Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Feels Villeneuve posted:

what new programming? non-live TV is falling off far more than live television, especially among the markets USA is looking for. USA could try to go after other sports, but TBS kind of ate their lunch on that one.

someone posted it earlier, but Brandon Howard, despite being one of the driest, most boring writers in the universe is probably the best WWE TV numbers guy, and he's consistently pointed out that other measures of popularity, like merch sales and live event sales have at least stayed stable, suggesting that the drop-off in ratings is most likely due to wider trends WWE doesn't have anything to do with.

(house show numbers are down, which is most likely due to the lack of any replacement for Cena, but live event revenue is up, and overall attendance numbers (including televised events) are even)

If you are running production of a program you can still make pretty good money in today's climate. For example the money as a network you spend you can recoup from first and repeat airings as well as licensing out to various streaming platforms. For example with Mr. Robot, it is owned, produced and distributed by NBC/Universal so every cent that is earned by the program comes right back into their pockets. Compare that to a famous example; The West Wing which was owned, produced and distributed by Warner Bros. So NBC paid a fee to the distributor and only got the advertising revenue from the first and if applicable rerun airings. All home media sales, streaming and other revenue all went to Warner Bros. So the second that the distribution costs outweighs the advertising revenue it got the axe. This has happened a lot and with the changing landscape in television is why even small channels have invested in their own content as the money you can generate even with a small hit far outweighs the amount that you can make with a massive licensed one.

As for live event revenue the reason for that is very simple, they are making more money off of the hardcores. The costs for house shows are now what you would pay for a TV taping ten years ago and TV tapings cost what PPV shows did in the same timeframe. For example I was going to get tickets to the PPV here in Chicago soon but for the amount they were charging I could go to see the Blackhawks in the lower bowl/100 level. The Blackhawks have some of the most expensive tickets in the NHL and I don't go to many games for that reason. Also I got tickets for both the post Christmas Raw and Smackdown tapings at the same venue and those together were less than what they were charging for this PPV, and that is not counting the NXT show the night before. Now how long can they continue to raise prices and how much money can they squeeze out the hardcores? I am not sure but like many of the plays the company is making this is also one that will not end well. You can get away with stuff like this if you have a hot product but with how things are eventually it will all catch up.

So let's say that at best the WWE gets the same amount of money via their next television deal. I think that a lot of the moves that are being made right now will end up being time bombs that will catch them. Let's look at this UK expansion, so they are locking up talent with low cost deals and looking to invest a lot of money in this UK division. Now this is because ITV is going to do a wrestling show on free TV, which is never going to be a real competitor to the WWE and would be a good feeder to the company much like RoH is here. Now in a year or two all this money being thrown at a imagined problem will be looked as a major waste and will have the effect of crippling what was a thriving UK scene for probably a decade.

Another example is NXT as a touring brand. The amount of money the company is paying to have top talent from elsewhere perform in National Guard Armories in front of 200 people instead of their flagship programs is just stupid. The Performance Center in general seems to be ineffective at generating home grown talent as well, I imagine because most of their shows are full of the best talent in the world and doesn't need developmental training. Those NXT shows should be so people get ring time and get better. It is insane that people in the New Japan Dojo for 3 weeks are better than people who are at the Performance Center for 3 years.

I could go on and on but the WWE is a house of cards that could collapse at any time. My prediction is that ultimately the company will be bought by a major media company and things will radically change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Some really great spoilers in here, folks.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

thanks

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

super macho dude posted:

Some really great spoilers in here, folks.

Spoilers: the WWE is gonna die!

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Guessing that Bushiroad will take over the WWE in the end, just because it'll still have value as a brand in America, moreso than NJPW anyway. Truly they will become the Global Wrestling Monopoly that Tiger Mask W sought to combat.

(Of course, they're going to job out Tiger Mask W to Roman in the end, because some things never change.)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Spoilers: Money is complicated.

I found that all really interesting, though. Maybe we need a wrestlenomics thread.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I do not think NJPW will buy WWE

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Rumour is there may be several WOS wrestlers jumping to WWEUK for this weekends tapings.

Can't say I blame them. Most of the WWEUK guys have at least got something from signing up, the WOS guys worked one taping, and now it doesn't look like there will be anything until next year.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Junpei Hyde posted:

I do not think NJPW will buy WWE

What kind of Gibsonian cyberpunk future is this?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Poor Ember

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Everyone on twitter was saying its a work injury. I assume by that they mean until she gets a proper 101 with Asuka?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

KungFu Grip posted:

Everyone on twitter was saying its a work injury. I assume by that they mean until she gets a proper 101 with Asuka?

I wish that was the case. Meltzer & PWInsider think it is real out of laziness/lack of sources.

Like I said before in this thread I looked into it as I was genuinely concerned as she suffered a motherfucker of a shoulder injury on the indies. I wasn't looking for spoilers of spoilers sake. Her injury is a work and they are telling a long term story where Asuka knows the Eclipse will be the death knell for her so Asuka took Ember out in brutal fashion. Their match at the last Takeover based around it.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
This a bit of a holyee poo poo read https://twitter.com/Macey_Estrella/status/860213415251505152

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

This is a work, just like Sgt. Slaughter wasn't really a sgt. Just FYI!

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Marquis de Pyro posted:

This is a work, just like Sgt. Slaughter wasn't really a sgt. Just FYI!

Slaughter was a Drill Sargent in the Marine Corp. He's legit.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
the marines are poo poo, there has been no moral war and no defensible reason to enter or promote the united states military since at least ww2, and i will be booing this jackbooted fascist.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

hell yeah gently caress her up Liv

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Under the vegetable posted:

the marines are poo poo, there has been no moral war and no defensible reason to enter or promote the united states military since at least ww2, and i will be booing this jackbooted fascist.

Nice meltdown

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oatgan posted:

hell yeah gently caress her up Liv

hooters >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the gay marines

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

No lies detected, thank you as always

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Super No Vacancy posted:

hooters >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the gay marines

Gay marines are called pirates.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

This but unitonically

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

i want to live inside her rear end

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Tall, blond, attractive, muscular, has a legit military background ...

... yup, Lacey Evans will be champion by the end of the year. (or at least fast-tracked to the main roster)

Benne fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 6, 2017

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Agreed except for the last part you disgusting sexist

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
She'll be in The Marine 6: This Time We Have A Marine

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
that's Lt. Calley's music!!!!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

She'll be in The Marine 6: This Time We Have A Marine

I still laugh when I think of the time they tried to put Orton in those movies, presumably because "HE WAS A MARINE! :v:" and it immediately backfired in a way that anyone with half a brain would've seen coming. Which is basically WWE's creative decision making in a nutshell. They think things through to the first hurdle and then shrug, assuming nothing can possibly go wrong after that.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Mob posted:

Agreed except for the last part you disgusting sexist

what part was sexist

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

oatgan posted:

what part was sexist

Should have been "jillbooted facist"

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Uh excuse me "personbooted" fascist tyvm

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

oatgan posted:

what part was sexist

I didn't notice him railing against any former MALE troops hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Mob posted:

I didn't notice him railing against any former MALE troops hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I don't know of any other active wrestlers who served

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

JOHN. CENA! :911: no not really

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Djarum posted:

As for live event revenue the reason for that is very simple, they are making more money off of the hardcores. The costs for house shows are now what you would pay for a TV taping ten years ago and TV tapings cost what PPV shows did in the same timeframe. For example I was going to get tickets to the PPV here in Chicago soon but for the amount they were charging I could go to see the Blackhawks in the lower bowl/100 level. The Blackhawks have some of the most expensive tickets in the NHL and I don't go to many games for that reason. Also I got tickets for both the post Christmas Raw and Smackdown tapings at the same venue and those together were less than what they were charging for this PPV, and that is not counting the NXT show the night before. Now how long can they continue to raise prices and how much money can they squeeze out the hardcores? I am not sure but like many of the plays the company is making this is also one that will not end well. You can get away with stuff like this if you have a hot product but with how things are eventually it will all catch up.

The prices for the upcoming Chicago PPV are rediculous. Especially considering what Payback was last year, and what we are getting this year. I am so glad I didn't buy tickets to it right away now that the card is more finalized

It is also worth noting that they have a ton of tickets for NXT Chicago still on sale, including all of the floor ringside/camera side seats.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 6, 2017

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
that guy Steve Cutler? in nxt his whole thing is that he was in the army or whatever.

actually I'd be really into a heel stolen valor gimmick. it'd make me laugh at least

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

chris melendez has had his prosthetic leg stolen like eight times in the last year

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hell yes a U.K. title match at Takeover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

He said served. Orton basically bailed right after training, didn't he?