Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I was going to buy IF Gomez solely to play that over my mic when I scored until I found out mics are muted on fut champs. Weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I got that same Kruse card too :unsmith:

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

A couple things that are probably obvious:
* Buy the EAFC coin boosts. When you're poor, those level 20ish 1000x10 boosts are significant and pretty much free if you've played previous FIFAs or run through Alex Hunter mode.
* If you're buying packs, don't horde poo poo you aren't going to use. Card values generally decline over time and the market is probably going to crater in the next few weeks when TOTS hits. Use futbin.com to figure out a good price as well as a good time to buy or sell. You generally want to sell on the weekends and buy on, like Monday or Tuesday.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Got TOTW33 Koulibaly from marquee matchups this week. Serie A squad is starting look quite nice.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Got myself a PS4 Pro last week and will finally pick up this game. Can anyone recommend a good write-up or guide for starting FUT 17? I dabbled a bit in Fifa 15 on the PS3, but couldn't really put a sustainable team together.

Any other recommendations for Fifa resources would also be appreciated. Everything seems to be Youtube tutorials with annoying rap intros.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Serendipitaet posted:

Got myself a PS4 Pro last week and will finally pick up this game. Can anyone recommend a good write-up or guide for starting FUT 17? I dabbled a bit in Fifa 15 on the PS3, but couldn't really put a sustainable team together.

Any other recommendations for Fifa resources would also be appreciated. Everything seems to be Youtube tutorials with annoying rap intros.

The answer to these questions depends entirely on whether or not you would like a market-based solution to your virtual footballing needs.

e: I skimmed your post, so it looks like you are looking for a market-based solution. In that case, I hope you like reading, because this thread is the WSJ of TAQ

TheBigAristotle fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 5, 2017

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Serendipitaet posted:

For tutorials I recommend Boraslegend, he's a well regarded pro player who doesn't do dumb hype poo poo and has excellent, thorough tutorial vids for gameplay stuff.

https://youtube.com/channel/UC3VShdRR6vAp2FZIqoS4N1w

For general FUT stuff uhhh I don't know, it's pretty complicated at this point and you're jumping in pretty late in the year. Team of the season is starting soon so the best cards in the game are gonna start being released weekly by league, and prices are at an all time low so you can build nice teams for very, very low prices. Don't buy packs with coins, do squad builder challenges with your spare players (The fifa subreddit has lists pop up pretty regularly of recommended ones to do for the best chance at a profit), play divisions and if you get up into the top 2 divisions you can start auto qualifying for the weekend league which is where the real fun/stress/anger/rewards begin.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 5, 2017

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

TheBigAristotle posted:

The answer to these questions depends entirely on whether or not you would like a market-based solution to your virtual footballing needs.

e: I skimmed your post, so it looks like you are looking for a market-based solution. In that case, I hope you like reading, because this thread is the WSJ of TAQ

Market-based solution to building the team as opposed to just opening packs? That's a definite yes, and I'll be following the thread. What's a TAQ? :)

hopterque posted:

For tutorials I recommend Boraslegend, he's a well regarded pro player who doesn't do dumb hype poo poo and has excellent, thorough tutorial vids for gameplay stuff.

https://youtube.com/channel/UC3VShdRR6vAp2FZIqoS4N1w

For general FUT stuff uhhh I don't know, it's pretty complicated at this point and you're jumping in pretty late in the year. Team of the season is starting soon so the best cards in the game are gonna start being released weekly by league, and prices are at an all time low so you can build nice teams for very, very low prices. Don't buy packs with coins, do squad builder challenges with your spare players (The fifa subreddit has lists pop up pretty regularly of recommended ones to do for the best chance at a profit), play divisions and if you get up into the top 2 divisions you can start auto qualifying for the weekend league which is where the real fun/stress/anger/rewards begin.

Cool, thanks, that's what I was looking for in a tutorial.

I realize it might not be an ideal time to start but my ambitions aren't that high. I guess I'll just jump in, but some pointers like the things you mention will help that.

edit: vv :monocle:

Serendipitaet fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 5, 2017

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Serendipitaet posted:

Market-based solution to building the team as opposed to just opening packs? That's a definite yes, and I'll be following the thread. What's a TAQ? :)

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium > The Armchair Quarterback

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
https://gfycat.com/DownrightArtisticDowitcher

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

your mother scores goals in hell!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
lol that's awesome

8-2 so far this weekend, good start. Although I've started the last couple weekends like 13-3 both times and managed to hash it up by the end so we'll see if I go on another bad streak later.

Since it's been several weeks in where I play nothing but bads for the first few games (this time the guy didn't even get a single shot off in my first game and I had 69% posession), I keep thinking that it matchmakes you partially by your current # of wins, but I dunno. That could explain why I keep starting strong and then fading though, if I'm just running into the good players only after getting 13-15 wins.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
My best finishes have consistently been linked to my best starts, I'm at this point completely at a loss to explain how the matchmaking might even theoretically work.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

hopterque posted:

Monthly rewards are out and holy loving poo poo did I hit paydirt.

Pure sex

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

No wait, this is Pure Sex.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Is neuer noticeably better than other BL keepers? I've used Adler up to this point in the year but I'm sitting on 1 million coins. Keepers are such a crap shoot. 86 Hradecky has been poo poo for me for instance.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

Is neuer noticeably better than other BL keepers? I've used Adler up to this point in the year but I'm sitting on 1 million coins. Keepers are such a crap shoot. 86 Hradecky has been poo poo for me for instance.

TOTGS Fahrman is probably the best keeper in the bundesliga, but they're all a crapshoot, like, every keeper in the whole game has the same issues.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

hopterque posted:

TOTGS Fahrman is probably the best keeper in the bundesliga, but they're all a crapshoot, like, every keeper in the whole game has the same issues.

Yeah, I feel that this year more than ever tbh. The reason I'm even using adler is because he's consistent for me despite being average. I did just concede 3 to loving SIF Martial aka Legend Henry (still won the game) and I was wondering about pricier keepers. I remember in previous years, 15, and 14 especially, neuer and the elite keepers did actually feel a step above.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 6, 2017

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

Yeah, I feel that this year more than ever tbh. The reason I'm even using adler is because he's consistent for me despite being average. I did just concede 3 to loving SIF Martial aka Legend Henry (still won the game) and I was wondering about pricier keepers. I remember in previous years, 15, and 14 especially, neuer and the elite keepers did actually feel a step above.

Yeah this year keepers don't really stand out for positive reasons reliably enough for any recommendation to stick. Like, I've had great experiences with Joe Hart and Schmeichel's inform but a lot of other people haven't, it really seems to be on a case by case basis so the only recommendation that can honestly be made is "these guys worked for me, give them ten or twenty games and see what happens" and even then most of the time different people are going to find different 'favorites'.

Favorites in this case meaning mostly who fucks up the least badly the least often instead of anything positive.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

lol, what the gently caress did Pogba do in that 1-0 win over Celta to get a 91 motm. EA's fellating of the EPL, and United especially, is insane.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I like Neuer because he has all of the best traits like comes out for crosses and long throw. He can throw it to the striker from the goal box very easily and start a counter attack without having to kick it, etc

Also, 12-2 now which is my new best ever start

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Stefan Prodan posted:

I like Neuer because he has all of the best traits like comes out for crosses and long throw. He can throw it to the striker from the goal box very easily and start a counter attack without having to kick it, etc

Also, 12-2 now which is my new best ever start

I don't like Neuer because he runs forward like a loving moron way more than any other keeper in the game and has cost me goals by doing it. Not being able to save seemingly easy shots is one thing, traits that lead directly to mistakes that cause goals are another.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Weird, I don't think he's ever done that for me

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I think you'll find that the best BL keeper is a hybridized jack butland

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think the Butland mystique is all confirmation bias. I just played a dude earlier who had Butland and I had 4 shots and 4 goals. They were all outside the box, and he ragequit lol

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah, as much as De Gea/Courtois/Lloris piss me off with stupid poo poo, they clearly make saves Butland doesn't. He's a good option for starting/cheap/low star squads but the fact players will still use him/musa when they could clearly afford at least Lloris/Vardy mystifies me

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Stefan Prodan posted:

I think the Butland mystique is all confirmation bias. I just played a dude earlier who had Butland and I had 4 shots and 4 goals. They were all outside the box, and he ragequit lol

yeah but as often as this will happen you have games where he'll make like 5 miracle saves and win a game for a guy.

The issue with every keeper in the game is consistency.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Alright so with all the errors in the game, I'm increasingly getting annoyed at the loving automated animations you have zero say in. It's such an absolute joke. The dumb defending, the constant nutmegs on your players in perfect position etc. etc. I can chalk up to poor game design. Why do my players, slide tackle, chest the ball, and literally attempt to score headers without my input. It's a joke. Here's a goal I gave away the other day. My center back without my prompting runs 50 meters upfield to chest the ball to the opponent and ends up about 20 meters past the forward he was marking after the heroic act leaving an easy throughball open . The stupid chesting animation lasts like 2 seconds.

here he was

here he was when I was able to gain control over him.

I wish I saved the clip from yesterday when I had a perfect cross sent in to my one CAM with good heading and I had the power on the header set (you can power up at the height of the cross before contact) and my 5'4 forward that I wasn't controlling unprompted headed the cross on his own and missed with his poo poo heading accuracy. This crap has no place in the game and it can't be argued to be good in anyway. iirc the autonomous actions have only been in the game since 16 when they first started adding fun stuff like your cbs whiffing headers and stumbling on throughballs to gift your opponents goals.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
yeah that stuff happens but then again so does THIS MAGIC GET THE gently caress IN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIiouS3iv6I

also this which iirc made them all rage quit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruBfM6UK-cQ

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Finished my WL poo poo, ended up with 24 wins again after starting 12-2, so I had a couple pretty bad streaks in there.

Lost a bunch of 1-0 games so I feel like if I can get better at scoring I can pull a few more out. I'm not great at defending but I feel like there's so few REALLY good players on offense that I come up against that I'm good enough to win 30 with my current defensive ability. I only played against a couple where I felt like they just totally outclassed me.

Hopterque, are you on PS4 or Xbox ? If you're on PS4, want to play some friendlies sometime? I know we are pretty close in skill level or you might be slightly better than me, maybe we can give each other tips or try to get better together or something

Oh I did have a loving great game though where I was down 3-0 at 60' and the guy paused 3 times to try and get me to quit but I came back to tie it then won in penalties

Wish I could have dabbed after the penalties

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 6, 2017

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I'm on ps4, PSN is the same name as here.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Cool I'll add you, maybe we can level up together

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Stefan Prodan posted:

Cool I'll add you, maybe we can level up together

Ooh baby.

But yeah, practicing some is probably a good idea.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Got relegated to division 3 while playing around with that Bundesliga and Calcio A squad that I'd been talking about. Although a week off the game actually made me really rusty defensively so I lost a couple that I shouldn't have. Love SBC Lewa so far. 88 Immobile doesn't seem to be doing much though like you said hopterque.

Meanwhile I packed a vanilla Vardy and paired him with Benteke in a 4-3-1-2. Those two are sick together.

I won my first 6 games in Div 3 when I got the hang of it.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Stefan Prodan posted:

It really is. I routinely score against that dude. I actually just scored 6 against a guy with Butland/Smalling/Baily :feelsgood:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Good lord that loving pass :perfect:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

I wasn't sure if I would love SIF Modeste more than IF Modeste, but I do. The man is a monster and the amazing game:goal ratio continues.

Some highlights,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjNdMNqO0Dk&t=22s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yw4jvjhBEo&t=23s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WHKJmRECy8&t=32s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxBl04A7has

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWWI4XW11v0&t=25s

I really should do this celebration more,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NHzeReL2D8&t=12s

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Tzen posted:

It really is. I routinely score against that dude. I actually just scored 6 against a guy with Butland/Smalling/Baily :feelsgood:

Yeah Cech routinely outperforms him for me. I think most high end keepers are serviceable tbh. I can almost always identify the cause of goals against as a defensive mistake by myself.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Tzen posted:

I wasn't sure if I would love SIF Modeste more than IF Modeste, but I do. The man is a monster and the amazing game:goal ratio continues.

Some highlights,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjNdMNqO0Dk&t=22s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yw4jvjhBEo&t=23s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WHKJmRECy8&t=32s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxBl04A7has

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWWI4XW11v0&t=25s

I really should do this celebration more,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NHzeReL2D8&t=12s

Even better news: Good chance he's gonna get a 3rd inform this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Important reminder: If you're really struggling against an opponent, it pays to have a 2nd formation you can switch to at half time. You have to set everyone's instructions again (so, stay back while attacking for LB/RB, etc) but after you've done it a dozen times or so that'll become second nature.

I was playing this guy with a full inform serie A team and he was working me the first half, he scored first but I got lucky off a corner kick shortly before halftime, so I switched from the 4321 to the 41212 narrow and then this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0FsljnqjRg

Perisic scored 5 to absolutely shut the drat game down, and then Mertens adds on a couple at the end after the game is over, leading to me turning a game I was lucky to be in at all into a 7-1 demolition, the other guy just had no answer for my formation/playstyle switch.

• Locked thread