Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

So is the whole world of the framework controlled by Hydra? Since it's an american show "the whole world" usually just translates to "America" so I dunno

Did Hydra cap all the other countries too? Is Iceland controlled by Hydra?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Fartbox posted:

So is the whole world of the framework controlled by Hydra? Since it's an american show "the whole world" usually just translates to "America" so I dunno

Did Hydra cap all the other countries too? Is Iceland controlled by Hydra?

Project Insight was designed for world-wide takeover, and in this universe Project Insight probably went off without a hitch, if not actively celebrated by people after the Cambridge incident.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

sticklefifer posted:

It's that awful 60s comic logic where everyone's real name is an extension of their code name, just like it's pretty convenient that a woman named Harleen Quinzel who ended up the Joker's sidekick had a name that sounded vaguely like 'harlequin' and not like Bertha Schlanski or something.

eeeexcept Harley is from the 90s, so they don't even have that excuse.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Spuckuk posted:

Does the name Harleen (not including bad people that named their kid after Harley Quinn) exist anywhere outside of the character? I've never encountered it anywhere else.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

Does the name Harleen (not including bad people that named their kid after Harley Quinn) exist anywhere outside of the character? I've never encountered it anywhere else.

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Harleen

Not common, but not unheard-of.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

I'm Canadian but my name isn't Mapleton Poutineron. Stop being a moon racist.

I'm Russian and my name is Vladimir Vodkavich Drunkalotski. Fo reals to. I'm naming my firstborn tripaloski if a boy and krokodilla if a girl

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm Irish and my name is Boozagar O'Potatogon.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zebulon posted:

Project Insight was designed for world-wide takeover, and in this universe Project Insight probably went off without a hitch, if not actively celebrated by people after the Cambridge incident.

Also, the Tri-Skelion has the leaders and all the rad gear they need to suppress resistance, so that's where the heaviest action will go down. It just so happens to be in America :v:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Von_Doom posted:

I'm Russian and my name is Vladimir Vodkavich Drunkalotski.

sry about your boxing career can't believe you lost to a tiny teenager

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Von_Doom posted:

I'm Russian and my name is Vladimir Vodkavich Drunkalotski. Fo reals to. I'm naming my firstborn tripaloski if a boy and krokodilla if a girl

Please, this is a family thread. You're Soda Popinski.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I'm Irish and my name is Boozagar O'Potatogon.

Probably better in reverse!

Potatogar O'Boozagon

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
My name's Christian McDonald, but you can call me Gunn.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Cran posted:

My name's Christian McDonald, but you can call me Gunn.

let me guess, southern Midwest

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
My name is Scott Webster, so clearly I should get Spiderman powers and a Spidey suit variant that includes a kilt.

... drat, my real life seems even more disappointing now than before.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

lol but seriously I posted:

I don't know where people are getting this impressionistic simulacrum stuff. It seems far more likely that they simulated the entire history of the world in exact detail modulo a half dozen ironic evil genie wish grantings using magic.

:byodood: How can they replicate everyone ever in the world
:byodood: A computer simulation won't work that way
:byodood: They don't explain anything about how the Framework can do these things
:byodood: Why can't they just unplug.

Yes exactly. It's a system made with the assistance of the MOST POWERFUL EVIL MAGIC BOOK IN EXISTENCE. After reading it, AIDA was able to manipulate magic golden threads to open a portal to the Dark Dimension. And use those same threads to make a brain. And use the book the complete the Framework. And make a printer that used those same glowy threads to print a loving working body. And she's now a god-damned WIZARD, not inhuman. She has the Darkhold in her head.

Ghost Rider is gonna Penance Stare the poo poo out of her because she basically decanted herself as an evil wizard at best, an outright demon avatar of the Darkhold at worst.

In summary:

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 5, 2017

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Spuckuk posted:

Yeah, I was referring to the Inhumans originally showing up in the 60s, with later comic characters like Harley being a holdover from that 60s logic. And before, probably, but I don't have an example off the top of my head.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ojjeorago posted:

Are you blind?

In all my comic times I never saw anyone refer to him by anything but "Black Bolt" or "King" or "my dear" so I didn't know he had a dumb name like that. When I said the Wikipedia page I was talking the show which just says "Black Bolt" and doesn't use some other name. Its dumb and I assume it won't be transferred over to the show/MCU until it does.

Comic books have some weird names, especially from an alien race with its own foreign culture.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Comic books have some weird names, especially from an alien race with its own foreign culture.

Yeah, once we account for fictional cultural differences, his name would be about as weird as an American named Hicklick Dumbracist. His friends just call him "Fatty."

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

It's that awful 60s comic logic where everyone's real name is an extension of their code name, just like it's pretty convenient that a woman named Harleen Quinzel who ended up the Joker's sidekick had a name that sounded vaguely like 'harlequin' and not like Bertha Schlanski or something.

When was Blackagar Boltagon first actually used as Black Bolt's name in a comic though? Pretty sure it was not in the 60s. This Marvel wiki suggests that his origin "born of two top Inhuman geneticists, exposed to terrigen as embryo, yadda, yadda" was in Secret Invasion: Inhumans #3 from 2008. So it's 21st century comic wank not 60s craziness.

STAC Goat posted:

In all my comic times I never saw anyone refer to him by anything but "Black Bolt" or "King" or "my dear" so I didn't know he had a dumb name like that. When I said the Wikipedia page I was talking the show which just says "Black Bolt" and doesn't use some other name. Its dumb and I assume it won't be transferred over to the show/MCU until it does.

Basically this, I've no memory of reading anything at all with that dumb name in it even though I was into the Inhumans and I more or less stopped reading Marvel stuff in the 90s (cos I'm ancient).

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Blackagar Boltagon is older than that because I first heard of it from John Hodgman making fun of the name in his book, which came out in 2005.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Blackagar Boltagon is a great goofy name :colbert:

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Found this quote supposedly from John Byrne from his forums re: who came up with Blackagar Boltagon.

quote:

The Mark of Gruenwald, alas. I plotted an FF Annual I didn't have time to
script. I gave Mark all the notes he needed, and he wrote a script -- my
notes plus a little bit more. Like Black Bolt's real name.
Mark really should have been at DC.

I'm trying to find the issue but Unlimited is being a pain ATM.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Found it Fantastic Four Annual #18 1984

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Blackantor back then eh

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Black Bolt is p stupid on its own anyways.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
His name should be Silentor B'Deadlion

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Azhais posted:

His name should be Silentor B'Deadlion

The Fart that Levels Kingdoms

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I am thoroughly enjoying this discussion of amazingly stupid names.

Also more people can spell Blackagar Boltagon right after hearing it one time than can spell Coulson right after reading it for years. Son of Coul, people! Remember!

Also, I think Blackagar Boltagon is a great name just because of how obviously dumb it is. It's like if they realized they never gave a name to Iron Man and named him Ironius Manwell ten years later. Or named Batman Batcula Manzarello.

I also have very little interest in the Inhumans show. If Entertainment Weekly always makes costumes look THAT bad, production companies should start sending them their own photos to use for promo pieces.

Also Skye should have totally shoved Mack through the portal. If there's two things Mack hates, it's robots and being brainwashed. Letting him be brainwashed by a robot is just cruel. Besides, she promised Yo-Yo!

Radcliffe and Aida are my favourite new characters.

Since everyone seemed to call Mace dying by re-enacting his fake hero moment, and it was pretty obvious and happened anyway, I'm fully on board with Ghost Rider being the one to take down Aida even though we really haven't seen Robbie in a while. But I think Fitz and/or Radcliffe would be the most fitting. They created her, after all. And she has far more history with them. Robbie would be a cool monkey's paw kinda twist but Fitz/Radcliffe would be far more dramatically satisfying. I guess they can do both by having them defeat her by luring her to somewhere where Robbie is waiting for her.

Also I think I like the idea of Aida just being a dark sorcerer instead of having given herself Inhuman powers.

Though I imagine now they have the technology to give people a new Inhuman body and transplant their brain into it. They have all kinds of weird stuff lying around that they could delve into for the next season, assuming there is one. Though I imagine the sentiment amongst everyone will be "launch all darkhold tech into the sun and never make it again."

I do like the idea that the Darkhold itself has a goal it is working towards, it would be cool to see that explored a bit by the end of the season.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Radcliffe is a loving fantastic character. I liked him back in season 3, but that early part of season 4 where he was part of 'the team' was loving great and I miss it. I hope like hell that he gets a new body and SHIELD gives him a third chance at being the friendly Mad Scientist character for season 5 like he was early in S4. :)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Metropolis posted:

Also more people can spell Blackagar Boltagon right after hearing it one time than can spell Coulson right after reading it for years. Son of Coul, people! Remember!

Could be worse, I've seen folks on multiple other forums who keep spelling May's name Mai. That wouldn't even sound like May.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Apoplexy posted:

Radcliffe is a loving fantastic character. I liked him back in season 3, but that early part of season 4 where he was part of 'the team' was loving great and I miss it. I hope like hell that he gets a new body and SHIELD gives him a third chance at being the friendly Mad Scientist character for season 5 like he was early in S4. :)

Bless your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bruceski posted:

Could be worse, I've seen folks on multiple other forums who keep spelling May's name Mai. That wouldn't even sound like May.
It would sound like my.

Also, May is legit in her 50s. Which is cool imo.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm not familiar with her so I just looked her up. Apparently she's 53 (insert asianladiesaging.jpg) and voiced Mulan.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

She was also in a scene that has best evil villain line uttered on film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlhOUyy4wbs

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

flosofl posted:

She was also in a scene that has best evil villain line uttered on film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlhOUyy4wbs

Shame she wasn't there for the Superior's takedown since Coulson was basically Heroic Bison in that scene.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Metropolis posted:

Also, I think Blackagar Boltagon is a great name just because of how obviously dumb it is. It's like if they realized they never gave a name to Iron Man and named him Ironius Manwell ten years later. Or named Batman Batcula Manzarello.

"You have been chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to become the holder of the ring of power, Dr. Greenicus Lanterno."

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
JJJ: "I've finally found your real identity! All along you were my trusted photographer, Spinigan Derwin Manson!"

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

cant cook creole bream posted:

JJJ: "I've finally found your real identity! All along you were my trusted photographer, Spinigan Derwin-Manson!"

ftfy

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Fitz is so going to try suicide by Ghost Rider isn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

sticklefifer posted:

"You have been chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to become the holder of the ring of power, Dr. Greenicus Lanterno."

"Welcome to the Gotham Republican Convention. My name's Maddox Hatterson, but everyone in the tea party just calls me Mad."

• Locked thread