Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hammerstein posted:

I have a Tharja, but she's a 4* with 42 attack which is not enough to take out the red sword fighter.

You do realize that Tharja has a blade tome, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hammerstein posted:

Well I better start leveling Linde. I guess once you have a bigger roster these challenges should be trivial.

tbh I basically throw my A team at all my problems. What took time was figuring out what my A team is and what skills should go on it

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Servaetes posted:

I'd like another Hector but I don't think I'm gonna a put money down. 13$ for a absolute sadface dogshit pull would suck butt

heh, i told myself i wasn't gonna spend any more money on fire emblem for a while but today was payday and I was weak and I got an Azura for my trouble so i'm not gonna complain

at least a full pull in this game is 12.99 and not 30 god drat dollars like it is in record keeper

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Grinding SP for Eldigan, around 1300 of it, 3/6 SP at a time :suicide:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

UHD posted:

double SP is still going and it racks up real fast at 6 sp/kill

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Hammerstein posted:

I have a Tharja, but she's a 4* with 42 attack which is not enough to take out the red sword fighter. Well I better start leveling Linde. I guess once you have a bigger roster these challenges should be trivial.
So what would happen if you danced onto Tharja so she can hit the red swordsman twice - then used a unit with reposition or drawback to get Olivia out of the way. Would that kill the red swordsman and the green mage?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

D A M A G E B O Y S

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Hammerstein posted:

I have a Tharja, but she's a 4* with 42 attack which is not enough to take out the red sword fighter. Well I better start leveling Linde. I guess once you have a bigger roster these challenges should be trivial.
So she's +attack nature? Let's see. She needs at least +3 Speed boost to double assuming she's not -speed, which puts her at 22x2 damage, she needs to deal 26 damage per attack to kill him, so a +2 Attack boost or a +4 anything else boost. If you have any seals that could help as well, my Tharja had +1 speed seal, which I actually didn't realize was exactly enough to let her double him at the time, lol

Also you have more than twice the number of total characters I have, and what looks like at least 6 or 7 times the number of 5*s I have, assuming that screenshot you posted is all of your 5*s and there weren't more beneath them

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Fritzler posted:

So what would happen if you danced onto Tharja so she can hit the red swordsman twice - then used a unit with reposition or drawback to get Olivia out of the way. Would that kill the red swordsman and the green mage?
This could also work, Olivia's attack aura brings her up to 27 damage. The key part is having the reposition/drawback

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

UHD posted:

It hasn't been talked about much in the thread, but if you plan on playing this game a lot it becomes really worth your time to develop a SP grinding team.

Mine is currently:
Clarine with Fear/Rehab/Imbue/Live to serve/Fortify Def 3
Azura with her base loadout +WOM
Either Eirika if I'm leveling an infantry or armor dude or a Hone Cav/Hone Flyer unit if I'm leveling one of those movement types.

This allows for me to take one unit and buff every stat on them, heal them a ton and dance them to get kills as quick as possible. With this setup most guys I'm grinding SP can get all 12/24 SP per battle even with WTD simply by sheer buff power. Even if you lack these specific characters making a similar setup using Olivia, Lissa, and Matthew who are all free characters. Just put rally Def or rally Res onto Matthew and go to town.

I have been milking the poo poo out of this double SP event.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Andrast posted:

You do realize that Tharja has a blade tome, right?

Yes, but the guy in the vid I linked below used a 4* Tharja to murder the red dude, but I don't understand where he gets the extra 4 points from. My Tharja is also 4*, +ATK and -DEF and is only sitting at 42. Maybe my newbie self is missing something here ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpKEyYOZsFI&t=366s

Nihilarian posted:

So she's +attack nature? Let's see. She needs at least +3 Speed boost to double assuming she's not -speed, which puts her at 22x2 damage, she needs to deal 26 damage per attack to kill him, so a +2 Attack boost or a +4 anything else boost. If you have any seals that could help as well, my Tharja had +1 speed seal, which I actually didn't realize was exactly enough to let her double him at the time, lol

Also you have more than twice the number of total characters I have, and what looks like at least 6 or 7 times the number of 5*s I have, assuming that screenshot you posted is all of your 5*s and there weren't more beneath them

Yes she's +ATK and has +6 Speed from Darting Blow 3.

Actually I have another row below that with Fae, Klein, Takumi, Titania and 2x Mist. But I guess my lucky rolls have by now far outstripped my understanding of the finer points of this game. I really enjoy it, but I still don't "get" a lot of things, so giving me plenty of 5* is like giving nukes to Trump...*oh wait*....

Fritzler posted:

None of my dancers are high level enough to survive any attack. So if I expose them they will get one-shotted either by Xander or the Lance Soldier.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 5, 2017

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Tharja's blade tome gets a damage boost based on the buffs she has. If she's got +4 Def, that's +4 damage. +4 Atk, effective +8 damage. Just give your team a couple of Hones and Fortifies, and she's set.

E: Hones/Fortifies are C-slot passive skills that buff a particular stat of adjacent allies at the start of the turn.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 5, 2017

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Hammerstein. Olivia has Hone Attack, that gives Tharja +4 ATK which translates to 8 extra damage from baseline.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Hammerstein posted:

Yes, but the guy in the vid I linked below used a 4* Tharja to murder the red dude, but I don't understand where he gets the extra 4 points from. My Tharja is also 4*, +ATK and -DEF and is only sitting at 42. Maybe my newbie self is missing something here ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpKEyYOZsFI&t=366s

Yes she's +ATK and has +6 Speed from Darting Blow 3.

Well I guess my lucky rolls have by now far outstripped my understanding of the finer points of this game. I really enjoy it, but I still don't "get" a lot of things, so giving me plenty of 5* is like giving nukes to Trump...*oh wait*....

None of my dancers are high level enough to survive any attack. So if I expose them they will get one-shotted either by Xander or the Lance Soldier.
Tharja's weapon is a Blade Tome, which adds a characters buffs to their damage. So in addition to the normal benefits, if you give Tharja a +4 Defense buff, she deals +4 damage per attack. Or, if you give her a +4 Attack buff, she deals +4 damage per attack (on top of the increased damage due to increased attack). That guy is using Olivia, who has a +4 Attack buff to everyone around her.

also, I actually completely forgot about Darting Blow, you should be fine

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 5, 2017

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Hammerstein posted:

Yeah, they shouldn't take any hits. But that's why you're going to dance Tharja with them, then use someone else to use reposition or draw back to get them out of the way so they can't be hit. But also listen to them about the blade tomes. ^^

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Thanks for the collective input goons, figured it out at last.

I overlooked that Olivia had an attack boost running, so I put that on my Olivia too (see red tome advice earlier). Then Tharja murdered the red and green nasties. Effie pivoted over Olivia and helped Hector take out the Blue. Hector tanked a hit from Xander, who in turn was taken to 1 (or so) HP by Effie next round and finished off by Hector. Now only gotta mop up the healer. :dance:

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 5, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Hammerstein posted:

Thanks for the collective input goons, figured it out at last.

I overlooked that Olivia had an attack boost running, so I put that on my Olivia too (see red tome advice earlier). Then Tharja murdered the red and green nasties. Effie pivoted over Olivia and helped Hector take out the Blue. Hector tanked a hit from Xander, who in turn was taken to 1 (or so) HP by Effie next round and finished off by Hector. Now only gotta mop up the healer. :dance:

nice

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Grand Hero battles are about picking off people while beating a quick retreat to bait them out of their dangerous starting positions. In general if you have Draw Back and a Dance you can beat them. Getting clever with the dudes you have available is kind of the fun part.

Also, RE: SP grinding. I have a team I call the Love Nest which is Olivia/Wrys/Lachesis and the first slot empty. It'll take any hero to 30 in like half an hour in the training tower. Lachesis is used mainly to soften up triangle disadvantages, since she does consistent low damage that'll get lvl 10-30 enemies into the single digits without killing them, while Wrys does the healing. I highly recommend making a level-up team like this because it's really fast and good and trying to level up full teams of lowbies like I did when I started was tedious and painful.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
I don't want to be part of any love nest that involves Wrys

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

N-thing the support team advice for making your life easier during either SP or exp grinding. Personally I run with Target Unit - Eirika - Olivia (or any dancer, really) - Azama

Eirika buffs the Unit for easier kills, Azama either uses Pain to whittle down enemies (handy because pain damage can't kill, and is an extremely low Mt weapon so he doesn't accidentally nuke units to death), tanks hits like a champ, or heals my wounded guy, and Olivia dances to ensure more consistent kills.

It makes raising units a lot simpler and tends to hold together all the way up to the ninth stratum or so.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

LightningSquid posted:

I don't want to be part of any love nest that doesn't involve Wrys

Same.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
I am tempted to give Azama Close Counter and Miracle to see how far i can tank with him.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Man I really hope I can pull someone off the golden week banner before it disappears. Though I only put 22 orbs into it so far so w/e.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

The armor quest is a lot more fun this time around, now that I have two Hectors. Went from probably the most frustrating thing I've done in this game to "wait until a map with mostly blue units pops up".

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Man I really hope I can pull someone off the golden week banner before it disappears. Though I only put 22 orbs into it so far so w/e.

I know the feeling, I've put 45 in there (two full pulls, 5 for a started pull that was entirely white and blue, which are the only colors I have 5* units in) and I just crunched the numbers and I think I could only possibly get like 15 more free orbs before the banner goes away unless they feel like giving new quests before the thing ends, which I doubt they will do. It just occurred to me I could have full pulled on that other one and I'd have just enough orbs to have a third full pull.

I almost wish I had the stomach to whale.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Do Swordbreaker and Quick Riposte stack?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

dragon enthusiast posted:

Do Swordbreaker and Quick Riposte stack?

Even if they did, they're both B slot so you can't have both.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

ChronoReverse posted:

Even if they did, they're both B slot so you can't have both.

Unless you put one of them on someone who has the other on their weapon... currently, Hector has Quick Riposte on his axe. Being an axe unit, he can't get swordbreaker, but now I'm curious if it would stack with lancebreaker.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Akett posted:

I know the feeling, I've put 45 in there (two full pulls, 5 for a started pull that was entirely white and blue, which are the only colors I have 5* units in) and I just crunched the numbers and I think I could only possibly get like 15 more free orbs before the banner goes away unless they feel like giving new quests before the thing ends, which I doubt they will do. It just occurred to me I could have full pulled on that other one and I'd have just enough orbs to have a third full pull.

I think I've probably done 80-90 out of there without anything other than a duplicate 5* Hawkeye. Can't really complain cuz I got Ike and Soren in less than like 140 orbs that I had saved for a long time for Ike. I only went for blue/green, so yeah. I think with bonus orbs I may be able to pull two more units (I think I'll have 9 or 10 orbs on Sunday). Hoping for Hector, but we'll see. I have a total of 10% bonus towards 5* there right now.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I'd guess no given the game only has the concept of first attack and follow up attack. (Brave weapons just do two hits per attack)
QR and -breakers just enable the follow up when the conditions permit, they don't add 1 to the attack amount.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
On Hector who has Quick Riposte built into Armads, he would get benefit from Swordbreaker.

Let's say he's fighting Lyn and he's in HP range of both Armads and Swordbreaker.

Without Swordbreaker:
If Lyn initiates... Lyn attacks, Hector counters, Lyn attacks again, Hector counters again.
If Hector initiates... Hector attacks, Lyn counters, Lyn counters again.

With Swordbreaker:
If Lyn initiates... Lyn attacks, Hector counters, Hector counters again.
If Hector initiates... Hector attacks, Lyn counters, Hector attacks again.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Hector is weak against swords, you can't learn breaker skills for your weak color.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Akett posted:

:same:

I spent, I think 54 orbs on the Nowi/Reinhardt banner, then 20 on the Ike banner, and now 40 on Golden Week. I've gotten one 5 star from that, a -atk/+def Nowi. By my counting I'll have enough for a three pull when the banner expires but I'm not expecting to get anything. Sometimes we're just unlucky, I guess.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i got two hectors and a ryoma from about 40 orbs

they've all got severely mediocre natures

do not spend money on gacha

(also grinding feathers to upgrade from 4* to 5* is the most crushing thing in the game and needs to be nerfed significantly, immediately)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm at 160 orbs on Golden Week and counting

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ungulateman posted:

i got two hectors and a ryoma from about 40 orbs

they've all got severely mediocre natures

do not spend money on gacha

(also grinding feathers to upgrade from 4* to 5* is the most crushing thing in the game and needs to be nerfed significantly, immediately)

You're really not meant to be grinding feathers I think, just think of any sets of 500 you get as a bonus

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Ye, four stars are already good enough.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

You're really not meant to be grinding feathers I think, just think of any sets of 500 you get as a bonus

Still, 20k is kind of nuts to 5* something. 10, or even 15 seems more reasonable. Maybe I'm just salty about 5*ing Oboro without really thinking about the consequences :shepface:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think the bigger problem is that so many non-unique weapons cost 5 stars. Like, why does a Heavy Lance+ require 5 stars? It's dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Every character in the game gets a weapon upgrade at 5*, it isn't arbitrary at all