Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
What's a good source of cheap, lovely plastic terrain? Kind of wanting something a little more fancy than styrofoam, but I don't want to pay 30 dollars for a single tiny building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Any of you spergs in the DC area? I live in Southern MD and might need to ham it up when 8th comes out.

DC/NoVA ham here. In the process of moving from one part of NoVA to another, but the ham fort should be up and running by the time 8th drops, if you want to slam hams.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Any of you spergs in the DC area? I live in Southern MD and might need to ham it up when 8th comes out.

Broken Record Talk posted:

DC/NoVA ham here. In the process of moving from one part of NoVA to another, but the ham fort should be up and running by the time 8th drops, if you want to slam hams.

I'm in Baltimore and incredibly bad at 40k, but I'm cool with getting tabled as long as I can get drunk during.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Are there any hard drinking Atlanta Hams?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
gently caress yeah local 40K spergs.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

mango sentinel posted:

Are there any hard drinking Atlanta Hams?

I'm close, I'm in the Savannah area.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

goose willis posted:

What's a good source of cheap, lovely plastic terrain? Kind of wanting something a little more fancy than styrofoam, but I don't want to pay 30 dollars for a single tiny building.

Sounds like you want either cardboard Infinity stuff, MDF, or to spraypaint everything in your recycling bin.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

SRM posted:

Hope you like metal!

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

That makes it even cooler

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Black_Nexus posted:

That makes it even cooler

Dr. Zin was an agent of the chaos gods in the third millennium.

Davidus
Jul 26, 2016
So I dug out some old unbuilt Whirlwind Hyperios kits to build and paint up because they look a lot less flimsy next to the helios launchers, but are they a load of bollocks now with the Stalker/Hunter kits for AA?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

goose willis posted:

http://pegasushobbies.net/catalog/Gaming/c9/index.html

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

gently caress yeah it does

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

From the unspiration thread:

Soulfucker posted:

28mm Model Terrain, Castle, Fortification, Warhammer AoS, 40k, LOTR, Empire fort

£20.00 Buy it now
8mm-model-Terrain-Orc-tent-Warhammer-40K-AoS-Orks-LOTR

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

goose willis posted:

Well, if you're looking for a large, affordable urban gaming table with plenty of LOS blocking buildings with frontages in the sci-fi gothic style take the naughty DIY rout. You could assemble a few buidling walls from a cities of death box set, say 2 panels high by 5 panels wide using plasticard to block out any windows or gaps. Then claim fair use to make a simple rubber mould of said wall sections you have constructed. Use the cheapest resin or plaster you can find to pour tilt panels and assemble solid buildings by cladding blocks of styrofoam. Just don't make your panels too big or you'll have trouble, I find 5x2 works well.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
The best way to make 40k terrain is and always has been hitting the flea markets and buying up all the old banged up dollhouses that are vaguely the right scale, grabbing a hammer and some clippers and going to town. You'll end up with amazing huge buildings that are completely unique and cost gently caress all. The effort involved doesn't much differ from putting together an official 40k kit either, depends on how much you want to decorate it I guess.

You also end up with weird poo poo when you're done, like one of the bigger houses we did had a sticker cat on the upper floor wall which we just painted over, except you can still kinda sorta see it in the sooty wall so it looks like some poor critter got vaporized there. Same house also had a weird doorbell that turned on the working exterior lights, which as you can imagine a bunch of hams get endless entertainment out of. Sadly no pics since we don't keep the poo poo at my house.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
A friend of mine commandeered a disused Barbie dream house when we were in school and basically removed the levels inside, cut it roughly in half, then made massive shell holes in the remaining walls and a rampart. I wish I had a photo, it looked like a big hosed up municipal building in 40k scale and you could often end up with three squads fighting inside it.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I really like the sets from scale75: https://scale75usa.myshopify.com/collections/scenery-ff

You will need PVA glue to assemble them, but they go together easily and are nice and thick.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I live in Stafford, one of the Badcast goons lives I think in Alexandria?

Come to NOVA.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Double post: For goons doing conversions, do not use the GW saw. Use a jewelers saw instead. It's a coping saw with a blade that's more like toothed wire.

In fact, grab one if you plan to convert anything.. do not try to slice through the plastic with a hobby knife, you will deform the plastic on one end, and it will also never end up as straight as you want it.

The jeweler's saw blade is also flexible and if you do it right it is possible to make a curved cut.

Here is what you should look for:

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Beads-Jewelry/Tools-Adhesive/Jewelry-Making-Tools/Saw-Frame-with-Blades/p/157414

Do not use this:

https://www.michaels.com/10223584.html

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

OhDearGodNo posted:

I live in Stafford, one of the Badcast goons lives I think in Alexandria?

Come to NOVA.

Oh poo poo, I'm in Alexandria myself, at least for the next 3 weeks. I guess we should arrange a local ham slam, since there's a decent number of us. Once I've finished moving at the end of the month, I can probably host, since I'll be in an all hams household.

In the meantime, there's a few groups in Frederick, MD that do stuff regularly. The bigger one meets from 10am-4pm, every other Sunday (13th and 27th of this month), and has a pretty epic space, if anyone is down for a bit of a drive.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Holy poo poo do I have a lot of gray plastic lying around.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I was moving my desk at work yesterday and forgot how much I had left unassembled/unpainted. I had two drawers full of sprues plus extra junk. I have a ton of terrain, a full Skitarii army, and close to a hundred assembled GSC staring at me waiting for painting.

Gonna have to get back to a decent pace to catch up for 8th. Probably start on a Knight I've had 4/5ths assembled but unpainted for a year.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Welcome back

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Welcome back

Who is he kidding, he never actually left!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Broken Record Talk posted:

Who is he kidding, he never actually left!

My username is my confession.

Seriously I have like four totes of unpainted crap, plus numerous smaller boxes, and at least one other box that I can't find but I just know is full of around a hundred unpainted Orks.

That said I may need a new army. Maybe Space Marines in an easy color scheme.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My username is my confession.

Seriously I have like four totes of unpainted crap, plus numerous smaller boxes, and at least one other box that I can't find but I just know is full of around a hundred unpainted Orks.

That said I may need a new army. Maybe Space Marines in an easy color scheme.

Yeah, I feel your pain with the Orks; I have 2 of those old GW army cases just full of Boyz. Not sure if I'm going to actually paint them, or just do something else. Been focused on 30k lately, so the 40k stuff has just been gathering dust for 2 years or so.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Do any stores have a good and cheap supply of SM shoulder pads, or is there a good CAD model anywhere?

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/05/new-warhammer-40000-battle-forged-armiesgw-homepage-post-4/

Formations are gone, flyers have their own slot now.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

This is good.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
The details on those force org charts are going to matter a lot, but wow, that sounds really good.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Definitely looks like maxing out on Command Points won't really be a thing, wow.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I want to know what the other detachments are, because the ones so far are just different-sized CADs, but so far this owns.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Flyers having their own FOC slot is a huge, good change--makes it very easy to make FOCs for smaller games that exclude flyers.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
Really surprised to see Formations get axed. I like the idea of specific combinations of units getting cool bonuses, and it works in AOS because they cost points.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Been liking a lot of the things I've heard about 8th but this is the first to genuinely surprise me and actually start pushing me towards maybe even getting a little hyped.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
30k style different FOCs instead of formations is good and cool.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I really, really like this change. Also like that what looks like the "standard" FOC requires 3 troops instead of 2.

e: Also it's pretty interesting that none of the 3 FOCs shown include a LoW choice

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 5, 2017

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

TheChirurgeon posted:

I really, really like this change. Also like that what looks like the "standard" FOC requires 3 troops instead of 2.

The smallest one requires 1-3 Troops and 1-2 HQ, so you can have an army with 1 troop + 1 HQ and then fill the rest with elites, fast, heavy, and flyers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

And no fortifications either. RIP Aegis defense lines, RIP Knights, I guess.

This is extremely good.

• Locked thread