Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

spectralent posted:

In general hilarious stories about loving up tanks would be great.

There's stories of at least one Polish cavalry trooper getting alongside a tank with his horse and getting a grenade onto the engine deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I saw an Abrams get hit by an EFP IED. It knocked a track off and disabled it, then like 3 or 4 dudes popped out and shot it with RPGs. There was a lot of smoke and boom but afterwards the tank was just sort of sitting there, still shooting. I bet those guys were pissed, it was a pro ambush and they executed it perfectly but it was like the modern war equivalent of Homer Simpson as a boxer.

edit - they recovered it and fixed it in the battalion level depot even after all that.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

bewbies posted:

I saw an Abrams get hit by an EFP IED. It knocked a track off and disabled it, then like 3 or 4 dudes popped out and shot it with RPGs. There was a lot of smoke and boom but afterwards the tank was just sort of sitting there, still shooting. I bet those guys were pissed, it was a pro ambush and they executed it perfectly but it was like the modern war equivalent of Homer Simpson as a boxer.

edit - they recovered it and fixed it in the battalion level depot even after all that.

I bet the Iraqis who peppered a Challenger 2 with 70 RPG rounds must have been wondering what the gently caress was going on by the end of it.

I wonder if they all got killed or just turned around, shrugged at each other and walked off.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's stories of at least one Polish cavalry trooper getting alongside a tank with his horse and getting a grenade onto the engine deck.

:drat:

I read about how Polish "charges" on tanks were actually a defensive measure because most tanks had lovely turret traverse and if you could get behind the hull you were basically safe, but that sounds like one of those back-justifying things to explain myths.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hilarious stories about military gently caress ups are my favorite part of this thread, tbh.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

spectralent posted:

:drat:

I read about how Polish "charges" on tanks were actually a defensive measure because most tanks had lovely turret traverse and if you could get behind the hull you were basically safe, but that sounds like one of those back-justifying things to explain myths.

Polish cavalry were essentially dragoons. Horses can go a lot of places cars can't, and very fast. The Poles were not charging tanks with cavalry as a strategy

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nenonen posted:

Tankers are soft vulnerable terrified sacks of blood trapped inside a metal cage.
so are pikemen and cuirassiers, when you think about it

Nenonen posted:

loving Luftwaffe. I knew they had a Panzer Division but now it also dawned on me that they also had a naval squadron. And as you might guess, Hermann Göring had low quality seamen.
it's a man's life, in the german air force's navy's army

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's as bad as the PLAN-AF.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Polish cavalry were essentially dragoons. Horses can go a lot of places cars can't, and very fast. The Poles were not charging tanks with cavalry as a strategy

Yeah these accounts involve Polish Cavalry bumping into German formations in deep mist/fog and then charging rather than dismounting, which in the couple of instances where it happened worked really well up until the point where German armoured vehicles appeared on the scene, which the Poles had no way of knowing was going to happen given the general lack of visibility and confusion.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It's also worth noting that the Germans were also using cav as recon and mobile light infantry in that conflict as well.

These guys are in Russia two years later, but it conveys the idea:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Or, rather, at all.

There were sixteen cavalry charges conducted during the September Campaign and they are all well accounted for. None of them included tanks. I think all were successful in their original objective of destroying encountered German infantry formations, and one broke down afterwards when a bunch of armoured cars unexpectedly showed up to the scene.

Cavalry charging tanks is a myth.

There is, however, another, cooler myth.

A legend has it that there was another, seventeenth charge, supposedly conducted by the 1st Tartar Cavalry Squadron of the 13th Vilnius Uhlan Regiment. According to the myth, they encountered a German infantry unit while trying to join up with a larger force (probably during the retreat to the Romanian Bridgehead, I cannot recall for sure). Faced with no other alternative, the squadron commander knew he had to charge to get through the German line and push on, denying them opportunity to pursue, but he did not have the time or resources to actually dispatch the German force.

Hence, he ordered the unit to charge and "cut from the ear".

According to the legend, this charge was not accounted for in official documents of the unit because regulations specifically outlined any and all potential goals that a charge may be undertaken for, and "forcing the enemy to go look for their ears in the tall grass" was not one of them.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It doesn't help that the traditional image of cavalry is of knights charging in with lances so of course people assume that if cavalry and tanks are on the same battlefield, of course the only way the battle could go would be a bunch of suicidal cavalry with lances trying to charge tanks head on.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Tevery Best posted:

Or, rather, at all.

There were sixteen cavalry charges conducted during the September Campaign and they are all well accounted for. None of them included tanks. I think all were successful in their original objective of destroying encountered German infantry formations, and one broke down afterwards when a bunch of armoured cars unexpectedly showed up to the scene.

If wikipedia is to be believed it was an infantry unit waiting for their tank support to catch up. Even then when the polish cavalry charged they successfully scattered the infantry, before being caught by the tanks.

Also to note cavalry units would tend to have anti tank guns since *surprise* they already have horses around and the expertise to tow them.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

zoux posted:

Hilarious stories about military gently caress ups are my favorite part of this thread, tbh.

Seconded, though it's neck-and-neck with learning about lesser known conflicts or the other stuff that just plain doesn't show up in most accounts of military history.

MikeCrotch posted:

I bet the Iraqis who peppered a Challenger 2 with 70 RPG rounds must have been wondering what the gently caress was going on by the end of it.

I wonder if they all got killed or just turned around, shrugged at each other and walked off.

Even better, if memory serves the attack included pilfered (?) MILANs and at least one RPG-29. poo poo's ridiculous.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Well the conversation regarding cavalry charges reminded me of the the purported 'last cavalry charge' of the Italians on the eastern front, and found the following:

quote:

Corporal Lolli, unable to draw, as his saber was frozen in its sheath, charged holding high a hand grenade; Trumpeter Carenzi, having to handle both trumpet and pistol, shot by mistake his own horse in the head.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Well the conversation regarding cavalry charges reminded me of the the purported 'last cavalry charge' of the Italians on the eastern front, and found the following:

I've done that in Red Dead Redemption.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Next you're going to try to tell me that their submarines didn't have screen doors

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah, I know, hence why I suspect the "Cavalry charged tanks to confound their slow traverses" thing is a thing that didn't happen to explain another thing that didn't happen, rather than a thing I must assume to be fact.

Tevery Best posted:

Or, rather, at all.

There is, however, another, cooler myth.

A legend has it that there was another, seventeenth charge, supposedly conducted by the 1st Tartar Cavalry Squadron of the 13th Vilnius Uhlan Regiment. According to the myth, they encountered a German infantry unit while trying to join up with a larger force (probably during the retreat to the Romanian Bridgehead, I cannot recall for sure). Faced with no other alternative, the squadron commander knew he had to charge to get through the German line and push on, denying them opportunity to pursue, but he did not have the time or resources to actually dispatch the German force.

Hence, he ordered the unit to charge and "cut from the ear".

According to the legend, this charge was not accounted for in official documents of the unit because regulations specifically outlined any and all potential goals that a charge may be undertaken for, and "forcing the enemy to go look for their ears in the tall grass" was not one of them.

This on the other hand is dope.

Soup Inspector posted:

Even better, if memory serves the attack included pilfered (?) MILANs and at least one RPG-29. poo poo's ridiculous.

:psyduck:

I thought MBTs basically couldn't have meaningful side armour anymore?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's also worth noting that the Germans were also using cav as recon and mobile light infantry in that conflict as well.

These guys are in Russia two years later, but it conveys the idea:

The last U.S. Cavalry charge happened in 1942 during the retreat into Bataan, and the man who led it only died a few years ago.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Tias posted:

The 'geballte ladung' (I think it could translate to 'bundled charge?') was just this, a handful of stick grenade charges taped around one stick grenade, and bob's your uncle, fanny's your aunt, you got an anti-tank weapon.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Soup Inspector posted:

My recollection of accounts is that the tank was being attacked because it got stuck in a ditch and couldn't reverse out, and was unable to actually return fire for the entire encounter.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

How were the tied-on heads ignited? Was it just hoped that the blast from the central head would set the rest off?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Grand Prize Winner posted:

How were the tied-on heads ignited? Was it just hoped that the blast from the central head would set the rest off?

Not hoped, that's how they were detonated.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Was the Saving Private Ryan thing of 'plastic explosives in a greasy sock' as an improvised anti-tank weapon actually tried, and was it effective?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fangz posted:

Was the Saving Private Ryan thing of 'plastic explosives in a greasy sock' as an improvised anti-tank weapon actually tried, and was it effective?

Yes, real thing, yes but ask anyone and they'd prefer an AT gun.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Yup. Essentially, you got one big boom (or a closely-coupled series of smaller ones) which hopefully does more damage than just a single grenade. No shaped-charge aspect, which would be much more effective but can't be cobbled together in the field as easily.

This has a shaped charge, and a way to stabilize it so the loud end landed in the proper position.

Still, it's recommended for braver dudes with strong throwing arms.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
You can always bring mallet with you when you climb onto the tank and bash its machineguns until they bend.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

spectralent posted:

:psyduck:

I thought MBTs basically couldn't have meaningful side armour anymore?

The Challenger 2 is pretty absurdly well armoured; I recall someone either in here or elsewhere noting that post-WWII or thereabouts British armour design prioritised armour and firepower over mobility. Discounting that, I can't tell you off-hand what angle the tank was being attacked from.

Alchenar posted:

My recollection of accounts is that the tank was being attacked because it got stuck in a ditch and couldn't reverse out, and was unable to actually return fire for the entire encounter.

This lines up with what I remember - I was adding that it wasn't "only" RPG-7s that were involved in the attempts to destroy the tank, though the vast majority were indeed RPG-7s (I think it was only one MILAN and RPG-29 each?). At least if I remember the incident right.

Soup Inspector fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 5, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
They made that up for the film. Axle grease is thick, but it's not especially *sticky*, and it's not going to be able to bond a block of Composition B to a dirty and dusty tank wheel.

The actual 'sticky bomb' was a pretty impractical British anti-tank grenade that was mainly issued to Home Guard units, due mainly to the British sense of humor.

Alchenar posted:

Yes, real thing, yes but ask anyone and they'd prefer an AT gun.

I'm prepared to be corrected, but I sure haven't seen it in any field manual.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I suspect the writers got the sticky bomb and the Gammon bomb confused.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Kafouille posted:

The 2.76in WWII vintage Bazooka did have issues with T-34 in Korea, that's why they upgraded to the 3.5in Super Bazooka. The original zook only penetrated about 90mm, that means that a T-34-85 ends up having just enough armor to resist it from the front completely, and the side of the turret would also have been tough. Given that the rest of the hull is 45mm@45 degree, even a side shot would have to be really square on to be sure of penetration, that's not exactly a comfortable performance.

I suspect that would be more due to the issue of HEAT warheads not properly fusing against sloped armor than anything else. I believe that issue wasn't reliably addressed until the mid fifties.

The larger warhead of the 'Super Bazooka' just increased the possibility of penetration at suboptimal fusing.

Soup Inspector posted:

The Challenger 2 is pretty absurdly well armoured; I recall someone either in here or elsewhere noting that post-WWII or thereabouts British armour design prioritised armour and firepower over mobility. Discounting that, I can't tell you off-hand what angle the tank was being attacked from.

Didn't help that they had some pretty bad engines over time *cough* Chieftain *cough*

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

spectralent posted:

In general hilarious stories about loving up tanks would be great.

This is the canonical example of hilarious ways to gently caress up a tank, and as a bonus is the first entry in the textbook for "why armor doesn't operate alone"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AevLyTR6lM&t=65s

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

spectralent posted:

The bit that really made me :psyduck: was the insinuation that bazookas weren't capable of knocking out T-34s in close quarters alone; I would have thought the bazooka had entirely sufficient power to go through side and rear armour and probably even the front hull, since IIRC even the late T-34s only had substantiative armour improvement on the turret front.

I think perhaps what's being described is tanks closing range in an already active combat, which, well, would probably make you try to get the gently caress away because again those things have machineguns on them.

You might technically be able to stand your ground and take them out with improvised weapons but you very probably wouldn't want to try doing that in the moment, psychologically speaking.

Whereas, a bazooka or equivalent AT weapon lets you start shooting at them from a much further range, it gives you much more incentive and drive to try to resist them. If a tank starts trundling up to you spraying gunfire around and you've not got an AT weapon except a big glass grenade full of glue, you might think it best to get the gently caress out of there. If a tank starts trundling up to you and you've got this shiny new rocket launcher that they've told you works real well against tanks and works out to 100 yards, you're probably gonna give it a least a go before you try legging it.

mllaneza posted:

This is the canonical example of hilarious ways to gently caress up a tank, and as a bonus is the first entry in the textbook for "why armor doesn't operate alone"

I love that he does the "I just scored a goal in footy" run after it explodes.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 5, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mllaneza posted:

Why didn't he just Fulton the tank back to Mother Base? Waste of GMP.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

OwlFancier posted:

I think perhaps what's being described is tanks closing range in an already active combat, which, well, would probably make you try to get the gently caress away because again those things have machineguns on them.

You might technically be able to stand your ground and take them out with improvised weapons but you very probably wouldn't want to try doing that in the moment, psychologically speaking.

Whereas, a bazooka or equivalent AT weapon lets you start shooting at them from a much further range, it gives you much more incentive and drive to try to resist them. If a tank starts trundling up to you spraying gunfire around and you've not got an AT weapon except a big glass grenade full of glue, you might think it best to get the gently caress out of there. If a tank starts trundling up to you and you've got this shiny new rocket launcher that they've told you works real well against tanks and works out to 100 yards, you're probably gonna give it a least a go before you try legging it.

I love that he does the "I just scored a goal in footy" run after it explodes.

I'm just amazed that he can run with stones that big. First attempt just blorps out the barrel and doesn't kill it? Go back around again!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

mllaneza posted:

that guy has some pretty big balls

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Though I've always wondered about the video, like the first one appears to be the gun going off, not the grenade (which, incidentally, amazes me that the guy still has ears after being that close) and the second one clearly detonates something in the turret. But a grenade itself shouldn't damage a tank cannon, they're designed to take much bigger explosions.

So, my best guess would be that the first grenade got hit by the shell when they fired and maybe hosed up the gun a bit or something, so they opened the breech to see what happened, then the second one rolled into the turret or the blast went out of the open breech and hit the fuel tank or something.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 5, 2017

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Libluini posted:

I would like to! But that was years ago in one of the older outdated-technology-threads. I have no idea how to find that stuff ever again. :shrug:

Tomorrow will I try finding my sources again for a re-do.

Link the thread here and maybe I can help.

You learn so much new poo poo reading this thread. I hadn't ever heard about Italian jets in WWII, or that VT fuses were used already in WWII. And the EFP IEDs were also new to me. But from now on, could people please write out the alphabet soups or even link to Wikipedia when using less well known abbreviations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proximity_fuze
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosively_formed_penetrator

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Ensign Expendable posted:

You can always bring mallet with you when you climb onto the tank and bash its machineguns until they bend.

An acquintance of mine straight up did this with a fighter plane. She's a peace activist, and figured the best course of action was to infiltrate an air force base, and straight up trying to destroy the planes with a hammer :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Ensign Expendable posted:

You really should have posted that little comic that goes with this story.

Phanatic posted:

They made that up for the film. Axle grease is thick, but it's not especially *sticky*, and it's not going to be able to bond a block of Composition B to a dirty and dusty tank wheel.

The actual 'sticky bomb' was a pretty impractical British anti-tank grenade that was mainly issued to Home Guard units, due mainly to the British sense of humor.

Home Guard weapons are really funny. The other AT grenade was a big can of HE that weighed 5 pounds(!) and could only be thrown 15 yards.