Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

Yea but if that didnt happen you wouldnt have gotten the rank up right when he busted in to kill you which was hilarious.
They could have done it the same way as they did Adachi in Golden and given you the Rank 7 at that point only if you'd made it to Rank 6 normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Meme Emulator posted:

Yea but if that didnt happen you wouldnt have gotten the rank up right when he busted in to kill you which was hilarious.

They could've plot-locked the last few ranks of it and changed the cutscenes slightly if you'd "maxed"it out in time.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Well, if you insist...

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Honey I'm home

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Atlus please give me an Accomplice Ending with Goro

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Bogart posted:

e: Does anybody remember the names of the other teachers that aren't Kamoshida and Kawakami? What are they?

I don't know his name but this guy

is the best character in the game just because of how :smug: he looks.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

ROFL Octopus posted:

I don't know his name but this guy

is the best character in the game just because of how :smug: he looks.
I think this is Mr. Hiruta? he teaches science

There's Ms. Chouno, the make up'd English teacher, there's Ms. Usami, the dour Math teacher, and I think the old guy is your history teacher, Mr. Inui?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think the other inherent problem with Akechi is the fact that he wasn't the actual primary antagonist, despite being the actual primary antagonist. Shido was literally just some dude without Akechi. I figured going into Shido's palace that he was just the first stepping stone before going after Akechi, but then they had to have "Shido" "kill" Akechi to make him seem like an actual threat. The whole thing with Shido summoning a cognitive Akechi to kill Akechi doesn't even seem like that smart a plan despite how everyone treated him like it was the ultimate failsafe, who's even to say real Akechi doesn't win out against the fake if we hadn't already beat his rear end first? Like sure Shido and his pals have this elaborate plan to manipulate the world via the cognitive world but which one of them is going to go to the Metaverse and do it? Shido just never feels like a real threat without Akechi in the equation

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Shido was decent as a representative of blindly selfish adults and their deleterious effect on society but God almighty he was an awful character.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think the other inherent problem with Akechi is the fact that he wasn't the actual primary antagonist, despite being the actual primary antagonist. Shido was literally just some dude without Akechi. I figured going into Shido's palace that he was just the first stepping stone before going after Akechi, but then they had to have "Shido" "kill" Akechi to make him seem like an actual threat. The whole thing with Shido summoning a cognitive Akechi to kill Akechi doesn't even seem like that smart a plan despite how everyone treated him like it was the ultimate failsafe, who's even to say real Akechi doesn't win out against the fake if we hadn't already beat his rear end first? Like sure Shido and his pals have this elaborate plan to manipulate the world via the cognitive world but which one of them is going to go to the Metaverse and do it? Shido just never feels like a real threat without Akechi in the equation

I have to agree, Shido isn't the most threatening or interesting villain without Akechi around, and it's a good thing that he gets pushed aside soon after. I appreciate the idea of a villain like Shido, but the character himself doesn't do much for me, I don't think he had much presence. They tried, Akechi's backstory connection is at least in theory interesting in developing Shido, but I don't think it worked fully. (It just made Akechi a bit more sympathetic) I like Adachi as a villain because I think he played that role well. I also like that they didn't really try and have him be redeemable in any way. I think Akechi is the more interesting character and a better foil for the protagonist, but his role in the story is less effective than Adachi's.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Which teacher was gay? I missed the dialogue where they apparently just nonchalantly mentioned his gayness, as they should.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Which teacher was gay? I missed the dialogue where they apparently just nonchalantly mentioned his gayness, as they should.

Mr. Hiruta of :smuggo: fame, though I also missed that dialog or just didn't even really register it when I read it

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm almost 100% certain he made mention of a wife at some point but don't quote me on that.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

Mr. Hiruta of :smuggo: fame, though I also missed that dialog or just didn't even really register it when I read it

Wait what :aaaaa:

I didn't know they elaborated on any of the non-Kawakami teachers.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I played with JP voices but how did the ENG dub handle Ms. Chouno's "GOOD MORNING EVERYONE" and Ann talking English in Palace 7?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
She's a valley girl now.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lakbay posted:

I played with JP voices but how did the ENG dub handle Ms. Chouno's "GOOD MORNING EVERYONE" and Ann talking English in Palace 7?

I dunno about Chouno, but Ann uses a fake British accent in Palace 7 and it rules.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Lakbay posted:

Did she speak in English when she was pretending to be royalty? She was just putting on airs with a haughty tone in the dub.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
They used this really weird, tinny pre-recorded English line in the JP voices. Pretty sure it wasn't Nana Mizuki speaking English

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ROFL Octopus posted:

Wait what :aaaaa:

I didn't know they elaborated on any of the non-Kawakami teachers.

At some point in class he talks about his partner, and I think he drops a 'he' in there.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

At some point in class he talks about his partner, and I think he drops a 'he' in there.

Most likely it was a translation error :v:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
that's needlessly pessimistic

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm erring on the side of them actually having a reasonable character. I doubt they'd go all the way in giving a borderline gay-stereotype a partner in a relationship sense, and then have that partner be a woman.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 5, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Weird, I read all the books in the game and the trophy didn't unlock. I checked to make sure all the library books are read, which they are. I have all the books in the game if the Gamefaqs trophy faq is accurate. And I do have the Mementos books, so I didn't miss out on those.

[edit] Nevermind, I had one last book I didn't see...and it was a tourist book that instantly got read and gave the me the chivo.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 5, 2017

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Testing testing 123

(Thanks to forums user A Bug for avatarizing these)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Not much left on trophies to get. Main one I am struggling on is the twins, as I am about to fight Shadow Sae and they still kick my rear end in five turns. Can I still fight them when on the 24th before they merge or I have to beat them before Shadow Shido?

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Can't believe no one took the best confidant's sticker, but that just means it was still around for me!

Thanks for making these into avatars A Bug!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

Not much left on trophies to get. Main one I am struggling on is the twins, as I am about to fight Shadow Sae and they still kick my rear end in five turns. Can I still fight them when on the 24th before they merge or I have to beat them before Shadow Shido?

You don't have to have max level to fight them, but you do want to be about level 70 or so before really giving it a shot. Also take advantage of the items that the Reaper drops to help keep your team going.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online
I was trying to collect all of the drinks from vending machines and discovered you can actually find Akechi waiting in line for things (also probably stalking you). During Kaneshiro's palace he was actually standing in line at the melon pan shop just outside the Shibuya Accessway hideout. You can talk to him but he runs off after some fans show up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

tentawesome posted:

I was trying to collect all of the drinks from vending machines and discovered you can actually find Akechi waiting in line for things (also probably stalking you). During Kaneshiro's palace he was actually standing in line at the melon pan shop just outside the Shibuya Accessway hideout. You can talk to him but he runs off after some fans show up.

The artbook says that Akechi likes to go to trendy restaurants at peak hours because it gives him something to talk to people about and waiting in long lines is one of the closest things he gets to human interaction.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

Oxxidation posted:

The artbook says that Akechi likes to go to trendy restaurants at peak hours because it gives him something to talk to people about and waiting in long lines is one of the closest things he gets to human interaction.

Yeah, I saw that mentioned earlier in the thread. I thought it was neat that they actually incorporated it into the game.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

tentawesome posted:

Yeah I saw this my first playthrough and it ruled. I'm pretty sure that's a one time thing? I didn't see him anywhere else at least outside of Leblanc

iirc there's also two women standing a few yards away from him and one of them is trying to get the courage to go talk to him

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Rirse posted:

The Trophy guide on GameFAQs says that 12/22 is the last day that fight is available.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

tentawesome posted:

Yeah, I saw that mentioned earlier in the thread. I thought it was neat that they actually incorporated it into the game.

On that note, I liked that one of the Phan-site requests was the one from the Daybreakers anime. Except in the game you do a different plan because the one from the show was too risky

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 6, 2017

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Moltrey posted:

Atlus please give me an Accomplice Ending with Goro

Extended evil ending where the gang breaks Akechi out of Mementos to help them take down their own corrupt leader. Run around Joker's endless cafe-prison palace and fight cynical cognitions of all the other Phantom Thieves. Miniboss Shadow-Morgana fight where he spams party-wide sleep spells.

Realtalk, because I'm Hella Dumb, when they introduced the idea of the Quarantine Cell in Mementos being for holding the most dangerous and evil inmate of all, I assumed it was a setup to Akechi being locked up there. Once Yaldo admitted Akechi'd been his pawn in an elaborate game I figured "ah okay so he whisked him away at the last minute and imprisoned him as punishment for his failure, that's why his death was offscreen, I get it."

...Then you just walk out of the quarantine cell door and welp. :v:

Edit: I definitely agree that Akechi feels a lot more like your personal nemesis, so taking him out before the ending does feel premature. Him being Yakko's pawn was a perfect setup to bring him back for one last boss fight and I'm a little surprised they didn't indulge.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 6, 2017

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Dolash posted:

Extended evil ending where the gang breaks Akechi out of Mementos to help them take down their own corrupt leader. Run around Joker's endless cafe-prison palace and fight cynical cognitions of all the other Phantom Thieves. Miniboss Shadow-Morgana fight where he spams party-wide sleep spells.

Realtalk, because I'm Hella Dumb, when they introduced the idea of the Quarantine Cell in Mementos being for holding the most dangerous and evil inmate of all, I assumed it was a setup to Akechi being locked up there. Once Yaldo admitted Akechi'd been his pawn in an elaborate game I figured "ah okay so he whisked him away at the last minute and imprisoned him as punishment for his failure, I get it."

...Then you just walk out of the quarantine cell door and welp. :v:

I definitely expected to see Akechi again but no, he's just dropped from the loving universe.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It was slightly disappointing that Shadow Morgana never amounted to anything, but the endgame was so strong I can forgive that (kinda have to throw shade on Lavenza though, she's kind of an eh character and her VAing didn't help much).

The game is pretty great overall, I feel like the midame could definitely use some tweaking in regards to Haru and maybe a Ryuji-Morgana resolution (also Futaba falling asleep for three weeks is hilariously bad writing). But the start and end are strong enough that this is definitely in the upper echelons.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I definitely expected to see Akechi again but no, he's just dropped from the loving universe.

I think it fits him. He's a tool, used and ultimately discarded.

Having him return would undermine that I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

W.T. Fits posted:

The Trophy guide on GameFAQs says that 12/22 is the last day that fight is available.

Okay so you have to fight them before heading to Mementos to beat the Holy Grail. I figured it too late when they merge back to their old self, but was curious if you could still fight them when you go to the Depths.

Nearing the end of my NG+ run, as Shido's Palace is available, but only got a few trophies left to get. The soda and twin ones are already mentioned, but also still need to craft all tools. What the best place to get liquid mercury and red phosphorus in Mementos? I know Anubis drops mercury, but forgot floor he spawns on.

• Locked thread