Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Guy Goodbody posted:

Because the characters in Warhammer 40k come from a billion different worlds with wildly variant cultures? Guys who grew up on planets like Chogoris or Prospero where the native language is wildly different from Gothic shouldn't sound like dudes from Ultramar.

And whenever the British voice actors try to do a different accent for the Minotaurs or whatever, it just sounds really weird and racist
Oh, I didn't realise you were extrapolating from this one audiobook out to the whole catalogue. In retrospect it was silly of me to assume you were just annoyed that all Black Templars sound the same. I'm sure GW really care enough to worry about this afterthought product of the afterthought revenue generating advertising for their primary product of tiny plastic mans and will hire more diverse vocal talent if you tell them though, so you should get right on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arcsquad12 posted:

For a Source Filmmaker video that is incredibly well done. Adding the chicken scratch overlay helps deepen the shadows and obscure the textures on the actual models into something more painterly and less CG marionettes. And I loved how he referenced the Yarrick picture of him triumphantly holding up the power klaw.

GW needs to write this guy a big check. He's got a fantastic vision for Helsreach, I hope he does the whole drat book.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Telsa Cola posted:

Wait how do the Minotaurs sound. I need to know.

Cor Blimey xenos! For the Emperor lads!

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Jerkface posted:

The BFG game needed a true turn based mode. I know there was "strategic mode" or whatever but I really wanted it to be more like the table top and let me decide my dang turns.

There is the mobile game Battlefleet Gothic Leviathan. I have it on iOS and it's pretty much an exact copy of the tabletop game, dice rolls and turns and all. I assume it's on android as well but not really sure.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Quick lore question: we know that 40K SM Chapters use their trainees in the Scout Companies, but what do the 30K Legions do with them? In the tabletop there's no unit equivalent for them - Recon Marines are actually specifically noted as being very experienced. Do they just graduate from their testing/implanting procedure straight into tac squads?

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

Telsa Cola posted:

Wait how do the Minotaurs sound. I need to know.

There's an audio drama involving a couple of raven guard secretly helping some minotaurs they owe a life debt and I'm pretty sure the minotaurs had a kinda russian/eastern european thing going on.

I like the dramas I've heard, they feature actual casts and have a score/effects. They're not all amazing or anything but there's a Cain one where if you like Cain, you'll like it. Dark eldar, tyranids, jungles. ADB wrote a night lords one I mentioned before at some point but it's solid.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

PantsOptional posted:

Quick lore question: we know that 40K SM Chapters use their trainees in the Scout Companies, but what do the 30K Legions do with them? In the tabletop there's no unit equivalent for them - Recon Marines are actually specifically noted as being very experienced. Do they just graduate from their testing/implanting procedure straight into tac squads?

I'd guess it's the same path as inducted Scouts - start in a Devastator squad, move to Assault, then into a Tac squad.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'd guess it's the same path as inducted Scouts - start in a Devastator squad, move to Assault, then into a Tac squad.

It depends on the Legion in the 30k era. A couple of the Heresy books have mentioned the 40k Codex style being the norm among Legions, but as always some legions do it differently. IIRC the Salamanders are mentioned as starting new members as Tacticals, then assessing where their individual talents seem to lie and moving them into the appropriate specialization.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's also the Black Templar method and the Space Wolves method that we know about, so presumably there are a few more ways of handling it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Iron Snakes also don't do the scout thing.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Started Necropolis this morning.

Goddamn, that Commissar Kowle...:commissar:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, they make some weird choices for character voices.
I briefly found myself wondering how I'd missed the Emperor Palpatine cameo in Helsreach.

To be fair though, whenever the books mention deep, rumbly Space Marine voices I find myself thinking of something closer to death metal growls than…whatever that was. (Poor man's black metal vocals, I guess? :v:) Grimaldus's voice at least seems to be fine. Mark Strong was great in the various 40k games he was involved in, but then again he's Mark Strong.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Keith Szarabajka, John Hurt and Sean Pertwee should be the go to actors for raspy space marines. though Hurt is dead now.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

At first the voice was strange, but the more he talked the more I thought it was actually pretty loving great.

I guess it just came from expecting every Astartes to sound like Titus from that Space Marine video game.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Started Necropolis this morning.

Goddamn, that Commissar Kowle...:commissar:

You mean the People's Hero?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

WHERE IS YOUR CONVICTION

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't care if half our tanks got taken out in five minutes, keep moving forward or get a round in the back of your skull you fuckers!

Kowle is an amazing bastard.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Kowle is sort of like if Donald Trump was a Commissar.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

He does go out like a baller though Kowle spoiler alert:commissar:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I can't decide if I like Toby Longworth doing a bad ah-so Asian accent for the White Scars in Scars, or his lady voice for when he has to do a female character. The audio dramas with casts and sound effects are so much cooler from a production standpoint, but almost none of them I've listened to go anywhere.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Biplane posted:

WHERE IS YOUR CONVICTION

I like how he executes like six fools, and on the seventh execution, it says he did so "to make a point".

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SRM posted:

I can't decide if I like Toby Longworth doing a bad ah-so Asian accent for the White Scars in Scars, or his lady voice for when he has to do a female character.

You definitely like his Asian accent more. It's the stand out part of the audio! I hardly recall his female voice at all.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I like how he executes like six fools, and on the seventh execution, it says he did so "to make a point".

Honestly he was pretty rad. Where's my Kowle origin novel, Dan?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Biplane posted:

Honestly he was pretty rad. Where's my Kowle origin novel, Dan?

Same place he's keeping Warmaster and Pariah 2.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I think Warmaster is supposedly finished from an interview with Abnett recently, though Pariah 2 seems to be on hold until the HH is done.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Warmaster is coming at the end of the year.

So make that Pariah 2 and Interceptor City instead.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I feel like Warmaster has been done for a few years now but due to dans marvel comics and horus heresy books it wasn't polished up enough to send to the editors

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Just read these interviews for what went on:

Part One

Part Two

Summary: BL publishing was awfully managed and he didn't want to work with those conditions.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

So I started reading Perturabo, and wow...

quote:

'Look at the size of that boy's penis!' One courtier cried out, gesturing madly at the bulging penis hanging down beneath Perturabo's knee length skirt. It's bulbous head flared into the gaudy shape of a fleshy hammer, it's girth the size of a small baby's arm.
'Uhh, that's probably borderline pedophilia, my lord!' A servant whispered conspiratorily.
'Erg- yes well, I see what you're saying,' the courtier replied. 'Very well, look at the odd angle of that boy's legs!' The courtier pointed out the obvious strangeness of Perturabo's bowed legs. From either a large amount of time walking with such a hammer headed shaped penis, or perhaps by design, Perturabo's legs had bowed to the point of reducing his height. In later years, it would be debated whether he was the shortest of all primarchs, him or the Lion, but usually the Lion would win out, thanks to the added height that came from the stick shoved up his rear end he liked to lean upon.
Dammekos did his best to look anywhere but at the engorged hammer of flesh.

What. The. gently caress.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

marxismftw posted:

So I started reading Perturabo, and wow...

What. The. gently caress.

you've confused fan fiction with actual black library material.

I mean, I know it's a thin line but still.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Pirated ebooks strike again

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Skarsnik posted:

Pirated ebooks strike again

Yeah probably.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
lol

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Pirated black library books are the best thing ever -- I hope the authors or the editors are the ones putting them out and are laughing/drinking themselves silly while making them.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I am more amazed that people fall for it, like the tonal difference is staggering.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The Black Library: It's bulbous head flared into the gaudy shape of a fleshy hammer, it's girth the size of a small baby's arm.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

I am more amazed that people fall for it, like the tonal difference is staggering.

I didnt even know that was a thing people did.

Guess I deserve it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
:five:

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

It's like when Far Cry 3 came out and everyone was complaining to the devs that there was no FOV slider on PC, and the devs just went "legitimate copies with the day 1 patch have a POV slider"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
The dramatis personae should also include detailed descriptions of genitalia or lack thereof. Or they can publish an art book called "An Eternity of Dickpics". Or dickslates or dickscrolls, whatever they call them.