Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
I liked what I played of PoE, but I just started playing Tides of Numenera and man, everything about that setting just blows PoE out of the water huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is that good? I bought the PS4 version because it was cheap and never touched it...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Anyone got a strat for beating the spider boss early in xenoblade? Its an overwhelming fight for a first real boss

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about the dumb NPC backstories. At least you can ignore them.

I think one of the expansions added a special weapon that gets more powerful by killing the Kickstarter backer characters, which is great.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Guy Mann posted:

I think one of the expansions added a special weapon that gets more powerful by killing the Kickstarter backer characters, which is great.

I hope Obsidian makes some better pledge goals for their next kickstarter because man those NPC fanfics were some of the most embarrassing things I've ever read in a video game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

exquisite tea posted:

I hope Obsidian makes some better pledge goals for their next kickstarter because man those NPC fanfics were some of the most embarrassing things I've ever read in a video game.

At least none of them were a fat fetish dragon fursona so they're better than the Undertale Kickstarter selfinsert

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sounds like they were actually attempting to blend in with the source material in that case heyoooo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Is that good? I bought the PS4 version because it was cheap and never touched it...

I didn't get super far in it, but it didn't really work for me. 90% of the text in what I played were information dumps, dry ones at that too. I dreaded talking to new NPCs for fear that they would share a few hundred words about their weird and wacky home planet, and little else. I wanted to roleplay as a pragmatic shitbag but it didn't really work. In the original Torment you often had the ability to lie if you were asked to promise something or asked a question about yourself and your goals, which didn't seem possible in this new one.

Also the combat is bad. And skill checks in conversation are luck-based to some extent so you'll have to promise yourself not to savescum. And I didn't like the aesthetics: there's some weird and fantastical architecture and the like but I also find it kind of ugly, but that's super subjective.

This is only after about two hours of gameplay though, it wouldn't surprise me if it gets better later.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

exquisite tea posted:

Pillars of Eternity backer posted:

As they pass down a somewhat deserted street, an object suddenly hits this woman in the chest and bounces off, rolling away toward one of the buildings. The women stop and look at the object, an apple, and then back up at the person who threw it. There is nothing special about him aside from the angry look on his face and the two other apples he holds. Before either woman can move, the man draws back and throws another one at them, this time hitting the second woman in the forehead. The woman raises her hand to her head and wipes the juice and bits of fruit from her face and stares the man down defiantly. The first woman squeezes her hand and puts the other on her companion’s shoulder, attempting to calm her down. The other woman pulls a book from her pack and holds it before her, muttering under her breath…
:negative:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
if i'd had money during the pillars kickstarter, i would've submitted a my oc's fanfiction about a monk who smokes weed, and tends to his plants when he's high af and harvests it, and then smokes it, and then goes back to his plants, and it's just the eternal cycle

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I remember Pillars of Eternity have a lot of very upset people over some of the dialog.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

I want more fixed camera angle games

Kai Tave posted:

You know what I genuinely miss? Prerendered backgrounds. I'm sure it's nostalgia talking but I was always really fond of all the detail artists managed to cram into those in the Resident Evil/Parasite Eve heyday and while I don't find the pixel art trend as abhorrent as some, I kinda wish that someone would jumpstart a prerendered background revival.

:yeah:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I tried to play smt4 and died three times in the first dungeon

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

I beat it in february. I saved after every fight. Like a third of my playtime was saving.

The newest one is much better about it, i dont think you pay any tax if you die.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I stopped playing SMT4 after the lady in the black armour gets executed. It was a big emotional peak moment and I didn't have enough enthusiasm to play through the lull that comes after it because it felt like it'd already been 20 or 30 hours at that point and the fights were getting a little same-y. How far from the ending was I? Is that like halfway through the game?

Red Bones fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 5, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's the hardest bit of the game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

What should I be putting my stats into

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

luck

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What should I be putting my stats into

Either:

Dex/Agility/Luck for physical/gun attacks and big crits, or

Magic/Agility for a versatile magic-using MC

Don't level Strength, it's completely useless in every single way. Dex affects both physical and gun skills more than Strength does.

Also that starting dungeon is by far the hardest part of the game. After the second boss or so it's not very hard at all.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

love

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Big fan of the dex/luck route. Crits are the best

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dex/Luck is gonna get you the most damage for sure. I went Magic in SMT4 because I liked being able to hit almost any weak point with my main character but he ended up being a support bot in the endgame while my physical demons Riot Gunned everything to death so if you want Flynn to do lots of damage go Dex/Luck.

Also support/healing spells don't rely on the Magic stat at all and you'll have more skill slots open for those because you won't have a bunch of different elemental spells to carry around.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://voidinteractive.net/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98VgvtWORC4

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Fixed cameras are the enemy of games like Devil May Cry so I'm glad they're gone

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I made the right choice.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Quake Champions seems like a really bad replacement of Quake Live

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Fixed cameras are the enemy of games like Devil May Cry so I'm glad they're gone

Eh, worked just fine for wonderful 101

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

nier a has some neat camera work. i don't know if that counts as fixed

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Looper posted:

Eh, worked just fine for wonderful 101

That one I can forgive more since it was a top-down camera

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Seems pretty obvious? Static camera angles (and thus pre-rendered backgrounds) mean hand-placed/hand-painted scenery which requires some thought to be put into the art direction. The goal becomes to frame and create the scene around the camera instead of just placing stuff wherever. See Abe's Oddysee for a pretty well-known example.

Yes but "art direction" is not exclusive to fixed cam, prerendered backgrounds which it would have to be in order for that to be the reason someone "misses" them.

In Training posted:

Quake Champions seems like a really bad replacement of Quake Live

Yeah, there seems to be no compelling reason to play Champions over Quake Live and lots of F2P-based reasons to play Quake Live instead. The only thing it really has on Quake Live will be player count, which is not nothing but there's just too much friction between me and getting in a game to have fun, so I'll not be playing it.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm about ten hours in and I really, really dig it. I'm a big fan of how many interesting NPCs there are to talk to, and the world in general is a lot cooler than your typical fantasy cRPG setting. I've also only gotten into combat once, having talked my way out of any other situation that could've gotten hairy, which rules.

I'm probably gonna put it up for a bit to play Prey, but I'm definitely looking forward to playing more.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Fixed cameras are an artifact of the days when prerendered images could have significantly greater quality than real-time graphics, now they're needlessly limiting.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mutata posted:

Yes but "art direction" is not exclusive to fixed cam, prerendered backgrounds which it would have to be in order for that to be the reason someone "misses" them.

Yeah, there seems to be no compelling reason to play Champions over Quake Live and lots of F2P-based reasons to play Quake Live instead. The only thing it really has on Quake Live will be player count, which is not nothing but there's just too much friction between me and getting in a game to have fun, so I'll not be playing it.

It's crazy how long it takes between matches.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

haveblue posted:

Fixed cameras are an artifact of the days when prerendered images could have significantly greater quality than real-time graphics, now they're needlessly limiting.

Actually they are cool

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Smt4 sucks, gently caress this game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:darksouls:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SMT4 is, in fact, good

Naraku is just way way way harder than the rest of the game because they hosed the difficulty balance up real bad

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

WHat the hell!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You can't quit a game in the first dungeon, you'll go to gamer hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

If I can get through that dungeon then so can you, corn in the bible.

• Locked thread