Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Hmm, if Esuna gets bumped to the general skill pool then I wonder if they are going to remove the cross class skill cap? I would hate to have to spend a slot on esuna, at least on sch and ast.

I think the idea of the cross-class skills is that they're something everyone gets at level rather than being in a pool. That's the impression I get at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Hmm, if Esuna gets bumped to the general skill pool then I wonder if they are going to remove the cross class skill cap? I would hate to have to spend a slot on esuna, at least on sch and ast.
That's assuming that there's still a cross class system as such, and isn't just replaced with a fat pool of abilities that's shared per role.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, that's how it sounds to me. In the new system, every healer will just learn Esuna at 18, rather than conjurers learning Esuna and astrologians learning Esuna But With A Different Name (and scholars getting the shaft until 40).

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Hmm the way I interpreted it was that the basic cross class skill system (pick 10/5 skills) would be in place but they would be homogenized by role and no longer tied to levelling another job. So all the melee dps would get aqccess to blood for blood regardless of lancer level but would still have to decide to slot it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Either way it sounds like it's being split up by role, yeah. Tank, healer, melee dps, ranged dps, judging from the comments on how MCH/BRD will share cross-class skills with the casters.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

homeless snail posted:

That's assuming that there's still a cross class system as such, and isn't just replaced with a fat pool of abilities that's shared per role.

This would make a lot more sense and be easier for them to balance around.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Any ideas what the new feature being hinted at on the Instagram is? Reddit is begging for the return of Hamlet defense. :suicide:

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Any ideas what the new feature being hinted at on the Instagram is? Reddit is begging for the return of Hamlet defense. :suicide:

Hamlet Defense returning wouldn't be so bad if it was just more of a long duration FATE with a large pay out, rather than a literal days event with crap rewards. 10 minute prepare timer, 20 minutes of action, with a boss fate pop at the end if all the defend objectives haven't been wiped out. Give like 1/3-1/2 of a relative dungeon exp reward.

Basically Highbridge or Redbelly Hive, with just a bit more thrown in.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 5, 2017

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Maybe this was mentioned, but Amazon has a Stormblood Complete Collection pre-order up which gets you FFXIV + Heavensward + Stormblood for $48 ($60 minus the 20% prime gives if you have it) right now. It's a pretty reasonable price to escape Steam if you were trapped there years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071CMXD5H/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, that's how it sounds to me. In the new system, every healer will just learn Esuna at 18, rather than conjurers learning Esuna and astrologians learning Esuna But With A Different Name (and scholars getting the shaft until 40).

Luckily the real healer until 40 gets aoe esuna at 20.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i mean there are lots of people who don't really care about paying 10-15 dollars more, especially since half the poo poo i buy on steam is financed through selling dota 2 sets to idiots

I fall into the demographic of people who aren't going to lose a wink of sleep over 15 bucks. If games cost like $100 and I was missing out on a 60% off deal I'd probably be annoyed. My only real wish is that MMO's would feed into steams patch ecosystem. Which I realize is honestly probably too much to ask.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Steam also has like 2.0 release version of the client so you'll be downloading pretty sizeable patches come Stormblood.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'd just like to point out that none of these issues appear to be steam's fault, as many other games and mmos live in steam just fine, including buying the game on steam and then buying expansions on not steam.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, Squeenix is probably just unhappy about having to give a cut to Valve for every game bought on steam and wants to make it really clear what is and isn't going to them.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
SE still does regular sales for all owned IP on Steam tho so idgi

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Asimo posted:

Yeah, Squeenix is probably just unhappy about having to give a cut to Valve for every game bought on steam and wants to make it really clear what is and isn't going to them.

If that were the case, they'd give me a $20 option to cut myself free from Steam and just run a standalone PC account. God knows I haven't fired up steam in ages, and the hundreds of dollars in steam credit I had from selling dota poo poo is long gone.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I finally got Bard unlocked today :toot: Sombody earlier mentioned that it was kind of a trap of a class? So i shoulden't be using it then? I kinda like the idea of being ranged DPS/suppor though.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I finally got Bard unlocked today :toot: Sombody earlier mentioned that it was kind of a trap of a class? So i shoulden't be using it then? I kinda like the idea of being ranged DPS/suppor though.

There's nothing wrong with Bard as a class, it's just the playstyle suddenly shifts in the mid 50's from being extremely mobile into caster style play.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, if you hate casters then pull out now since it gets way less fun post-50. If you don't really care about that then keep on chugging away, it's still fairly easy to play and surprisingly strong at 60.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
My first ranged non-caster DPS to 60 was Mechanist and I actually started to like it way after Gauss Barrel (aka turret mode with cast bars). Maybe it helps I already have SMN and BLM at cap but I don't see a problem with the castbars. Sure it's fun to just run around and taking potshots but since MCH plays around managing your RNG rotation and Wildfire optimization running around feels secondary to that.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

jyrque posted:

My first ranged non-caster DPS to 60 was Mechanist and I actually started to like it way after Gauss Barrel (aka turret mode with cast bars). Maybe it helps I already have SMN and BLM at cap but I don't see a problem with the castbars. Sure it's fun to just run around and taking potshots but since MCH plays around managing your RNG rotation and Wildfire optimization running around feels secondary to that.

I hated the change in Bard to a caster. All the additions felt clunky, except the DOT refresh. Cool, more GCDs and a weird one with a cast bar. I didn't feel the reward to effort ratio was in my favor. I then swapped to BLM, despite hating casters in MMOs and started having way more fun.

But hey, as long as you have fun go with it. Everything may change in a month, so I'd keep leveling it. It has the top tier hat glamours (at least until Red Mage eats its lunch), which is the real end game anyway.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Mechanist at least has the ability to forgo cast times temporarily for a time in their main rotation so that helps. Also you have just two ticking abilities (Hot shot and the single DOT) with a slew of OGCD abilities so it's not like you're constantly looking at castbars. Just for your 1-2-3 combo. :downs:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'd like to learn the EX versions of the Warring Triads, and potentially start getting some ZurvEX clears towards an i265 weapon. Is there anyone on Excalibur that would be interested in running those tomorrow afternoon US time?

Anywhere between noon and 5pm EDT would work as a start time, but I'm EU so we can't really start any later than 5pm. :rip:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'll probably be on tomorrow, I'm kinda done with Factorio for now and I'm down for any of the triads. I've done all the phases for all 3, but only ever cleared sophia though.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm up for some HW EX clears, and am EU newbie as well. Holler at DGKK and I'll join.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Hey Talon Frey, I grabbed all the materials for the gathering set. I'll hit you up whenever you're on and if you have time.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
People who say bard is bad are only saying that because they were extremely triggered by the fact that it got cast times in heavensward instead of staying incredibly broken. The class is good and fun at 60. I probably slightly prefer machinist, but it's very close.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Guys! We've got a gamebreaker.

Who's gonna be the first to spell "BAD" in their next 24-man come Stormblood?

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Honestly as somebody who raided in 2.0 and 3.0 as brd, don't let anybody talk you out of the job. Going back and doing lvl 50 content feels pretty boring now, I feel brd is way better at 60 than it was at 50. WM is fantastic just for the ability to refresh your dots together. And the resulting never running out of TP is really nice. WM is a toggle rather than a cast spell, so you can turn it on and off as you need. I personally leave it off when I'm questing or the like in the open world as I'd rather jump about and who cares if a mob takes 2 seconds more to die. If you want to really minmax you can turn it on and off during encounters too.

Its a change in the playstyle, but its not as dramatic as one as it seems at first. It sucks that WM is basically pointless to use when you first get it, it really needs Iron Jaws (the dot refresh) to feel remotely complete. WM has some issues, and the MCH ability is much more well integrated into the job, but again, if you enjoy baby brd just keep going!

That being said at HW launch WM was godawful, so I don't blame anybody who bailed from brd then, it was pretty dire.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Today I learned that I have to try and successfully complete the Highbridge FATEs again because the merchant that shows up when you do it sells an orchestrion roll now. It plays the burning wall music, which I love.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Bard is still pretty mobile even with Wanderers Minuet. The cast times are only 3/5s of your GCD, and because of the way the game handles casting you can start moving with half a second remaining on your timer. That comes out to literally less than a second of forced standing still with pretty much any amount of skill speed. Learning this stutterstep is incredibly useful.

For now, you can also cross class Feint for attacking on the move while keeping Minuet up as well, as the cast times only apply to Bard weaponskills, while the damage boost is universal. This may no longer be an option come Stormblood however, and if it's replaced by a skill that ignores Minuets cast time caveat is also unknown. So I wouldn't lean on that quite so hard.

Will you find this fun however? I can't say. Try Palace of the Dead out to get an idea how it'll feel. As a new player it's probably less of a shake up for transitioning in to the different style of gameplay Minuet offers than it was for the years old vets entering Heavensward.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 5, 2017

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

This is loving amazing

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Bard at 50 might be basically a caster, but they're also the highest DPS class in the highest DPS composition on the game, iirc. MCH might be better if you don't have a party catering to you.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I played MCH at HW launch, got to 57 and went to level my BRD to 60.

While the changes in playstyle at 50 is Jarring, I would agree that it feels much better at 60.

I also love dropping 3 Emp Arrows while fully buffed for like 9k Damage every few minutes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, it is absurd how big a difference Provoke makes to tanking feeling good. I finally got around to grinding it out and it's the difference between Dark Knight being fun and Dark Knight being Fun sometime.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Finally.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yoshi-P is finally giving us the D.

Alternately, spell out DAB so you can stand in front of it doing your Posing Ranger emotes.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Skills like Provoke, Swiftcast, BfB and Raging Strikes are the reason why we badly need a skill workaround in SB. They are so useful to a number of jobs that they are practically a necessity and yet it's possible to enter content without them and get yelled at even though the game never encourages you to go out of your way to get them.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
provoke is either required or useless. i can't think of content where provoke makes a difference, you either need it somewhere or you don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't think there's any casual content in the game that requires provoke. At times they've actually designed around the idea that not every tank will have provoke, which is why Echidna's snakes just automatically have threat on a different tank.

• Locked thread