Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

Smt4 sucks, gently caress this game

They still haven't figured out how to not front-load the difficulty in Megami Tensei games I guess.

Had the same issue in P4 with the first dungeon and that game is from like 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I really enjoyed the first part of SMT4 lol. they're probably not gonna pull anything like that again though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

They still haven't figured out how to not front-load the difficulty in Megami Tensei games I guess.

Had the same issue in P4 with the first dungeon and that game is from like 2008

It's not even just MegaTen. It's kind of an Atlus thing. The earliest parts of Etrian Odyssey games are almost always the hardest, too. Their gameplay systems just really tend to front-load difficulty, at least in their turn-based RPGs.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

mutata posted:

Yeah, there seems to be no compelling reason to play Champions over Quake Live
Less ADD-addled German savants who've played Quake 3 non-stop for the last 18 years insta-gibbing me from across the map on spawn. :colbert:

In Training posted:

It's crazy how long it takes between matches.
Really? It's only, like, a little over a minute here.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Kins posted:

Less ADD-addled German savants who've played Quake 3 non-stop for the last 18 years insta-gibbing me from across the map on spawn. :colbert:

I just mean the process after a match finishes. You have to look at the results for a while, and then it kicks you out to matchmaking again, then find a match, then have everyone ready up, and then play the 60 second warm up thing, and then it starts. In the past a game ended, a new map loaded and boom you're back to fragging

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Kins posted:

ADD would probably prevent a person from obsessively playing a videogame for 18 years

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

ADD would probably prevent a person from obsessively playing a videogame for 18 years

Depends on the ADD. Inattentive yes, hyper attentive, probably not

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

isn't hyper attentive attention deficit an oxymoron. i always thought it stood for hyperactive

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's like when they take energy out of the warp core and put it in the shields

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

isn't hyper attentive attention deficit an oxymoron. i always thought it stood for hyperactive

People with ADHD can hyperfocus sometimes, especially if it's something that's really stimulating (for example, like a video game). So while someone with ADHD might have trouble focusing on work or chores or stuff like that, they might not have any trouble at all playing a game for 12 hours straight. It's less that you can't focus, and more like you can't really control your focus.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

In Training posted:

I just mean the process after a match finishes. You have to look at the results for a while, and then it kicks you out to matchmaking again, then find a match, then have everyone ready up, and then play the 60 second warm up thing, and then it starts. In the past a game ended, a new map loaded and boom you're back to fragging

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. It's a slog to get through all of the stuff that ISN'T playing the game and when the game finally comes, it's literally just Quake 3 again but a little worse. It really adds or changes nothing to either the Quake formula or the freemium formula so personally, I'd rather just play Quake Live.

Who knows, though. Maybe there's a core group of players out there who want all that rank up, premium, 3-different-in-game-currencies faff added to their vanilla death match game. It's not for me though.

mutata fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 5, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I liked the Crystal Chronicles ds game even if it was flawed, I would like a sequel but not a dull singleplayer thing and hopefully better than the Final Fantasy monster hunter ripoff on 3ds.

The Crystal Chronicles DS game did have a sequel, with online multiplayer even. It was the one that had that hilariously clunky Wii version that was the same as the DS version but you had to push a button to swap between the top and bottom screens. IIRC it did have crossplay though which was pretty cool.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'd love a version of the GameCube Crystal Chronicles with online multiplayer. For predictable reasons my friends don't have a bunch of readily-available GBAs these days but drat would I love to play more Crystal Chronicles multiplayer.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Help Im Alive posted:

You can't quit a game in the first dungeon, you'll go to gamer hell

I was going to make a joke about "gamer hell is other gamers" but then I realized that was literally true.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kai Tave posted:

I was going to make a joke about "gamer hell is other gamers" but then I realized that was literally true.

If you quit a game in the first dungeon, it loads Dota 2

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Speaking of, apparently DOTA 2 is getting a coop campaign mode?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

In Training posted:

You can hit ESC the moment that end-of-game top-three cutscene pops up to start heading back to the menu.

Yeah, the loading when going back to the UI needs work. Hopefully they work on that. For now, though, I just get up to pee and/or refill my mug.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

mutata posted:

valve: see we still make games... lol

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

mutata posted:

Seems like a pretty good idea to me. It's always been a bit surprising that more moba companies haven't thought that there might be people who like the basic mechanics but not the competitive aspects and accompanying terrible community.

I mean the real reason is that it requires more investment than making one map.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBIF3CKa91I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e87h2BLaWNU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I haven't looked at it but I'm willing to bet the little co-op Dota2 event is just that, not a permanent game mode. They have one of these every 6 months or whatever when they do a big event-based patch.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I was just attacked by a medkit in Prey. Now I'm afraid to open the fridge.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Free Pikachu.

https://twitter.com/paul_haine/status/860533604975349760?s=09

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Palpek posted:

I was just attacked by a medkit in Prey. Now I'm afraid to open the fridge.

Going to pick up Prey from Red Box after work and I don't know anything about it besides being attacked by random objects so I'm expecting a Silent Hill "They look like monsters to you?" twist

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lakbay posted:

Going to pick up Prey from Red Box after work and I don't know anything about it besides being attacked by random objects so I'm expecting a Silent Hill "They look like monsters to you?" twist

They're just aliens, it's not clever or anything

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I didnt buy prey for today because there were no reviews and i hope bethesda's preorder numbers are lovely on account of their secrecy experiment

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't buy it because the demo sucked but a few people have said it's good so maybe it was just a bad demo, wouldn't be the first recently.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

My copy of Prey should be coming in from Gamefly today, people said the demo was bad but people actually playing the full game say it's good?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The demo is pretty lame amnesia plot garbage i was unhyped by it. I was hoping to see some of the cool powers in it but it felt very tired to me and the sound design is very bad

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Prey is really good, like really loving good. However if somebody didn't like the demo then I don't know if the full release is for them. However however - apparently the PC version controls way better than the console ones, runs like butter and has a better UI and stuff so that might make a difference. I'm playing k+m and it's all good.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

(not mine)

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I heard the ps4 controls were super bad but the devs said they were Day One patched but I'm still worried

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I didn't buy Prey because I still need to finish Persona 5 and then play Near A Tomato.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Ometeotl posted:

Near A Tomato.

:geno:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

a good post

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Palpek posted:

Prey is really good, like really loving good. However if somebody didn't like the demo then I don't know if the full release is for them. However however - apparently the PC version controls way better than the console ones, runs like butter and has a better UI and stuff so that might make a difference. I'm playing k+m and it's all good.

Well f. Control issues aside, the demo didn't really wow me in anyway.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Palpek posted:

I haven't tried the demo but I'm really interested in Prey just going by the setting, atmosphere, and the promise of it being basically System Shock again. What makes it so good?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The Darksiders 3 gameplay looks like straight up garbage. Somehow they decided it would be a good idea to take a series known for ludicrously hefty weapons and make the main character use a wimpy little whip.

Like I guess whips can be interesting weapons but you really need to emphasize the *SNAP* and make it look like it loving hurts and the Darksiders whip just looks like it's gently brushing the enemies.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

The Darksiders 3 gameplay looks like straight up garbage. Somehow they decided it would be a good idea to take a series known for ludicrously hefty weapons and make the main character use a wimpy little whip.

Like I guess whips can be interesting weapons but you really need to emphasize the *SNAP* and make it look like it loving hurts and the Darksiders whip just looks like it's gently brushing the enemies.

It's also pre alpha and looks pretty much like it was hastily put together due to the leak. I think it was a bad idea to put it out, but I'm not going to be terribly fussed about it.

• Locked thread