Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

qkkl posted:

How important are kills for raising your ELO? My strategy right now is to just run for the next safe zone as soon as it appears and camp in a safe place. This seems to be a consistent way to stay alive while everyone else kills themselves, but obviously I don't get many kills. I managed to win a solo game where my only kill was on the last guy.

It adds to your skill level but not to your win level or however they separate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

qkkl posted:

How important are kills for raising your ELO? My strategy right now is to just run for the next safe zone as soon as it appears and camp in a safe place. This seems to be a consistent way to stay alive while everyone else kills themselves, but obviously I don't get many kills. I managed to win a solo game where my only kill was on the last guy.

Waiiiiit there is a hidden MMR?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

who gives a poo poo about MMR in an early access game where stats will almost certainly be wiped before release?

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It'd be good to know what playstyle is the best for increasing MMR. According to the official website:

"BATTLEGROUNDS features an ELO based ranking system.
Based on your match placement, and number of kills attained
in a match, we calculate your overall ranking. "

So I'm guessing everyone has a single ranking used for matchmaking, I'm just wondering how match placement vs kills are weighed.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just kill - who cares about ranking.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

shoot the mans

punch the dudes

kill the pubbies

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Kills with good guns like the M4 raise your elo, so does wearing trenchcoats

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Vintersorg posted:

Just kill - who cares about ranking.

BUT MY E-PEEN?!?!!?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

can we all agree that Ninja is completely insufferable

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
If the game actually features an elo based matchmaking system in its current state, could that be a reason why (besides lag armor and similar) games on the other servers are so easy- because your stats/elo don't carry over cross servers?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

imho surviving should be more important than killing

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Bohemian Nights posted:

If the game actually features an elo based matchmaking system in its current state, could that be a reason why (besides lag armor and similar) games on the other servers are so easy- because your stats/elo don't carry over cross servers?

That is correct.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

there isn't a loving mmr holy poo poo lmao

goons spreading misinformation.txt

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds: WOULD YOU STOP MAKING poo poo UP GOD loving DAMMI

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Switched to NA for a game. 7 kills and go to top 10 before a guy saw me hiding in a bush. Absolutely no perceptible lag and it didn't feel like I won fights because I was lagging. Why the gently caress is the EU server so bad :stare:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
So if someone were to want a casual, solo shootmans scavenging game, would this be the way to go now rather than King of the Kill?

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

A Tartan Tory posted:

So if someone were to want a casual, solo shootmans scavenging game, would this be the way to go now rather than King of the Kill?

H1Z1 is so last year

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Efexeye posted:

who gives a poo poo about MMR in an early access game where stats will almost certainly be wiped before release?

I do but not in the direction you may first have thought! I like exploring the island, stalking people. My computer sucks so actual firefights are hard.

Getting closer on my pacifist run... 3rd place! Only things I pick up are smoke grenades, body armor, helmet, medical supplies.

A Tartan Tory posted:

This will totally scratch that itch

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

quote:

Wow! Misinformation in a post with a wrong person yelling about misinformation! I'm shocked and surprised, most of all because it comes from noted fact-checker Meyers-Briggs Testicle.

There's at least rudimentary matchmaking. High level players who are playing all the time were getting matched with the same teams over and over (and getting stream sniped if they were streaming). If you're relatively high level in solo it can take 4-5x as long to fill a match as it tries to filter in players it thinks are the right skill level, even at prime time hours.

Efexeye posted:

imho surviving should be more important than killing

It definitely is for the overall. Can't win if you don't survive.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Badfinger posted:

There's at least rudimentary matchmaking.

citation needed

ranked matchmaking is on their list of future additions

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

citation needed

ranked matchmaking is on their list of future additions

Top 100 streamers have had to buy alt accounts because they keep getting half full matches because there is nobody in their skillbracket

checkmate :smuggo:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Top 100 streamers have had to buy alt accounts because they keep getting half full matches because there is nobody in their skillbracket

checkmate :smuggo:

citation needed

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sacriel, Stodeh, Jackfrags, BreaK, dot dot dot

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Getting closer on my pacifist run... 3rd place! Only things I pick up are smoke grenades, body armor, helmet, medical supplies.

i'm sorry but what the gently caress is the point of this?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Playerunknown Battlegrounds: yall need to chill out over video games and just shoot mans

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Sacriel, Stodeh, Jackfrags, BreaK, dot dot dot

that's not a citation dorkus

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

fun?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

What you can't win without shooting someone?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Heh....having fun in games..........noobs

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

lol, just loving lol, if you arent bideo shames mad every time you sit down and play some bideo shames

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Only things I pick up are smoke grenades, body armor, helmet, medical supplies.

Seems like flash bangs could be considered OK for a pacifist run or maybe gray area.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

taqueso posted:

Seems like flash bangs could be considered OK for a pacifist run or maybe gray area.

I'm definitely ok with that but smoking myself is ok whereas flashing myself... not so much. Free yourself from the constraints of guns!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Do not, my friends, become addicted to bullets. They will take hold of you, and you will resent their absence!

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

If you arent prepared to draw out MS Paint diagrams to back up ur theorycrafting there's the door

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

that's not a citation dorkus

Someone draw this guy a MS paint.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
We should have a goon tournament so I can own the gently caress out of all you

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Ill kick your rear end bitch

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

goon tourney rule 1: dont be a beta bitch hiding the entire match. Everyone drops together and shoots each other

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
I really hate skill based matchmaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

If someone has the ability to host a custom match,aka they are a streaming partner, we could probably have one.

• Locked thread