Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Gorewar posted:

I just purchased this cabinet:

It's a jcm800 cab from 1988. It's my first "real" cabinet and it sounds fantastic with the 5150 I'm using that is also pictured, the most epic of metal crunch tones.
That half-stack says "I've seen poo poo, and I will loving cut you." I bet it sounds amazing and wow what a great road-worn look. That's gear I'd have if I owned an underground concrete bunker on 2 acres of land.

Shiroc posted:

I decided to get the last thing I wanted for my Clapton guitar collection, the Custom Shop Strat.

It's real nice
I know that it's very nice! I have a friend who bought one of these brand new and I when I met it and played it I was, for a change, absolutely impressed buy how amazing a Fender could be. I didn't really know what to expect when I played it, except the guitar was just so precisely "so." Congrats, I hope you cherish it and PLAY it!

I have a minor update (and since I don't do "minor" well), I took pics (but these are cell-phone pics so they're not great):

I put the Mullard 12AX7 tubes in the new ART mic-pre. That was easy and un-eventful, so I moved on:

I looked online and did some actual maintenance on that Behringer Ultragain Pro mic-pre. Cleaned some pots, changed a tube. I expect it's still crap but I also expect it still works if I need it (I shouldn't.)

So, painfully, my old guitar rack is now a recording rack (my needs are simple):

I got my new Marshall MXL R144HE Mic. I'm going to try it Sunday. I can't wait!

Little MXL mic group-pic:

Serious question:
I intend to mic up the Blues Jr. on Sunday. I will try the R144 as the main cab mic. I'd like to pair it with something else. Should I use the SM57, the EV357B, or the MXL 2008 condenser? I am leaning towards one of the regular dynamic mics but maybe the 2008 would be cool. Placed off at a distance, mixed in? I have no experience with these new mics.

I think I have more questions. I am aware that I do not know what I do not know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

Serious question:
I intend to mic up the Blues Jr. on Sunday. I will try the R144 as the main cab mic. I'd like to pair it with something else. Should I use the SM57, the EV357B, or the MXL 2008 condenser? I am leaning towards one of the regular dynamic mics but maybe the 2008 would be cool. Placed off at a distance, mixed in? I have no experience with these new mics.

I think I have more questions. I am aware that I do not know what I do not know.

You're gonna have to "socket and see" as they say in the fuzz game. Try them all and see which one you like. Send the same loop through the amp each time. Post results.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Jjj6oI5fg&t=6s

E: I'm not re-amping and sending loops to the amp. I have to play each piece and hope it's not terrible (yeah, I know it's bad.) So what I am saying is changing the mic setup is a LONG process.

It's not worth wasting time on me. I'm stupid.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 5, 2017

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Shiroc posted:

I decided to get the last thing I wanted for my Clapton guitar collection, the Custom Shop Strat.

It's real nice

Holy poo poo dude.

That is nice.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Shiroc posted:

It's real nice

Beautiful guitar! Those are real treasures.

I got to play the real original Blackie once.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Did you take a peek inside?

Yes. It's got GT12T-75s inside.

Dr. Faustus posted:

That half-stack says "I've seen poo poo, and I will loving cut you." I bet it sounds amazing and wow what a great road-worn look. That's gear I'd have if I owned an underground concrete bunker on 2 acres of land.

Haha, thanks. Perfect for black metal then.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gorewar posted:

Yes. It's got GT12T-75s inside.

Hmm wonder how you'll like them versus the vintage 30s.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

AstroZamboni posted:

I got to play the real original Blackie once.

How did you get that opportunity? I finally got to see it in real life in March because it was just at the Guitar Center in Times Square, along with the Crossroads 335.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Back in the early to mid nineties my dad was the head of the SUNN amplifiers division at Fender corporate HQ in Scottsdale. He took me to work with him occasionally and I got to see and handle some really cool poo poo.

I still have some neat souvenirs from that time. I have a prototype children's short scale telecaster with built-in practice amp and a speaker on the pickguard that never saw production. Only three were made. One was destroyed in a fire, the other one is in Dolly Parton's museum.

I also have a circa-1995 '63 reissue Vibroverb. Serial number 1.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shiroc posted:

It's real nice
I recently sold my own Strat (only difference is that I'm lefty). It had barely gotten any use in the past year (I recorded exactly 2 songs with it a little after I got the Mesa Express Plus) . Figured another lefty must need it more than I. And while my Larrivée and Schecter are basically all I use nowadays for my 6-string shenanigans, I have to admit that nothing came to sound as sweet straight-up clean as that Strat did. Seeing this beaut you have right here kinda dragged all those memories back.

I bet yours sounds like a goddamn wet dream. :allears:

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

AstroZamboni posted:

Back in the early to mid nineties my dad was the head of the SUNN amplifiers division at Fender corporate HQ in Scottsdale. He took me to work with him occasionally and I got to see and handle some really cool poo poo.

I still have some neat souvenirs from that time. I have a prototype children's short scale telecaster with built-in practice amp and a speaker on the pickguard that never saw production. Only three were made. One was destroyed in a fire, the other one is in Dolly Parton's museum.

I also have a circa-1995 '63 reissue Vibroverb. Serial number 1.

Holy poo poo I want pictures of those immediately. The short scale tele sounds great.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I'll try to post a couple pics tonight.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Wark Say posted:

I bet yours sounds like a goddamn wet dream. :allears:

Yeah, it sounds amazing, It has really great conventional Strat sounds, then the TBX and midboost let you do all sorts of other things. I'm still figuring out everything I can do with it paired with my Clapton amp.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Noise Machine posted:

Holy poo poo I want pictures of those immediately. The short scale tele sounds great.

Here's the pics.

This is the '63 reissue prototype. Absolutely phenomenal amp that gets used on the regular.

This is the mini tele prototype. Scale length is only 19". Not in playable condition, I'm afraid.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
That Tele seems like it belongs to the 60s-70s if it was normal student length size, not the 90s. I guess that could be why it never came out.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

It wasn't made in the nineties and was on the old side when it made its way into my hands. The actual age is a matter of some debate and some of the specifics of the history are unknown to me.

Still, dammed interesting conversation piece.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Did someone say something about Chinese guitars? I just got this from AliExpress, for not a whole lot of money. I wasn't expecting much, but it's actually a hoot. It turns out there are a lot more notes up there on the neck that I wasn't aware of. Also the body does seem to be a single chunk of wood, not laminated. I plan to leisurely replace parts, but it's no worse than the Chinese Hamer I bought for a lot more when I was dumb(er).

I have no idea what they were thinking with the white pickguard and black/gold everything else though. Going to change that ASAP.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Tad Naff posted:

Did someone say something about Chinese guitars? I just got this from AliExpress, for not a whole lot of money. I wasn't expecting much, but it's actually a hoot. It turns out there are a lot more notes up there on the neck that I wasn't aware of. Also the body does seem to be a single chunk of wood, not laminated. I plan to leisurely replace parts, but it's no worse than the Chinese Hamer I bought for a lot more when I was dumb(er).

I have no idea what they were thinking with the white pickguard and black/gold everything else though. Going to change that ASAP.

the guitar

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
No worries, I look pretty much like that. It's a package.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

It was only 50 cents, and good for kitschy type stuff

Gotta love this...

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Tad Naff posted:

No worries, I look pretty much like that. It's a package.

Hey man that poo poo is boss fuckin' hogg, brother. Fuckin' ay, I'm with you!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Tad Naff posted:

Maybe they only had white pickguard because that seems like a no brainer. How is the fretwork?

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

rio posted:

Maybe they only had white pickguard because that seems like a no brainer. How is the fretwork?

Nothing to complain about actually, no buzz and no rough spots. One knob is a little wobbly but I'll check that out when I take it apart a little.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ChocNitty posted:

Gotta love this...

I had one of those in college, the organ sound was cheesy, but it was mean-sounding for a two-dollar hunk of plastic. I can't remember if it had a headphone out jack, one of those keyboards like that, we ran into my buddy's overdrive pedal and guitar amp, it was great.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

"And I think if I were a millionaire I could hook that up, too; 'cause chicks dig dudes with guitars."

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

Gotta love this...

I had one of these when I was a kid, the demo is Greensleaves if I remember correctly.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If I have a Left-handed "Franken"-Jazzmaster-style guitar with tuning problems, what measurements should I take to make sure that I'm buying the proper Mastery bridge? Or what else should I take into account before dropping fat stacks of cash into something which might not help in the long run? Guitar sounds friggin' sweet but every time I try to tune it, aside from the two E strings and the A string, I always end up tuning the D, G and B strings a bit flatter so that when I actually fret with my right hand, it's not too sharp / out of tune in comparison.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 9, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

So here's my recentish pedal acquisitions all in one photo. The '85 MIJ HM2 smells like it looks.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Congrats on the doomboard

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Wark Say posted:

If I have a Left-handed "Franken"-Jazzmaster-style guitar with tuning problems, what measurements should I take to make sure that I'm buying the proper Mastery bridge? Or what else should I take into account before dropping fat stacks of cash into something which might not help in the long run? Guitar sounds friggin' sweet but every time I try to tune it, aside from the two E strings and the A string, I always end up tuning the D, G and B strings a bit flatter so that when I actually fret with my right hand, it's not too sharp / out of tune in comparison.

The two models differ based on which thimbles are used. The Jap and USA ones have different internal diameters.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

So here's my recentish pedal acquisitions all in one photo. The '85 MIJ HM2 smells like it looks.

Holy poo poo! :swoon:

Sockington posted:

The two models differ based on which thimbles are used. The Jap and USA ones have different internal diameters.
I'm sorry, but it's the first time rocking a Jazzmaster-style guitar. Can you break this down for me in a cliff's notes kind of way? :(

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

https://masterybridge.com/product/mt-set-of-2-solid-stainless-steel-thimbles/

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

Congrats on the doomboard

Thanks bro! Not pictured: the Lone Wolf FX Unit 731 (Harmonic Percolator) because Joe is slow and cranky.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I went to Guitar Center with my L5 to see how the new Mustang GT amps sound. I expected that I might impulse buy a GT40 if they sounded good because I am a gear addict (this is my 7th amp and I have 13 guitars and basses and in my mind this is still nowhere near enough) and all of those amp models to play with is good times for me. Well, yes, it did sound good. But I left with a GT100 instead because it sounded so good that, even though I have more expensive "better" amps, I am expecting to actually gig with this because some of the models are really good. The app you can use to control it is also well thought out and simple to use which was a surprise - you just connect to the amp with Bluetooth and you can dial in all of the settings though the amp even though there are still physical knobs on the amp. You can even set tube bias and sag - there is an absurd amount of detail. I play jazz mostly and there are 7 or 8 good amps for that, which I didn't expect, and when I get called for other kinds of music I am definitely going to bring this and leave my pedals at home most likely. Only down side is that I will need to get their foot switch and expression pedal to really be able to access those effects in a professional setting but for the time being, just loving around at home, it is not really needed except that you can't access the looper without the pedal.

So I thought I would share since I am really pleased with it but also as a heads up that they really did it right with this guy and I guess we are far enough into the future that amp simulations aren't poo poo anymore. Granted, I haven't tried anything newer than 4-5 years old because I had been so unimpressed by the amp modeling things that I have tried in the past, and I don't know EXACTLY how exact the simulations are (since my only Fender experience has been owning a vintage Twin Reverb although I have played through other ones) it it doesn't really matter since they sound good and that is all I care about.

Fake edit: oh, it is also loving LIGHT. About 20 lbs for the 100 watt one...I almost threw the thing over my head the first time I picked it up because I was expecting the weight that one would associate with a 100 watt amp and Fender amps this size.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I've been building slowly to finish my demos and start amp mods on the Blues Jr.
I'm starting to get somewhere with the recording side of it. Here is a little teaser of a thing I did with the Fulltone MDV-3 and my new mics/preamp setup. YouTube taught me the chords I didn't know.

Sounds like I need to clean that scratchy volume pot. Recorded with no EQ, no normalization on the rendered file. Just the guitar > MDV-3 > stock Blues Jr. Mics into the preamp and from there to Reaper via a crappy Lexicon Lambda interface (pictured) with a lush reverb plugin in Reaper. Ribbon mic panned hard right, condenser hard left.

The gear in this clip, showing the settings:

The new mics and mic-pre are making this a lot more fun. I have some reference monitors picked out, I hope I can get them later this month or next.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

rio posted:

I went to Guitar Center with my L5 to see how the new Mustang GT amps sound.

Oh man. It figures I bought a Mustang right before the new version dropped. Looks like a pretty substantial upgrade featureswise. I'm curious how different the modeling is.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I've heard nothing but good things about those GTs in the past couple weeks. Need a new practice amp, think I'm going to pick up a 40W and preorder a footswitch this weekend.

I would like to have the XLRs and FX send/return but the 100W seems like massive overkill for my home office/"studio" so hopefully I won't miss them too much. Really hope the footswitch ships soon too (Google suggests it's only a week or two from shipping).

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Thanks bro! Not pictured: the Lone Wolf FX Unit 731 (Harmonic Percolator) because Joe is slow and cranky.

Nice! I'm always bummed when I see that kind of setup because I haven't been into sludge/doom for a while now. The gear is so fun and satisfying to slam into my Orange by way of downtuned SG but that's just not my thing right now. Because I'm lame and bad.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

G&L SB-2 Tribute. I wanted a P bass, and I wanted something a bit less expensive to use as a gigging bass, so here it is. It needs pickup adjustment, as the bridge pickup is not nearly loud enough to bring clarity to that PHAT neck pickup. I also hate the feel of roundwounds, but I don't want to darken the tone too much since it's already so darn thick... maybe La Bella white tapes, or ground strings, or maybe I'll go with flats and say to hell with clarity.

Also I got two Eminence Kappalite 3012LF drivers for my big cab to replace the Basslites. Cab power handling will increase from 300 to 900 watts RMS and double the voltage handling, which should give a solid +6dB output increase. Now to start saving for that 800W head...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My stable suffers from a complete lack of G&L guitars. I played a G&L Strat-style many years ago. I don't know the model, but it may be the nicest sounding "Strat" I've ever played. One of the best-looking, too.

Man, that bass is gorgeous. I love the color, and the bridge looks amazing. I need new pickups for my Spector Legend 5. I hate the bridge pickup (it has some set of EMGs in it and it sounds thin and, it kinda honks or something. The neck pickup is ok.) What should I put in there? I'd like to be able to "cover all the bases" because it's my only nice bass guitar. It's one of those bigger bridge pickups. A friend tells me it's a single-coil with a dummy coil in there for hum-bucking.

Very nice bass, CF. I'm not a fan of roundwounds myself, but I tend to prefer really bright bass sounds (and that's when I'm not doing the Doug Pinnick/Billy Sheehan dual-sound "wasps-in-a-paper-bag" thing.)