Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
yeah but he's a great promoter

ECW live shows were some of the most fun live events I've ever been to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Elephanthead posted:

You can drag race any car! (Except a new dodge demon because it is unsafe).

You can't drag race a Dodge Demon because it doesn't have safety equipment. It has to have a racing seat and roll cage and all that jazz to run in its time bracket.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, so. Mod post inbound. You didn't gently caress up, so this isn't anything bad.

But I need your help. I'm going to be running a competition on the 28th regarding all three races, and I need a description of the Coke 600 (such as history, why it's important, etc) for the eventual thread OP. Best submission one will get featured in it (and perhaps some bonus points for it)! PM me, or if you don't have plat, quote this post with your submission. Thank you!

tupacalypse
Jan 1, 2013

by Pragmatica
Noted garbageman Casey Mears had his only win at the 07 race.

von Manstein
Jul 30, 2005

Panzer P.I.M.P
It's almost Talladega Time!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

von Manstein posted:

I get this wave of nostalgia and awesomeness from that picture.

gently caress I miss old NASCAR.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

iospace posted:

Ok, so. Mod post inbound. You didn't gently caress up, so this isn't anything bad.

But I need your help. I'm going to be running a competition on the 28th regarding all three races, and I need a description of the Coke 600 (such as history, why it's important, etc) for the eventual thread OP. Best submission one will get featured in it (and perhaps some bonus points for it)! PM me, or if you don't have plat, quote this post with your submission. Thank you!

One of the most important stories regarding the 600 is that it was built by former (then current) driver Curtis Turner. They ran into issues in construction and the project went way over budget, money Turner didn't have. When the paving contractor said he wouldn't finish until he got his back payment, Turner pulled a shotgun on him and threatened to kill him. It's also one of the Grand Slam races in NASCAR, along with the Daytona 500, the spring Talladega race, and Darlington.

Nowadays, 600 miles is just a long race, but at the beginnings of NASCAR, cars often couldn't complete 500 miles. The additional 100 miles essentially made this an endurance race, and winning it was probably the greatest achievement in NASCAR barring the Daytona 500 itself.

Another fun fact is it's become part of the historic Memorial Day double, as drivers like John Andretti, Kurt Busch, Robbie Gordon and Tony Stewart have run both the Indy 500 and Coke 600 in the same day. Tony Stewart did it twice. In 1999 he finished 9th at Indy, and 4th at Charlotte. In 2001 he did it again, finishing 6th at Indy and leading some laps, missed the drivers meeting at Charlotte, started last, and still got 3rd. He's the only driver to have ever successfully completed all 1,100 miles.

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 4, 2017

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

iospace posted:

The Six-hundred sucks and I hate it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Last year the 600 was led by one person non stop with no cautions.

That won't be the case this year.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

von Manstein posted:

Time to dust this off again
https://youtu.be/EKe6TUY9jrQ

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

njsykora posted:

WEC does I think double points for Le Mans, I think Blancpain GT does quad points for the 24 hours of Spa with full normal race points awarded at 6 and 12 hours and double points at the finish.

It feels different when the double points are being given for much longer races I think.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

JoLo's win being called an encumbered finish.

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/joey-logano-win-richmond-encumbered-penalty-putting-playoffs-in-jeopardy-nascar-050417

Elitist Bitch fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 4, 2017

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

lol at that article acting like he might not make the playoffs

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/860128347204046850

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
JoLo: Been a dick, encumbered, natch

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

iospace posted:

VikingSkull posted:

One of the most important stories regarding the 600 is that it was built by former (then current) driver Curtis Turner. They ran into issues in construction and the project went way over budget, money Turner didn't have. When the paving contractor said he wouldn't finish until he got his back payment, Turner pulled a shotgun on him and threatened to kill him. It's also one of the Grand Slam races in NASCAR, along with the Daytona 500, the spring Talladega race, and Darlington.

Nowadays, 600 miles is just a long race, but at the beginnings of NASCAR, cars often couldn't complete 500 miles. The additional 100 miles essentially made this an endurance race, and winning it was probably the greatest achievement in NASCAR barring the Daytona 500 itself.

Another fun fact is it's become part of the historic Memorial Day double, as drivers like John Andretti, Kurt Busch, Robbie Gordon and Tony Stewart have run both the Indy 500 and Coke 600 in the same day. Tony Stewart did it twice. In 1999 he finished 9th at Indy, and 4th at Charlotte. In 2001 he did it again, finishing 6th at Indy and leading some laps, missed the drivers meeting at Charlotte, started last, and still got 3rd. He's the only driver to have ever successfully completed all 1,100 miles.

In addition, the Winston Million (as it was known from 1985 to 1997) required drivers to win three of the four "Crown Jewel" races Viking alluded to in his post. Only two drivers succeeded, in the first and last years of the program: Jeff Gordon won the 600 as part of the three wins required (Daytona-Charlotte-Darlington), Bill Elliott did not (Daytona-Talladega-Darlington). Darrell Waltrip (1989) and Dale Jarrett (1996) won the Daytona 500 and Coke 600, but were unable to win Darlington to win the bonus. Davey Allison was the only driver other than Elliott with a chance to win the Winston Million with a win in the 600, but didn't; he didn't win Darlington, either.

In 1998, the No Bull 5 program replaced the Winston Million, and the Brickyard 400 was added as a 5th Crown Jewel race: Jeff Burton (1999) and Mark Martin (2002) won $1M bonuses by winning the 600; Gordon probably would've done it in 2001 as he had a bad fast car which ran into Kenny Wallace on pit road early in the race.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I just need to know if they're gonna paint the walls neon green this year.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

kidcoelacanth posted:

I just need to know if they're gonna paint the walls neon green this year.

Black and green is what Monster wants

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Black walls at a night race sounds like a great idea.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Bristol did it the past few years and it was pretty cool

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

von Manstein posted:

And it's cold and wet in May. I guess extra time for garage shenanigans at least

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

iospace posted:

100 more miles of intermediate hell. Because gently caress you, that's why. Drink Monster.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Don't forget the ARCA hilarity on today at 6pm est.

edit: nevermind, ARCA postponed until tomorrow.

L_Harrison fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 5, 2017

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

von Manstein posted:

The Talledega RV park was filled up nicely Thursday night, and still active at 1am when I drove past on I 20.

There were people there on Tuesday night, just not nearly as many.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I won't stand for any Cale Yarborough slander in the NASCAR thread.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

L_Harrison posted:

Don't forget the ARCA hilarity on today at 6pm est.

It is pissing rain, they already moved it

CannonFodder posted:

The Talledega RV park was filled up nicely Thursday night, and still active at 1am when I drove past on I 20.

There were people there on Tuesday night, just not nearly as many.

Garage area was pretty empty compared to usual, but weather was/is pretty bad

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 5, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

LOL ARCA fun times live on FS2/FSGo at 11am 6pm Eastern tomorrow.

e- I red gud. 6pm EDT tonight (Saturday).

:siren: Join us for the greatest tradition in IRC: Talladega Busch race and the Kentucky Derby, with LOL ARCA bonus coverage. :siren:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 6, 2017

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Only 41 entries for Talladega, lowest in 25 years.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Plate racing LOL time wooooh.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

How much money are Stages on plate tracks costing the small teams in NXS?

e- We've got a link to a Radio Le Mans IMSA stream in #nascar which pops out into the Mibbit window if you want to see that live. It's perfect and it has JO'N 'IND'AUGH WHO IS A RIGHT PROPER RAYCIN' ANNOUNCUH!

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 6, 2017

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Even the big teams in the garage hate stage racing at plate tracks. All the drivers were down in the garage calling for its head.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Kahne and Allgeier are both loving idiots

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

It's been 15 years and 82 last-place finishes since Jeff Green led this many laps in an XFINITY Series race.

And FOX couldn't care less.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Aric Almirola's 3rd* career NXS win.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The 67 car looks like it's running one of the default Paintshop fonts from NR2003. I know this because my cars were always #64 and that's the same 6.

I saw this because he spun on pit road because ARCA is happening.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

People in the stands :eyepop:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Guys you think Kurt Busch will take this one to continue on his march to win the Winston Million?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kidcoelacanth posted:

People in the stands :eyepop:

Are there more people than empty spots?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

iospace posted:

Are there more people than empty spots?

It looks packed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
To see Dale's last plate races this year?

• Locked thread