Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

Because literally nobody wants him there? I mean, I have him on ignore for a reason, as does half of TG.

Also the "two discords" thing has the incredibly mundane explanation of "created at roughly the same time because neither of us are mind readers" so sorry to quash all the drama.

Actually I made mine first and then a couple weeks later you popped up with yours when we were talking about Discord in the chat thread. Why you did that, I don't know, but you did try to make another one in response to mine for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Well I do want myself.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
This has brought to my attention that there's not a link to my Discord in this thread though, so here you go: https://discord.gg/qFMBQ8a

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
There is some humor to get out of:

"Sorry to squash all the drama, but this was all a harmless misunderstanding"

*Drama immediately begins as the other asserts it wasn't a misunderstanding*

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

There is some humor to get out of:

"Sorry to squash all the drama, but this was all a harmless misunderstanding"

*Drama immediately begins as the other asserts it wasn't a misunderstanding*

https://twitter.com/JussiMarttila/status/860416107932512256

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone else getting tired of Telltale games? It seems like their puzzles have gotten weaksauce since Sam & Max and the "choices" feel more and more irrelevant to the main plot. Walking Dead was amazing, don't get me wrong, but their reliance on that formula has made it show its cracks.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I realized the same in 2013 Covok

Covok
May 27, 2013

Plutonis posted:

I realized the same in 2013 Covok

I haven't played Telltale since Walking Dead so its been off my mind. Then, I saw an ad for Guardian of the Galaxy Telltale and just went "really?"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's because that format of game can be applied to just about anything because its just a CYOA.

like, A Serbian Film: The Telltale Game, or Threads: A Telltale Game

Covok
May 27, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's because that format of game can be applied to just about anything because its just a CYOA.

like, A Serbian Film: The Telltale Game, or Threads: A Telltale Game

The Handmaiden's Tale: The Telltale Game :barf:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok posted:

I haven't played Telltale since Walking Dead so its been off my mind. Then, I saw an ad for Guardian of the Galaxy Telltale and just went "really?"

Their 2009 Monkey Island was really bad and unfunny compared to the classic originals but I think it was after I played the first chapter of the Game of Thrones one (which I knew would be a stinker but still bought it) I gave up on those games

Covok
May 27, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Their 2009 Monkey Island was really bad and unfunny compared to the classic originals but I think it was after I played the first chapter of the Game of Thrones one (which I knew would be a stinker but still bought it) I gave up on those games

Wasn't that literally just a remake of Monkey Island or did they make a sequel?

Also, how can you do a GoT telltale game?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Covok posted:

Monkey Island was a sequel.

The GoT game had you playing some minor family that didn't exist in the source material.

Telltale hasn't updated their engine in forever and their best writers went off to make Firewatch. The Borderlands game they made was surprisingly alright though, better than the actual Borderlands games have been since the first one.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Covok posted:

You're thinking of the Special Edition. Tales of Monkey Island is a sequel made by Telltale.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srkr6EV1404

Life is beautiful.

Covok
May 27, 2013

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Monkey Island was a sequel.

The GoT game had you playing some minor family that didn't exist in the source material.

Telltale hasn't updated their engine in forever and their best writers went off to make Firewatch. The Borderlands game they made was surprisingly alright though, better than the actual Borderlands games have been since the first one.

Firewatch was the adventure game where you were the depressed, divorced park ranger who lost his wife due to his inability to properly care for her mental degradation, no?

How did they deal with the fact that Borderlands is a "shoot-shoot, think later, I have the shiniest meat bicycle" game?

Red Metal posted:

You're thinking of the Special Edition. Tales of Monkey Island is a sequel made by Telltale.

Ah, that makes sense then.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah they actually got the Borderlands humor style correct, which isn't something you usually see in cases like those.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Woah, wait, what? How? This...I don't know. What? I love Deadly Premonition, but what? How?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The Borderlands game they made was surprisingly alright though, better than the actual Borderlands games have been since the first one

Talk about damning with faint praise lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tales From The Borderlands is Telltale's best game, and this is from someone who's never played the main series.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I would have to strongly disagree with the idea that Telltale's Walking Dead was "amazing". The writing was hamfisted at best, and practically all of the "your choices matter" and "X character will remember this" stuff was just complete dishonest horseshit.

The Strong Bad ones were good solely because of the humor.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Scyther posted:

I would have to strongly disagree with the idea that Telltale's Walking Dead was "amazing". The writing was hamfisted at best, and practically all of the "your choices matter" and "X character will remember this" stuff was just complete dishonest horseshit.

This.

The sequel was miles better, if only by virtue that you're playing a little girl nobody listens to, so of course none of your decisions matter much.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Okay, so just looked up Tales of Monkey Island and it looks like it was made in 1996, graphics-wise. Those are some awful 3-D graphics. This company is hyper successful?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok posted:

Okay, so just looked up Tales of Monkey Island and it looks like it was made in 1996, graphics-wise. Those are some awful 3-D graphics. This company is hyper successful?

I told ya man. Freaking Monkey Island 3 which was made a decades before it looks better!

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I guess Telltale were just in the right place at the right time to hit the audience of "people who want new point & click adventure games" that wasn't being serviced by the market at the time

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Telltale's Walking Dead was the one where they have a kid character who isn't handling the apocalypse very well and eventually you just leave her to be killed and the game frames it as being a good thing because she was too weak, and the devs laughed about it in interviews.

I guess what I'm saying here is that zombie apocalypse fiction is all horseshit.

edit: also Telltale

Fuego Fish fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 5, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I need to go back and grab those Telltale Law & Order games. Completely forgot those were a thing until recently.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Arivia posted:

I need to go back and grab those Telltale Law & Order games. Completely forgot those were a thing until recently.

Oh my God, are you loving serious?

What hasn't telltale thrown their name on yet? Is there a loving Telltale Jurassic Park I haven't heard of? A goddamn Telltale Minecraft? Are they going to do a Batman one too? How many loving licenses did they buy?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Scyther posted:

I guess Telltale were just in the right place at the right time to hit the audience of "people who want new point & click adventure games" that wasn't being serviced by the market at the time

Pretty much, a lot of their early stuff is honestly terrible but people still bought them because of the licenses and because they were doing 'professional' point & click adventure games when every major developer had given up on the genre.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Just play Ace Attorney or visual novels instead. Christ.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Covok posted:

Oh my God, are you loving serious?

What hasn't telltale thrown their name on yet? Is there a loving Telltale Jurassic Park I haven't heard of? A goddamn Telltale Minecraft? Are they going to do a Batman one too? How many loving licenses did they buy?

They've done all of those, so... (I assume :thejoke:)

Covok
May 27, 2013

senrath posted:

They've done all of those, so... (I assume :thejoke:)

Yeah, that's the joke. Went to Wikipedia to check. JFC, they got a lot of these.

Also, skippygronola's LP of the Minecraft one just makes me wonder "why?"

I want to be a fly on the wall at that meeting:

"Let's take a game with no story and all about building stuff and make it into a game that is all story with little to no player interaction."

Well, at least the latest King's Quest was good (so far, don't spoil: still got a few episodes to go).

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Please, you know the meeting was entirely "This Minecraft thing is really popular, how do we get a slice of that pie?"

Covok
May 27, 2013

senrath posted:

Please, you know the meeting was entirely "This Minecraft thing is really popular, how do we get a slice of that pie?"

Yeah, you're probably right.

"Minecraft print money. Print more. More! Right in my face! Make a mess of me with the money!"

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
The Best Friends did an LP of "Batman: A Telltale Series" and I got tired of that poo poo after like 12/16 episodes
(Which, perhaps tellingly, means that the game is 8 hours long)

From the first few episodes, I basically summed it up as "they're trying to tell the basic Dark Knight Trilogy story, just in the setting of the Gotham TV show, but with Batman being around (albeit new on the scene)" and then the wheels start to really fall off, from there.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I thought the new Monkey Island game was funny. :(

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
That's disappointing given that Gotham is the best DC TV show.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I must disagree with you. Gotham is probably the worst airing DC show. Lucifer is much better and nobody is allowed to say bad things about Supergirl in my presence :colbert:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The Batman Telltale was great. It changed core elements to reinvigorate the story. Good action too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I liked the Fables game, it was good to see a solid story in that setting that Bill Willingham didn't have the chance to poop all over.

• Locked thread