Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

loving ruined. Utterly ruined.

Nah it's not that bad, at least they found a way to ditch the dorito!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Yes let's put all of the heavy batteries in the highest and most forward point we can, I'm sure the handling will be just fine with a weight balance that makes Audi look good.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Kafouille posted:

Yes let's put all of the heavy batteries in the highest and most forward point we can, I'm sure the handling will be just fine with a weight balance that makes Audi look good.

51.5:48.5, so not much more than a typical LS swap. It undoubtedly has a higher center of gravity though.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The real crime on that FD is the front license plate mount. gently caress.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I never understood the hate of front plates, aside from maybe "THAT'S HOW THE COPS GET YA".

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

iospace posted:

I never understood the hate of front plates, aside from maybe "THAT'S HOW THE COPS GET YA".

They ruin the lines of the front bumper and look stupid when you're like me and live in a state that doesn't require front plates. I unbolted mine from the front bumper of my Vic within the first hour of owning it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

iospace posted:

Mostly because manufacturers don't always conveniently put a proper mount for them there, and some states force drivers to install them, loving up your front fender in the process.

NV supremacy

NRS 482.275  License plates: Display posted:

[Effective until the earlier of January 1, 2017, or the date on which the Director of the Department of Motor Vehicles notifies the Governor and the Director of the Legislative Counsel Bureau that sufficient resources are available to enable the Department to carry out the provisions of chapter 326, Statutes of Nevada 2015, at page 1745.]
1.  The license plates for a motor vehicle other than a motorcycle or motor vehicle being transported by a licensed vehicle transporter must be attached thereto, one in the rear and, except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, one in the front. The license plate issued for all other vehicles required to be registered must be attached to the rear of the vehicle. The license plates must be so displayed during the current calendar year or registration period.
2.  If the motor vehicle was not manufactured to include a bracket, device or other contrivance to display and secure a front license plate, and if the manufacturer of the motor vehicle provided no other means or method by which a front license plate may be displayed upon and secured to the motor vehicle:
(a) One license plate must be attached to the motor vehicle in the rear; and
(b) The other license plate may, at the option of the owner of the vehicle, be attached to the motor vehicle in the front.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

iospace posted:

let me help you

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Front plates are cool & good.

Don’t blame the state for manufacturer incompetence.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Wasabi the J posted:

Mostly because manufacturers don't always conveniently put a proper mount for them there, and some states force drivers to install them, loving up your front fender in the process.

NV supremacy

When I took delivery of my car in CA and told them not to drill the front bumper they made me sign some forms saying they told me I should do it and also that I took possession of the BMW factory front plate mounting bracket and hardware.

I don't think that would make no front plate legal per those NV rules.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Being from the UK where front reg plates are mandatory, cars without them look weird. Especially because most cars over here at least make a concession to a front plate by having a clear mounting point and not requiring drilling the front bumper directly. At least in most cases.

There seems to be a trend among owners of 10-15 year old VWs and BMWs of taking off the front plate and displaying it in the windscreen for whatever reason.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I bet that handles well. :v:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Vitamins posted:

Being from the UK where front reg plates are mandatory, cars without them look weird. Especially because most cars over here at least make a concession to a front plate by having a clear mounting point and not requiring drilling the front bumper directly. At least in most cases.

There seems to be a trend among owners of 10-15 year old VWs and BMWs of taking off the front plate and displaying it in the windscreen for whatever reason.

I had an Alfa 156 for a while with the off centre front plate and it always looked weird but in a cheeky way.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Vitamins posted:

I'm from the uk and I'm a huge chav who drives around with the plate in the windscreen, to be fair I bought the car like that and it even came with the front plate holder. When I put it on for the MOT man it reminds me how it makes the car look like it has a huge buck tooth and I hate it so I take it off afterwards.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Finger Prince posted:

51.5:48.5, so not much more than a typical LS swap. It undoubtedly has a higher center of gravity though.

200kgs heavier, with the weight higher up and much more forward. Weight balance is nowhere near the be all of handling - you can INSANE handling cars that are wildly forward or reward weighted. There is a Civic in Improved Production that will be clearly hugely FR weihted and nothing can catch it in a corner.

Two good reasons why a RX7 handles so well is that the centre of gravity ends up below the ground and the polar inertia is extremely low due to gently caress all being in front of the axle line. An LS swap or this abdomation severly fucks both,. all that mass forward of the axle or higher up? LOL if you think this RX7 will be even close to being the delight the stock one is.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

200kgs heavier, with the weight higher up and much more forward. Weight balance is nowhere near the be all of handling - you can INSANE handling cars that are wildly forward or reward weighted. There is a Civic in Improved Production that will be clearly hugely FR weihted and nothing can catch it in a corner.

Two good reasons why a RX7 handles so well is that the centre of gravity ends up below the ground and the polar inertia is extremely low due to gently caress all being in front of the axle line. An LS swap or this abdomation severly fucks both,. all that mass forward of the axle or higher up? LOL if you think this RX7 will be even close to being the delight the stock one is.

It's just as much a delight to look at, which is the extent of my experience and probably the only experience I'll ever have with one. Sure it's compromised in handling, but it likely goes like poo poo off a shovel and sounds rad, and you have to admit it's not even close to the worst thing people have done to those cars.

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

There is a Civic in Improved Production that will be clearly hugely FR weihted and nothing can catch it in a corner.

Jordan Cox? Now that guy is Awesome AI poo poo!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Finger Prince posted:

Also holy polar inertia

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Front plate chat... Arizona doesn't even issue front plates (unless you pay for custom plates), let alone require them!

Most dealers do not install the front plate holders here.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

track day bro! posted:

I'm from the uk and I'm a huge chav who drives around with the plate in the windscreen, to be fair I bought the car like that and it even came with the front plate holder. When I put it on for the MOT man it reminds me how it makes the car look like it has a huge buck tooth and I hate it so I take it off afterwards.
I've done it a couple of times, once when the double-sided tape holding the plate on failed on a really hot day, once when one lost the argument over approach angles off-road.

Adiabatic posted:

Also holy polar inertia
:hfive:
Yeah, it seems no-one ever talks about this when they're fapping over "weight distribution". Looking at you, front-engine-with-rear-transaxle designs.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Vitamins posted:

Front plates are mandatory here as well but they still look ugly and allow cops to send you BS tickets, so gently caress them. It doesn't really matter on most regular shitboxes but even on something as basic as a miata it looks like poo poo.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't had a front plate on my car in a state that requires it for three years now and I've never been dinged for it. Even during traffic stops for unrelated reasons. It's a really silly thing to enforce.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

um excuse me posted:

I haven't had a front plate on my car in a state that requires it for three years now and I've never been dinged for it. Even during traffic stops for unrelated reasons. It's a really silly thing to enforce.

Same, but for about 10 years. A lot of cops view it as busy work that they don't want to do, and if you don't give them a reason to they'll generally ignore it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I'm going to make a mechanism so I can clip my front plate on and off. They look poo poo!!!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Chemmy posted:

When I took delivery of my car in CA and told them not to drill the front bumper they made me sign some forms saying they told me I should do it and also that I took possession of the BMW factory front plate mounting bracket and hardware.

I don't think that would make no front plate legal per those NV rules.

Agreed, seems like this would strictly only help cars from low volume manufacturers that truly don't provide any real option. My CR-V and Grand Cherokee both look wonky as gently caress with front plates, but they both have manufacturer supplied components to mount it. Of course the Jeep one does require drilling the bumper, so maybe it would get a pass.

Still... AZ supremacy. Rear plate only, best plate.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Indiana is another no front plate state. One of the fee good things about this hell hole.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
On the smoking tire podcast Matt Farrah has mentioned a few times that a buddy of his makes vinyl license plate replicas that you stick on the front of your car and has had an anecdotal 100% success rate with them. I don't live in a front plate state and I don't own a nice car but if I did, that's the way I would go.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I know there are plate mount kits that mount to the crash structure underneath the bumper, or the tow point, so you don't have to molest your bumper to comply.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

When they fitted the front plate to the challenger they drilled the holes crooked so not only did they drill the bumper, they did it poorly. Kind of expected by the people who take 3 attempts to do an alignment on a 9 month old car.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

um excuse me posted:

I know there are plate mount kits that mount to the crash structure underneath the bumper, or the tow point, so you don't have to molest your bumper to comply.

There's a tow hook mount for my car, I'll buy one if I ever get a fix it ticket for the front plate.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

wrong thread.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Octopus Magic posted:

wrong thread.

Yeah, I probably should have posted it in the EV thread.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Two good reasons why a RX7 handles so well is that the centre of gravity ends up below the ground and the polar inertia is ...

Er... wut. I know things are upside-down in Aussieland, but that doesn't seem right. :D

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BigPaddy posted:

When they fitted the front plate to the challenger they drilled the holes crooked so not only did they drill the bumper, they did it poorly. Kind of expected by the people who take 3 attempts to do an alignment on a 9 month old car.

Chrysler :allears:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Vinyl plates always make me think of morris minors :3:

And you can get powered plate mounts that disappear at the push of a button.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

mekilljoydammit posted:

Er... wut. I know things are upside-down in Aussieland, but that doesn't seem right. :D

Naw, man, the RX-7 was famous for the osmium plow! It was this one weird trick road engineers HATE!

I'm gonna be nice and go on and assume that CAT INTERCEPTOR probably means the roll center, which CAN be underground and is very much not the same as CG; it's also entirely suspension dependent, so changing the CG doesn't move it. Changing the distance between CG and RC will make the car roll more, though.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My Abarth had two sets of holes drilled into the front bumper when I bought it (used).

A travesty.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Unreal_One posted:

Naw, man, the RX-7 was famous for the osmium plow! It was this one weird trick road engineers HATE!

I'm gonna be nice and go on and assume that CAT INTERCEPTOR probably means the roll center, which CAN be underground and is very much not the same as CG; it's also entirely suspension dependent, so changing the CG doesn't move it. Changing the distance between CG and RC will make the car roll more, though.

I'm kind of teasing, yeah.

I'm going to admit that I haven't plotted out, but I'd be surprised if the roll center is underground, at least not statically, because it's not really optimum. I'd expect the FD is around 2-3 inches above ground at the front.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Modus Man posted:

On the smoking tire podcast Matt Farrah has mentioned a few times that a buddy of his makes vinyl license plate replicas that you stick on the front of your car and has had an anecdotal 100% success rate with them.

I've seen one irl, and it's probably undetectable at 20ft on the move. Would be a real rear end in a top hat cop to take issue with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

In the middle east vinyl plates are available.
Youll see them on supercars mostly.