Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So how awful is the LG G6? My Nexus 6 is getting pretty fickle about taking a charge, and T-Mo's deal where $24/mo + tablet dataplan gets you a LG G6, Google Home, and LG G-Pad tablet. Already got a Home so I'd just turf that for another $80 off the whole mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

IOwnCalculus posted:

So how awful is the LG G6? My Nexus 6 is getting pretty fickle about taking a charge, and T-Mo's deal where $24/mo + tablet dataplan gets you a LG G6, Google Home, and LG G-Pad tablet. Already got a Home so I'd just turf that for another $80 off the whole mess.
It's actually a good phone with an excellent camera, but LG has had hardware issues recently which can take a year or more to manifest. So you could have a dead phone with no warranty before you've even finished paying for it.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Not just that, but they're taking $150 off the device cost right now, so it's $20/24mo. But like Syrinxx said, hardware issues may or may not occur after a year.

fartzone_42069 posted:

Wow. I didn't have to jackshit besides plug it in and set a password. Times have changed! Thank you for your recommendation!

Now here's something wild. We're 50down/10up. I got about 80 when direct connecting (for a control). I poo poo you not, I'm getting 200+ down wirelessly with this router. I'm definitely not complaining but I asked how this was possible in the networking thread I was linked to. (Thanks for that too but the way!)

Anyway, a problem super duper solved beyond my wildest expectations! Phone WiFi on fleek now! Thank y'all so much. :)

Glad it seems to be working for you.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 4, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't know anything about that deal, but pretty much any modern-ish flagship is going to be fine-ish.

When we fight about smartphones and say such and such phone is poo poo, generally, we mean relative to other choices. They're mostly all amazing compared to not having one or having a Windows Mobile device from 10 years ago.

People usually miss this subtlety when they're DYP'ing their device.

edit: Oh, I forgot the most important part. LG has been having lots of problems with their phones basically becoming unusable. So, if you're getting the phone for a low enough price or if you're confident in T-Mobile replacing it or some combination of those factors than the above all holds.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 5, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't buy Lucky Goldstar telephones

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Literal Garbage

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Just got my Nexus 6P back from an under warranty battery replacement. They ended up changing the screen, casing and glass over the camera too so I'm guessing either they just have me a refurb or really messed up taking it apart.

Will be interesting to see how long the new battery lasts, by the end I was down to 2.5 hours screen on time (by the time it shutdown between 15 and 30%)

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Anyone know a way to screencast multiple Android phones onto a chromecast or similar simultaneously? Ideally I want the screens of three separate Android phones up on a projector without having to buy a video mixer.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Anyone know a way to screencast multiple Android phones onto a chromecast or similar simultaneously? Ideally I want the screens of three separate Android phones up on a projector without having to buy a video mixer.
If you can use a computer for it you can use Vysor. This also let's you control them directly from the computer. The quality is not great on the free version but it's workable, and it isn't too expensive to unlock the full version anyway.

We use it for our app demos at work.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 5, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

You'd really have to be willing to roll the dice to get an LG at this point but if you do, remember to keep an eye on the class action suit that will inevitably follow. Last time I bought an LG, I got $60 for my trouble (nowhere near worth it).

Thermopyle posted:

So, if you're getting the phone for a low enough price or if you're confident in T-Mobile replacing it or some combination of those factors than the above all holds.

T-Mobile's warranty thing is usually pretty generous but I think you have pay for it. My buddy has it and probably went through ten Nexus 4s until they eventually ran out about a year ago. I couldn't believe how much they put up with.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://twitter.com/Androidheadline/status/860453387992612865

flyme

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
lmao OnePlus "confirms" to The Verge that the OnePlus 5 will be out this summer. It will include 8gb of memory.

It's like they know they're a loving joke.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

lmao OnePlus "confirms" to The Verge that the OnePlus 5 will be out this summer. It will include 8gb of memory.

Reddit is going to loving love that

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bigger numbers = better than

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
OnePlus 4???

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

better rev up them spec sheets

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

These basement smaug phones need truckloads of RAM to make up for the fact that their OS implementation is unoptimized and the skin they slap over it uses needlessly massive images for icons everywhere.

That doesn't even get to the :tinfoil: likelihood of user data being covertly transmitted to an unidentified third party at all times so the background process is a constant nag on resources.

How much RAM does the Pixel XL have again? Oh right, 4GB and it's still a world-beater six, seven months into its lifetime.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

OnePlus 4x2

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I can't wait til Google partners with OnePlus to manufacture the Pixel 3.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lmao if your phone can't render video in Adobe Premiere

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

docbeard posted:

That would actually be a good idea since Google was able to work with HTC and help them make a good phone.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Let's also not forget that one of the founders of OnePlus claimed that the aggressive memory management in the OP3 was due to battery saving measures and the 6gb benefits the camera and others modules. Whatever that means. He said that 6gb was new to Android so there was "still lots to explore" and the team is "optimizing for further enhancements". Eventually someone on XDA had found a fix and the next month there was amazingly an official update put out by Oxygen OS. How surprising!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

And they're still gonna gently caress it up

Let's also not forget that one of the founders of OnePlus claimed that the aggressive memory management in the OP3 was due to battery saving measures and the 6gb benefits the camera and others modules.

Probably like this!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Why the h*ck does a phone need 8GB of ram?!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I don't know anything about that deal, but pretty much any modern-ish flagship is going to be fine-ish.

When we fight about smartphones and say such and such phone is poo poo, generally, we mean relative to other choices. They're mostly all amazing compared to not having one or having a Windows Mobile device from 10 years ago.

People usually miss this subtlety when they're DYP'ing their device.

edit: Oh, I forgot the most important part. LG has been having lots of problems with their phones basically becoming unusable. So, if you're getting the phone for a low enough price or if you're confident in T-Mobile replacing it or some combination of those factors than the above all holds.

Oh, yeah, I get that they're all in the category of "good enough". Mostly just debating if I want to roll the dice on LG's reliability, and the more I think about it, I'm not liking it.

If the G5 Plus had a bigger screen, I'd probably just buy one of those and be done with it.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Why the h*ck does a phone need 8GB of ram?!
It doesn't but XDA is gonna love it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

datajosh posted:

It doesn't but XDA is gonna love it

They better because they're going to be the ones writing the software to make it work.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://phandroid.com/2017/05/05/motorola-verizon-droid-branding-rumor/amp/

Everyone can thank me. Motorola sent me quite a few surveys at the end of last year (probably wondering why my string of Moto ownership was broken) and I slammed them on backtracking on fully universal devices after releasing the MXP. I ranked that just behind monthly security updates as reasons why I wouldn't recommend the devices to others and reasons why I wouldn't consider buying a new Moto device.

So, YOU'RE WELCOME.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Eight jeebees is unnecessary, but is there any primary negative consequence to more RAM? I say primary as opposed to secondary consequence like "it will encourage developers to be less frugal with algorithms' performance."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Any time you are lighting up more transistors, you have the possibility of consuming more power if there's not some sort of gating going on.

At some point the sizes are going to go up just because of packaging. They cram more density into a module, the minimum amount you can buy goes up.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

docbeard posted:

I can't wait til Google buys oneplus for patents only to close them 6 months later

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
What the gently caress is wrong with people, this is regarding why on earth a phone needs to come with 8gb of ram.

quote:

A regular phone and a regular user doesn't need that much, for sure. But some users, like myself, are heavy multitaskers that constantly switch between apps that use like a gig or more of RAM. I also want to be able to run Linux comfortably, or maybe even a Windows virtual machine. 8GB also opens up the doors for so many use case, for instance, convergence - connect a monitor, keyboard, mouse and with Linux, one could use the phone as a viable laptop/desktop alternative.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Just get a loving laptop you goddamn neckbeard.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
You just know they are running a citrix sesh on their sweet phone already. May as well trim it all down and run a full linux server environment on their phone.
Some people torrent from their phone. Some host a torrent community. Dream big.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Everyone loves drinking a coffee and messing with their phone am I right?

Well what if the the phone could brew the coffee???

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mokase/mokase-your-mobile-phone-cover-makes-even-coffee

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ehh, I mean if someone needs 8GB to do their nerd poo poo, I'm glad the device exists for them to do so. An awesome world to be in.

Of course, I'm sure a significant portion of people who think they need it, don't...

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Scaramouche posted:

Everyone loves drinking a coffee and messing with their phone am I right?

Well what if the the phone could brew the coffee???

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mokase/mokase-your-mobile-phone-cover-makes-even-coffee
I bet that loving thing hits its goal too (and then probably never materializes)

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I really don't see a use for 8GB of RAM until Google comes up with something for Android to do with all that memory and bakes it into the OS.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Unless OnePlus changes a lot about how Android works, that memory is probably going to be going to waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

azurite posted:

Unless OnePlus changes a lot about how Android works, that memory is probably going to be going to waste.

Much like their phones