Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

he has the right to commit suicide. Its not like he had to die there, or the Phantom thieves killed him.

Shido used him to kill himself actually. No court would see that as suicide.

Hunt11 posted:

The two gunshots is a classic way for a dual kill to happen. Throw in the fact that the game makes sure to tell you that a brutalized corpse was just found by the police and it should be a safe bet that he is dead.

A brutalised corpse which doesn't quite make perfect sense considering we just heard a gun shot and no maulings, and is only told of in a brief news report that nobody comments on.

But even if they found his body and it was obviously shown to be Goro, he was still killed off-screen. By virtue of his death not being shown on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Shido used him to kill himself actually. No court would see that as suicide.

I feel if the metaverse was a thing in real life you would have the right to self defense against people invading your mind tbf.

Especially since Goro, you know, murdered dozens of people doing so.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Where was this news report? Always happy for more proof that Goro is dead.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

Where was this news report? Always happy for more proof that Goro is dead.

I'm pretty sure that after beating Shido you head back home and the TV is on saying something like "a dead body was found on the banks of a river, and the victim has not been identified", but everyone's worried about where Sojiro is instead since the cafe had been broken into.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Goro dies and no one remembers him afterward. A fitting end.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

slev posted:

Goro dies and no one remembers him afterward. A fitting end.

Sae does. She straight up says he vanished off the face of the earth after you get done shooting god in the head. He's not the mauled corpse.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Maybe no one cared to look

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Goro will still be in the sequels regardless of his life or death status

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

So, Goro Vs. Adachi: Which do you like better? Who was the better villain?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Akechi's the more sympathetic villian. He also does more for you to actually despise him, like actually shooting you.

On the other hand, Adachi's comeuppance is more satisfactory. Akechi robs you of your kill by suiciding.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I have graduated from my false self

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Goro and Adachi are both villains designed to be foils to the protagonist, and Akechi certainly accomplishes that better. He also has a more important relationship with the cast as a whole, and basically every member of the party can relate to him in a way which is nice. I think his reveal is better as well. Despite being completely obvious him shooting Joker is a great scene and so is every scene following it. Adachi though is the more important villain and his defeat carried more weight.

I definitely like Akechi more and am very excited to see him in spinoffs so I can beat him up.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Milady de Winter is associated with subterfuge, manipulation, and betrayal. All of Haru's problems (continuing into her S-Link) are because people are lying to her or she does not know whether she can trust the intentions of the people around her. Psy skills punish enemies who are mentally controlled and whose actions thus become easily predictable, and reflect skills turn the tables on those who would hurt you.

Guns because musketeers I guess v:shobon:v

I think with this interpretation the gun skills actually make a lot of sense. The main conflict of Haru's s link is solved by her openly addressing the new CEO in a direct, to the point conversation. While changing the CEOs heart seems to be the obvious option to players, as is using Haru for her psy skills, Haru's main conflict is solved much more easily through direct confrontation, just as the direct, uncomplicated Gun skills turn out to be a better character build for Haru in the long run.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I prefer Adachi as he openly admits he is a lovely person and is willing to accept losing to the party by bearing responsibility for all the poo poo that he did.

Goro comes in with this self-inflated view of himself and you never have a chance to really deal with it. You probably could have kept him alive if you point at the fact that you viewed him as a chump who could help you strike back against those who really matter.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

I prefer Adachi as he openly admits he is a lovely person and is willing to accept losing to the party by bearing responsibility for all the poo poo that he did.

Goro comes in with this self-inflated view of himself and you never have a chance to really deal with it. You probably could have kept him alive if you point at the fact that you viewed him as a chump who could help you strike back against those who really matter.

They do offer an olive branch to the guy and he bats it away.

Akechi's not in a great state of mind when he finally confronts the party and he deteriorates even faster when they clown his leather-daddy butt. By the time his cognitive version enters the scene he's clearly looking for an excuse to just end himself, in more ways than one.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

By the end of the fight the guy is clearly coming to slowly realise it was him who was the absolute fucker and was totally in the wrong, and is getting closer to agreeing with the gang. But then he shows up to poo poo on himself some more and Akechi decides throwing his life away to help the team is the best way to go about things.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Really, the Phantom Thieves almost get through to him after the first phase of the fight. It's why he has to use his Loki power on himself to keep fighting--he's having doubts, he hates doubts, so he blasts them out of his mind by going berserk.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
There is no universe that exists to me where Adachi is the better villain. I struggle to even muster a response to Adachi that's not me blowing a quiet raspberry, but whether you like or hate Goro, you feel SOMETHING towards him. I've said my piece on Goro a million times, I'm obnoxious by now, but even at his worse moments of writing like his backstory reveal, or his conclusion Goro at least has some sympathy and his character was def something a story about societal change needed to go.

Adachi got major face lifts in the Extended Universe Material, but I still just do not really care, but I'm super interested in what they do to with Goro

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Goro is a better written and more interesting character, but Adachi plays the role of a villain much better thanks to getting a full dungeon to play up and an actual climax and defeat. There's an actual resolution with Adachi that Goro completely lacks.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Moltrey posted:

Adachi got major face lifts in the Extended Universe Material, but I still just do not really care, but I'm super interested in what they do to with Goro

You mean like whether it's a traditional burial or they cremate him?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Saint Freak posted:

You mean like whether it's a traditional burial or they cremate him?

They cremate him, but then Akechi tries to take over Joker's mind. Wait a minute...

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I appreciated Adachi's bluntness and simplicity. I wasn't a fan of exposition dump sob backstory Akechi.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Jimbot posted:

I appreciated Adachi's bluntness and simplicity. I wasn't a fan of exposition dump sob backstory Akechi.

I had a problem with the timing of the infodump. I think they should have used his background (sans familial connection to Shido) to endear himself to the party a little bit more ("oh, maybe it isn't so strange he'd side with the Phantom Thieves, he's more like us than we thought"), and I think it'd make the reveal that the Thieves played the gently caress out of him even sweeter, that they saw through him even with the sob story on the table.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Remember that bad scene where Akechi and Shido just talk at one another about how evil they are? Adachi doesn't do that. All Adachi does is give a little push to Namatame.

e: Does anybody remember the names of the other teachers that aren't Kamoshida and Kawakami? What are they?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

As a character, Akechi is a much more compelling villain than Adachi and a better foil to the protagonist. It's just a letdown that, after he's revealed to be a villain, basically all of his remaining scenes are big exposition dumps.

Bogart posted:

Remember that bad scene where Akechi and Shido just talk at one another about how evil they are?

The "best" part of that one is how unnecessary it is. Almost everything we learn in that scene comes up again later in a more natural way as the Phantom Thieves learn those details themselves. That scene could've been cut in its entirety without losing any important plot information and that would've been a big improvement to the story all on its own.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Akechi boat scene is pretty great and so is the Adachi murder room.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, part of that is that Adachi is a fantastic foil for Yosuke not the P4 MC. Showing the darker path he could have taken if he let his boredom and nihilism run rampant instead of embracing other people.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The showdown with Akechi is definitely great, but between killing cognitive Joker and then he's just an exposition machine and it's very sad.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Adachi's story in the fighting game rules.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like Akechi better than Adachi, and I certainly like Adachi better than the loving Strega clowns.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Akechi is cool because not many henchmen that die off-screen get actual names, but he somehow worked his way up to one. Good for him.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Nanako was a better Justice S. Link than Akechi was.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

W.T. Fits posted:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i want to see Akechi's blog

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Adachis better because of his sneering profile pic that just looks like they took a picture of Adachi smiling and flipped the smile upside down to make him angry.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Akechi is the very definition of the justice arcana in the reverse so even process of elimination shows that Nanako is a better representation of justice.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
All these complaints about Akechi (weird exposition dumps, hammy sob stories) could have been fixed if he'd been a normal loving Confidant. Hell, it could have been non-spoilery just like Justine/Caroline's was and focus on him struggling with fame vs. his train-wreck home life. You could have spent more time dealing with his weird immaturity issues and gradually learn Goro has no loving idea how to sincerely interact with other people.

Want to spend more time hearing about Akechi's lovely foster parents? Fine, you can do that. Hate the fake rear end in a top hat? Skip the Confidant or button mash through it. Without a forced Confidant, how Joker feels about Akechi is more in the player's hands and more player agency is a good thing when dealing with a controversial character.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

dragon_pamcake posted:

All these complaints about Akechi (weird exposition dumps, hammy sob stories) could have been fixed if he'd been a normal loving Confidant. Hell, it could have been non-spoilery just like Justine/Caroline's was and focus on him struggling with fame vs. his train-wreck home life. You could have spent more time dealing with his weird immaturity issues and gradually learn Goro has no loving idea how to sincerely interact with other people.

Want to spend more time hearing about Akechi's lovely foster parents? Fine, you can do that. Hate the fake rear end in a top hat? Skip the Confidant or button mash through it. Without a forced Confidant, how Joker feels about Akechi is more in the player's hands and more player agency is a good thing when dealing with a controversial character.

Yea but if that didnt happen you wouldnt have gotten the rank up right when he busted in to kill you which was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

• Locked thread