Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

counterpoint: last job had like ~10% utilization, pretty much running a single service per VM, each VM scaled on whatever the resource axis it needed most, so you'd have some memory hungry thing sitting on top of 16 idle cores lmao

but that was because python + idiocy + strong culture of

use a smaller ec2 instance size op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
VMs make nice fire walls for containing security breaches.

I feel a lot better about the attack surface of qemu virtio than I do about the ~1000 system calls and api pseudo-filesystems in the Linux kernel. I'll go through the motions of setting up SELinux and such, but as far as I'm concerned the moment somebody gets local code execution you may as well consider the entire kernel to be compromised.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

VMs make nice fire walls for containing security breaches.

I feel a lot better about the attack surface of qemu virtio than I do about the ~1000 system calls and api pseudo-filesystems in the Linux kernel. I'll go through the motions of setting up SELinux and such, but as far as I'm concerned the moment somebody gets local code execution you may as well consider the entire kernel to be compromised.

we are most definitely not at the point where cgroups, namespaces, et al are a security boundary on the level of xen/kvm. however, that doesn't mean you should just disregard VMs running multitenant containers; you need to be aware of what kind of applications you are running and how they are externally accessed and gauge your risk accordingly.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shaggar posted:

its not a syntactical error and SSMS is purposefully bad at SQL development work. you may be able to configure it as a compiler warning/error in a VS db project .

yeah i know it isnt but i just wish ssms was as good as vs at highlighting my fuckups before i spend 30 minutes debugging them

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

http://langserver.org/ this looks cool but i hate the programming paradigm where every language tool is written in its own language

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

yeah i know it isnt but i just wish ssms was as good as vs at highlighting my fuckups before i spend 30 minutes debugging them

after talking to someone on the VS team about it they don't want SMSS to be used for anything more than basic maintenance. I had suggested creating a mechanism for handling schema updates and versioning directly between sql server and the source control system and he looked at me like I was crazy that the database might be the source of truth for schema.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

did you properly slap him in the mouth, shaggar?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i just wish ssms would remember my unsaved tabs when i close and restart it

like i probably dont care about this query enough to commit it to a file system but i don't just want to throw it away

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

St Evan Echoes posted:

like i probably dont care about this query enough to commit it to a file system but i don't just want to throw it away

it remembers them for me, maybe it's a setting?

i really had no idea you should be developing in vs for the database even, sounds bad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

St Evan Echoes posted:

ssms tools pack ads this functionality along w/ history for closed tabs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also database projects in VS work pretty well and dacpacs are super super easy to deploy but i'd still prefer sql server based schema management

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

good news: I made an Orca/C compiler disk for my GS

bad news: the } key on my keyboard doesn't work

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

use %>

edit: might need to use the trigraph instead ??>

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 4, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

next coding interview I should use all alternative operators

WHERES YOUR IDIOTIC TRIVIA NOW?!?!

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

Use trigraphs, they are there just for that use case!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

hobbesmaster posted:

next coding interview I should use all alternative operators

WHERES YOUR IDIOTIC TRIVIA NOW?!?!

next time I have one and they say to use whatever language you're most comfortable in I should switch the editor to erlang

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Shaggar posted:

after talking to someone on the VS team about it they don't want SMSS to be used for anything more than basic maintenance. I had suggested creating a mechanism for handling schema updates and versioning directly between sql server and the source control system and he looked at me like I was crazy that the database might be the source of truth for schema.

gently caress this is like when i suggested that maybe we should actually version stored procs instead of relying on people to put comments in them and was told 'yeah that would cost money' so it never happened.

instead i have to pedantically dig through svn history so i can tell who to blame and more practically, try and ensure that nobody is working on something that might touch the same proc at the same time

edit: which works because i know this goddamn system like the back of my hand and if i was left alone for like 1 month i could refactor 50% of into mvc

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 4, 2017

Pointsman
Oct 9, 2010

If you see me posting about fitness
ASK ME HOW MY HELLRAISER TRAINING IS GOING

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

they also seem to be allergic to actually using relational data. from what i can tell what should be an entity model with lots of one to many relationships is frequently just one row in a table with values stuffed into it as strings. like, even storing the xml blobs and parsing at run time would be better than that.

This with huge amounts of nulls is something I've seen in multiple Oracle databases. I'm not sure if it's an Oracle consultant thing

Pointsman fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 5, 2017

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Pointsman posted:

This with huge amounts of nulls is something I've seen in multiple Oracle databases. I'm not sure if it's an Oracle consultant thing

years ago when i was first starting out on the path of terrible programming i asked why an app had such a godawful database structure (1 to many in the same table to do a parent-child structure but where there could be thousands of children and no indexes) and was told "well, they were used to working on oracle so cut them some slack"

from then on i dissed oracle at every possible opportunity so i guess it was a good education

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hifi posted:

http://langserver.org/ this looks cool but i hate the programming paradigm where every language tool is written in its own language

it's really convenient, because if you want Piss# support in your editor you probably already have a working Piss# environment

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

we did it

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i would prefer a nullable column to a "one to zero or one" relation between two tables

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

orca! now there's a name I haven't heard for many many years

I kinda want a IIgs and have a source, but I really want to stick to 68K Mac and LispM stuff for retrocomputing

though maybe if I could find a proto Ethernet card...

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

oh that white on blue, how I wanted it back before I committed to Mac...

how's it feel, Luigi? how's it feel? (also, fix your keyboard, how hard could it be?)

oh yeah, do you have the Apple IIgs Bose speakers? I have a former coworker that has his, they look slick and still sound great.

eschaton fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 5, 2017

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

i would prefer a nullable column to a "one to zero or one" relation between two tables

so would i generally but not when its being used to store history of each row by inserting a 'child' row on every update into a 2 million+ row table with like 25 columns and no indexes.

just adding a basic index improved performance massively compared to what the users had been left with by the original devs

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

That looked like the worlds weirdest window air conditioner when I first looked at it.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel like most people's DB schema falls apart in the face of "oh poo poo, the customer wants edit history"

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

fleshweasel posted:

I feel like most people's DB schema falls apart in the face of "oh poo poo, the customer wants edit history"

I implemented event sourcing for an internal project here that needed edit history, and a pleasant side-effect was how much easier it was to handle read-model schema changes. replaying events ftw

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

public announcement: if you are writing fancy multi-threaded code please check that it still works under process affinity settings.

Online, configured, and available core counts can be different :supaburn:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MrMoo posted:

public announcement: if you are writing fancy multi-threaded code please

use the OTP behaviors that erlang or elixir ship with

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

MrMoo posted:

public announcement: if you are writing fancy multi-threaded code please check that it still works under process affinity settings.

Online, configured, and available core counts can be different :supaburn:

lol if you manually specify a number of cores like a peasant

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

eschaton posted:

orca! now there's a name I haven't heard for many many years

I kinda want a IIgs and have a source, but I really want to stick to 68K Mac and LispM stuff for retrocomputing

though maybe if I could find a proto Ethernet card...

I don't have a 68k Mac set up for retro junk, just an Amiga and this GS. I even downloaded the GS Toolbox Reference so I can make mad Super Hi-Res Graphics

eschaton posted:

oh that white on blue, how I wanted it back before I committed to Mac...

how's it feel, Luigi? how's it feel? (also, fix your keyboard, how hard could it be?)

oh yeah, do you have the Apple IIgs Bose speakers? I have a former coworker that has his, they look slick and still sound great.

I swapped it for a different, working keyboard. nope, no Bose speakers

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cocoa Crispies posted:

use the OTP behaviors that erlang or elixir ship with

this but just shove it down a gcd queue instead

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Potassium Problems posted:

I implemented event sourcing for an internal project here that needed edit history, and a pleasant side-effect was how much easier it was to handle read-model schema changes. replaying events ftw

how does event sourcing play with changing schema over time

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

fleshweasel posted:

create some triggers to log the old row versions to another table

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:lol: some lengths to go there.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

at least they didn't use poop emojis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

lmao

• Locked thread