Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Fixed cameras? Seem pretty broken to me :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah Kobolds being little lizard dudes is pretty recent. I don't really know why the change was made. Maybe people felt bad about beating up doggies?

Changing Kobolds to lizards gave them more of a niche IMO. Before that they didn't have too much to distinguish them from goblins or other low level mobs. Now they're more obviously intended as themed cannon fodder for dragons.

Speaking of tabletop RPGs, I really enjoy the narrative of Pillars of Eternity but god is the combat a clusterfuck, which sucks because I'm really enjoying the narrative so far.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm not enjoying Bunny Must Die enough to bother continuing. Oh well.

On to a special game in my backlog list: Chasm: The Rift. It's special because it was one of the two games on my list that I had growing up before the age of Steam that I never did complete. I will do it this time :getin:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fixed cameras were fine in 1997 when we hadn't figured out anything better, but it 2017 now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I want more fixed camera angle games

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I don't agree with that at all. I think Crystal Chronicles stages are long enough that downtime between them is kind of appreciated, even with friends, unless they're jerks.

Not that the story or gameplay is that stellar or anything.

I was the guy who played Crystal Chronicles solo because A) having friends who B) also had GBAs with C) the connector cables was, it turns out, a pretty big ask. The game was still pretty fun though, and I wouldn't mind seeing something like it appear again now that online multiplayer is a thing that exists.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm playing Prey and it owns. This is the next gen System Shock 2 people were waiting for.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I liked the Crystal Chronicles ds game even if it was flawed, I would like a sequel but not a dull singleplayer thing and hopefully better than the Final Fantasy monster hunter ripoff on 3ds.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bioshock Infinite is still annoying me because I can't stop thinking about how dumb it is and the more I do the less sense it makes and the dumber it gets.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

In Training posted:

I want more fixed camera angle games

You know what I genuinely miss? Prerendered backgrounds. I'm sure it's nostalgia talking but I was always really fond of all the detail artists managed to cram into those in the Resident Evil/Parasite Eve heyday and while I don't find the pixel art trend as abhorrent as some, I kinda wish that someone would jumpstart a prerendered background revival.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

You know what I genuinely miss? Prerendered backgrounds. I'm sure it's nostalgia talking but I was always really fond of all the detail artists managed to cram into those in the Resident Evil/Parasite Eve heyday and while I don't find the pixel art trend as abhorrent as some, I kinda wish that someone would jumpstart a prerendered background revival.
It's something that you could do some pretty impressive stuff with that nowadays (especially if you used that trick Square loved back in the PS1 days where the background was an FMV so you could pan the camera around as the player moved). For an older example, look at Resident Evil 1's remake on Gamecube, which used pre-rendered/FMV graphics so as to allow for much higher-polygon characters than would normally be possible on the hardware.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

I'm not enjoying Bunny Must Die enough to bother continuing. Oh well.

On to a special game in my backlog list: Chasm: The Rift. It's special because it was one of the two games on my list that I had growing up before the age of Steam that I never did complete. I will do it this time :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSH2-7am9B8

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Perhaps what you really miss is actual art direction, which prerendered backgrounds kind of go hand in hand with. Though they are of course not the only way to do it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bayonetta was good. The story made no sense to me. Also I'm glad they had those lovely turret, rail shooter, and running sequences to kill any obsession with getting all platinums or anything

Edit: Also a game with amnesia!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

chumbler posted:

Perhaps what you really miss is actual art direction, which prerendered backgrounds kind of go hand in hand with. Though they are of course not the only way to do it.

I mean I do appreciate good art direction but I don't feel as though modern gaming is bereft of that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny have pre-rendered backgrounds or are they just 3D mocked up to look like old Infinity Engine games?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sakurazuka posted:

Don't Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny have pre-rendered backgrounds or are they just 3D mocked up to look like old Infinity Engine games?

Pre-rendered.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
What was so bad about pillars of eternity, there was a bit of hype about it if I remember

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

fridge corn posted:

What was so bad about pillars of eternity, there was a bit of hype about it if I remember

It was billed as the latest and greatest return from the studio

And it was an okay, good crpg when it was supposed to be like, Planescape Torment 2.0 or something in terms of quality.

I haven't played it myself but the main flaws I hear about it are that the setting is initially bland.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

fridge corn posted:

Nothing. Players liked it, reviewers liked it, it sold well, and there's a sequel on the way.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My only complaints were the world being pretty generic fantasy and the writing not really hitting the heights of Obsidian's best games but otherwise it was a decent retro CRPG.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I thought the writing in PoE was boring and the gameplay was bad.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also the world was littered with a bunch of backer NPCs with bad fanfic.

I would probably get back to it because I heard the story gets better later but something about the combat really bugged me

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The game was ok but it suffered from fantasy-tis. It has hundreds of pages of fictional lore written for it but it's all facts and battles and there's not enough humanity in it for you to care. Some people find that super interesting but it wasn't for me. Baldur's Gate also had tons of lore but it had way more heart.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah I forgot about the dumb NPC backstories. At least you can ignore them.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

chumbler posted:

lol what does this even mean?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Chumblers probably just gone insane from another 120 hour work week.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

mutata posted:

lol what does this even mean?

Seems pretty obvious? Static camera angles (and thus pre-rendered backgrounds) mean hand-placed/hand-painted scenery which requires some thought to be put into the art direction. The goal becomes to frame and create the scene around the camera instead of just placing stuff wherever. See Abe's Oddysee for a pretty well-known example.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Andrast posted:

I thought the writing in PoE was boring and the gameplay was bad.

Yeah I played the first couple of hours of it and bounced off it really hard. The narrative felt more like it was driven by this bland-rear end fantasy world than by characters I could relate to, and as someone who has never played a CRPG the gameplay just felt very clunky and overly complicated. When you're making your character and when you meet some of the other party members you get to hear about a lot of really neat places in the game's setting, but when I opened the game map I discovered that I'd be spending the entire game in the green hills of fantasy Europe. At least the sequel is heading to the tropics.

I think a lot of the good press came from people who really loved CRPGs? I only bought it because I'd enjoyed the writing in KOTOR 2 and I'd heard good things about the writing in Obsidian's other games, but I couldn't get into the writing or the gameplay. Not to disparage it, it's clearly achieved what it set out to do and satisfied most of the people who bought it, but it ended up being a bit more niche than I thought it would be.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I followed the game on the forums since day one of the Kickstarter and was kind of bummed that even though they had worked to make a totally original setting that was all their own and had all these interesting locales and cultures... the actual game was basically in late medieval not-Europe with familiar castles and forests and ruins :geno:

I know that there was a lot of work done on all the little details of the culture so I know it's not exactly like the Forgotten Realms but it still didn't feel that interesting to me

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The major problem with PoE is that the world and its inhabitants were about as interesting as 19th century tariff law and yet the game insisted you wanted to hear all about it, all the time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Videogames are good

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I am so bad at For Honor, but fortunately for me, there are many who are even worse.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
PoE is really interesting from an RPG design perspective, and the art is pretty good if lacking in colors. The combat is Baldur's gate and the writing can be really drat dense hard fantasy. But most importantly to me, they showed that you can make a system where all stats matter and define your character, almost killing off dump stats entirely.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nasgate posted:

But most importantly to me, they showed that you can make a system where all stats matter and define your character, almost killing off dump stats entirely.

I'm not sure what the situation is now but at least at release this really wasn't the case. Most builds had a stat or two that were far more important than the other stats, which could often be dumped without a problem since the bonuses they gave were really marginal.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 10:57 on May 5, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
All stats are super important now for pretty much any class, and unless you go into extreme min-maxing no build will be hilariously broken compared to average. You can still super easily make a poo poo build, though. Just dump accuracy, enjoy not hitting anything ever lol

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Andrast posted:

I'm not sure what the situation is now but at least at release this really wasn't case. Most builds had a stat or two that were far more important than the other stats, which could often be dumped without a problem since the bonuses they gave were really marginal.

I mean optimization is still a thing, but the stat you might reduce is not guaranteed. It depends on what you're going for. I meant dump stats less as a stat you're fine reducing, and more like DnD where there's a stat that you could remove from your character sheet entirely with how unimportant it is.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I played about 15 minutes of PoE and immediately reinstalled Diablo 3.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Truga posted:

All stats are super important now for pretty much any class, and unless you go into extreme min-maxing no build will be hilariously broken compared to average. You can still super easily make a poo poo build, though. Just dump accuracy, enjoy not hitting anything ever lol

Accuracy is mostly tied to your class, so the worst you can get is 12 accuracy at level 1 on one of the 3 classes with the most abilities that can target lower defenses.

Accuracy as a secondary stat does create an issue though, which is that Fighters are the actual best mages in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Macarius Wrench posted:

I played about 15 minutes of PoE and immediately reinstalled Diablo 3.

That's PoE. We're talking about PoE.

• Locked thread