Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Rygar201 posted:

If I like Li-Ming in this game, and Lux in league, will I like Chromie? She looks like a similar Land All Your Skillshots for Big Burst hero

Chromie is a hero that you either go big or do nothing with. She has none of Li Mings slipperyness and needs to wind up everything. Against a comp with no dive she will clean house, but any pressure makes her fold right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Out of my last like 20 games I haven't seen anyone playing Cassia, does no one like her or something? I played her a bit recently and she's fun, was just weird to me

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

If I like Li-Ming in this game, and Lux in league, will I like Chromie? She looks like a similar Land All Your Skillshots for Big Burst hero

Her shots are a bit harder to land but they have longer range and you don't have to worry about creeps blocking you. She also has a lot more utility with stasis mines and Slowing Sands which ruuules. Being able to permanently lock down an entrance/exit during a team fight or block a route to an objective is crazy powerful.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Cassia? She's decent. But aside from her blind, she doesn't do too much to differentiate herself from the norm. If the other team has lots of summonses / AAs / TLV / Samuro, then I could see her.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 5, 2017

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Boy does nailing 2+ people with Sulfuras Smash feel so good

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Cassia is good but she's a somewhat squishy medium/short range assassin. It's very easy to use Fend wrong so a lot of people seem to underestimate her damage.

Probably doesn't help that a large part of the playerbase probably has no idea who she is supposed to be.

I'd be more inclined to play her if she had some better skins.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Basically never use Fend unless chasing, stutter step, take the aoe on D and combo it with your blind. The level 1 cleave is hilariously OP. She's a very good hero

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

My brother and I duo queue Li Li/Cassia and demolish people.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Cassia is good but she's a somewhat squishy medium/short range assassin. It's very easy to use Fend wrong so a lot of people seem to underestimate her damage.

Probably doesn't help that a large part of the playerbase probably has no idea who she is supposed to be.

She has a nice wonderwoman skin. Cassia owns and fend+blind shits out damage. Ball Lightning is one of the best ults in the game, and at level 20 it's obscene.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I was playing Morales last night and found myself wishing she had some sort of pushing or sieging ability, like a talent to make her grenade leave a gas trail or something. I recall someone said she's on the update list, so I'm hoping they diversify her a bit more rather than just better defensive stuff. Just something to feel like you have a little more control over the match.

Also I need to pick the bus more. It's fun when it works, and the other ult often gets wasted anyway.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 5, 2017

Toothy
Jan 30, 2006

There's treasure everywhere!
I'll use the dropship to escape, if up against a chaser like tracer or genji. Can't depend on peel in QM.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Have the Medivac drop off some Marines/Firebats when it comes to pick you up.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

chumbler posted:

I was playing Morales last night and found myself wishing she had some sort of pushing or sieging ability, like a talent to make her grenade leave a gas trail or something. I recall someone said she's on the update list, so I'm hoping they diversify her a bit more rather than just better defensive stuff. Just something to feel like you have a little more control over the match.

Also I need to pick the bus more. It's fun when it works, and the other ult often gets wasted anyway.

You could always take Irradiate at level 7 and just keep healing one of the melee minions in your minion wave. It's not fast or efficient, but it gets the job done (assuming the enemy team doesn't bother to send someone to your lane to murder you).

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Chromie talk: I love going Q build. Level 1614 CDR and level 20 18 double shots mean the enemy team can't win drawn-out fights. Since Q distance is farther than W distance, it's a safer build too.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Nephzinho posted:

But then you're playing Medivh.

I've seen some really great Medivh players combo well with Azmo, Tyrande, and Chromie for vision snipes, or some hair-trigger reactions with protection to eat up.

But that's also kinda in the same boat as TLV or Aba, great players pull off amazing plays and really add more than what you lose, but other players really leave you feeling the game is a 4v5.

edit: Medivac for Morales also works pretty well as a poor man's iceblock and can also be used as a great trolling tool to screw over a team you're angry at by medivacing them right into danger, or abandoning that one rear end in a top hat while you fly away.

Not sure how I'd feel about Morales getting a bit more solo potential. That's kinda the trade off and what makes her feel unique, but I've also stopped queuing as her in less than a 3 stack just because of how frustrating it is to see from the 2 minute mark you're gonna lose because no one will go to lanes and you really can't go soak by yourself.
Plus it's frustrating enough seeing a healer go DPS build and ignore basic toolkit stuff, I don't know if I want to see another viable damage build/solo support.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 5, 2017

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

BrianBoitano posted:

Chromie talk: I love going Q build. Level 1614 CDR and level 20 18 double shots mean the enemy team can't win drawn-out fights. Since Q distance is farther than W distance, it's a safer build too.

I feel like Timewalker's Pursuit at 1 is almost required no matter what angle you go. Mana regen and spell power and vision? Sign me up.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

I feel like Timewalker's Pursuit at 1 is almost required no matter what angle you go. Mana regen and spell power and vision? Sign me up.

Nah, Chromie mana issues are really easy to manage even if you're lobbing Q's on CD the entire game. You should really be saving your W for combos and stuns only, high damage Q's make up the bulk of your reason for picking Chromie. Other heroes have vision tools, in this game you very often don't need vision to know where you opponent is - if you want it to check a bush just check it with your Q.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That, and CDR at 14 gets such good value with flat damage boost from lvl 1 quest.

I feel like a "gains, bro" dude but for dps

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Besides, you want Möbius Loop for more spammable Dragon's Breaths.

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.
I actually go time trap build a lot of the time on Chromie, especially if there's stealth. Good time traps can absolutely wreck people, especially if you have the reaction time or were waiting for it so you can drop a W-Q combo on them right as it ends.
Also, halving the cooldown on time trap and giving it a 50% (!) slow for 4 seconds is bananas, even more so if you take triple time trap at 20. You can zone out the other team and cover retreats, all while still doing good damage if you land your shots.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I usually take chromie in maps with channels like tributes or altars so I like Dragon's Eye. That, plus I'm not sure if windups become a limiting factor where you lose potential Qs because you're weaving Ws.

Disclaimer: I'm a bad

E: vvv hmm. Malf roots + ETC mosh + Cassia + AOE mage (Jaina probs) + flex sounds pretty good to me. That's a case where Cassia would outshine others, theoretically. Better yet those picks aren't competitively banned or picked so a TL group had a chance of building the comp easily.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 5, 2017

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Regarding Cassia: If you're teamed with an ETC, specced out Fend + Mosh Pit will just loving melt the other team, it's glorious.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

siotle posted:

I actually go time trap build a lot of the time on Chromie, especially if there's stealth. Good time traps can absolutely wreck people, especially if you have the reaction time or were waiting for it so you can drop a W-Q combo on them right as it ends.
Also, halving the cooldown on time trap and giving it a 50% (!) slow for 4 seconds is bananas, even more so if you take triple time trap at 20. You can zone out the other team and cover retreats, all while still doing good damage if you land your shots.

Playing games with traps means you're saving CDs/giving attention to something people usually don't wander into unless they're already chasing you. Just throw everything into the fight, unless you can KO whoever is in it you're probabl better off running away than actually attacking whoever is coming out of the trap if they're not being harassed by the rest of your team. If there is a Zera/Val/Sam you probably shouldn't take Chromie.

Bogart posted:

Besides, you want Möbius Loop for more spammable Dragon's Breaths.

Is this serious? Loop is pretty actively bad, it lowers your overall burst potential.

BrianBoitano posted:

I usually take chromie in maps with channels like tributes or altars so I like Dragon's Eye. That, plus I'm not sure if windups become a limiting factor where you lose potential Qs because you're weaving Ws.

Dragon's Eye pushes Chromie's burst damage over the top when it comes to R > W > Q'ing someone to death from full health.

e; Looking at hotslogs, there is a build that does Breathing/Talons at 1/4 instead of Compounding/Piercing. Rest of the build looks the same. Might make Chromie's damage a bit more consistent outside of the usual feast or famine where you either take off a half health bar or nothing. Still, personally in the Breathing/Talons build I'd probably just play Lunara or some other hero.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 5, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Trip report: Thrall still shits damage. :thumbsup:

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Nephzinho posted:

But then you're playing Medivh.

I had the weirdest match last night. Towers of Doom with Medivh on my team. He told us right at the beginning that it was his first time ever on the hero. New player of the lowest win rate hero in the game sounds damning, right? So I pretty much resigned myself to a painful loss. But the guy was actually good, to the surprise of the rest of us. Good enough that he was better than a lot of people I've seen who have already sunk time into the character. Certainly better than I've ever been on Medivh. He wasn't flawless, but he certainly pulled his weight way way more than the rest of us had anticipated, and we won fairly easily with 20 HP or so left on our core. Certainly was a pleasant surprise.

On the topic of Cassia, I've been playing her lately and I really like her a lot. She feels like she has actual build diversity, though that's something Heroes seems to be getting better at overall. Based on the enemy teams, I can find effectiveness in speccing for javelin, fend, blind, or auto-attacking. The only talents that I rarely change are at four and ten, Plate of the Whale is just too goddamn useful most times. I actually build her for Fend least of all, though I know that's one of her most popular ones. It certainly can be good but at least when I'm QMing it often seems to situational to put all my power in that dive.

Finally, I have an annoying display bug on the new police hovercycles. One of the sets of flashing lights just floats about two feet in the air off the side of the right fin. I've repaired my game, updated my graphics drivers, hosed around with settings. Nothing seems to change it. I haven't seen anyone else commenting on it so I assume it's not common but drat it's annoying.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I like playing medivh. He is very good early game, so it takes some of the pressure off. Not that I've ever had anyone complain about me picking him, since I pretty much only play with 2+ friends. If you're having a bad day with skillshots and missing your Qs you might as well quit, though.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Horrify/Haunt really worked out for Synergy's Gul'dan as they continually were unable to engage at range. I especially appreciated the keep push at the end of the game where Gul'dan was (rightly) very cautious about getting too close to the enemy team and subsequently couldn't do any damage without risking being caught by Entomb.

I wonder what ability would have helped here. 🤔

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
watching "pro" hots and lol

please shift queue a move order when you mount up so you aren't just watching yourself mount or worse, breaking your mount cast. don't be a pro player and just sit there. ty.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Horrify/Haunt really worked out for Synergy's Gul'dan as they continually were unable to engage at range. I especially appreciated the keep push at the end of the game where Gul'dan was (rightly) very cautious about getting too close to the enemy team and subsequently couldn't do any damage without risking being caught by Entomb.

I wonder what ability would have helped here. 🤔

Here's my hot take: I would rather a player take a "sub-optimal" talent or heroic or whatever that they are reasonably confident they can get decent use out of than have them blindly conform to the meta and suck with it. Not specifically about Gul'dan, but my thoughts on the discussion from yesterday.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Fuzz posted:

Trip report: Thrall still shits damage. :thumbsup:

Is the stun ult still the go to or has that changed since several months ago?

For Malf, Twilight Dream is something I am seeing a lot of. How is it best used?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Her master skin and the pirate one own and you're wrong.

Cassia's real fun but yeah, only take her against a team with at least one heavy AA damage dealer, and try to take her alongside another source of blinds.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mind over Matter posted:

Here's my hot take: I would rather a player take a "sub-optimal" talent or heroic or whatever that they are reasonably confident they can get decent use out of than have them blindly conform to the meta and suck with it. Not specifically about Gul'dan, but my thoughts on the discussion from yesterday.

True, Minrad being the one to say try RoD makes me take the recommendation seriously and I have given it a shot if the comp/map made it seem attractive.

This brawl is fun. The last choke of the payload is a ridiculous pile on.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

ToastyPotato posted:

Is the stun ult still the go to or has that changed since several months ago?

For Malf, Twilight Dream is something I am seeing a lot of. How is it best used?

Earthquake is insane and a lot better than Fissure I think. The area it covers is just bonkers huge

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
Speaking of pro hotdogs, what are some good streams people can watch to pick up advanced tips? Being a MOBA I just automatically assume every single streamer is a huge rear end in a top hat with an awful stream, regardless of their skill level.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Holy lol, just got all-Hammer during the Hanamura brawl. Felt like I was playing an old-school brood war TvT.

Filipino Freakout
Mar 20, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Grubby is anti-rear end in a top hat and tries to answer every question from viewers.

Speaking of which, I asked him today and he said RoD is meme-tier. Let's never speak of it again.

Toothy
Jan 30, 2006

There's treasure everywhere!
Grubby.

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.

Nephzinho posted:

Playing games with traps means you're saving CDs/giving attention to something people usually don't wander into unless they're already chasing you. Just throw everything into the fight, unless you can KO whoever is in it you're probabl better off running away than actually attacking whoever is coming out of the trap if they're not being harassed by the rest of your team. If there is a Zera/Val/Sam you probably shouldn't take Chromie.
I play a lot of QM, so avoiding Zera/Val/Sam is usually not an option. To be honest, if I have to play a mage into a stealthy I'll pick Chromie every time because her level 1 reveal is amazing (also prevents her from ever running out of mana AND isn't that far behind the other quest talents in terms of damage), her time trap is great for peeling for yourself, and her ice block lasts 7 seconds which is ridiculous.

Aggressive trap placement can pay off, especially on maps like Infernal Shrines or Cursed Hollow where objectives have choke points. If you know they're coming from a specific direction, traps become mini-temporal loops - and if you take Chrono Sickness, your teammates can capitalize off the 50% slow. If you take Andorhal Anomaly, you can completely zone off the entire enemy team, since nobody wants to engage with such a massive slow. (There's also nothing quite like the rapid shncks as all three of your time traps get activated.)

Utility Chromie isn't always correct, but it's a lot of fun. It's even been played in HGC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wuW2fsn56s

Nephzinho posted:

e; Looking at hotslogs, there is a build that does Breathing/Talons at 1/4 instead of Compounding/Piercing. Rest of the build looks the same. Might make Chromie's damage a bit more consistent outside of the usual feast or famine where you either take off a half health bar or nothing. Still, personally in the Breathing/Talons build I'd probably just play Lunara or some other hero.
I almost always take Bronze Talons. Piercing sands can be really great in specific situations, but Talons is always excellent. It improves your PvE significantly, adds a significant chunk of burst to a temporal loop combo, and is a reliable source of damage even if you miss your Q.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Yeah Grubby is pretty much the best streamer to watch to learn the game. He is informative, answers tons of questions every stream, has a regular schedule, and has the lowest salt levels. His chat room also has commands for builds for characters, though they are not always up to date, and obviously, looking at a build will not tell you how to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Filipino Freakout posted:

Grubby is anti-rear end in a top hat and tries to answer every question from viewers.

Speaking of which, I asked him today and he said RoD is meme-tier. Let's never speak of it again.

I love grubby. So much good knowledge