Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Neurosis posted:

i didn't look into this g ame much and bought it on a whim when i saw people mentioning ss2, knowing really nothing about it other than a short trailer. it's really loving good. this feels like the real successor to system shock 2 (bioshock's fine and all but wasn't as deep rpg wise and obviously the aesthetic is different)
Soon as I saw the Typhon drop skill-locked organs I was like "yep this is the game for me".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
is the blue mouse cursor supposed to be on screen at all times? It's kind of distracting flying around all over the place.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Digirat posted:

Anyone try running this on an i5-2500k? How does it perform?
Quite well so far.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I would like to know how getting some neural remapping allows me to pick up refridgerators.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Flubby posted:

is the blue mouse cursor supposed to be on screen at all times? It's kind of distracting flying around all over the place.

No, only in the menus for me.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Bardeh posted:

No, only in the menus for me.

Yeah, I didn't think so. Weird bug.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I would like to know how getting some neural remapping allows me to pick up refridgerators.

Science. :science:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

This is how a lot of early strength gains happen when you start weight lifting!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You learn to lift with your legs and not your brain.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I've been collecting all the junk around the level and piling it up to get the most efficient Recycler Grenades.
Someone please make me stop and actually play the drat game.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
im really enjoying it so far. I got to experience the intro for myself and that was fantastic.

also, I did that crafting glitch so now I don't have to pick up every crumpled paper and banana peel.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So does anyone have any combat and exploration advice?
I'm trying to meticulously sweep every area for plot details, items, resources and I swear I think I'm missing out on a lot.
Sometimes I can find shortcuts like in the opening level where I was able to jump puzzle my way to the control rooms.
I also stumbled my into some areas and found items way ahead of what I think was the intended time to find them.

For example in fabrication there was this huge monster I couldn't defeat until I spammed it with recyclers.

What are some optimal combat strategies? I find sneaking to be difficult with these aliens. My main strategy involves using the shotgun or the goo gun to freeze and wrench everything. The stun gun doesn't give me enough time to react to surprise attacks from mimic groups.
The 9mm pistol seems completely useless.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Can someone explain recycler grenades better to me? I really don't get their purpose. Are they meant to fight monsters or just turn collectibles into recyclable material so I don't have to make a trip to the recycler?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm Gloo + Wrench so far just because mineral material is at a premium so I can't make much ammo. You eventually get upgrades that make stealth a lot easier.

Flubby posted:

I'm getting this too.

fadam fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 5, 2017

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

The final combat focus upgrade makes combat comically easy. On hard, (saving nightmare for next playthrough) I was able to kill a group of two phantoms and one voltiac phantom plus a smattering of mimics without taking damage.

Knifegrab posted:

Can someone explain recycler grenades better to me? I really don't get their purpose. Are they meant to fight monsters or just turn collectibles into recyclable material so I don't have to make a trip to the recycler?

Both. I mainly use them to recycle barriers I can't lift though.

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 5, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
I guess this should be in spoilers to not give away the beginning, so Arkane has really nailed the "2d surface projecting 3d environment" thing. I'm wondering if they used the same code to make the projection windows that they used for the "Crack in the Slab" level of Dishonored 2. It was really cool there as well and probably the most fun level of the game.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
thoughts on the default keybinding for PC?

I keep pressing Ctrl to crouch and RMB for zoom (no ADS?)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Is there a trick to shotguns? It feels like I can land a solid meatshot on some of the big ghosties and sometimes it's two damage and sometimes it's twenty five.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Normally I'd call this PR posturing, but Arkane is so good at making their games reactive to player action that I'm super curious what he's referencing here.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Digirat posted:

Anyone try running this on an i5-2500k? How does it perform?

Yo. with a 970. Got no problems at all.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Skippy McPants posted:

Normally I'd call this PR posturing, but Arkane is so good at making their games reactive to player action that I'm super curious what he's referencing here.
Mimicking mimics and waltzing through the whole game?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

thebardyspoon posted:

I'll put this in spoilers so people who want to figure it out can, There's a thermos on a compute on the other side of the room, grab that and put it on the scale next to where the hidden safe is in the video.

Oooooh, thanks. Should have put that together. Thought the note I saw on that was referencing him trying to prove his coffee cup wasn't mimiced, not that. lol.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
this game is a joy by the way. it's a bit shameless in its inspirations but I'm so happy to see a game with real complex systems again. i really hope it's a success.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The Walrus posted:

this game is a joy by the way. it's a bit shameless in its inspirations but I'm so happy to see a game with real complex systems again. i really hope it's a success.

It really is. I played DH2, then SS2, then this so I'm existing in a naive bubble where they are all like this right now. I recommend it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Also I want to give serious love to the game's setting, yes sure it's 'on a space station' but it may be the best realized space station in any game ever. Everything makes sense and has a place, the layout of the ship is fully realized and explorable, the detail of the environments themselves, etc, etc, really really well done.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Man gently caress VR, I want a looking glass room.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Always Wrench Looking Glass

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

fadam posted:

I'm getting this too.

I'm sure they'll patch it up, luckily a game restart seems to fix it. Restart as in to desktop, not menu.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Shawn Elliot is usually a "no bullshit" sort of guy.

(Edit is not quote)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 5, 2017

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

The Walrus posted:

Always Wrench Looking Glass

I guess you should expand this to Always Wrench Everything, because I've discovered a few spots that were Looking Glasses when I didn't expect them to be.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
is the Nightmare dynamic system still in the game as per the OP? just ran into a Nightmare and it doesn't really seem like it is.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

If anyone knows, can someone spoil how to find Josh Dalton? The game lets you get annoyingly close to his body in GUTS but it SEEMS inaccessible.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Gonna buy this motherfucker tonight.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The Walrus posted:

is the Nightmare dynamic system still in the game as per the OP? just ran into a Nightmare and it doesn't really seem like it is.

I certainly hope so, I was pissed when I found out I skipped all the portals in Bioshock Infinite because not opening them was supposed give you the good ending.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
My encounters with the nightmare so far was when I first went to the bridge and noped the gently caress outta there when I saw him - he was just chilling there when I loaded in though and hadn't noticed me. The second encounter was when I went to the crew quarters and he was chilling out there too, decided he needed to die, so I got killed like 20 times before I finally managed to down him.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Are the tape computers just an aesthetic choice? A bit of retro futurism? It could've been somewhat more reflected in the in-world UI design. I'm guessing the lack of miniaturization (in some things, but not others) is explained somewhere?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ymgve posted:

My encounters with the nightmare so far was when I first went to the bridge and noped the gently caress outta there when I saw him - he was just chilling there when I loaded in though and hadn't noticed me. The second encounter was when I went to the crew quarters and he was chilling out there too, decided he needed to die, so I got killed like 20 times before I finally managed to down him.

I found him in the same place you did initially and killed him there. hes really not that hard if you use the combat slowdown and shotgun him close up. Nemesis this guy is not.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

Are the tape computers just an aesthetic choice? A bit of retro futurism? It could've been somewhat more reflected in the in-world UI design. I'm guessing the lack of miniaturization is explained somewhere?

it's part of the environmental design, it's a retrofitted 70s satellite. probably cant introduce a bunch of 2 ton tape decks into near earth orbit and it'd be too expensive to send down to earth.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Walrus posted:

it's part of the environmental design, it's a retrofitted 70s satellite. probably cant introduce a bunch of 2 ton tape decks into near earth orbit and it'd be too expensive to send down to earth.

I'd think you could when you're renovating the place from head to toe. But that makes more sense, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Anyone know why my pistol says Firepower : 7 (Unmodified 8)? I haven't put any mods into it at all so you'd think the current and unmodified damage would be the same. Same goes for my shotgun.