Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Zore posted:

Vegeta abandoned his family after Bulma got pregnant with Trunks so he could try to become a super saiyan. Goku quit fighting for years so he could raise Gohan.

Goku was a good dad. Until he died, and came back wrong. The opposite happened to Vegeta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dying and being able to train 24/7 was a really hard sacrifice to make for Goku

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Zore posted:

Vegeta abandoned his family after Bulma got pregnant with Trunks so he could try to become a super saiyan. Goku quit fighting for years so he could raise Gohan.

Then he beat Frieza and also abandoned Gohan.

Then died.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Vegeta now desires to be a good dad because his new child isn't a raging disappointment across space and time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Then he beat Frieza and also abandoned Gohan.

Then died.

he didn't even have to die; that was a conscious decision on his part and he specifically asked not to be brought back afterwards

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Manatee Cannon posted:

he didn't even have to die; that was a conscious decision on his part and he specifically asked not to be brought back afterwards

I know I mean he abandoned him, then died later.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Manatee Cannon posted:

Goku hasn't been a good dad since the first time Vegeta died.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I know I mean he abandoned him, then died later.

I was agreeing with you friend

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Piccolo's grand strategy will be dressing Yamcha, Gohan and Goku all alike.

Also 17 dyes his hair blonde and Krillin wears a Vegeta wig.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, Piccolomon's actual service as Gohan's "dad" included kidnapping him, beating him black and blue, and leaving his starving in the wilderness.

Everything after that is trying to keep Frieza from killing everybody, being a third wheel to Goku training the kid, and then calling Goku an idiot.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

PMush Perfect posted:

Goku hasn't been a good dad since the first time Vegeta died.

The kaioken incurs a terrible price
Being forever a bad dad

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

TFRazorsaw posted:

I mean, Piccolomon's actual service as Gohan's "dad" included kidnapping him, beating him black and blue, and leaving his starving in the wilderness.

Everything after that is trying to keep Frieza from killing everybody, being a third wheel to Goku training the kid, and then calling Goku an idiot.

and oddly enough, that puts him leaps and bounds ahead of goku

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"piccolo is a good dad" aka a celebration of child abuse

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Child abuse seems to work pretty well in the DB universe

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Think there are Zamasu equivalents in these other universes? Towards the end of the tournament, is Master Roshi going to walk in on about nine Kais hugging threateningly in the green room?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Andrast posted:

Child abuse seems to work pretty well in the DB universe

The only child who has not been abused still looks and acts like a baby.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Professor Wayne posted:

Think there are Zamasu equivalents in these other universes? Towards the end of the tournament, is Master Roshi going to walk in on about nine Kais hugging threateningly in the green room?

Zamasu was from another universe...

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

sassassin posted:

Zamasu was from another universe...

I know. Now there are more.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Professor Wayne posted:

He will, then he will just mafuba every single one. Successfully too because he's not an idiot like Goku.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

sassassin posted:

The only child who has not been abused still looks and acts like a baby.

no, they even killed krillin

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Professor Wayne posted:

I know. Now there are more.

Well he might have had a counterpart in 9's paired universe, 4, but who knows how differently things went in there.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Condiv posted:

and oddly enough, that puts him leaps and bounds ahead of goku

I guess that all those shots of Goku and Gohan training together and laughing and him helping him unlock his super saiyan potential are negated by Goku's (admittedly terrible) error in judgement.

I mean I get it, TFS reframed that whole thing in a really abusive and scary context and that's fresh in people's minds, but the reality of all that is remarkably different.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 5, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

I guess that all those shots of Goku and Gohan training together and laughing and him helping him unlock his super saiyan potential are negated by Goku's (admittedly terrible) error in judgement.

I mean I get it, TFS reframed that whole thing in a really abusive and scary context and that's fresh in people's minds, but the reality of all that is remarkably different.

Goku cares about Gohan but isn't a very good dad. These two facts are not mutually exclusive. He never had a great grasp over what his son wants and keeps misunderstanding and thinking his son wants to be him, and shows little interest in the elements of Gohan that are not fightmans. This is not TFS characterization. (See: his complete meeeh response to Gohan's movie debut.) This doesn't mean he doesn't love or care for his son but, like the rest of Goku's life, he is poor at interacting with him in ways that don't involve being a fightmans.

His thing with Cell isn't that Goku doesn't care about Gohan. (THAT is the TFS joke.) It's that he doesn't really get his nerdy dorky son.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

TFRazorsaw posted:

Also, they're from a species where, traditionally, suplexing somebody through a building is the equivalent of a firm handshake. I think if anything was abuse, it was Chichi forcing him to study.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It's a loving punchmans show who genuinely cares or gives notice to Bad Dad Goku, it's just a joke to run with

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Black August posted:

It's a loving punchmans show who genuinely cares or gives notice to Bad Dad Goku, it's just a joke to run with

Some punchman shows are elevated from being something you watch fight clips on Youtube of by having fun plots or characterization, thank you and Kami bless.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Goku cares about Gohan but isn't a very good dad. These two facts are not mutually exclusive. He never had a great grasp over what his son wants and keeps misunderstanding and thinking his son wants to be him, and shows little interest in the elements of Gohan that are not fightmans. This is not TFS characterization. (See: his complete meeeh response to Gohan's movie debut.) This doesn't mean he doesn't love or care for his son but, like the rest of Goku's life, he is poor at interacting with him in ways that don't involve being a fightmans.

His thing with Cell isn't that Goku doesn't care about Gohan. (THAT is the TFS joke.) It's that he doesn't really get his nerdy dorky son.

I get that. But people act like he's a loving monster and that he's never done right by Gohan, that he's intentionally neglectful, or that their problems stem from an issue that they're very different people and that conflicts stem from that.

You can reframe the context of Gohan and Piccolo's relationship just as unhealthily given it's founded on Piccolo using him as a tool before it turned into genuine friendship that changed them both, but there's pluses and minuses to Gohan's relationship with both his father figures.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Some punchman shows are elevated from being something you watch fight clips on Youtube of by having fun plots or characterization, thank you and Kami bless.

Yeah fine but I'm rolling my eyes at examining the consequences and dynamics of neglect and abuse between a slugman, monkey bookboy, and brain damaged punchtard

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

TFRazorsaw posted:

I get that. But people act like he's a loving monster and that he's never done right by Gohan, that he's intentionally neglectful, or that their problems stem from an issue that they're very different people and that conflicts stem from that.

You can reframe the context of Gohan and Piccolo's relationship just as unhealthily given it's founded on Piccolo using him as a tool before it turned into genuine friendship that changed them both, but there's pluses and minuses to Gohan's relationship with both his father figures.

uh, he's deffo intentionally neglectful. i mean he chose to stay dead while his sons grew up without him cause ???

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Black August posted:

Yeah fine but I'm rolling my eyes at examining the consequences and dynamics of neglect and abuse between a slugman, monkey bookboy, and brain damaged punchtard

imagine having this much animosity toward a show that only appears on subscription anime services and late-night tv. Like, you have to go out of your way to watch this show that you have little besides flippant disdain for :v:

Like, what's your hook? The animation is hot garbage, so you can't say you're watching it for its gorgeously choreographed and artistic battle scenes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Black August posted:

The show itself brings up the issue so y'know, it's what it is. (Mostly in a joking way but what is the internet if not for taking jokes entirely too seriously because you're bored as poo poo.)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Condiv posted:

uh, he's deffo intentionally neglectful. i mean he chose to stay dead while his sons grew up without him cause ???

Because he thought being alive was causing a bunch of issues considering the Androids and Cell uh killed the world because of him in the original timeline.

And the day he decides to come for a visit he makes Vegeta so mad that Buu is unleashed.

I don't know if he was necessarily wrong there.

Also considering most of Super people would probably be better off if he had stayed dead!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Also to be fair, Goku grew up as a Mogli motherfucker, Gohan being dumped in the forest as a parenting experiment was gonna happen sooner or later.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

deadly_pudding posted:

imagine having this much animosity toward a show that only appears on subscription anime services and late-night tv. Like, you have to go out of your way to watch this show that you have little besides flippant disdain for :v:

Like, what's your hook? The animation is hot garbage, so you can't say you're watching it for its gorgeously choreographed and artistic battle scenes.

I don't have animosity for the show I have animosity for nerds who overthink poo poo into the ground

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Black August posted:

I don't have animosity for the show I have animosity for nerds who overthink poo poo into the ground

Don't we all hate ourselves, OP?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Dias posted:

Don't we all hate ourselves, OP?

I'm... not the OP?

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I mean it was a 9 year old attacking a 4 year old

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ekusukariba posted:

I mean it was a 9 year old attacking a 4 year old
It's official, then. The best form of parenting in Dragon Ball is making children fight each other.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

It's official, then. The best form of parenting in Dragon Ball is making children fight each other.

roshi was ahead of his time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Zore posted:

Because he thought being alive was causing a bunch of issues considering the Androids and Cell uh killed the world because of him in the original timeline.

And the day he decides to come for a visit he makes Vegeta so mad that Buu is unleashed.

I don't know if he was necessarily wrong there.

Also considering most of Super people would probably be better off if he had stayed dead!

Cell and the androids would've killed peeps whether gokes was around or not. Buu wasn't released cause goku decided to visit he family (in fact, he didn't come to visit, he came to fight mans), it was cause gokes and friends were not taking buu seriously at all

• Locked thread