Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Same map booted in Mac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Are you putting this into map seed or map share string? Because if it's the former, the water frequency has changed for railworld since then and you have to set that to the same as from the string if you want it to work.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Map share string. Pasting it populates the map seed (3731112855).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That's super weird. Those ore deposits around you seem the same as mine. I generated my map from the seed because I also changed some other things, and the trick to getting the same map was setting exactly the same water as the map string populated.

Are you sure you're not actually on an island? It's pretty huge, try zooming out some :v:

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Trying map share strings from the load game dialog is generating different maps for everything except for new maps created for the first time in 0.15.x. Also can someone post just the map seed pl0x

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

emoji posted:

Trying map share strings from the load game dialog is generating different maps for everything except for new maps created for the first time in 0.15.x. Also can someone post just the map seed pl0x

Your previous screenshot looked correct, but here is the string.

quote:

>>>AAAPAAAAYwACBQcAAAAEAAAAY29hbAEFBQoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl
AQUFCQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAIFBQoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlAwMDCAAAAGl
yb24tb3JlAQUFBQAAAHN0b25lAQUFCwAAAHVyYW5pdW0tb3JlAgUFl0
Nk3oCEHgCAhB4AAwABAQF7FK5H4XqUPwEAAAAAAAAuQAEAAAAAAADwP
wEAAAAAAFi7QAEAAAAAAOCFQAEAAAAAAFirQAEAAAAAAIjDQAEAAAAA
AECfQAEAAAAAAEB/QAEAAAAAAECPQAEzMzMzMzPzPwEzMzMzMzPzPwF
7FK5H4Xp0PwEAAQAAAAAAAAhAAQAAAAAAAAhAAXsUrkfheoQ/AQABAQ
GN7bWg98bQPgH8qfHSTWJgPwFpHVVNEHXvPgEBAQMAAAABBwAAAAECA
AAAAQIAAAABmpmZmZmZuT8BAAAAAAAAAEABAAAAAAAA4D8BmpmZmZmZ
2T8BzczMzMzM7D8BBQAAAAEUAAAAAUA4AAABwEsDAAEQDgAAAaCMAAA
BIBwAAAEAAAAAAAA+QAEAAAAAAAAUQAFmZmZmZmb2PwEzMzMzMzPjPw
EzMzMzMzPTPwEAAAAAAAAIQAEAAAAAAAAkQAE8AAAAAR4AAAAByAAAA
AEFAAAAAQAAAAAAAABAAQEBAAAAAAAAWUABBQAAAAEZAAAAAQAAAAAA
ACRAATIAAAABAAAAAAAAPkABZAAAAAGamZmZmZnJPwEzMzMzMzPDPwE
zMzMzMzPTPwEzMzMzMzPTPwEAAAAAAAAkQAEAAAAAAAA0QAEAAAAAAA
A+QAEAAAAAAAAUQAEAAAAAAAA+QAEAAAAAAAAkQAEAAAAAAAAIQAEKA
AAAAWQAAAABZAAAAAHoAwAAAQAAAAAAAOA/AdAHAAABAAAAAABAf0AD
AAAAAAAAAAAAAADwP6nEiXc=<<<

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The map seed definitely correct too.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

accipter posted:

Your previous screenshot looked correct, but here is the string.

Truga posted:

The map seed definitely correct too.

I meant just the ~10 digit seed that appears when you paste (3731112855 for me) but it seems to be the same. The same seed does generate different maps from latest 14.x to 15.x (share strings are incompatible).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I just regenerated from the share string in latest 0.15 and got the goon island with all the features from your screenshot, just try unzooming the map a bit man :v:

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Lol, disregard all previous posts. I could have sworn I checked again in map mode zoomout when the other dude said that.

emoji fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 5, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Goon Island is big. You won't see that it's an island unless you go into map view.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

emoji posted:

Lol, disregard all previous posts. I could have sworn I checked again in map mode zoomout when the other dude said that.

In your screenshot I recognized the coal formation.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
aaaaaaaaaaaaand i updated my mods and i hosed my save

thanks factorio. thanktorio

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
FYI the latest patch (0.15.7 as of writing this) has broken coal loading into trains, so eventually your rail system will die. bug reported, fix implemented for 0.15.8

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

something posted:

FYI the latest patch (0.15.7 as of writing this) has broken coal loading into trains, so eventually your rail system will die. bug reported, fix implemented for 0.15.8

Yeah it's especially a problem if you're using rocket fuel and can only put 30 into a train. :(

Qubee
May 31, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah it's especially a problem if you're using rocket fuel and can only put 30 into a train. :(

Gross, trains only accept a max of 30 rocket fuel? I wanna fill mine up entirely!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Loopoo posted:

Gross, trains only accept a max of 30 rocket fuel? I wanna fill mine up entirely!

There's three slots for fuel and rocket fuel only stacks to 10.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I am running low on coal in my start area. I only had 200k to begin with. There is a coal patch a ways away and it is feasible to run a belt from there, but that doesn't sound fun. I know it can be done, but are there problems with setting up a train stop by my original coal area and using my existing belt infrastructure for a bit?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Dirk Pitt posted:

I am running low on coal in my start area. I only had 200k to begin with. There is a coal patch a ways away and it is feasible to run a belt from there, but that doesn't sound fun. I know it can be done, but are there problems with setting up a train stop by my original coal area and using my existing belt infrastructure for a bit?

No, not at all. If the coal patch is almost dried up and there's a lot of space, you can easily run a 2-length train (1 loco, 1 cargo) back and forth between new patch + old one, and get it to offload onto your already built infrastructure. Hell of a lot easier to do than belting it all across.

Depends how many things are using the coal, though. You may have to bump up to a few more cargowagons if you've got coal-hungry stuff.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Loopoo posted:

No, not at all. If the coal patch is almost dried up and there's a lot of space, you can easily run a 2-length train (1 loco, 1 cargo) back and forth between new patch + old one, and get it to offload onto your already built infrastructure. Hell of a lot easier to do than belting it all across.

Depends how many things are using the coal, though. You may have to bump up to a few more cargowagons if you've got coal-hungry stuff.

Thanks! I am still on coal power and need to move up to 40 steam engines. I almost got solar going but starting production chewed through my circuits and I need to fix that after I get more power. Still very coal hungry in my area.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
gently caress solar power in .15. Once you have train infrastructure online you can roll with steam as long as you want until you get nuclear.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
nuclear provides alot of power

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Dirk Pitt posted:

Thanks! I am still on coal power and need to move up to 40 steam engines. I almost got solar going but starting production chewed through my circuits and I need to fix that after I get more power. Still very coal hungry in my area.

Do yourself a favour and download FARL. 40 steam engines puts you at a healthy sized factory, and you'll need to start shuttling in resources. Laying track by hand isn't as painful as it used to be, but god drat does FARL make it easy and beautiful laying down massive train highways. I usually start off with a two-track system, and then once my factory gets big enough, I expand to 4 lanes.

So I'd recommend automating rails + large electric poles + signals ASAP so when the time comes, you can easily lay down huge stretches. Unless you're not playing on Railworld, then nevermind.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Probably starting again for new update because I start again constantly anyway. Tempted to try Goon Island, but I loved my last map so much:

Start:

12m Iron, 11m copper, Oil for days and there's a huge patch of the green stuff just off to the left. Only downside was a lot of trees. Then...

Those choke points :love:

String if anyone want to not have to worry about resources for twenty hours...

code:
>>>AAAPAAcAAgACBAcAAAAEAAAAY29hbAEFBQoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl
AQUFCQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAEFBQoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlAQIFCAAAAGl
yb24tb3JlAQUFBQAAAHN0b25lAQUFCwAAAHVyYW5pdW0tb3JlAQUFZ6
nMMoCEHgCAhB4ABQABAQF7FK5H4XqUPwEAAAAAAAAuQAEAAAAAAADwP
wEAAAAAAFi7QAEAAAAAAOCFQAEAAAAAAFirQAEAAAAAAIjDQAEAAAAA
AECfQAEAAAAAAEB/QAEAAAAAAECPQAEzMzMzMzPzPwEzMzMzMzPzPwF
7FK5H4Xp0PwEAAQAAAAAAAAhAAQAAAAAAAAhAAXsUrkfheoQ/AQABAQ
GN7bWg98bAPgH8qfHSTWJgPwFpHVVNEHXvPgEAAQYAAAABAgAAAAECA
AAAAZqZmZmZmbk/AQAAAAAAAABAAQAAAAAAAOA/AZqZmZmZmdk/Ac3M
zMzMzOw/AQQAAAABEAAAAAFAOAAAAcBLAwABEA4AAAGgjAAAASAcAAA
BAAAAAAAAPkABAAAAAAAAFEABZmZmZmZm9j8BMzMzMzMz4z8BMzMzMz
Mz0z8BAAAAAAAACEABAAAAAAAAJEABPAAAAAEeAAAAAcgAAAABBQAAA
AEAAAAAAAAAQAEBAQAAAAAAAFlAAQUAAAABGQAAAAEAAAAAAAAkQAEy
AAAAAQAAAAAAAD5AAWQAAAABmpmZmZmZyT8BMzMzMzMzwz8BMzMzMzM
z0z8BMzMzMzMz0z8BAAAAAAAAJEABAAAAAAAANEABAAAAAAAAPkABAA
AAAAAAFEABAAAAAAAAPkABAAAAAAAAJEABAAAAAAAACEABCgAAAAFkA
AAAAWQAAAAB6AMAAAEAAAAAAADgPwHQBwAAAQAAAAAAQH9AAwAAAAAA
AAAAAAAA8D+POJ0O<<<

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've noticed Railworld starts are a bit garbage, cause the whole point is to get you using rail networks ASAP, right? But every Railworld start whomps me in the middle of massive deposits that clock in at around 4mil apiece. It basically negates the need to start branching out. I built a rail network earlier than I had to because I wanted to and I enjoy train logistics, but I was at hour 21 and still going strong with my starter deposits.

Also, I'm torn between wanting forest starts vs desert starts. Desert starts are way nicer cause of all the open space, but forest starts are more beautiful and I love the abundance of trees - up until the point I need to mass deforest them all.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What do people do for military science? This is what I settled on for one military science a second.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Loopoo posted:

I've noticed Railworld starts are a bit garbage, cause the whole point is to get you using rail networks ASAP, right? But every Railworld start whomps me in the middle of massive deposits that clock in at around 4mil apiece. It basically negates the need to start branching out. I built a rail network earlier than I had to because I wanted to and I enjoy train logistics, but I was at hour 21 and still going strong with my starter deposits.

Also, I'm torn between wanting forest starts vs desert starts. Desert starts are way nicer cause of all the open space, but forest starts are more beautiful and I love the abundance of trees - up until the point I need to mass deforest them all.

Change the deposit sizes from huge to large.

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015
v15.8 is out now.

0.15.8 changelog posted:

Changes
New Supply challenge map.
Circuit network-based inserter stack size overrides now take effect immediately instead of waiting until the inserter has moved something.

Bugfixes
Show 0.7% in the uranium processing recipe instead of 0.0 for uranium 235. This generally works for any recipe that gives less than 1 of anything.
Don't draw player names on the map that is not in range of player or radar on the zoomed in map.
Fix some ores with negative values in Tight spot level 04.
Fixed inserters couldn't insert fuel into locomotives.
Fixed random inaccessible map area in Beta campaign level 04.
Fixed various inserter GUI bugs.
Fixed train station tutorial relied on specific train schedule state.

Balancing
Changed iron gear wheel price of fast and underground belt from 20->40 and 40->80 to even out the bigger length.
Fix that biters would sometimes stop and go to sleep during an attack.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Loopoo posted:

Yeah, that was a Railworld and I could easily launch multiple rockets without leaving the starting area. But I wanted big resources for that one because it was more about playing with nuclear and new science.

quote:

Fix that biters would sometimes stop and go to sleep during an attack.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 5, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I love that player names are now hidden if they're out of radar / player range. Will make PvP servers way more enjoyable.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Change the deposit sizes from huge to large.

It's a catch 22 situation. Early game starting with a 4mil deposit is a bit too forgiving. Lategame however, I prefer having large deposits that don't require constant maintenance / relocation. It becomes very tedious in the lategame where 80% of your time is spent making new outposts.

Dunno what options to tweak to ensure it becomes more fun and less of a repetitive chore.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Loopoo posted:

Dunno what options to tweak to ensure it becomes more fun and less of a repetitive chore.
Blueprints. A train stop with inserters and chests plus a tileable miner setup using the newly expanded substation range is the way to go. Plonk a miner down and only the ones that are on the ore will actually place. Then you just manually hook up the outputs to the inputs of the train stop and you're good to go!

I haven't gotten to that point yet and I just restarted but once I make the blueprints I'll put them in the thread (and also in the spreadsheet).

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Bhodi posted:

Blueprints. A train stop with inserters and chests plus a tileable miner setup using the newly expanded substation range is the way to go. Plonk a miner down and only the ones that are on the ore will actually place. Then you just manually hook up the outputs to the inputs of the train stop and you're good to go!

I haven't gotten to that point yet and I just restarted but once I make the blueprints I'll put them in the thread (and also in the spreadsheet).

You serious? When did that become a thing, cause it's awesome. I never bothered making miner blueprints cause I had no idea they only place if they're on ore.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Bhodi posted:

I like to do bot-mining at outposts. Blueprint for miners->passive providers, blueprint for the loading station, then run a ring of roboports around the outside. Super easy to set up and no belts to deal with.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Loopoo posted:

You serious? When did that become a thing, cause it's awesome. I never bothered making miner blueprints cause I had no idea they only place if they're on ore.

It's definitely been this way for a while. But yeah you can just have massive miner array blueprints and plonk them down and let the bots do the rest. Depending on your preferred mining layout you might have to play around with belts/power a little.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Nah, make a blueprint of a MASSIVE block of miners connected to a rail station: one-click outposts. The shift-click rail ghosting makes connecting it to the rails a breeze. Use a decon planner to trim off the extra belts, and you're set. Include walls and turrets, why not.

Not only that, now that blueprints can be saved game-to-game, I finally feel like a less-lazy person and add crazy circuit things like "turn off the station until there's a load ready" (ideal for oil/uranium, have 1 train service infinite stations), "ping a global alert when the outpost is out of ammo", "turn this inserter off until the downstream chest is >170 [so that 12 chests will fill to 2k evenly for quick loading]", etc

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I'm quite pleased with the science adjustments. Removing pumpjacks massively reduced steel, and therefore iron plate, requirements.
Was fairly easy to adjust my factory and now iron isn't running low constantly.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Okay, as much as it fucks up my current factory I do like the new changes. Automating production of more than a handful of pumpjacks at a time was rather obnoxious and it's not like you need THAT many. Meanwhile you always need more electric miners, might as well give the player an excuse to automate those ASAP.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
They still haven't fixed the thing where biters randomly aggro on power pylons out in the wilderness, and it's still driving me crazy

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Alkydere posted:

Okay, as much as it fucks up my current factory I do like the new changes. Automating production of more than a handful of pumpjacks at a time was rather obnoxious and it's not like you need THAT many. Meanwhile you always need more electric miners, might as well give the player an excuse to automate those ASAP.

Gray assemblers always felt like the odd one out in the new tech production, since there is absolutely no benefit to manufacturing them except in the very small sliver of time before you're able to build blues. Having them all the way back in purple tech just seems even more out of place now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

Gray assemblers always felt like the odd one out in the new tech production, since there is absolutely no benefit to manufacturing them except in the very small sliver of time before you're able to build blues. Having them all the way back in purple tech just seems even more out of place now.

At least they're easy to make. And just circuit your inserters up so you don't make a massive backlog of them, and instead only produce enough to create as many science packs as you need.