Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

wicka posted:

invisible methanol fires

These scare the hell out of me. I've seen Christ knows how many exploding cars from watching drag racing so much as a kid, but those Rick Mears and Herm Johnson pit fires were much harder to watch than pretty much any of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

Well I'm literally watching Fontana 1997 on asopher1 rn so

Where? I couldn't find it so I watched a Eurosport broadcast.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The espn grid theme from '96-'98 is boss.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

If standard high throughput charging becomes better then EVs will probably supplant them. For small, affordable cars it is hard to see batteries coming in for a while - for these cars sometimes absolute profit margins become smaller than smartphones. Which is ridiculous when you compare supply chains. So reducing displacement with turbos makes sense in that class as long as the turbo is robust.

Honestly a lot of the passenger car secret sauce resides in ECUs and instrumentation which is controlled strictly in every racing series. I wish there was a series which took out aero and let them try to get traction back through electronic controls. I think these days aero development costs more than these electronic solutions - its not 1994 anymore and everyone KNOWS how to do it. Then you also get back custom engine control and monitoring...

If they can make the engine do more, and expose it a little so you could see that poo poo on TV, that'd be good.

All of this is excellent but wanted to add - to wicka's question about batteries, they can be recycled within their lifespan (you know Tesla's power wall? Daimler/Mercedes is working on the same, both for home and commercial use) and the tech continues to be developed to, hopefully, do more and be much cleaner in the supply chain.

Also, an open series focusing on battery tech and motors instead of aero would be awesome to watch. Cars need more power than the grip can handle.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

harperdc posted:

All of this is excellent but wanted to add - to wicka's question about batteries, they can be recycled within their lifespan (you know Tesla's power wall? Daimler/Mercedes is working on the same, both for home and commercial use) and the tech continues to be developed to, hopefully, do more and be much cleaner in the supply chain.

Also, an open series focusing on battery tech and motors instead of aero would be awesome to watch. Cars need more power than the grip can handle.

So... Formula E?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Cygni posted:

D&R - Chevy
Karam - Meecum

poo poo

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Karam gonna take Alonso out on lap 1.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

dentist toy box posted:

NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

So... Formula E?

I realized that part of the way through! But when more is opened up it'll be awesome to see. I also can't wait for the inevitable electric touring car races and the challenge of endurance racing.

But those aren't in Indy, yet, and Indy isn't the place for the wild experimentation anymore, unfortunately.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I have some follow-up questions related to that race:
  • Why doesn't Penske still own Fontana (or any other tracks)?
  • Why doesn't Penske still build cars for any series? Would it have been feasible for them to supply a chassis after they switched to the IRL?
  • What's the current oval lap speed record? Gugelmin qualified at Fontana at over 240 and that's totally ridiculous.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

wicka posted:

• Why doesn't Penske still build cars for any series? Would it have been feasible for them to supply a chassis after they switched to the IRL?
  • What's the current oval lap speed record? Gugelmin qualified at Fontana at over 240 and that's totally ridiculous.

IIRC? Long story short he sold it and used that money to expand his cup operations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

wicka posted:

After the disasters that were the last few cars they discovered it was much easier(and cheaper) to let someone else develop them. IndyCar has taken a bunch of the guesswork out with Aero kits at least but they still retain the ability to test and modify within the rules as they did when they switched to Reynard.

Hell iirc when they came back to Indy I think they brought all three chassis and let the drivers pick which one they wanted.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

1. I dunno
2. Watch 1998 and 1999. The PC27 and PC27B were mediocre and horrible, respectively. The Lolas and Reynards he used were Penskized though. I think the economics didn't make sense.
3. Gil De Ferran, at the same track, 2000 Penske Reynard-Honda.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

dentist toy box posted:

Karam pulls a Sato, but takes out four drivers in the process, leaving Alonso in the catbirds seat with 8 laps left.

Or he literally only takes out Alonso.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Surfer's Paradise 2000 is a gongshow. It did set up a good finale though.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I was just watching the end of the 2004 500 on YouTube and one of the commentators said, about Buddy Rice, "The bravado that he shows, with the hat turned around and the soul patch, that's all real."

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RjbYohogN4

Yo Cygni.

Any thing this guy is missing? He seems pretty thorough, but I imagine you have some info about how the engine was developed.

I think its worth noting that Honda corporate funded and was involved in the development of the CART engine, building off the success of the GTP Lights program that was ending as that series was collapsing. Much of the original engine was designed by running endless laps around Thunderbird with a team of Japanese dudes (many from Honda's motorcycle divisions) and American dudes from Comptech making sign language at each other. HPD was set up by American Honda around this time, with the goal of in-housing a lot of the development that Comptech had been doing on the grassroots and sportscar side in the past, now that they were busy with the CART program.

In 02, when CART died, Honda corporate supported died with it. Honestly, I think they were tired of the split politics as much as the decline in ROI. The engine from 03 on was American Honda, and started initially as a badge on an Ilmor design, with HPD taking more and more of the project on. By 07, they had formally in-housed the program, but Ilmor was still providing the trackside support. From '12 on, they design, built, and supported the program completely in house, all off American Honda money exclusively.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 5, 2017

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

dentist toy box posted:

This is the Indy 500 we deserve in TYOOL 2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I finished 2000. The cars were really being pushed to the limit this season. Tons of attrition, and a lot of different winners. Moreno and Fernandez and Patrick were phenomenal.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

harperdc posted:

You probably know but companies in Japan already sell battery bank, panels, and car as a package. But I think the issue is that cars give such economic potential to their owners so you're going to get more money selling a run down ev versus repurposing the pack to some storage bank.

I think team battery development is very difficult because batteries store energy and are dangerous done improperly. I'd like to see small tracks downtown running evs but again for a low cost series it's difficult. You wad up an ev, immediately the battery pack is forever suspect and it costs more than the rest of the car.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Were the Penske and Honda traction control rumors ever proven? Or was it heresay?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Indycar has an article up about it being the 15th anniversary of the (first crash into the) SAFER barrier.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/05/05-05-SAFER-Barrier-15Years

Anytime the history of the SAFER barrier comes up, the first memory that comes to mind about it is PEDS, the precursor to SAFER. Specifically, Arie Luyendyk's IROC 1998 crash into the inside wall coming out of turn 4. It was the only place the PEDS test barriers were installed, and he hit it smack-dab in the middle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bLvbamEK4c

PEDS ceased development due to them acting like springs that bounced the car away from them (see above) and "catching" the cars in lateral crashes, hooking them into a spin. Ultimately we got the SAFER barriers out of them, so hooray science!

P.S. on that video:

- Paul Page and Benny Parsons in the same booth. Swoon
- Can we bring back IROC? Bring back IROC.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

every time i see that crash i tense up. if he'd been hit by one of the guys behind him after he came back across the track it could have been catastrophic.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

You probably know but companies in Japan already sell battery bank, panels, and car as a package. But I think the issue is that cars give such economic potential to their owners so you're going to get more money selling a run down ev versus repurposing the pack to some storage bank.

I think team battery development is very difficult because batteries store energy and are dangerous done improperly. I'd like to see small tracks downtown running evs but again for a low cost series it's difficult. You wad up an ev, immediately the battery pack is forever suspect and it costs more than the rest of the car.

I'm banking on battery tech improving at such a rate that current car ranges won't necessarily be attractive as used options. Americans and Europeans have range anxiety, and Japan has shaken meaning few keep cars going forever anyways.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I was listening to Robin Miller interview Bobby Unser.

God Uncle Bobby owns. I need help tracking down a clip where he makes fun of Sam Posey after a Michael Andretti pit fire in Cleveland. Anyone have it?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

WindyMan posted:

- Can we bring back IROC? Bring back IROC.

Second. Only add drag racing and dirt oval to it this time, thanks.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Peanut President posted:

Second. Only add drag racing and dirt oval to it this time, thanks.

One of the rounds should be in Stadium Super Trucks.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WindyMan posted:

One of the rounds should be in Stadium Super Trucks.

:omarcomin:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Could bring back a F1 V. IndyCar meet up like the old days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_of_Two_Worlds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn4wC1A8joI

Jimmy Bryan and Jim Rathman, :911:''s kicking some euroopean rear end. Beating FANGIO and MOSS none-the-less!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_Questor_Grand_Prix

Mario Andretti, Bobby Unser, Mark Donohue, Sam Posey, Al Unser, and AJ Foyt

Vs.

Jackie Stewart,Denny Hulme, Jacky Ickx, Ronnie Peterson, Emerson Fittipaldi, and Graham Hill

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 7, 2017

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

FuzzySkinner posted:

Could bring back a F1 V. IndyCar meet up like the old days.

For a moment I thought you were talking about an IRL goon meetup between the Indycar thread and the F1 thread. No. Nope nope nope.

The news of Alonso coming to Indy had me in the F1 thread for as much as I've ever been on these forums. Now I know why they're The Worst Thread.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Cygni posted:

Uncle probably knows better than me (i think he works in this world), but it sure seems like Hybrids are dying unless your name is Toyota or youre making a hyper car. Pretty much every new non-truck I see these days is an I4 turbo or V6 turbo. 2017 Lexus NX, Merc GLC, Lincoln Continental, Volvo S90, etc. Unless you are reusing an older engine, really seems like everything new is I4 or V6 with a snail.

There are hybrid versions of the GLC and Volvo, and the NX is an utterly garbage car no one should buy. Haven't driven a Lincoln yet.

Hybrids aren't dying by any stretch of the imagination.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

drgitlin posted:

There are hybrid versions of the GLC and Volvo, and the NX is an utterly garbage car no one should buy. Haven't driven a Lincoln yet.

Hybrids aren't dying by any stretch of the imagination.

Every new mercedes is going to be a mild hybrid within a few years. The new i4 and i6 are designed from the ground up around an electric motor/generator on the crankshaft for the i6 and belt driven for the i4 that acts as the starter, alternator, can contribute 20hp on acceleration, recover energy on deceleration, and powers 48v electric motors that runs the A/C and water pump, as well as spools the turbo. Even though it's not called a hybrid, it's probably the easiest example to use for F1 tech being used in road cars.

There are so many benefits and so few drawbacks, i would imagine within 10 years almost every ICE engine production car will start to look like that, and it's all a directly related to what F1 is doing right now.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 7, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Mild/bolt on hybrids were the green washing I was talking about. They exist in the lineup but people don't really buy them. Hybrid sales in the US peaked in 2013 at 3.2% of sales and have gone down every year since then, to less than 1.85% today, with more than 70% of those being Toyota products. Sure a lot of that is gas prices, but nobody is really predicting a spike.

Maybe dying wasn't the right word, but they certainly don't seem to be roaring forward. Or worth the added cost and complexity in a racecar formula.

e: actually maybe mild hybrid is the solution, build a lovely spec bolt-on hybrid that everyone know does next to nothing and is easily disableable when it breaks. Its spec so people dont waste money developing for it, and manufacturers get to do their marketing and easier pitches to their board.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 7, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Stupid Goon question.

Why are AJ Foyt, and Gary Bettenhausen included as "favorite" in the Bill Swerski superfans sketch in 1990, but not Arie (front row starter), Emmo (defending champion, pole winner) or Michael Andretti?

I mean Foyt is the GOAT, but he was in the twilight of his career at this point. Bettenhausen was also a helluva hotshoe, but dude was in a Buick, and was in the 6th row.

I'm just using this as a stupid excuse to talk about old Indy 500's because it's loving May, and if you're not psyched about that fact? You have no loving pulse).

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Alonso asked Mark Webber if he wanted to also try to do the 500, reports MarkWebbersCareer.net.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/245257/1/mark-webber-alonso-asked-me-to-join-him-at-indy-500.html

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Alonso revealing how big of pussies every other f1 driver is.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

dentist toy box posted:

Where does one draw the line between not wanting to do a race out of fear, and not wanting to do a race out of sensible self-preservation?

Having flipped a car at Le Mans and in F1, I don't think less of Webber for wanting to avoid creating a new Triple Crown category. Same deal with someone like Mike Conway. A proven race winner in Indycar, but the guy just didn't feel comfortable on ovals. Who can blame him, after what happened with Wheldon and later Wilson?

I don't think less of those that don't want to run at Indy. But I do think more highly of those that do.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Mark Webber couldn't keep a Indycar on the ground. He's a realist.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

I definitely respect Mike Conway just on the fact he told AJ Foyt he didn't wanna run oval races which is arguably a more dangerous thing to do.

But yeah you're right there would be a 110 percent chance of Webber recreating that Mario Andretti practice crash from 2003.

dentist toy box fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

dentist toy box posted:

Considering Webber's habit of going airborne in 60% of his crashes, I can see the hesitation.

Edit: ^^^

• Locked thread