Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

I agree. I'd make a Google spreadsheet that people can edit. Put everyone's SA name and current callsign on the sheet.

Then let people add callsign suggestions for other goons. Goons can vote on the ones they like the best. And after the votes are tallied, people have a new callsign!

Since it is a little extra hassle, Yooper can choose to add them to the game or not. Maybe only have them apply when we got to the next theater?

I've got a full list of everyone and can make a sheet up to let you guys edit it. Lemme do some digging on a good way to keep it organized and we can tweak it come theater time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Huh, maybe we should start fighting out ground battles with AK-47 Republic? At least for this theatre, it seems thematically appropiate...

Then again, that might also be too groggy...then again, our current actual ground battles are being fought with Phoenix Command.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Bacarruda posted:

Operation Golgotha has been approved, Hired Goons!

Briefing at 0600.

https://soundcloud.com/user-626960519/operation-golgotha-1
https://youtu.be/Om56tZTAvnc

e: fixed!

Yay, my plan now has a Bacarruda Briefing!

Just as a heads up, though, the youtube version cuts out the last fifteen seconds or so. Not important, but just saying.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Saw that come through today. Not sure why the Dictator would be purchasing high end cargo and luxury choppers. Interesting though.

Still working on the mission. Possibly tomorrow night, will try to give 4 hours notice before running it. Sunday at the latest.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yooper posted:

Not sure why the Dictator would be purchasing high end cargo and luxury choppers.

Why wouldn't he? I mean, I would if I was him.

He may have a plan to bail to a nice non-extradition country with some lithium and/or diamonds as a currency. We should keep an eye on those.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Gervasius posted:

Why wouldn't he? I mean, I would if I was him.

He may have a plan to bail to a nice non-extradition country with some lithium and/or diamonds as a currency. We should keep an eye on those.

No worries, friend. Our job was to help Von Hoff take over the country, not kill the old dictator. If he wants to run off somewhere far away that's no problem.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

No, see, let me tell you about how firing a BVR missile at a likely civilian-registered helicopter is a flawless idea with absolutely no possible negative effects.

Also I guess I'm already set as far as pilot backstories go. Hooray for effort paying off later unexpectedly!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

David Corbett posted:

No worries, friend. Our job was to help Von Hoff take over the country, not kill the old dictator. If he wants to run off somewhere far away that's no problem.

Hes not leaving with our diamonds :colbert:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

David Corbett posted:

We're mercenaries--helicopters full of diamonds, hard currency and ransomable VIPs are sort of our raison d'être.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

There's also the problem of someone (*cough*China*cough*) potentially using him as a rallying point for reactionaries at a later date.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Time to start shooting down every nominally "civilian" helicopter we see, right?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah, because Angolan airspace has just been FLOODED with civilian traffic recently.

Besides he tried to kill us, so I think it's only fair to return the favor.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

If detected on radar and flying a helicopter profile, make it a mandatory RoE rule to identify visually to obtain the model of helicopter.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

So just a thought that occurred to me, I really enjoyed the depth this mission length required in terms of planning and I'd like us to keep doing long form missions like this in the future.

That being said, it IS a daunting thing and it did take a lot longer than our usual planning phases. So I'd like to suggest maybe in the future if we have another 24 hour operation (I know you said you'd stick to shorter ones Yooper, it's your LP so your call but should you decide to do a longer one for any reason) perhaps instead of us all trying to fill the whole time we instead do a more a la carte planning phase with people providing strike mission plans and us voting on the 2 or 3 we like the most?

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

If detected on radar and flying a helicopter profile, make it a mandatory RoE rule to identify visually to obtain the model of helicopter.

I wouldn't bother with that, the only rotary wing assets we have seen in theatre have been military in nature. Besides, it's not as if Angolan airspace is a hive of civilian aviation traffic.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Renaissance Spam posted:

So just a thought that occurred to me, I really enjoyed the depth this mission length required in terms of planning and I'd like us to keep doing long form missions like this in the future.

That being said, it IS a daunting thing and it did take a lot longer than our usual planning phases. So I'd like to suggest maybe in the future if we have another 24 hour operation (I know you said you'd stick to shorter ones Yooper, it's your LP so your call but should you decide to do a longer one for any reason) perhaps instead of us all trying to fill the whole time we instead do a more a la carte planning phase with people providing strike mission plans and us voting on the 2 or 3 we like the most?

I'd like to try for the best of both worlds. I'm thinking maybe doing it in three 8 hour chunks instead. Then we can do phase 1, phase 2, phase 3. It's a bit more manageable for me and more people get to have mission input. Right now it's kind of unwieldy as it's tough to plan for a potential outcome that depends on something going right 23 hours earlier.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I'm late to the party, but sign me up for the pilot list! Same name and callsign.
Preferably EWAR or Recon, but if there aren't any I'll go with any jet.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Quinntan posted:

I wouldn't bother with that, the only rotary wing assets we have seen in theatre have been military in nature. Besides, it's not as if Angolan airspace is a hive of civilian aviation traffic.

If we're going down this route, we should probably at least demand they stand down and land before we blow them away with a Meteor.

Yooper posted:

I'd like to try for the best of both worlds. I'm thinking maybe doing it in three 8 hour chunks instead. Then we can do phase 1, phase 2, phase 3. It's a bit more manageable for me and more people get to have mission input. Right now it's kind of unwieldy as it's tough to plan for a potential outcome that depends on something going right 23 hours earlier.

If we do this, what about saying you can only submit a plan for one phase? I do like the idea of somehow getting multiple plans in just to get more people involved.

The other problem with this either way is that if the first phase guy wants to move planes around that might limit things later so we might need to exclude that for these kinds of ops.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

power crystals posted:

If we're going down this route, we should probably at least demand they stand down and land before we blow them away with a Meteor.

If we do this, what about saying you can only submit a plan for one phase? I do like the idea of somehow getting multiple plans in just to get more people involved.

The other problem with this either way is that if the first phase guy wants to move planes around that might limit things later so we might need to exclude that for these kinds of ops.

That's a pretty good idea. And yah, we'd have to make it so you don't poo poo too terribly on the next guy.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
If the Dictator were to try to escape via helicopter we should really force them to land so we can steal all his loot and really stick it in his face.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
It doesn't seem like there is any way of forcing a helicopter to land short of pulling a Goldeneye and finding an old Soviet nuclear weapon in orbit.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yooper posted:

Saw that come through today. Not sure why the Dictator would be purchasing high end cargo and luxury choppers. Interesting though.

Still working on the mission. Possibly tomorrow night, will try to give 4 hours notice before running it. Sunday at the latest.

This is just a cover story. I think a legendary african air mercenary is coming to get us. :ohdear: Old timers might remember Libya...

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 6, 2017

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

sparkmaster posted:

It doesn't seem like there is any way of forcing a helicopter to land short of pulling a Goldeneye and finding an old Soviet nuclear weapon in orbit.

Sure there is: "Land or we blow you out of the sky".

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Quinntan posted:

I wouldn't put it past this dickhead to try and have at least a last laugh by making us blow one of those helicopters out of the sky while it's loaded with orphans of war or some poo poo.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Kitfox88 posted:

I wouldn't put it past this dickhead to try and have at least a last laugh by making us blow one of those helicopters out of the sky while it's loaded with orphans of war or some poo poo.

That helicopter had rockets, you all saw it.

Edit: unrelated, Baloogan, would you ever considering adding these kinds of budget decisions to your game? Planes cost this much, air time costs this much, meteors cost this much, etc. Get the mercenary campaign officially supported :D

Loel fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 6, 2017

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Yooper posted:

Yeah I think this is a much better idea than mine.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Loadout issue. The Angolan radars are classified as a "Mobile" and not as a "Radar". So the Tornado ALARM BLK 1 will not fire on them. I can replace it with a Storm Shadow that will fire on the mobile radar.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Yooper posted:

Loadout issue. The Angolan radars are classified as a "Mobile" and not as a "Radar". So the Tornado ALARM BLK 1 will not fire on them. I can replace it with a Storm Shadow that will fire on the mobile radar.

Even if they're actively emitting? Weird. Well, as mentioned, you can switch out to the Storm Shadow.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
alarm blk 1 should be able to hit a mobile thats emitting

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah, that's weird as gently caress if it isn't able.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Baloogan posted:

alarm blk 1 should be able to hit a mobile thats emitting

Your new av is amazing.

All the missions with ALARM Blk 1 immediately RTB'd when assigned to Land Strike an Angolan Tin Shield radar. When attempting to F1 they would immediately return the "dropping target etc." in the message log.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Was it emitting at the time though?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Yes, I'll try to recreate it in a standalone.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Dandywalken posted:

Was it emitting at the time though?

An ALARM should be able to attack radars that aren't emitting at the time of launch.

The missile can be lofted with the main rocket motor, cut the motor, dangle from a parachute while it looks for the radar to turn back on, then it fires a secondary motor to make its final attack.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
sead patrol missions are used for 'hang out in this area shooting at radars' but it might just make it simpler to use the cruise missiles instead of the ARM

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Bacarruda posted:

An ALARM should be able to attack radars that aren't emitting at the time of launch.

The missile can be lofted with the main rocket motor, cut the motor, dangle from a parachute while it looks for the radar to turn back on, then it fires a secondary motor to make its final attack.

How is that weapon supposed to work in concept? Even with a parachute a missile can't possibly have a loft time of more then a few minutes. What kind of military shuts off its radar for five minutes and then turns it right back on?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

It must've been in the radar shadow when the mission fired. I ran it a second time and it worked, then a third time and it didn't. I'll just get it in the air then send it out to hurt things.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Yooper posted:

Your new av is amazing.

Muchas gracias, senor

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Still having issues with the ALARMS, will dig into it so more tomorrow but if I can't get it to be consistent then I'll swap to cruises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Yooper posted:

Still having issues with the ALARMS, will dig into it so more tomorrow but if I can't get it to be consistent then I'll swap to cruises.

Yooper, this is a completely random question.

Supposedly, the Taurus cruise missiles can ID and engage a target based on a 3D model of the target. Would it be possible to program the Tauruses to fly down the highways with an "engage any Buks you see" order? If they spot a Buk, would they be able to then peel off and make an attack?