Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Uncool opinion alert: I gotta admit that after Kadara I'm starting to enjoy Mass Effect Andromeda. It's better than 3, which I thought was poo poo all the way through - not just the ending. Definitely too much extraneous stuff though, and some bad writing in parts - including the main mission - but also some of the charm that made me love ME2. Glitches are virtually non-existent, despite what you've seen, and the game is beautiful, although I didn't start playing until after the big first patch.

It's an incredibly expansive game too. Reviews were extra harsh, most obviously rushed through it, and youtubers happily tore it to shreds for clicks of course. The "my face is tired" lady is basically a non-factor after that one scene, and they managed to improve the visuals of that interaction... although they should have scrapped the line completely.

I wouldn't skip if you like Mass Effect or Dragon Age Inquisition or those types of games.

I liked Andromeda as well, but I think it has major, major problems. The first of which is that the characters definitely aren't as fleshed out as they could have been. My main complaint though, is that the game has way, way, way too much fluff quests, and a lot of them near the end of the game are "Talk to person on planet, go to other planet, fight quick fight or just talk again, go there, now you're finally done" which, with how long traveling between planets can be, and how long it takes to get your destination gets old, fast.

I found most Mass Effect games, even doing a lot of the sidequests, I could generally be done in the 40-50 hour mark my first time through, if not faster. Andromeda took me 70 hours. I did an Insanity run of just the story and a tiny, tiny bit of side stuff. I wanna say it took me maybe 7-8 hours? When 60+ hours of your game is sidequest fluff stuff, that's a gigantic problem. I'd really like to seem them pull back from doing the open world stuff and go back to making the fun set piece stuff that Mass Effect 2 and 3 did because it works a lot better for doing multiple runs of the games and there's a lot less busywork.

I appreciate what they tried to do, but there's a reason why Mass Effect 2 and 3 didn't have the Mako and planet exploring. It's because it was the worst aspects of the first game and it's once again the worst aspects of Andromeda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Xaris posted:

I'm sure their VERY deep and upmost concern about turning the plot threads into a coherent and satisfying story for all their fans whom they absolutely love is 100% S-E's entire reason that it's taken over a dec-ahaha

The real reason is it just being Nomura dropping the ball on managing, what, three projects at the same time? (FFVII Remake, KHIII and FFXV)

I'm sure that now that he's got a little less on his plate he'll be able to turn out a coherent and complete finale to the Kingdom Hearts franchipfffthahahaha, oh lord I can't do it either.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
FFXV got passed to someone else

I'm going to laugh if FFVII and KHIII also get passed on to someone else and end up held together with duct tape like FFXV

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'll play and enjoy the two hour game + 40 hours of cutscenes that KH III becomes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lakbay posted:

FFXV got passed to someone else

I'm going to laugh if FFVII and KHIII also get passed on to someone else and end up held together with duct tape like FFXV

Hence 'less on his plate'. I'd bet on KHIII rather than FFVII getting passed off though, as that's supposed to be near-done by now and he's got nothing to publicly show for it (barring maybe at e3 this year) since a small gameplay teaser from over a year ago.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The first FF7R episode will end with Guard Scorpion which was the first 15 minutes of the original and be $60

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Lakbay posted:

The first FF7R episode will end with Guard Scorpion which was the first 15 minutes of the original and be $60

Maybe they'll take the MGSV: Ground Zeroes route and stretch that 15 minutes of gameplay as long as possible. That way you'll get to REALLY know the Sector 1 reactor.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm sure they are, they added the "slowly move through a crevice" and cover system from FFXV in what little gameplay we've seen of FF7R

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

SettingSun posted:

Maybe they'll take the MGSV: Ground Zeroes route and stretch that 15 minutes of gameplay as long as possible. That way you'll get to REALLY know the Sector 1 reactor.

To be honest, I'd be 100% okay with this.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
I can't wait to play 3 games worth of DLC when we climb the Shinra tower, I hope they add some kind of stamina endurance minigame or make me stop to cook food for my team

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'd bet good money that the first Episode will end at the highway escape from Midgar, because it's a clean break in terms of assets they can recycle.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd bet good money that the first Episode will end at the highway escape from Midgar, because it's a clean break in terms of assets they can recycle.

It makes perfect sense and yet an amazing dick tease at the same time, because it was such a mind-blowing thing to experience as a kid. I honestly thought I was almost done with the game at that point (never mind the other discs) and... Holy poo poo, that was basically an intro? And there's a whole proper Final Fantasy overworld to explore? Having the remake stop right there will be a fairly epic case of blue balls I think.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

DrNutt posted:

It makes perfect sense and yet an amazing dick tease at the same time, because it was such a mind-blowing thing to experience as a kid. I honestly thought I was almost done with the game at that point (never mind the other discs) and... Holy poo poo, that was basically an intro? And there's a whole proper Final Fantasy overworld to explore? Having the remake stop right there will be a fairly epic case of blue balls I think.

I would hate them so much for this and then fork over the next $25 for the season pass.

Hitman has shown that episodic games can work, but I'm still not sure how they will be able to divide FF7 into chunks that make sense and aren't too empty or too dense. I get why they want to do this (it's a huge game), but I'm still curious.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
A really early interview said they're scrapping the Overworld so there's some stuff they can add

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morby posted:

I would hate them so much for this and then fork over the next $25 for the season pass.

Hitman has shown that episodic games can work, but I'm still not sure how they will be able to divide FF7 into chunks that make sense and aren't too empty or too dense. I get why they want to do this (it's a huge game), but I'm still curious.

Midgar is the easiest part. It's a self-contained city with a strong cohesive plot arc that leads to the perfect ending for a cut-off for future content. Beyond that is going to be a question but Midgar is basically easy mode in that regards.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Midgar is the easiest part. It's a self-contained city with a strong cohesive plot arc that leads to the perfect ending for a cut-off for future content. Beyond that is going to be a question but Midgar is basically easy mode in that regards.

FF7 has a pretty dense narrative that is also somewhat incomprehensible towards the end. I have no idea how they can convey that and have it make sense in episodic chunks. I assume replaying them all in sequence would be the expectation.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lakbay posted:

A really early interview said they're scrapping the Overworld so there's some stuff they can add

Oh gently caress that. Motherfuckers.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
If they scrap the overworld how the hell do they make the Midgard Zolum seem scary as poo poo or like it's chasing you? That 1 sentence made me very sad now for this game.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Morby posted:

FF7 has a pretty dense narrative that is also somewhat incomprehensible towards the end. I have no idea how they can convey that and have it make sense in episodic chunks. I assume replaying them all in sequence would be the expectation.

they'll plop down whatever cutscenes they manage to finish and some exposition here and there, the rest of the plot will be in data logs, an anime series, a mobile game, some comics, FF7:advent children zero, limited edition toilet paper and dlc

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Getting the airship will not feel as triumphant if there's no overworld map :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dnl6NoEVdo

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Getting the airship will not feel as triumphant if there's no overworld map :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dnl6NoEVdo

AAAAH, AAAAAH. :neckbeard:

That music makes me all fluffy inside even now.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Apparently LocoRoco Remastered comes out on the 9th, where the hell is Patapon?!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'd expect Midgar to turn into a larger Yakuza style central hub area that branches off into all the various dungeons, I can't see it working otherwise.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I figure it'd be the boat honestly. You could turn Jenova into a giant monster and have that be an appropriate first episode final boss.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Xaris posted:

I'm sure their VERY deep and upmost concern about turning the plot threads into a coherent and satisfying story for all their fans whom they absolutely love is 100% S-E's entire reason that it's taken over a dec-ahaha

After Dream Drop Distance, I want maximum incoherent insanity.Just bring the full force of Xehanort on me. Make me a Xehanort, game

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Kingdom Hearts is really bad

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Kingdom Hearts is light though.

DS3 pre-alpha footage supposedly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk_D2NSdOvA

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

DrNutt posted:

Oh gently caress that. Motherfuckers.

The overworld in FF7 was very bad.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

FF7 was very bad.

FIXED IT FOR YOU

honestly I am very excited for the FF7 remaster because I enjoy schadenfreude very much

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FishBulb posted:

FIXED IT FOR YOU

honestly I am very excited for the FF7 remaster because I enjoy schadenfreude very much

Pretty sad tbh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm excited for the FF7 remaster because it's going to be good.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's a bummer about the overworld. I always liked it. Crossing that desert was a massive undertaking due to that huge snake. I was really bad a catching chocobos when I was younger.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jimbot posted:

That's a bummer about the overworld. I always liked it. Crossing that desert was a massive undertaking due to that huge snake. I was really bad a catching chocobos when I was younger.

It can't he too memorable of you dont remember that it was a marsh/swamp.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Jimbot posted:

exploded mummy posted:

It can't he too memorable of you dont remember that it was a marsh/swamp.

:drat:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm excited for the FF7 remaster because it's going to be good.

First time for everything I guess

Also what are the winning lottery numbers in the future world you inhabit

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

an actual dog posted:

Kingdom Hearts is really bad

Back when it came out eons ago I thought Kingdom Hearts had just about the dumbest, most off putting premise for a video game ever. Nothing has changed.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Morby posted:

I recently went through the PS4 release and discovered that you can complete the game (and get the platinum trophy) without ever seeing the cutscene that shows Zack escaping with Cloud on the truck and eventually getting gunned down. It's not that the story is incomprehensible. It's that there are entire story elements that piece things together that they made entirely optional, and that's a headscratcher, to say the least.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

veni veni veni posted:

Back when it came out eons ago I thought Kingdom Hearts had just about the dumbest, most off putting premise for a video game ever. Nothing has changed.

"Donald Duck and Goofy and a kid with clown shoes beat up all the Disney villains" is the good kind of dumb premise. The problem is the games focus on entirely the wrong thing and it very quickly became the boring kind of dumb.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

"Donald Duck and Goofy and a kid with clown shoes beat up all the Disney villains" is the good kind of dumb premise. The problem is the games focus on entirely the wrong thing and it very quickly became the boring kind of dumb.

Required viewing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FishBulb posted:

First time for everything I guess

Also what are the winning lottery numbers in the future world you inhabit

Final Fantasy's track record has been pretty good with only three or four genuinely bad games in its history so I am looking forward to the remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
News Flash: most JRPGs you fondly remember actually have really bad and repetitive gameplay coupled with insipid :anime: plotlines.

ChronoTrigger is the exception because time travel and magic frogs and robots and impending apocaly- gently caress YOU :arghfist::ssj: