Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Popelmon posted:

I love that there is so much poo poo that you can miss if you don't pay attention. Like the combination for the first safe

Where is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Rinkles posted:

Where is it?

Pay attention to the looking glass scene. The code is on a white board in the recording, but by present day, it's been wiped clean.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

I haven't played the console demo and I'm playing with kb+m on PC, so I dunno about the differences.
Haven't had any problems with the controls though. Other than I wish you could bind more than one button per action and that it was possible to rebind the ability wheel button.

What is the ability wheel bound to? Please don't say middle mouse...

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Actually, I know that the game has just come out but has anyone found any really good or really bad things to spec into? I have been going the hacking/engineering route but some of the stuff seems situational.

The one the gives you extra materials from recycling is good since you should always be recycling. You can find Neuromod Plans later so it should pay for itself over time. Same with Necropsy, it lets you get more materials, same thing.

Hacking is good, I found a broken safe that could only be opened by level 2 Hacking but it had 4 Neuromods in it and it only takes 5 to get to level 2.

Lifting heavy things can be useful but you can sometimes just knock down the bigger blocks with explosions or throwing smaller blocks.

Inventory space is a definite buy.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
How weird/freaky does the game get later? I tried the PS4 demo and it felt like a regular old shooter with a "enemies can hide among surroundings" which seems cool but not cool enough to carry a game, as well as a plot that seems to have shown its hand very heavily from the first (obviously you are an experiment to mix alien DNA with human but the aliens escaped).

I'm trying to remain as unspoiled as possible because people are comparing this to System Shock 2 which might be my favourite game ever and that seems like a huge bar to reach let alone clear.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 5, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

What is the ability wheel bound to? Please don't say middle mouse...

Middle Mouse

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Popelmon posted:

I love that there is so much poo poo that you can miss if you don't pay attention. Like the combination for the first safe and Dr. Calvino's hidden safe.

Where was the combination to that very early first safe? What was in it?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bogart posted:

Pay attention to the looking glass scene. The code is on a white board in the recording, but by present day, it's been wiped clean.

Was that in the demo? I don't remember what you're describing in that place.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Middle Mouse

Rat farts. I prefer rebinding to TAB.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Pwnstar posted:

The one the gives you extra materials from recycling is good since you should always be recycling. You can find Neuromod Plans later so it should pay for itself over time. Same with Necropsy, it lets you get more materials, same thing.

Hacking is good, I found a broken safe that could only be opened by level 2 Hacking but it had 4 Neuromods in it and it only takes 5 to get to level 2.

Lifting heavy things can be useful but you can sometimes just knock down the bigger blocks with explosions or throwing smaller blocks.

Inventory space is a definite buy.

Rock on, I bought Necropsy pretty quickly but it's always hard to tell if those kind of economy upgrades are even going to pay themselves off in these games. Glad to hear that I didn't make a dumb decision.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

here's some dweeboid with some hot (spoilery?) gameplay tips from the pros, brought to you by RED BULL:
https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/prey-tips-guide

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Rinkles posted:

Was that in the demo? I don't remember what you're describing in that place.

Yeah. At least I think we're discussing the same thing. Your office. The message that past Morgan left you, they're in a specific place in time and space -- a place that in current day has a white board that has a code on it wiped off. During Morgan's message, the code is still visible on the board.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Oh there's an infinite resource exploit you can do as well btw, if you just wanna go apeshit all over some alien scum with 5000 shotgun rounds.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
Also if you are in Aus and haven't caught on already. Do not buy this through Steam. Greenman Gaming is selling it for $47.00 compared to Steams price which is around $100.00 after the conversion.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bogart posted:

Yeah. At least I think we're discussing the same thing. Your office. The message that past Morgan left you, they're in a specific place in time and space -- a place that in current day has a white board that has a code on it wiped off. During Morgan's message, the code is still visible on the board.

Oh that message. That's a bit of backtracking (which you can't access in the demo after leaving). Still clever.

E: I might have missed it because I accidentally shattered the glass as the message started

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The neruo upgrades are truly terrifying. Not only do you have to jab yourself in the eyeball with six inch needles, you have to keep it there for FIVE MINUTES.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Don't know if this was related to controller issues, but I hated the hacking mini game.

Although, props to arkane for having a cost associated with failing a hack (if 10 life feels as precious later in the game as it does in the opening hours).

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Popelmon posted:

I love that there is so much poo poo that you can miss if you don't pay attention. Like the combination for the first safe and Dr. Calvino's hidden safe.

how did yuo get into calvino's safe? I know the location from the video and exploring but can't open the panel its behind

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

The Walrus posted:

how did yuo get into calvino's safe? I know the location from the video and exploring but can't open the panel its behind

I'll put this in spoilers so people who want to figure it out can, There's a thermos on a compute on the other side of the room, grab that and put it on the scale next to where the hidden safe is in the video.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i didn't look into this g ame much and bought it on a whim when i saw people mentioning ss2, knowing really nothing about it other than a short trailer. it's really loving good. this feels like the real successor to system shock 2 (bioshock's fine and all but wasn't as deep rpg wise and obviously the aesthetic is different)

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Is the wrench a viable weapon as the game progresses?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

GET MY BELT SON posted:

It's your fallback weapon so kind of. If you have to dump it somewhere they are fairly easy to fabricate.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Is there any way to upgrade the wrench? There are a few skills that increase the damage, would be cool if you could duct tape a steel ball and nails to it to make a ghetto morning star.

Gunder posted:

Where was the combination to that very early first safe? What was in it?

There is a mod for the scope in it and fabrication plans for psi boosters.

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 5, 2017

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Awesome. I hope if you change settings now it remembers them.

Alright i think the problem here was that the .exe wasn't set to run as admin. This also prevented me from deleting saves ingame, as they would reapper next time i booted the game up.

So if anyone else is running into issues with missing configs or savefiles reappearing, just doublecheck the .exe.

Amebx fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 5, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Amebx posted:

Alright i think the problem here was that the .exe wasn't set to run as admin. This also prevented me from deleting saves ingame, as they would reapper next time i booted the game up.

So if anyone else is running into issues with missing configs or savefiles reappearing, just doublecheck the .exe.

Thanks for the update. If anyone else has the same problem please :justpost: and I'll add it to the op!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GET MY BELT SON posted:

Dunno how viable it is but there are a bunch of upgrades related to it.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Why is the music and scary 'enemy is nearby' stuff SO LOUD? It feels like it's notched two or three degrees too high and it's really getting on my nerves.

E: Also, in the Trauma Center in the lobby, I went into the room with the mind-controlled dude and saw the code he scratched on the wall, but I can't get into the office yet. Is the keycard near, or do I need to progress on a bit to find it?

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 5, 2017

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Anyone finished the game yet who could answer a simple yes or no question - if you never install any alien neuromods, does that lead to plot changes later on?

Also, if someone wants some well hidden early neuromods in the lobby: Security station, the desk with the RPG character sheet, briefcase wedged between the left side of the desk and wall

Gunder
May 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/ShawnElliott/status/860511249502658560

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Guitar Hero support confirmed?????

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
My guess it's something like not installing any neuromods, not even regular ones. Then again, that's one of the first things people consider when doing a special run, and it's even in Dishonored 2, so not sure why they think it would take weeks/months.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Maybe a 100% stealth run, if it's even possible.

Or a "environmental kills only"

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 5, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bardeh posted:

Why is the music and scary 'enemy is nearby' stuff SO LOUD? It feels like it's notched two or three degrees too high and it's really getting on my nerves.

Because the person who was in charge of audio balancing doesn't know how to do his job properly.

For real, it's my biggest problem with the game. It annoys me so much.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I like that this game download isn't 60Gb for some reason.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Like I said, it's just being as honest an homage to System Shock 2's music as can be. :colbert:

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Is there a way to rotate objects you've picked up? Maybe it's a tinge of ocd, maybe I've played too much Viscera Cleanup, but I don't like leaving chairs on their back.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Flubby posted:

Is there a way to rotate objects you've picked up? Maybe it's a tinge of ocd, maybe I've played too much Viscera Cleanup, but I don't like leaving chairs on their back.

Just throw a recycling grenade at them. Can't OCD about objects that aren't there anymore!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Jack Trades posted:

Because the person who was in charge of audio balancing doesn't know how to do his job properly.

For real, it's my biggest problem with the game. It annoys me so much.

It's really noticeable, but in a way I don't mind it because otherwise I would constantly be getting jumped from behind by mimics. I'm not going to stop and whack every piece of insignificant debris I come across, so an audible cue that something is about to attack me is helpful.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bogart posted:

Like I said, it's just being as honest an homage to System Shock 2's music as can be. :colbert:

What about the god drat "objective updated" noise? I swear it has startled me more often than mimics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Anyone try running this on an i5-2500k? How does it perform?