Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Final campaign mission is terrible. All the enemy units have a much larger sight radius than your own units so unless you're constantly babysitting your forces then they'll just sit there and get murdered by enemy heavy machine gun blobs. And since you're required to split up your forces it just turns into a big game of whack-a-mole trying to force your idiot space babies to return fire since they won't do it themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
i thought the persistent fleet you slowly built up in gothic armada was cool at first but in the end, it was one of the major reasons why i didn't put more time into that title.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

teepo posted:

i thought the persistent fleet you slowly built up in gothic armada was cool at first but in the end, it was one of the major reasons why i didn't put more time into that title.

What happens? Do enemy numbers scale depending on your fleet size, so having a maxed out armada means you face ungodly numbers of enemy ram ships?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Over all I thought the campaign was okay. It did pretty much feel like the whole campaign was designed to introduce you to every factions units for the sole purpose of multiplayer but it had its moments. The Orks missions were pretty entertaining. Also this is 40K so lol if you think a good story will ever be a thing.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Campaign was alright until I got to the final boss. Holy poo poo is that fight complete bullshit on hard, still haven't beaten it.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Comrayn posted:

gently caress that and gently caress "progression"

I think aesthetic progression is a good and cool feature? I'd like it if character portraits/mastery skins were somewhat rare and indicated someone actually played that thing well/a lot, rather than being something that basically everybody has.

The fact that a few gameplay-relevant things are XP-gated is of course ridiculous, but in practice the most relevant unlock happens at level 3 anyway, which you can often get in literally 1 campaign mission.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

BadLlama posted:

Over all I thought the campaign was okay. It did pretty much feel like the whole campaign was designed to introduce you to every factions units for the sole purpose of multiplayer but it had its moments. The Orks missions were pretty entertaining. Also this is 40K so lol if you think a good story will ever be a thing.

The best part of the campaign so far is the voice acting on Gorgutz in mission.... 8? when he's trying to be sneaky and quiet. Still wish they'd gone with Bluddflagg :shobon:

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I don't care much about multiplayer and never had, not with DoW not with SC or AoE (ok back then I did play fun matches at LAN sessions, but thats about it).

In that regard DoW3 seems to do okayish for me, I am very glad about the general audio-visual desing which stays true to what relic once delivered before the THQ poo poo. However I'm really disappointed by so many design decisions like the static camera, the awful on-screen unit selection and the overall interface mess that contradicts what you actually need to do in this game... even the main menu selection stuff is an entire UI/UX fuckup.

The A.I. is abhorrent within direct confrontatation (thankfully the pathfinding kind of works okay) and the inability to control different stances is a huge letdown. On the other hand there are so much abilities and poo poo you need to learn and care for, that the game itself ends up as clusterfuck micro/macro and doens't really know where it should be.

It really is a mixed bag. I guess I'll go through the campaign and then uninstall it forever.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

peer posted:

The best part of the campaign so far is the voice acting on Gorgutz in mission.... 8? when he's trying to be sneaky and quiet. Still wish they'd gone with Bluddflagg :shobon:

I can't decide if I like the Ork missions or the Imperial space station PA announcer better in terms of humor - both are pretty darn funny.

If you are interested in learning more about the artifact... report for summary punishment.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Frozenfries posted:

I play only Eldar pretty much and have lots of tips!

-The best doctrine is the Wraithlords Webway Gate doctrine. It is ridiculous. It gives Webways health regen, but also allows them to relocate from Tier 1, and at a reduced time. The cooldown is 10 seconds. Hotkey a webway and warp it with your army while on the move. This turns Eldar into a rapidly moving army of death that are incredibly hard to catch. I have completely dominated matches with this doctrine as I can maintain early game control and have extremely powerful map presence.

Holy crap played someone with the webway gate doctrine and it was a massacre... Also Tacs with flames wiping out my blob...

The webway gate doctrine being locked behind lvl 8 wraithkinight really sucks. Its an amazing doctrine.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Exmond posted:

Holy crap played someone with the webway gate doctrine and it was a massacre... Also Tacs with flames wiping out my blob...

The webway gate doctrine being locked behind lvl 8 wraithkinight really sucks. Its an amazing doctrine.

Just equip the relevant hero and select it as your command doctrine? That unlocks at level 3, which you get very rapidly.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Fetterkey posted:

Just equip the relevant hero and select it as your command doctrine? That unlocks at level 3, which you get very rapidly.

It's a early game focused doctrine locked behind a nine point character, so not sure about that. Unless it removes the "must be deployed" rule

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's a early game focused doctrine locked behind a nine point character, so not sure about that. Unless it removes the "must be deployed" rule

half of the doctrines on elites do not require the guys to be deployed

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
Correct. It unlocks at level 3 and is a Command Doctrine - which means you need to elite in your loadout, but not deployed.

At level 8 you can use it in your doctrine loadout without the elite.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Frozenfries posted:

Correct. It unlocks at level 3 and is a Command Doctrine - which means you need to elite in your loadout, but not deployed.

At level 8 you can use it in your doctrine loadout without the elite.

What Elite loadouts are you guys finding most effective? The super walkers seem great in team games but dubious in 1v1, and it's often hard for me to strike a good balance of stuff for different periods in the game.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
for 1v1 you pretty much want your 2 point hero, then your 3 or 4, and the game should be over before you get your next one

if you do get another, make sure it is low cost

for 3v3, get one of the two titans if you plan for it to take forever, a 2-4 point one for the first engagement, then what ever floats your boat

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

for 1v1 you pretty much want your 2 point hero, then your 3 or 4, and the game should be over before you get your next one

if you do get another, make sure it is low cost

for 3v3, get one of the two titans if you plan for it to take forever, a 2-4 point one for the first engagement, then what ever floats your boat

If you do want to play the long game though in 1v1, You having a titan vs them not having one is a pretty big game changer if the match has not been decided yet.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Nasgate posted:

If you do want to play the long game though in 1v1, You having a titan vs them not having one is a pretty big game changer if the match has not been decided yet.

While that is true, most 1v1 games are decided in the first ten minutes in my experience unless you can pull off some real tricks.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Wraithlord is 7.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
3v3's have been so god damned stale-matey that a friend and I try and take both titans (if we're playing Orks or SM). It takes forever to actually get to that point but we can actually finish a drat game by then.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Kanos posted:

Wraithlord is 7.

Still, waiting that long for an elite is pretty rough in 1v1

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012

Fetterkey posted:

What Elite loadouts are you guys finding most effective? The super walkers seem great in team games but dubious in 1v1, and it's often hard for me to strike a good balance of stuff for different periods in the game.

Depends on what my gameplan is. If I'm going for hard hitting early aggression, I'll switch to a 2 pointer, 4 pointer and a 7 or so, though at this point I always have the Wraithlord for my final elite due to the warp gate doctrine. At least for Eldar, Striking Scorpions are super powerful and can be used with Banshees to wreck poo poo really easily in the early game, so I stick to it. I'm a hyper aggressive player though.

Blowing up a shield generator gives you an Elite Point btw. Kind of a heads up as you can snipe them pretty easily with good team work in the big matches, so you can use it as a way to get your big hitters out before the enemy has a chance to go anti-vehicle.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Patch incoming on Monday: https://community.dawnofwar.com/discussion/12003/monday-is-patchday#latest

Community Update: May 4, 2017 5. MAI - KAT_RE Hi everyone!

With one week – and millions of bodies[https://www.dawnofwar.com] – behind us, we want to say a huge thanks to each of you for joining us on the battlefield of Dawn of War III. After years of development behind the scenes, it’s a thrill to see you dive back into the universe, whether you’re ripping humies limb from limb, or are bringing down the hammer upon filthy xenos!

So, what happens now? Well, our work doesn’t stop just because the game is out. We’ve been busy poring over all of your feedback[community.dawnofwar.com] and sharing your gameplay videos around the studio. Now that the game is in your hands, we’re excited to let you play a role in how it evolves. Welcome to the team!

To that end, we’ve got some upcoming news for you below with more to come next week.

Patch

On Monday, we’ll get the ball rolling with our first patch. This will address some of the bugs and issues you’ve flagged with us (so long, invisible Bonesinger!) but will also include the addition of a Surrender option in Multiplayer. We give special props to those players who chase a comeback to the bitter end, but we certainly want to give you the option to concede. If you surrender, you’ll receive Skulls and experience as if you lost the match. Check back on Monday for the full patch notes!

Servers

On Tuesday, we’re taking aim at some of the input lag being reported. Thanks for your patience on this, and for sending in your feedback. We have servers in multiple regions around the world, but we've found that some players aren't connecting to the servers closest to them. On Tuesday, we'll start to refine which servers specific regions connect to based on latency data from the first week of play. We’re going to keep an eye on this and tune it over time.

Balance

Later this month, we’re rolling out our first balance patch. It’s too early to give specifics but right now we’re looking carefully at units that players are skipping over (looking at you, Tactical Marines…), abilities that seem harder to counter (ahem… Zapnoggin’s teleport), and the factors that affect whether you can come back from a loss in an early match skirmish (how escalation phases are working). Now’s the perfect time to let us know what you’re seeing, and how you’re playing. Striking the right balance takes time, but your feedback is really helpful. We’re watching, reading and listening. Keep it up!

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
buff eldar

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Liu posted:

buff eldar

Normalise eldar, half their stuff is garbage and the other half are the best units in the game.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Liu posted:

buff eldar

I could use a buff on my micro abilities...

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

For my ork 3v3 I take gorgotuz cause hes a solid tank, mega nobs because they are pretty sweet, and then the DPS titan to end the game. The fact that the ork one can reinforce is pretty sweet, just keep a blob of nobs around it to protect it from melee and spam reinforce on them.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I'm really not sure what elites I should take when I play Eldar(I only play 3v3). I feel like I'm too vulnerable early game if I don't bring Striking Scorpions. I like the Warp Spiders for my mid-game elite. And then finally the shooting wraith titan thing for my endgame elite. But this leaves me with 2 Elite units and only 1 hero Elite, which seems to have some problems.

Space Marines my elites are pretty well set: Diomedes, Terminator squad, Knight Paladin.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
They really need to do something about late game resources, like MASSIVELY increase upkeep or something, if you've just wiped out the other teams army there should be some opportunity to regain ground but most of the time they're floating several thousand of both so they just rebuild in a minute.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Artum posted:

They really need to do something about late game resources, like MASSIVELY increase upkeep or something, if you've just wiped out the other teams army there should be some opportunity to regain ground but most of the time they're floating several thousand of both so they just rebuild in a minute.

CoH balanced this out not only with reduced res but also unit experience gain. Your three star rifleman squad is way, way better than fresh ones, so it's actually a blow to lose them.

I think they really just need to bring down the bonuses you get from escalation phases. By the end you are getting almost 300% of base with point upgrades, it's nuts.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

DreamShipWrecked posted:

CoH balanced this out not only with reduced res but also unit experience gain. Your three star rifleman squad is way, way better than fresh ones, so it's actually a blow to lose them.

I think they really just need to bring down the bonuses you get from escalation phases. By the end you are getting almost 300% of base with point upgrades, it's nuts.

Without that 300% bonus you'd never be able to afford more than a few vehicles here and there. I personally love the SM Tank Line endgame so I'd be sad to see that go.

Maybe apply the escalation bonus more to power than to whatever they called the other resourse? That way you aren't floating 3-4k by the end of a major battle if you aren't able to keep up production while also microing, but still have decent power income.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 5, 2017

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Khisanth Magus posted:

Without that 300% bonus you'd never be able to afford more than a few vehicles here and there. I personally love the SM Tank Line endgame so I'd be sad to see that go.

Maybe apply the escalation bonus more to power than to whatever they called the other resourse? That way you aren't floating 3-4k by the end of a major battle if you aren't able to keep up production while also microing, but still have decent power income.

Thats probably the dumbest thing about escalation, you can buy t2 but its an absolute trap before phase 2 because the power gains are absolutely non existent so you cant actually afford a vehicle.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Artum posted:

Thats probably the dumbest thing about escalation, you can buy t2 but its an absolute trap before phase 2 because the power gains are absolutely non existent so you cant actually afford a vehicle.

Hoarding all of your power to bring out a quick dreadnaught can be pretty game changing if your opponent has no way to counter it.

I've occasionally used that tactic, but it relies a bit on luck because the timing is iffy. You are severely gimping your self by not using any power you can get away with, but dropping a dread into the middle of a battle when your opponent has no way to deal with it can swing things massively.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

The Land Speeder rush is a somewhat less all-in version of the Dreadnought drop - while Land Speeders can be taken down by massed normal shooting thanks to their low HP, they still have vehicle armor, can solo LPs/gen farms, and are great for killing retreating units.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Things that counter vehicles are available earlier and for (usually) no power cost. So rushing a vehicle almost always get's me nowhere.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'd support maybe lowering req income a tad but lowering power income would be loving garbage. If you're not basically AFKing power is insanely tight and rare even in super endgame and I've had games where I've floated 2k+ req and never gotten above a 400 power float despite basically neglecting my macro for upwards of several minutes.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
If anything give the basic anti tank stuff a buff and make it cost some power, Las marines take like 4 squads all being completely ignored by the enemy to actually kill something.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Artum posted:

If anything give the basic anti tank stuff a buff and make it cost some power, Las marines take like 4 squads all being completely ignored by the enemy to actually kill something.

I honestly don't know what they were thinking with lascannons in this game. They are nowhere near the lascannons in previous games(and tabletop).

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Khisanth Magus posted:

I honestly don't know what they were thinking with lascannons in this game. They are nowhere near the lascannons in previous games(and tabletop).

They made the annihilator ones work as intended because it working like that on the tank was utterly useless but for some reason they've stuck with it on las marines, I mean for fucks sake it works for shadow spectres because they can fly and fire on the move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Things that counter vehicles are available earlier and for (usually) no power cost. So rushing a vehicle almost always get's me nowhere.

What vehicle counters are available earlier? ASM swords soft counter vehicles but aren't great against speeders/Dreadnoughts, Shadow Spectres require you to tech them in, and Wraithguard/lascannons/Killa Kanz come out around the same time as vehicles. The best options available seem to be the Deathwatch squad (which can teleport out and then come back with a missile launcher instead of their flamer), and perhaps Tankbustaz? Usually even a single speeder creates a lot of "shock value" and lets me pick off isolated generators, though.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Agreed, though to be fair the lascannon has never really been portrayed all that consistently. In their "canonical" tabletop form, they have the same rate of fire as most other anti-tank weapons (missile launcher, multi-melta, etc.) but are better against Terminators and other things with 2+ saves.

In Dawn of War II they have a huge charge time relative to other AT weapons and they have to set up, but they have more range and a slow effect when they hit their targets.; in Space Marine, the lascannon is basically a generic video game sniper rifle (!!!). In this one the Annihilator lascannon seems quite like the tabletop, while the infantry lascannon fires off a bunch of quick pulses that don't do very much with each shot and are specialized against skimmers (?) - which seems to fit the role of a multi-laser more than a lascannon, honestly.

Interestingly, there's a doctrine that gives you a charged shot which slows and debuffs the target, similar to the old DoWII lascannon; my headcanon is that the Devastators are firing on some reduced power setting but can switch back to full power when they do their charged attack. Still weird, though not as silly as the sniper rifle lascannon from Space Marine.

The other 40k weapon that never seems to get portrayed consistently is the meltagun - in Eternal Crusade it's a flamethrower, in Space Marine it's a super shotgun, in Dawn of War II it's a low to mid range beam weapon with a moderate rate of fire. Ironically, the least impressive version of this would probably be the tabletop, where meltaguns were once described as having no visual projectile or muzzle flash at all - they just make a really loud wooshing sound and the target catches on fire or blows up.

• Locked thread