Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Skippy McPants posted:

Normally I'd call this PR posturing, but Arkane is so good at making their games reactive to player action that I'm super curious what he's referencing here.

Rinkles posted:

Shawn Elliot is usually a "no bullshit" sort of guy.

Follow-up:

https://twitter.com/shawnelliott/status/860564616342065152

(Hi.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sorry i called you a dweeboid seth

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Rinkles posted:

Follow-up:

(Hi.)

Senpai noticed us, look sharp.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mindblast posted:

Yo. with a 970. Got no problems at all.

That's my setup, fuk yeah

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
shawn: send me free stuff

singateco
Jan 28, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I certainly hope so, I was pissed when I found out I skipped all the portals in Bioshock Infinite because not opening them was supposed give you the good ending.

lol I'm not the only person who did this

I'm enjoying Prey with 2 hours in. I couldn't find the way to someplace you're supposed to go, so I used the GLOO cannon to make stairway and broke a window to get in. Game's awesome.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I do appreciate that the game at least somewhat spreads its wings in terms of weapon design. I love Bioshock dearly and all, but the weapons were very standard (melee-pistol-shotgun-machine gun-grenade launcher - rocket launcher). Having the first few weapons include a glue gun and a Nerf crossbow is a good departure.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

singateco posted:

lol I'm not the only person who did this

I'm enjoying Prey with 2 hours in. I couldn't find the way to someplace you're supposed to go, so I used the GLOO cannon to make stairway and broke a window to get in. Game's awesome.

I used GLOO to get to the floor above the area you get your first neuromod. The conventional way is by fixing the elevators with the repair skill.

Also tried using it to dislocate heavy objects obstructing a doorway, and one actually budged, but not enough to squeeze through. I don't know if it was a freak accident that it moved at all.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
So I noticed that Prey isn't on the top sellers list which is unusual for a game like this. Am I being paranoid or is it not selling well? :ohdear: This is the System Shock 2 remake I've always wanted and it would be a shame if it flopped!

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I'm assuming the secret way to play that Shawn mentioned will be a no neuromods run. Someone should have one of those rattled out by the end of the week I reckon.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Making stairs with gloo is great. It's the sequel to the gravity gun we deserve. The stun gun is super useful too. I might take the suggestion of someone of dragging all the furniture in a level into a pile and recycle grenade it. I have a ton of materials except for minerals and I need them badly. I even have massive amounts of exotic material which is a skill pick that pays for itself quickly when you get the neuromod recipe.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
I seriously had no idea that this was a SS2-alike made by a bunch of Good Devs and not a sequel to that game I played for 20m in i dunno like 2011.

i'm online for like 18 hours a day and am def this game's demo, marketing done hosed up.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

So I noticed that Prey isn't on the top sellers list which is unusual for a game like this. Am I being paranoid or is it not selling well? :ohdear: This is the System Shock 2 remake I've always wanted and it would be a shame if it flopped!

Bethesda apparently marketed it like crap, just like doom, so it possibly will (they are rapidly looking like a company you don't want to be your publisher). There have been a huge number of other good games released recently too. Can't decide between this and horizon.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Gunder posted:

I'm assuming the secret way to play that Shawn mentioned will be a no neuromods run. Someone should have one of those rattled out by the end of the week I reckon.

There's an achievement for that though, seem like it's probably something that doesn't have a thing telling you to do it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah, Bethesda borked the marketing real bad. Just about the worst thing you can do for anything as long as you're even slightly confident that it's good is not promote it.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

Red Mundus posted:

On Steam, it hides the games you already own on the top seller list unless you click one of the two 'See More' options. It is #1 right now in both global and US.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Bogart posted:

Yeah, Bethesda borked the marketing real bad. Just about the worst thing you can do for anything as long as you're even slightly confident that it's good is not promote it.

Yeah, my roommate does pretty much nothing but play videogames and hadn't even heard of this when I told him I bought it yesterday.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Bogart posted:

Doesn't help that they named it after a completely unrelated mediocre shooter from a decade ago. Most people I have talked to had no idea it wasn't poo poo.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
i'll buy u a beer shawn.

Been watching streams of this since yesterday and it looks like a lot of fun actually. No idea where the sudden hate came from, I guess the demo or some poo poo?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm guessing the secret ending path will be avoiding killing any phantom or mimic that is possessing a human. only thing I can think of anyway.

oh also regarding the earlier nightmare chat I ran into him on the bridge (and killed him) and then later in the fabrication lab got the message from January about how it was attracted to my neuromods or whatever so I just hid under a desk for 2 mins and never saw it. so it doesn't seem to be dynamic as it's the same two spots the other poster saw him in. I do like his movement though, the bit where he crawls under the tunnel leading from the bridge to get at you was great

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Bethesda marketing seems to have no idea what they are doing. Doom had nothing released but bad looking footage that looked like everyone's worst fears until the Nvidia gameplay video like a day before hand. I thought this game was going to be great because I trusted Arkane and avoided all media to avoid spoilers but a lot of people I've talked to are surprised it's good.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The REAL Goobusters posted:

i'll buy u a beer shawn.

Been watching streams of this since yesterday and it looks like a lot of fun actually. No idea where the sudden hate came from, I guess the demo or some poo poo?

They only released demos for the console versions, which reportedly have terrible controls compared to mouse and keyboard. The PS4 version also had huge input lag in the demo. Meanwhile bethesda isn't sending out review copies, so no one was around to say "actually it's fine on PC." So all of the early impressions came from the weakest versions of the game, and bethesda inadvertently shot itself in the foot by not doing review copies.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Red Mundus posted:

Bluntly, these games don't sell great. But, there aren't many of these game period and I don't think Bethesda did a good job marketing the other Arkane games, so it's not a forgone conclusion. Bioshock eventually became a bestseller, and iirc started off a bit slow. That was partly because of the generational shift it represented, but the game had genuine wide appeal.

I think with good word of mouth this could eventually sell decently. From what I've played and read this game could be exceptional in ways the Dishonored games never quite managed.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
Weeks or months to try, so a playstyle you'd assume couldn't be done but somehow is or completely avoiding something that's thought to be necessary but isn't?

If I had to guess it would be avoiding primary story objective triggers so whatever the final narrative stuff is (which I have no idea about since I'm only in the Hardware area) it gets delivered with a 'really? you ended up here despite having no memories or guidance? What de heck?'

Or maybe no keycards / using doorcodes, so all doors must be routed around or opened with darts? Entamaphobia playthrough?

Maybe there's some way to (intro spoiler) break the glass without using the wrench, and then avoid ever adding an item to the inventory?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Rinkles posted:

Bluntly, these games don't sell great. But, there aren't many of these game period and I don't think Bethesda did a good job marketing the other Arkane games, so it's not a forgone conclusion. Bioshock eventually became a bestseller, and iirc started off a bit slow. That was partly because of the generational shift it represented, but the game had genuine wide appeal.

I think with good word of mouth this could eventually sell decently. From what I've played and read this game could be exceptional in ways the Dishonored games never quite managed.

I mean this is what happens when you delay reviews. It hurt Doom 2016 and it hurt Prey 2017.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Crabtree posted:

I mean this is what happens when you delay reviews. It hurt Doom 2016 and it hurt Prey 2017.

I was wondering what their stated reason was for the change. According to GameInformer:

quote:

At the time, Bethesda justified the delay by citing Doom's online components as the reason for the decision. "All three elements are important parts of the complete DOOM experience and are meant to be experienced as part of a complete package," the publisher told us. "As DOOM's SnapMap and multiplayer modes both require access to a server that won't be live prior to launch, review copies will arrive on launch day."

However, Bethesda now says it will continue applying the policy to the upcoming releases of Dishonored 2 and Skyrim Special Edition - both single-player only games. Bethesda says the reason is behind the decision is that "we want everyone, including those in the media, to experience our games at the same time."

Bethesda goes on to acknowledge that some gamers rely on reviews to help make their purchasing decisions, stating "...if that's the case we encourage you to wait for your favorite reviewers to share their thoughts."

Doesn't seem to have played out the way they hoped. In trying to have absolute control over the product, they've merely lost a lot of good will and convinced potential customers that they're untrustworthy. People are going to try and read reviews before buying a game to see if it's any good. If you directly stop that from happening, it's fair to assume you're trying to cover something up. Maybe that was actually the case with DH2 and the Skyrim remaster, but this game is great, well optimized, and appears to be suffering needlessly as the result of a dumb policy.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

This game is actually incredible.

I don't really have anything else to say.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This game seems alright. I'm not sure about the slow movement and combat but it's not like SS2 had amazing combat either. Another entry in what's turning out to be a very strong year for games.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Gunder posted:

https://twitter.com/ShawnElliott/status/860589304984326144

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I cannot wait to see the crazy rear end sequence breaking poo poo that people get up to in this game once it's been out for a bit. Every time I think I'm being clever and trying something that most games would be like 'haha no gently caress you' it actually works. Most times it turns out the devs anticipated that and they put something to reward you. I go through rooms I've been in half a dozen times except this time I look UP and there's some poo poo there waiting for me. Goddamn this is a good game.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

:eyepop:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Only a few hours in but I really like that the reason you keep waking up on the "same day" gets explained like, 20 minutes into the story instead of being some kind of massive twist. Reminds me of SOMA in that regard.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Prey is really good and no one knows about it outside this thread.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Only a few hours in but I really like that the reason you keep waking up on the "same day" gets explained like, 20 minutes into the story instead of being some kind of massive twist. Reminds me of SOMA in that regard.

I would say that I like it better, in that the whole your mind was saved til way in the future was treated as a big twist until 3/4ths of the way through, even though it was fairly obvious. Here they did away with that and left room for actual intrigue.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
A couple of keybinding issues aside and one or two strange bugs (I once had a -13 ammo in my pistol) this is a really fun, and really effective, mix of influences - you can see System Shock and Bioshock, of course, but also Half-Life and Deus Ex and even a little Portal and Alien Isolation. It's been a blast so far.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I would say that I like it better, in that the whole your mind was saved til way in the future was treated as a big twist until 3/4ths of the way through, even though it was fairly obvious. Here they did away with that and left room for actual intrigue.

for SOMA, i kinda meant more of the you're actually some kind of hosed up robot corpse thing, but yeah

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I was wondering what their stated reason was for the change. According to GameInformer:

Doesn't seem to have played out the way they hoped. In trying to have absolute control over the product, they've merely lost a lot of good will and convinced potential customers that they're untrustworthy. People are going to try and read reviews before buying a game to see if it's any good. If you directly stop that from happening, it's fair to assume you're trying to cover something up. Maybe that was actually the case with DH2 and the Skyrim remaster, but this game is great, well optimized, and appears to be suffering needlessly as the result of a dumb policy.

Some executive over at Zenimax thinks they're too big to care about playing by the rules and so far is likely unfortunately right. Even if this may eventually really bite them in the rear end to stop this kind of bullshit.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Can we just buy him an account and an "I make good games" title so he can post here directly

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Digirat posted:

Can we just buy him an account and an "I make good games" title so he can post here directly

Now that would be spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Actually yeah now that I think about it, it takes all of half a page for creeps to start posting really weird poo poo at them