Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

God, remember how Matt Smith was in the movie for like 5 minutes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

muscles like this! posted:

Less than that even, and then he's replaced with a CGI cartoon for the rest.

If ever there was a series that loving needed to die, it was the Terminator. Two pretty fantastic films, and then three pretty awful ones.

The Terminator
Based on poo poo from James Cameron's nightmares. Tightly paced, low-budget, sci-fi horror film, with some great chemistry between the actors, and genuine menace by Schwarzenegger.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Aliens to Terminator's Alien; same plot (more or less) as the first film, but framed as an action film. Deservingly considered one of the best sequels of all time.

T2 3-D: Battle Across Time
Fun little show for Universal Studios, combining both live action and 3D recorded footage. Reuinites the cast of T2. Can be seen here.

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
The one which looks like vaseline is smeared on the camera lens at all times, and is only notable for its ending; Judgement Day happens and everyone gets loving nuked. Was the first of a planned trilogy of films following the same cast.

Terminator Salvation (T4)
The one where everything is brown, and Christian Bale had a shitfit. Featuring charisma-void, Sam Worthington. Notable only for its many rewrites including an ending in which John Connor dies and is replaced by a robot but changed it due to negative reaction when it was leaked, because it was such a loving dumb idea. Was the first of a planned trilogy of films.

Terminator Genisys
The one where the studio executives decided that because T1 and T2 were so good, it would be even betterer if they smooshed the two movies together. Notable for having zero chemistry between any of the actors, and for giving away a major plot twist in every single piece of advertising media - John Connor is now a robot. Was the first of a planned trilogy of films.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 5, 2017

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Erebus posted:

Why do movie studios keep giving exclusive reveals to Entertainment Weekly when they always end up looking like poo poo?

https://twitter.com/Dammit_Mike/status/860174054191493121

The costumes and actors are what they are, but they're always shot as flat and goofy as possible to do them no favors. I still remember this stuff from Genisys.

The Terminator thing was a fire-your-marketing-department moment for me. Everybody hold these props and yell real loud on this random runway! Well that sucked, let's comp in some muzzle flashes. Perfect!

The Inhumans doesn't scream terrible marketing, it just glaringly exposes a lovely Agents Of Shield-level budget. Won't someone from Netflix please go show WB how to do it properly? Just not the Iron Fist people...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dillbag posted:

The Terminator thing was a fire-your-marketing-department moment for me. Everybody hold these props and yell real loud on this random runway! Well that sucked, let's comp in some muzzle flashes. Perfect!

The Inhumans doesn't scream terrible marketing, it just glaringly exposes a lovely Agents Of Shield-level budget. Won't someone from Netflix please go show WB how to do it properly? Just not the Iron Fist people...

I expect Marvel's tv series to continue getting worse if the second season of Daredevil, all of Iron Fist and Agents of SHIELD are any indication.

I literally do not at all.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

I expect Marvel's tv series to continue getting worse if the second season of Daredevil, all of Iron Fist and Agents of SHIELD are any indication.

I have had never seen someone allege that AoS S01 was on point and that S02 fell off.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

"was the first of a planned trilogy" is my fav phrase now

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

cvnvcnv posted:

I have had never seen someone allege that AoS S01 was on point and that S02 fell off.

I meant both all of Iron Fist and all of AoS.

A better worded version of that post would have been "Iron Fist, all of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.and the second season of Daredevil."

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 5, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I wanna live in the timeline where everybody is eagerly anticipating the big blockbuster movie of summer 2017, John Carter 4

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
AoS is cool and good and it hurts my heart that more people didn't give it a chance because of it's slow start.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Terminator Genisys had bad casting, aped most of its interesting plot points from the far more engaging TV series, and felt like a lesser entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but considering the competition, it's still the third-best Terminator movie.

The Terminator made out of NANOMACHINES, SON is cool though, and actually works better as a step up from the T-1000 than the T-X did.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

hamsystem posted:

AoS is cool and good and it hurts my heart that more people didn't give it a chance because of it's slow start.

To be fair, its "slow start" is 15 episodes according to some.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

LesterGroans posted:

To be fair, its "slow start" is 15 episodes according to some.

Yeah, that's not untrue but season 1 also had a serious problem of airing a few episodes and then being off-air for weeks at a time so it made it feel way slower watching it live. If you watch it on Netflix or whatever it's not nearly as bad.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

hamsystem posted:

Yeah, that's not untrue but season 1 also had a serious problem of airing a few episodes and then being off-air for weeks at a time so it made it feel way slower watching it live. If you watch it on Netflix or whatever it's not nearly as bad.

The problem, is that, the show, it's bad

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Improbable Lobster posted:

The problem, is that, the show, it's bad

Hey, you do you boo.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

It's very telling of modern hollywood how often it's been used in the last decade vs any other time in movie history.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Samuel Clemens posted:

Who was the better Poirot? David Suchet or Peter Ustinov?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttYc3ZWpWQc&t=387s

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

hamsystem posted:

I was a defender of Agents of Shield for a long time. The latter half of this current season has been absolute poo poo, and I finally took it off my DVR.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Nihonniboku posted:

I was a defender of Agents of Shield for a long time. The latter half of this current season has been absolute poo poo, and I finally took it off my DVR.

Didn't even make to even halfway into the season for me. I got bored of the ghost plotline in episode two and found out they weren't the monster of the week and actually the main plot.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pesky Splinter posted:

Less than that even, and then he's replaced with a CGI cartoon for the rest.

If ever there was a series that loving needed to die, it was the Terminator. Two pretty fantastic films, and then three pretty awful ones.

And one surprisingly good TV series which does the right thing and just pretends there was never anything but two movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

If that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MikeJF posted:

And one surprisingly good TV series which does the right thing and just pretends there was never anything but two movies.

Which was canned after it stabilised in the ratings and got $300m of free advertising so that Joss Whedon's Rape Hour could have another season of freefall.

And there's a reason why a certain Marvel TV show is widely known as Agents of poo poo.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Used for terminator movies and failed young adult franchises

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

"Was the first in a planned cinematic universe." Will be even better to use. We can already say that about Amazing Spider-man and Dracula. Soon we will be able to say it about The Dark Tower and The Mummy as well.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Actually, The Mummy is the second in a cinematic universe after I, Frankenstein, right? Or are they rebooting the Universal Monster universe?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Actually, The Mummy is the second in a cinematic universe after I, Frankenstein, right? Or are they rebooting the Universal Monster universe?

I think you mean Dracula Untold.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Was it Dracula? I guess I got my lovely Monster movies confused.

On the subject, Green Lantern was also supposed to be the first in DC's cinematic universe.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It still could be, who knows.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

Was it Dracula? I guess I got my lovely Monster movies confused.

They themselves are confused about what they want to consider part of the new "universe", so its understandable that we would have a hard time following it.

I don't think there's even been a definitive answer yet as to whether or not they are going to include Dracula Untold or go a completely different direction with a new actor. Also, I think Victor Frankenstein is considered part of it? The one with James Mcavoy and Daniel Radcliffe that was incredibly bland and forgettable? Not sure, but that's because they haven't been good at getting clear cut information out there.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Is the plan to bind these monster movies together, perhaps with after credit scenes with Abbot and Costello?

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 5, 2017

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is the plan to bind these monster movies together, perhaps with after credit scenes with Abbot and Costello?

But instead, it's the two dudes from 21 Jump Street.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

Dracula is coming back from a nighttime hunt and hears a clatter from the shadows.

"Who's there?" He asks.

A portly man and a thin man walk out from the darkness, holding baseball bats.

"That's correct," says the thin man.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Waffleman_ posted:

Basebf555 posted:

They themselves are confused about what they want to consider part of the new "universe", so its understandable that we would have a hard time following it.

I don't think there's even been a definitive answer yet as to whether or not they are going to include Dracula Untold or go a completely different direction with a new actor. Also, I think Victor Frankenstein is considered part of it? The one with James Mcavoy and Daniel Radcliffe that was incredibly bland and forgettable? Not sure, but that's because they haven't been good at getting clear cut information out there.

I, Fronkenstein was meant to tie in with the Underworld series of films.

Dracula Untold was originally meant to be the first of the Universal Monster Cinematic Universe, but had such a lukewarm reception that the Mummy is now to be the first of the Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe, with Dracula Untold being shunted to an end-of-credits-cameo, and then outright "actually yeah, we're not even touching it. It's no longer canon" - at least, according to the director of the Mummy.

That bland as dishwater Victor Frankenstein was a standalone, and not connected to their Monster Avengers plan.

At this current moment in time, it's something like:
*Dracula Untold (no longer connected to the UMCU)
*The Mummy
*Two unknown films in preproduction (with one hinted as being Jekyll and Hyde - I'd guess the other is Frankenstein)

The rest in development are:
*The Bride of Frankenstein
*The Creature from the Black Lagoon
*The Invisible Man
*The Wolfman (unrelated to the 2010 film with Anthony Hopkins)
*Van Helsing (unrelated to the 2004 film with Hugh Jackman)

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 5, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Erebus posted:

The costumes and actors are what they are, but they're always shot as flat and goofy as possible to do them no favors. I still remember this stuff from Genisys.

I still have this hosted from last time we talked about this image.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Don't worry guys, the new Terminator movie is going to be super duper rad because it's being directed by the guy that did Deadpool. Not sure if it's still going to be written by the director of My Bloody Valentine and Drive Angry, though...

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
But Drive Angry owns??

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

http://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/terminator-genisys-promos/5/

Palpek fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 5, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Got this at the IMAX premiere last night.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Erebus posted:

Why do movie studios keep giving exclusive reveals to Entertainment Weekly when they always end up looking like poo poo?

https://twitter.com/Dammit_Mike/status/860174054191493121

Seeing how T:G turned out, these photos are probably the best thing about the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010