Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

OwlFancier posted:

I love that he does the "I just scored a goal in footy" run after it explodes.

It should be a basketball celebration, because that tank got dunked on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Home Guard weapons are really funny. The other AT grenade was a big can of HE that weighed 5 pounds(!) and could only be thrown 15 yards.

I mean, considering they'd be doing probably very close in fighting, that would probably be a quite useful weapon. You wouldn't want to be on the receiving, or even the pitching end of it.

There's a common perception that Britain's anti invasion measures were really poo poo but we did embark on a bunker building spree that would make Hoxha at least smile approvingly.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 5, 2017

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Didn't the home guard get pikes? Or am I confusing a hey gal joke for reality

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Ainsley McTree posted:

They did.

From Wikipedia:

By late 1940, the Home Guard had amassed 847,000 rifles, 47,000 shotguns and 49,000 machine guns of various kinds. However, as there were more than 1,682,000 volunteers at the time, this meant that 739,000 men were without a weapon. There was little improvement in June 1941 when Churchill wrote to the War Office saying that "every man must have a weapon of some sort, be it only a mace or a pike." The civil servants took Churchill at his word and ordered 250,000 pikes from the Ministry of Aircraft Production, each consisting of a long steel tube with an obsolete bayonet welded to the end. When the first of these reached the Home Guard, there was uproar and it is thought that none were actually issued to Home Guardsmen. Captain Godfrey Nicholson MP, spoke for Home Guardsmen when he said in the House of Commons that the provision of pikes, "if not meant as a joke, was an insult".[55] Lord Croft, the Under-Secretary of State for War, could have blamed the fiasco on Churchill, but defended the decision, saying that the pike was "a most effective and silent weapon";[56] his name was attached to the affair thereafter.[57] The problem began to be solved when the first mass-produced Sten submachine guns entered service early in 1942.[58]

e: I'm not sure if that's even a half-pike.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 5, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Someday I will write effort posts on everything related to WWII and call it WWIIkipedia.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ainsley McTree posted:

They got pikes. Churchill wrote a letter to the War Office insisting that each member have a weapon even if it's only a sword or pike, and the War Office took that literally. Supposedly they were never issued and were the subject of mockery, but they were definitely ordered and delivered.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Though I've always wondered about the video, like the first one appears to be the gun going off, not the grenade (which, incidentally, amazes me that the guy still has ears after being that close) and the second one clearly detonates something in the turret. But a grenade itself shouldn't damage a tank cannon, they're designed to take much bigger explosions.

So, my best guess would be that the first grenade got hit by the shell when they fired and maybe hosed up the gun a bit or something, so they opened the breech to see what happened, then the second one rolled into the turret or the blast went out of the open breech and hit the fuel tank or something.

The gun uses a carousel loading system underneath the turret floor. I wonder if they had the breech open and a chain of events caused the grenade to roll out the back of the gun and fall in a gap in the floor to lodge in the ammunition.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not a pike if you can't form a phalanx with it, that's a pointy stick. :colbert:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

It's not a pike if you can't form a phalanx with it, that's a pointy stick. :colbert:

I think that spears of about that length were used in early medieval shield walls. The guys in the second rank could attack over the first rank if they held the spear two-handed near the less pointy end.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

e: I'm not sure if that's even a half-pike.
half-pikes are about nine feet long, that there is a sturm-pike

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

An assault pike... it wasn't automatic, was it? Did they have any problems with pike-related violence after the war?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAIL posted:

half-pikes are about nine feet long, that there is a sturm-pike

haha, could you post pics of one, all i found were people named sturm holding pike fishes

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

For gently caress's sake, just tell the lads they're for drills and training purposes only.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
They look like boarding pikes to me. https://ageofsail.wordpress.com/2009/05/28/the-boarding-pike/

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

spectralent posted:

Those people have LAWs, though. This is covering things like "a lot of grenades strapped together" or "this mine is destined for that tank's tracks".

Not necessarily c.f. Syrian tank being blown up with hand grenade.avi

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

I'm pretty sure that tank is abandoned, both times he goes right from the front of the turret right in front of both the gunner sight and the commander main periscope, yet there is absolutely no reaction from the tank at any time.

As for the explosion I think the first grenade detonated a round in the barrel and that hosed up the breech, and then the second one could drop in the tank and set off the ammo in the carousel.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Disinterested posted:

Not necessarily c.f. Syrian tank being blown up with hand grenade.avi

If it comes down to me heaving grenades down main-gun barrels (and hooooboy poo poo will have gone down to an unbelievable extent to get that silly), it's going to be something with more effect than some pissy little frag - sounds like a job for WHITE PHOSPHOROUS! :supaburn:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just have to roll a 20.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

mllaneza posted:

This is the canonical example of hilarious ways to gently caress up a tank, and as a bonus is the first entry in the textbook for "why armor doesn't operate alone"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AevLyTR6lM&t=65s

:lol: at that guy Nixon'ing it up as he runs from the flaming tank.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tias posted:

An acquintance of mine straight up did this with a fighter plane. She's a peace activist, and figured the best course of action was to infiltrate an air force base, and straight up trying to destroy the planes with a hammer :black101:

That was extremely dumb of her on many, many levels.

Kafouille posted:

I'm pretty sure that tank is abandoned, both times he goes right from the front of the turret right in front of both the gunner sight and the commander main periscope, yet there is absolutely no reaction from the tank at any time.

As for the explosion I think the first grenade detonated a round in the barrel and that hosed up the breech, and then the second one could drop in the tank and set off the ammo in the carousel.

The tank was manned. It fires in between his last two attempts with the grenade and there's no cut away from the tank that could cover up an edit.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 5, 2017

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Here is a narration of assaulting a bogged down tank with a 3kg(6pound) kasapanos (anti-tank charge, see: https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasapanos#/media/File:Polttopullo.jpg) near the end of Winter War, by corporal/junior sergeant Risto Vidgren, the story is hosted by some village association.
http://www.vieremanveteraanit.fi/index.php?page=talvisota&sub=story_look&personID=2

The whole thing is in Finnish, but I have translated a part of it:

(The narrator was given the charge and instructions on its use by a combat engineer, the tank had been bogged down or ran out of fuel as a part of the Lemetti encirlement battle (or motti)).
"We skid together using an old trail and got to within 10 meters of the tank, where we discussed our plan. We left skis there. I rushed first and Karessuo(2nd leutenant, or vänrikki) instantly afterwards and so we had gotten unnoticed next to the tank, whose mg's and gun were pointing in another direction.

The vänrikki gave directions. "Stick the charge there at the root of the turret and light it." He would sneak to the other side and I would follow as soon as it lit, and that's what I then did. Karessue knocked on the top of the tank and said "death comes knocking" and at the same time the charge blew up, causing a 20-30cm (8-14 inch) hole to the turret. The strange explosion caused an another tank to notice us and it started to fire its gun at the hill we were on.

Karessuo told me to get on my skis and to get away, when a pistol was fired at me from the recently caused hole twice, but it missed. Karessuo shot back with his pistol and I threw an egg granade through the recent hole, after it blew we gathered our skis and got under way.

At the morning I was called to colonel Autti and he told me that combat engineers had, at night broken into the tank which turned out to be a command tank and that very important papers had been found inside. Also there had been an officer, of rank equal to major, inside, but he was so badly wounded he could not be interrogated."

Ataxerxes fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 5, 2017

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That was extremely dumb of her on many, many levels.

Actually, it's brave and good to destroy implements of militarism.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

start from your dick

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wish my dick could be considered an implement of militarism.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The militant imperialist state of Denmark.

And congrats, you snuck onto a military base and hit a fighter jet with a hammer a few times. All you've done is cost your fellow taxpayers some additional expense and inconvenienced some aircraft maintenance guys. Well done.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

And congrats, you snuck onto a military base and hit a fighter jet with a hammer a few times. All you've done is cost your fellow taxpayers some additional expense and inconvenienced some aircraft maintenance guys. Well done.

A tool of state violence is a tool of state violence, friend.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

tbf, denmark participates in invading and bombing middle eastern countries

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Hogge Wild posted:

start from your dick

I call it my SLAMRAAM.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

I call it my SLAMRAAM.

lol

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I can at least respect the idea of someone willing to go to the mat for their beliefs in such a way but holy poo poo you have to be an idiot to think of it hitting a plane with a hammer is an effective way to do anything but get yourself a criminal record

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

The tank was manned. It fires in between his last two attempts with the grenade and there's no cut away from the tank that could cover up an edit.

Given the timing and the fact the gun is aiming at the sky the gun firing is basically guaranteed to be the round in the barrel getting set off by the grenade.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
How *would* you best sabotage a fighter jet?

Asking for a friend.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Fangz posted:

Asking for a friend.

Throw a bunch of screws into the engine intakes. Bonus: you get to make pretty sounds! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wKPTWXD2Z0

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Fangz posted:

Asking for a friend.

Get into the military procurement and get people to fund stuff like the F-35

Greggster fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 5, 2017

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Fangz posted:

Asking for a friend.

ask the american military industrial complex to make it

e:

Greggster posted:

Get into the military procurement and get people to fund stuff like the F-35 or The gavin

:argh:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

bewbies posted:

I can at least respect the idea of someone willing to go to the mat for their beliefs in such a way but holy poo poo you have to be an idiot to think of it hitting a plane with a hammer is an effective way to do anything but get yourself a criminal record

What she did is the very essence of guerilla warfare. It pissed off a bunch of people and slowed things down without actually hurting anyone, while she gets to go back to her friends and they all have a good laugh at how pissed off the techs are gonna be in the morning and the dude on guard who's getting chewed out for not catching her. Doesn't mean poo poo in Denmark (assuming that's where this happened) but if you were to pull that on a base that was launching combat ops then you just cost someone their air cover for the day.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

A tool of state violence is a tool of state violence, friend.

It's not the ideology I'm mocking, it's the drat stupid method of putting it into practice.

bewbies posted:

Exactly.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arquinsiel posted:

What she did is the very essence of guerilla warfare. It pissed off a bunch of people and slowed things down without actually hurting anyone, while she gets to go back to her friends and they all have a good laugh at how pissed off the techs are gonna be in the morning and the dude on guard who's getting chewed out for not catching her. Doesn't mean poo poo in Denmark (assuming that's where this happened) but if you were to pull that on a base that was launching combat ops then you just cost someone their air cover for the day.

Except all we know is that she hit a jet with a hammer a few times, apparently without getting caught. What happened next was the maintainers finding a big dent in the side of a panel on an otherwise undamaged, sighing to themselves, and replacing it without ever knowing it was some woman trying to make a point about world peace and poo poo. For all anyone except her and her friends knew, the Danish version of PFc Fuckknuckles backed a vehicle into it and drove off without reporting it to avoid getting in trouble.

It's about as effective a protest as someone sneaking onto a marina and untying a docked sailboat because gently caress capitalism.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 5, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bewbies posted:

If you keyed an F-22 how much would that cost the Air Force

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm sure there's some bits of a plane you could whack with a hammer that might be a bit expensive to fix though I would second jamming the hammer into the engine somewhere.

It's about as effective a protest as someone sneaking onto a marina and untying a docked sailboat because gently caress capitalism.

Actually that's pretty good gently caress capitalism :v: Not as good as drilling a hole in the bottom but pretty good.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 5, 2017