Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
All I ask is to not be forced into reading the words "Ransolm Casterfo" 12 times a page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Every so often I'll read an EU novel. The only one that I didn't want to burn was Darth Play-gas. I give it 2 stars.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I read the first Thrawn trilogy by Zahn. It was actually really fun. Bit of a cop out ending, though. I guess that's the problem with creating a really good villain, it's really hard to write their defeat.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Schwarzwald posted:

Which leads to another question, why is the Resistance operating with cobbled together equipment?

The bigger question is why the First Order is so well funded.

At risk of repeating myself, it's a big problem that our apparent Big Bad for the new movies basically materializes out of nowhere, has incoherent motivations, and can just pull ships, armies, and planet sized superweapons out of its rear end. The fact that it's probably been explained in some book doesn't mitigate the fact that it doesn't make a drat bit of sense.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 5, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I love Traitor, and think it justifies the existence of the New Jedi Order books (terrible as they were).

Actually, I'm gonna go even further and say that I like the overall plot of New Jedi Order and maybe as many as 5 of the books in it. There, now I am ashamed.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

General Dog posted:

At risk of repeating myself, it's a big problem that our apparent Big Bad for the new movies basically materializes out of nowhere, has incoherent motivations, and can just pull ships, armies, and planet sized superweapons out of its rear end. The fact that it's probably been explained in some book doesn't mitigate the fact that it doesn't make a drat bit of sense.

My guess is that they commandeered/occupied an Imperial factory planet. They get their materiel the same place they get their recruits and their fashion sense: plundering. They're bandits.

And their motivations are pretty clear: nostalgia for fascism.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

General Dog posted:

As I recall, they are supported by the "centrist" faction of the Republic.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

General Dog posted:

Yeah, I'm really fuckin' salty over this. They'll never have another chance to explain this in the next two movies!!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Yeah, I'm really fuckin' salty over this. They'll never have another chance to explain this in the next two movies!!

They do explain it in Force Awakens; there are technically enough bits of expository dialogue that you can piece together and infer things from.

The issue is that they do an insanely bad job of it - by, for example, telling half the story with vague expository dialogue.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

General Dog posted:

I know they wanted to have it be fast paced and not have any talk of political disputes to disassociate it from the prequels, but they cut like a succinct rant from Leia that clarified all of this. I'm sure someone can find the quote somewhere but it was when the rest of our characters first meet up with her and she's basically like "look my hands are tied we have to fund the resistance under the table while the order builds up via ____ and then this happened" and it was brief but basically gave you everything you need to know about the major factions.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
There's an entire cut subplot about Leias agent debating with the senate. You see the full cast of that subplot as the republic homework is about to pop. That's them looking up, aghast.

The jist is this from what I have gathered. The first order is founded on the fringes of space. A number of now republic planets declare for the first order and their population pretty much up and leaves at some point.
The first order under treaty as a continuation of the empire must not rearm. Totally does.
The republic doesn't have an appetite for a fight after the civil war. Doesn't intervene in force despite evidence of build up. Some money gets back channelled to some lady who is convinced a real fight is coming.
The first order is tiny compared to the empire, but I guess tiny on a galactic scale is still mega engineering projects, and when those projects are the main way your series have demonstrated overwhelming odds and power?

I really can't believe those scenes were cut though given how much of the plot was in them

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 5, 2017

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
So quite similar to the emergence of the Third Reich. The only thing missing is a Soviet Union that the Senate initially thinks the rise of the First Order is a bulwark against. It's a little weird the emergence of Palpatine's Empire was also based on the emergence of the Third Reich but is now also the Second Reich to the First Order's Third.

There's no real world allegory for the Senate world being blown up though so that could go interesting places. Very interesting people are expecting VIII to be the dark middle chapter when the First Order achieved a major victory in VII, it can't get that much darker.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm expecting the Republic to go all "Sleeping Giant" and go on a massive war campaign against the First Order, who gets it poo poo kicked in. It's the only response that makes sense.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm expecting the Republic to go all "Sleeping Giant" and go on a massive war campaign against the First Order, who gets it poo poo kicked in. It's the only response that makes sense.

Will they use clones or droids this time?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MonsieurChoc posted:

There entire fleet was destroyed in the last film. It's back to the status quo now of scrappy underdogs versus massive empire.

In the new film the Last Order has Sheev class Star Destroyers which can blow up entire worlds and are the biggest ship ever seen in a Star Wars movie.

How? Who cares; it's like that big ship in Empire only bigger!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

There entire fleet was destroyed in the last film. It's back to the status quo now of scrappy underdogs versus massive empire.

In the new film the Last Order has Sheev class Star Destroyers which can blow up entire worlds and are the biggest ship ever seen in a Star Wars movie.

How? Who cares; it's like that big ship in Empire only bigger!

The First Order is, supposedly, tiny while the Republic is pretty much the rest of the Galaxy. This was basically Super Pearl Harbor, and there's no way they can't use the rage at having your capital destroyed in an unprovoked attack to recruit a massive army and recreate an even bigger fleet.

Imagine the US's reaction to 9/11, except even stronger because Washington got nuked instead.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

General Dog posted:

It would make a lot more in universe sense and look a lot more interesting if the New Order, which is basically North Korea, was equipped with a mishmash of 30 year old Imperial poo poo and whatever other surplus they could get their hands on. Maybe some x wings with a grey paint job, maybe even some old Clone Wars era poo poo.

If there's a real world parallel the First Order more closely resembles ISIS as a combative force.

In this case the Republic parallels the U.S. and the West in that ISIS is a known threat for a long time, but because of war weariness they can't directly intervene. So the First Order starts arming itself more significantly and gets more dangerous until the Republic picks out a proxy actor in the region to arm which is the Resistance.

Unfortunately all of this is too little too late and the First Order explodes onto the scene causing a tonne of damage.

I don't know how in Star Wars you parallel that visually since I've no idea what the Star Wars equivalent of a pickup truck with a machine gun on it is.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I don't know how in Star Wars you parallel that visually since I've no idea what the Star Wars equivalent of a pickup truck with a machine gun on it is.

The Millenium Falcon.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Something that always bothered me about ANH: How can the Empire afford all this? How are they funded? Where did they get the money to build a custom planet?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

UmOk posted:

Something that always bothered me about ANH: How can the Empire afford all this? How are they funded? Where did they get the money to build a custom planet?

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1511.09054v1.pdf

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

UmOk posted:

It's the government, the wealth and resources of the entire galaxy are at its disposal, hth.

This is in notable contrast to the First Order, which is essentially a collection of 30-something cosplayers squatting in a small corner of the galaxy that's apparently lovely enough that the Republic's formal stance is, "yeah keep it, that's fine just don't make a mess".

General Dog fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 5, 2017

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I wonder if starkiller base was an imperial project they just finished up or something

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

UmOk posted:

Space taxes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

UmOk posted:

The question of how an absolute monarchy can raise the funds to build pointless boondoggle projects is a question you wrestle with?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I assumed the an evil empire would just "borrow" any thing they needed to make the Deathstar. If any planet sends them an invoice, just shoot them with the laser.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Both in canon and legends, this is what happened.

In canon, workers were slave Genosians.

In legends, workers were slave Wookies.

And the funds came from inflated taxes on worlds involved in the separatist movement or otherwise easily to lamblast and lay some blame on. Basically, everywhere but the core worlds.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
At the time of the construction of the Death Star there was still a Senate, so theoretically the Emperor would have had to at least go through the motions of getting things funded through them, regardless of how much bullshit was involved.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Death Star was the F-35 of its era.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Basebf555 posted:

At the time of the construction of the Death Star there was still a Senate, so theoretically the Emperor would have had to at least go through the motions of getting things funded through them, regardless of how much bullshit was involved.

I mean, the extent of it was probably "we're going to build up our military and make the seperatists pay for it! They owe us after the Clone Wars! Once the Grand Army of the Empire is great again, no one will secede every again! Build the Death St---Star Destroyers!"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It probably wasnt even proposed as a "Death Star". It probably had a dumb name like the BFG-9000 Class Anti-Terrorism Base.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

All Star Wars fans should be forced to read the two zombie books for full appreciation of the lore

Covok
May 27, 2013

Barudak posted:

It probably wasnt even proposed as a "Death Star". It probably had a dumb name like the BFG-9000 Class Anti-Terrorism Base.

Oh, it was. It had a different name, they go into it on Catalyst. Officially, the project was an attempt to made a more efficient energy generator using Khyber Crystals and many scientists, like Erso, were unaware of its true purpose. It was alongside numerous other secret projects.

Catalyst is such a boring book that I forgot they actually explained how they got funding from the Senate and scientific support without anyone knowing.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm just stunned that Mads Mikkelsen played a good guy in an American movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

well why not posted:

I'm just stunned that Mads Mikkelsen played a good guy in an American movie.

Yea but it was a waste. Now he can't play Thrawn.

Actually he totally could still play Thrawn and I'd be all for it.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

ShineDog posted:

I wonder if starkiller base was an imperial project they just finished up or something

I wouldn't put it past Sheev to have something waiting in the wings for when blowing planets up one by one becomes too inefficient.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

Yea but it was a waste. Now he can't play Thrawn.

Actually he totally could still play Thrawn and I'd be all for it.

Good thing he's got a brother.

A brother who played Thrawn.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I think Thrawn is incredibly dumb. "I know their art, so I know their military strategy" makes even less sense than single-biome planets. Why do people like Thrawn so much?

Covok
May 27, 2013

homullus posted:

I think Thrawn is incredibly dumb. "I know their art, so I know their military strategy" makes even less sense than single-biome planets. Why do people like Thrawn so much?

I mean, he's basically Sherlock Holmes meets Grand Moff Tarkin.

But, like Revan, most of the love likely has more to do with being exposed to the character at a young, impressionable age where critical thinking skills were weaker and their external life was nicer due to their parents providing everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

homullus posted:

They managed to tone that down enough in Rebels that he was pretty good.

• Locked thread