fishmech knows more than you about literally your field of professional expertise

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
hail

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's true -- he was the world's smartest child at about the same time i was a child, so by the transitive property,

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sagebrush posted:

a further issue is that applying 4.71kJ in 5 seconds works out to approx. 900 watts -- ninety times the USB power spec, and roughly on the order of the power drawn by a small microwave oven. so if the heater were used continuously, the iphone's battery would be completely drained in 26 seconds. but that is not possible. a modern high-energy lithium cell can discharge safely up to around 10 times its capacity per hour -- the 6.6Wh battery could discharge at a rate of 66 watts. exceeding this discharge rate for even a brief time risks overheating, thermal runaway, and battery explosion. the calculated rate of discharge required to meet the stated performance figures is fifteen times the maximum safe rate.
nice

i dont follow where you get the 6.6Wh? i see the battery volume:

Sagebrush posted:

The 35x60x5mm battery lithium-metal able to heat 25ml of coffee from 15/20 degree up to 50/60 degree will happen in an estimated time between 5 and 8 seconds.
10.5mL, so plugging in the ridiculous absolute maximum energy density 730 W*h/L i get 7.6WH, 7.6wh at 3.7v is ~2000 mAh? you'd need 118C, when even RC stuff that really needs power tops out at 25? generously i can see 370w at a much bigger volume

it sounds really unreasonable

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

6.6Wh is the iphone's internal battery. i didn't realize the case had its own battery as well (yay, now you also need to charge your iphone coffee maker case)

and yeah the power draw they suggest is several times what even the most generous figures would safely allow

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
it's just... i mean god they're catching lightning in a bottle here and you just keep letting it out :mad:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i also bothered to look this up and of course italy has a national institute that defines what is and is not espresso

quote:

• Necessary portion of ground coffee 7 g ± 0,5
• Exit temperature of water from the unit 88°C ± 2°C
• Temperature of the drink in the cup 67°C ± 3°C
• Entry water pressure 9 bar ± 1
• Percolation time 25 seconds ± 2,5 seconds
• Viscosity at 45°C > 1,5 mPa s
• Total fat > 2 mg/ml
• Caffeine < 100 mg/cup
• Millilitres in the cup (including foam) 25 ml ± 2,5

doesn't even hit those figures

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Sagebrush posted:

exceeding this discharge rate for even a brief time risks overheating, thermal runaway

well those sound like things which would help you heat up the coffee faster

just ignore the third part that I snipped

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

anthonypants posted:

i'm just gonna copy/paste this into the report field :tipshat:

:yossame:

thanks sagebrush

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Pakled posted:

so the pyramid scheme is one thing, but how did it get funded so quickly? $750k in less than a day for an mmo in 2017? is this a money laundering scheme on top of a pyramid scheme?

lol it even got an endorsement by kickstarter
one way is to take out short term high interest loans, pay into your own kickstarter to gain fame as an overnight success, and then use the backers to pay off the loan interest.

this may leave them a bit short on income to complete the project, but fear not. while it's a shame that it will fail, at least they tried and that's the important thing.

although you could say the important thing is that the loan givers were their friends and they profited considerably, and next time around they'll be the loaners

e: hail satan

Spatial fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 5, 2017

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

so i dunno if you didn't read what they are claiming on the page or if you don't believe in physics or what

You're too focused on what you'd need to make real espresso from real starting points.

I'm focusing on what they're actually doing: selling tiny packs of pre brewed "espresso" and mildly heating it.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Just fyi the kickstarter for the dumb coffee case is up 1.7k since last night.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fishmech posted:

You're too focused on what you'd need to make real espresso from real starting points.

I'm focusing on what they're actually doing: selling tiny packs of pre brewed "espresso" and mildly heating it.

Yes, and they literally say in the description that it heats 25 g of water from 15 to 60°C. the energy required to do that is determined by physics.

Even if we assume the coffee is already at body temperature from being in your pocket, that's still roughly 350 watts required to meet their performance figures. The battery can safely source 60 to 80 watts. You cannot get around this

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

fishmech posted:

this is a real weak and disappointing fishmeching you're not even technically correct

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If they had just said that it takes 60 seconds to "brew" the coffee, they'd have something plausible. I believe you could draw enough power from the battery that size to heat up 25g of water to 60 Celsius in one minute. They'd still have all kinds of efficiency and insulation problems to work around but it wouldn't be literally impossible with contemporary technology.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

Yes, and they literally say in the description that it heats 25 g of water from 15 to 60°C. the energy required to do that is determined by physics.

Even if we assume the coffee is already at body temperature from being in your pocket, that's still roughly 350 watts required to meet their performance figures. The battery can safely source 60 to 80 watts. You cannot get around this

why do you think they're not grossly exaggerating about what it does, considering it's a kickstarter?

you keep insisting on pretending they're doing a real useful thing, when it's clear they're doing a far less useful thing.

like this is really simple.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sagebrush posted:

6.6Wh is the iphone's internal battery. i didn't realize the case had its own battery as well (yay, now you also need to charge your iphone coffee maker case)

and yeah the power draw they suggest is several times what even the most generous figures would safely allow
ah gotcha, it was close enough i thought you might be taking a reasonable energy density from somewhere else (iirc, the 730 ones are very temperature limited and ridiculously expensive?) but the device battery has a much bigger volume

EE's have knocked attempts at this kind of analysis because it's a lot better to just find the battery and go from there

BobHoward posted:

this is a real weak and disappointing fishmeching you're not even technically correct

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

saying "these numbers are impossible" automatically implies "they must be exaggerating"

i know there's a saying that goes "if you can't blind them with your brilliance, then baffle them with your bullshit" and it looks like you've shifted to the latter part of that curve in your old age, fishmech

no hard feelings, everyone loses their edge eventually

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

saying "these numbers are impossible" automatically implies "they must be exaggerating"

i know there's a saying that goes "if you can't blind them with your brilliance, then baffle them with your bullshit" and it looks like you've shifted to the latter part of that curve in your old age, fishmech

Sagey, can you work up the math on using an iphone battery as the power source for a laser or something that can melt through door locks? or maybe sort of like a light saber?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Beast of Bourbon posted:

Sagey, can you work up the math on using an iphone battery as the power source for a laser or something that can melt through door locks? or maybe sort of like a light saber?

it'd need to fit in the case, maybe with a switch on the side to activate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

so once again you're so stupid that you believe they were ever trying to legit brew espresso in the case, rather than pour a tiny amount of mildly heated premade cheap coffee from their packs. so you're an idiot. got it.

• Locked thread