Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Harrow posted:

I haven't tried the demo but I'm really interested in Prey just going by the setting, atmosphere, and the promise of it being basically System Shock again. What makes it so good?
Well, it basically is a next-gen System Shock with everything that this entails:
-a giant space station free to explore an hour into the game with places locked behind necesary tools/powers that reward backtracking
-tons of secrets, detours, alternative routes to objectives, viable gameplay styles, tons of key cards, codes, emails, the game is really swimming in this stuff
-emergant gameplay where you can combine different tools you're given to use against the enemies in creative ways, you can focus on engineering or mental powers or being a wizard etc., there's a lot of Deus Ex in this System Shock
-I dig the setting and the aliens being able to turn into any item in a room and then you being able to get those powers from them

Overall I just really like how much this game lets me gently caress around and explore, try weird ideas and then see them realized because the devs actually thought about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PantsBandit posted:

The Darksiders 3 gameplay looks like straight up garbage. Somehow they decided it would be a good idea to take a series known for ludicrously hefty weapons and make the main character use a wimpy little whip.

Like I guess whips can be interesting weapons but you really need to emphasize the *SNAP* and make it look like it loving hurts and the Darksiders whip just looks like it's gently brushing the enemies.

I'd be more worried if that was demo footage and the game was expected to come out this year. But it's pre alpha and due in 2018.

They also didn't show off any spells :saddowns:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

The Darksiders 3 gameplay looks like straight up garbage. Somehow they decided it would be a good idea to take a series known for ludicrously hefty weapons and make the main character use a wimpy little whip.

Like I guess whips can be interesting weapons but you really need to emphasize the *SNAP* and make it look like it loving hurts and the Darksiders whip just looks like it's gently brushing the enemies.
That doesn't sound like gameplay you're describing.

War is not the kind of character design you want to replicate.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Best whips in video games:

1. Ivy's weapon in Soulcalibur
2. Threaded Cane, Bloodborne
3. Vampire Killer, Castlevania
4. Catwoman's whip, Arkham City

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
5. Unite Whip, Wonderful 101

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

6. Qustis' whip.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

earnest evans

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
7. Kulshedra

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
My issue with Darksiders 3 is that Fury isn't one of the four horsemen. Why can't she be Plague or Pestilence?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

My issue with Darksiders 3 is that Fury isn't one of the four horsemen. Why can't she be Plague or Pestilence?

Because they're been Death, Strife, Fury and War since the first game?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's not like the original 2 Darksiders had particularly amazing combat so complaining they the sequel looks bad because the combat looks different seems odd.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

They should have gone with one of the Gnostic readings and have Jesus as one of the horsemen

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Death is the only Horseman to ever be mentioned by name in Revelations. The others are left open to interpretation.

Take a look, it's in a book.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

This is a crime. Locate the perpetrators and execute on the spot

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A what?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

chumbler posted:

It's also pre alpha and looks pretty much like it was hastily put together due to the leak. I think it was a bad idea to put it out, but I'm not going to be terribly fussed about it.

Yeah, this is most likely a vertical slice. Look at that HUD.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Giant bomb says that prey 2017 will delete prey 2006 if purchased on steam and 2006 is not available to redownload if it happens to you

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

Giant bomb says that prey 2017 will delete prey 2006 if purchased on steam and 2006 is not available to redownload if it happens to you

lmbo, and rip

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Real hurthling! posted:

Did this happen with Doom last year? Is original Doom available to buy standalone on Steam?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

ImpAtom posted:

Because they're been Death, Strife, Fury and War since the first game?

I played the first game when it came out uhhh 7 years ago so whoops, my bad.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Did this happen with Doom last year? Is original Doom available to buy standalone on Steam?

Dont think anything happened like that with doom but not sure.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They could probably make a way more interesting/unique moveset if they had went with pestilence as one of the four horsies so it's kind of a shame

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

DOOM is on steam as Ultimate DOOM so it wouldn't run into this problem.

What's happening is that Prey (2017) is using the folder "Prey", which is the same folder Prey (2006) used back when it was available on Steam. You can't buy 2006 on Steam anymore and no one thought to check. Brutal.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I understand that it would overwrite it on your PC but normally you can download games that you bought on Steam even if they're not available for purchase anymore so that's really weird.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

isn't hyper attentive attention deficit an oxymoron. i always thought it stood for hyperactive

Attentive is a subset of both add and adhd(hyperactive)

It's not an oxymoron because you become too focused to notice other things.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

bethesda made prey for the gods change their name because of prey and they went with praey for the gods

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Viewtiful Jew posted:

It is but it doesn't even work so I refunded it and illegally downloaded the ultimate Doom .wad because honestly who cares, it was basically free at launch anyway.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Brad from gb says the ps4 input lag in prey does not feel fixed after patch, but he is also a legendary bad quick look guy who so far in this video has just hit robots with a wrench for 10 mins

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Brad from gb says the ps4 input lag in prey does not feel fixed after patch, but he is also a legendary bad quick look guy who so far in this video has just hit robots with a wrench for 10 mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHlvQcozDAA&t=119s

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lol

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

oddium posted:

bethesda made prey for the gods change their name because of prey and they went with praey for the gods

Zenimax are a terrible company.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I would have gone with lunch for the lords

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

FillInTheBlank posted:

Zenimax are a terrible company.

Didn't they sue Notch over Scrolls in 2015 or whatever? Kinda funny because I think Notch is worth more than Zenimax at the moment.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

It's not like the original 2 Darksiders had particularly amazing combat so complaining they the sequel looks bad because the combat looks different seems odd.

It's not the combat looking bad mechanically, which yeah, the first two were definitely simple as well. The criticism is the actual animations don't look very good. But again, very early footage. I'm sure they'll spruce them up in the next two years, and magic and apparently transformations will also help.

I like that Fury's hair is constantly floating.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

chumbler posted:

I like that Fury's hair is constantly floating.

Yeah, that's pretty cool in Furi.

Wait what are we talking about?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Should I get Thai food or Five Guys for dinner tonight?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Depends on if your Five Guys dumps more fries into the bag than you asked for like mine always does

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Furi is really cool.

^ definitely Thai food.

Five Guys is okay, but it's no contest between it and even mediocre Thai food.

edit, and yeah, a medium fry is more than enough for two people. One time I thought I should splurge on a large to split between two people, and we ended up with an entire plate of fries leftover.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Get just the fries from Five Guys and also some Thai curry and combine them into the devil's poutine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I try to stay sex positive but wowee glam that's pretty bold!

• Locked thread