Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Toronto is more subprime than Vancouver

https://twitter.com/steve_hanke/status/859874707318767617

Vancouver has strong fundamentals!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Femtosecond posted:

Who could have seen this coming? Who could foresee that sub prime mortgages would have disastrous effects?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Someone summed this up nicely in a tweet that I've lost, but the troubles at Home Capital will result in a tightening of lending in Ontario, as the rest of the secondary lenders have become more cautious and have increased rates, and mortgage brokers aren't sending any clients to Home Capital any more.

quote:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-04/brokers-loosen-ties-with-home-capital-as-it-fights-for-its-life
"We are not sending Home Trust any deals at this point as we fear their ability to fund the mortgages at closing has been compromised," said Dan Eisner, chief executive officer at True North Mortgage, which gives Home Capital about C$25 million of its C$1.2 billion annual business. "Furthermore, we are exploring other lending options for clients that have scheduled Home Trust closings in the next few weeks.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Guess Canada will become dependent on Chinese church congregation private mortgage providers.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I can't wait to see Korean evangelicals fighting Filipino catholic congregations in the streets over mortgage market customers

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

"Excuse me, sir, but have you heard the good news?"
"I'm already Christian, thanks."
"No, not that! Interest rates as low as 2.25% fixed!"

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

mojo1701a posted:

lol

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Did we ever find out what that shady investment opportunity ad from the Metro paper a few weeks back was?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Femtosecond posted:

Did we ever find out what that shady investment opportunity ad from the Metro paper a few weeks back was?

Probably BCLP.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Femtosecond posted:

Pretty sure I saw a followup one with a bit more hinty detail that made it smell a bit like binary options trading. Still just had a phone number and no website/company name so didn't bother digging deeper.

Always a sign of a healthy economy when a thing that's at worst a pure scam and at best gambling against the house with extremely lovely odds is taking out multiple front page ads on the biggest daily.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/real-estate-langley-to-chilliwack-still-unaffordable-1.4098428

quote:

'This is an ugly market': A look at Langley, Abbotsford and Chilliwack real estate
Even if you have 500K, you still might not be able to afford your dream home an hour out of Vancouver

Real estate prices in the Fraser Valley have jumped significantly over the last year, making it a challenge to break into the market.

"It's a very difficult market for first-time home buyers," said Leo Ronse, a seasoned realtor with over two decades of experience in the Langley area.

"This is an ugly market," said Ronse, one where prices are high, inventory is low and multiple offers are common practice.

According to the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board. April saw the highest sales the region has experienced in the last 10 months.

The biggest price increases were for townhouses and apartments, the prices for those increased nearly 30 per cent since last year and over 3 per cent since last month.

So, we took a look at what you can buy in Langley, Abbotsford and Chilliwack if you have $250,000 and $500,000.

Langley​

In Langley, a quarter million dollars will score you a decent apartment.

That's if you snag it in time.

Asking price: $248, 800 | Sale price: $255,000
731 sq.ft. condo, 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom
This apartment on 201A Street was in the market for 12 days and sold with multiple offers, said realtor Jeremy Sutton, who sold the place to a first-time home buyer.

Even if you doubled your money and had a budget of half a million dollars, you'd be hard pressed to find a single detached home in Langley for that price.

List price: $399,900 | Sale price: $400,000
1,742 sq.ft. single family house, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms
"You're not going to find a house for $500,000 and if you do, they'll be in less than stellar neighbourhoods and will be in deplorable conditions," said Ronse.

A nice three bedroom, two bathroom townhouse goes for $500,000 in Langley.

List price: $469,900 | Sale price: $500,000
1,550 square feet townhouse, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms
"I'm not saying this is affordable, but it is an area that is a little better than the Vancouvers, Richmonds and the Burnabys," said Ted Schaffer, the mayor of the city of Langley.

Schaffer believes townhouses are the new reality for young families.

"We are looking at it as a place families can go, I think there are seven townhouse projects out of the 15 or 17 which are on the books right now," said Schaffer.

But for Sean Kane a townhouse doesn't cut it.

"They're not really that big enough I find for three kids and two adults," he said.

Kane has been looking in Langley for a few months and with his budget of $400,000, he's had no luck.

"It's frustrating," he said, "pretty much anything on MLS is sold or taken."

Once you find something, it's a race to put an offer in, he said.

"You don't even know if you're going to like it yet, you don't have time to compare it to other things," he said.

Realtor Michael O'Grady knows the pain all to well.

"We are having a lot of trouble finding places for clients," he said, adding that inventory is low in Langley because of the commute time to Annacis Island, Delta and Vancouver.

"People have decided that Aldergrove isn't that bad of a drive, and it has pushed out to Abbotsford now," he said.

Abbotsford

But even in Abbotsford buying a house for less than $500,000 is unlikely.

"They aren't going to be a homebuyer, they are going to be a townhome buyer," said Kevin Rolland, a realtor based out of Abbotsford.

"Townhouses are selling up into the $500,000's now. If I told someone that a year ago, they would've thought I was crazy," he said.

List price: $524,900 | Sale price: $529,900
1,762 square foot brand-new townhouse, 3 bedrooms 4 baths
Rolland said Abbotsford is now seen as a good investment.

"A lot of people are buying investment condos because rents are so high," he said and with less than $250,000 you can purchase an 805 square foot apartment.

List price: $235,500 | Sale price: $247,250
805 sq. ft apartment, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths
The vacancy rates in Abbotsford - Mission are the lowest in the country at 0.5 per cent.

Even a rancher home is advertised as an investment property, with a note that the family renting it for $1,700 a month would like to stay.

List price: $525,800 | Sale price: $520,000
930 square foot rancher, 3 bedrooms, 1 bath
Rolland said if people are looking to buy a nice house they'll have to head to Chilliwack.

Chilliwack​

This is where $500,000 will buy you a house.

On the Sardis side, options range from a B.C. box house or a really nice townhouse.

On the Chilliwack side, $500,000 dollars will get you a bigger house.

List price: $449,300 | Sale price: $482,000
1,837 bungalow in Chilliwack, 4 bedroom, 2 bath
The more affordable option — $250,000 — will land you an apartment on the Sardis side or a single level townhouse or teardown in Chilliwack.

<poo poo deleted>

But these listings are attracting multiple offers.

"They're asking me to door knock find properties that aren't on the market so they are not competing against other people," said realtor Aaron Tschritter.

"This is the first time that sales are down a little bit, not because people don't want to buy. It's just that there is nothing to buy," said Greg Nord-Leth, president of the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board.

Nord-Leth believes part of the attraction is that Chilliwack is the Langley of 10 years ago. As Langley becomes more urban, people are opting for Chilliwack, he said, where they can get more for their money and get a calmer atmosphere.

He said the foreign buyers tax has also had rippling effects on the Chilliwack housing market.

"Foreign buyers were buying in Vancouver, Vancouver buyers were leaving and coming to Langley, and the people from Langley where coming to Chilliwack," said Nord-Leth.

merritt is the new chiliwack

moosejaw is the new merritt

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Everything is ridiculous.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Councillor De Genova told me I should move further away so I can afford a house lmao

also that I'm out of touch with millennials earning over 100k who are struggling to put together a down payment

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007
I'm not sure if this is significant or not, but the entirety of Bear Mountain is for sale by Ecoasis.
They're putting a cute spin on it, but my gut says (hopes, really) they're hosed.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man Merritt was my choice for retirement away from realtors. Now I'm gonna have to live in the woods with a high-powered rifle.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
lol Vancouver appears to be accelerating in to a housing singularity.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

If you're willing to gamble that the bridge to the Sunshine coast will be built sooner than later, and you are actually able to wait for the bridge to get built, buying something in Gibsons seems better than Chilliwack. Sunshine Coast property is a bit cheaper than Chilliwack and with the Langdale Bridge Link option the travel time from Gibsons to Vancouver would be close to if not less than Chilliwack to Vancouver.

The cost estimate for the bridge link is only $2-2.5 billion. lol ok dude. That seems impossible to me.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Femtosecond posted:

If you're willing to gamble that the bridge to the Sunshine coast will be built sooner than later, and you are actually able to wait for the bridge to get built, buying something in Gibsons seems better than Chilliwack. Sunshine Coast property is a bit cheaper than Chilliwack and with the Langdale Bridge Link option the travel time from Gibsons to Vancouver would be close to if not less than Chilliwack to Vancouver.

The cost estimate for the bridge link is only $2-2.5 billion. lol ok dude. That seems impossible to me.
What is the economic justification for a bridge to a bunch of nothing?

Although I guess the same was said a century ago about the Lion's Gate. Although the Guinness family built it and not the government.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

cowofwar posted:

well, chinese money is flowing into real estate and

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

cowofwar posted:

Although I guess the same was said a century ago about the Lion's Gate. Although the Guinness family built it and not the government.

The economic justification is to open up new land for real estate developers and make developers and land owners rich while fuelling that construction industry.

The political justification is infill development and intensifying density in existing neighbourhoods is politically extremely difficult, as is destroying the ALR.

So long as people badly want detached houses the only way to create new supply is to develop further outside of Metro Vancouver, into Chilliwack, Squamish and the Sunshine Coast.

Personally I don't think the Sunshine Coast link makes economic sense but if local politicians are going to resist redeveloping single family home areas of Metro Vancouver, they'll have to do it eventually.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Only like 30k people live on the Sunshine Coast. lol

Meanwhile there are multiple Metrotowns worth of residential and commercial activity along the Broadway corridor but that area not worth transit upgrades.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

cowofwar posted:

As Christy Clark has shown with the Massey Bridge to Delta, it doesn't matter. She's still mad about being voted out of the safest BC Liberal riding in Metro Vancouver and thus TransLink and everyone in the area isn't seeing a dime. And if they want to even see a dime, it'll be on a referendum.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

I have family that lives on the Sunshine Coast. They're livid about this proposed bridge, the last thing they want their area to become is another lovely Vancouver suburb.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I can't blame them, look at the NIMBY shithole Squamish has become over the past six years or so.

I mean, it was a shithole beforehand, but it was a different and more approachable shithole than a town full of whining yuppies.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Femtosecond posted:

:psyduck:

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

mojo1701a posted:

that is good news

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Rime posted:

I can't blame them, look at the NIMBY shithole Squamish has become over the past six years or so.

I mean, it was a shithole beforehand, but it was a different and more approachable shithole than a town full of whining yuppies.

That's a good point. If newcomers are specifically coming to a town just because it's the only place left they can get a SFH, they're likely to be even more resistant than normal to municipal efforts to upzone away from SFH.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Typo posted:

that is good news

"Jesus saves!

...you half a percentage point on your home mortgage!"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
You know, if only the lenders moved into the churches, it could be a one stop shop!

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I saw this article the other day about how Vancouver Island is filled with the olds.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/census-2016-youth-in-the-north-seniors-on-the-island-1.4097018

I knew that Qualicum, Parksville, and Sidney were especially old but surprised at Nanaimo being on the list (twice!). Then today I saw this article about how old people in Nanaimo aren't downsizing from homes due to a lack of affordable rentals.

http://nanaimonewsnow.com/article/534793/nanaimo-area-seniors-bucking-trends-population-exceeds-number-children

quote:

Hintz said the lack of affordable housing is why seniors aren't downsizing as anticipated.

“We're getting into a real crunch for when seniors have to downsize. They can't stay in their homes, they're too large but there's no places they can rent that they can afford.”

And reminded me of another thing I saw the other day:

http://nanaimonewsnow.com/article/534686/upscale-rental-housing-planned-replace-old-nanaimo-city-hall-annex

quote:

High-end rental housing is planned to replace Nanaimo's old City Hall Annex, which has sat vacant for more than three years.
Corsan said because the demolition or repair costs exceeded the value of the land the City chose to sell it for just $1. Covenants placed on the sale lowered the assessed value to $2, meaning the City has not earned property tax revenue since Cracey took possession in 2014. As soon as demolition happens, taxes will be collected moving forward.

Coun. Jerry Hong voiced some concern over the property being used for rentals considering the City basically gave it away.

"I would have liked to have seen some affordable housing but they did put some micro-units in there which are pretty affordable for people that rent so I'm pretty satisfied with the design," Hong said.

So the city gave away of chunk of land in a decent location (for the view at least) in order to profit a developer and get some luxury condos downtown. Oh but maybe some micro units will be "pretty affordable" so it's not a total loss right? Maybe a few of those olds who don't want to downsize from their SFH due to unaffordable rentals will decide to move to a micro-condo in the totally desirable (sarcasm) downtown area.

https://goo.gl/maps/XqTuJBnC85C2

Imagine the views from several floors up, they'll be pretty great. For those with the money to be in their luxury tower.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mozi posted:

You know, if only the lenders moved into the churches, it could be a one stop shop!

This time, we bolted the tables to the floor!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Hi Canada thread I found something for you to hate-read

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11850187

quote:

Property investors are being encouraged in a tutorial video to exploit the 'seven Ds' - which include targeting 'deceased estates', 'divorcees' and 'dummies' who don't know the real value of their home.

The advice has "appalled" the country's largest bank which is now reviewing its sponsorship of the organisation that distributed the video, Auckland Property Investors Association (APIA), and its national body.

The video by Auckland property tycoon Ron Hoy Fong titled How to make massive profit in today's property market says 'desperate' homeowners forced to sell cheaply before banks step in are also prime targets.

So are cash-strapped families who've lost their homes in mortgagee sales, developers on the brink of bankruptcy and motivated sellers under pressure from looming 'deadlines'.

"Some places are already a bargain," says Fong in the promotional video for his Ronovationz company, which is being distributed free to APIA members.

"That's simply because the vendor's a dummy. He doesn't know what it's worth."

But the tactics, which include working in packs to secure bargains and giving vendors fake names when making repeat offers, are under fire.

"We are appalled by the tactics advocated in the video and we will be reviewing our sponsorship of the Auckland Property Investors Association," ANZ's retail and banking business managing director Antonia Watson said last night.

"The advice goes against our ANZ values and the importance of ensuring fair outcomes for vendors and buyers."

After watching extracts, Labour's housing spokesman Phil Twyford said in his opinion the video was "a con man's charter and how-to guide on exploitation and deception".

"Auckland Property Investors Association needs to front up and say whether they endorse this material, and if they don't, then they need to explain why the video is being circulated to its members."

Fong denied exploiting people and blamed real estate agents for advertising properties with "motivated sellers".

He said he encouraged people to "look for opportunities".

In the video, Fong tells viewers success is making big money on property investment, even at the expense of grieving families and marriage breakups.

Looking for the seven Ds would help investors secure bargain prices and maximise returns.

Deceased estates and mortgagee sales could often be picked up cheaply. Divorcees' properties were also a savvy investment option, Fong said.

"I've had cases in the past where husbands and wives have separated and for whatever [reason] one partner doesn't want the other partner to make any money out of it. So they'll sell it at whatever price they can just to pay the mortgage."

He advises people to put in low ball offers - 20 per cent below what they're willing to pay. If their original offer is knocked back, make another offer under a new name.

"If the vendor recognises your name then sure, change your name. Use a different one. Put your name back to front."

Fong also encourages property investment groups to work in packs to drive down prices and secure bargains.

"The beauty of having a group like us is you can get all your mates to go put in lower offers to make your one sound good."

The tactic had proved successful in an earlier purchase, he said.

"In fact that vendor did comment that he thinks he was set up but he didn't know how. But no one is set up if they accept a price."

An APIA member who received the video said she was appalled by its content and the tactics being employed.

"They're just sharks going around looking for the seven Ds. These [investors] are being trained to deliberately go out and look for old people. People are likely to get ripped off."

APIA president Andrew Bruce had not watched the videobut said the tactics were not condoned by the non profit organisation.

He planned to review the material and would withdraw the DVD if its contents were deemed offensive.

Responding to the criticisms, Fong - an APIA sponsor - admitted the wording was inappropriate and said he would consider dropping reference to the seven Ds.

But he denied taking advantage of people and blamed real estate agents for advertising properties with "motivated sellers" or "divorcees looking to sell up urgent".

"We're looking for opportunities but we're not preying on people as such. We look for the advertisements but it's not like we're going through the death pages or divorce courts."

Dummies referred to overseas investors who were not aware of market changes.

"They're anyone who doesn't know the value of their own home."

Fong defended his advice to place low group offers, but only when sellers had unrealistic price expectations.

"We only do that in the situation where the guy wants to sell but he's living in fairy land.

"I'm a JP and I'd never promote taking advantage of little old ladies or people who are on their death bed. I think that's disgusting."

Consumer Affairs Minister Jacqui Dean said she would be concerned if people were actively trying to deceive consumers.

Anyone who felt they'd been misled should contact the Commerce Commission.

The revelations follow last Saturday's Weekend Herald story about sick Mangere pensioner Sarah Ewe, who sold her home to a no-commission house trading company without receiving advice from her family or lawyer.

The widowed great-grandmother's family reached a confidential settlement with investor Peter Lee this week, overturning the sales contract and allowing her to keep her home.

Lee - a life member of Fong's Ronovationz group - denies acting unethically.

Ron's Top Tips

Look for the seven Ds

- Deceased estate - dead people don't need property
- De bank (mortgagee sales) - can often be picked up cheaply
- Deadline - 'motivated seller' facing looming deadline to sell house
- Divorcee - Ex partner selling home cheap to prevent former spouse making money
- Dummies - doesn't know the true market value of their home
- Developers - may sell for below cost if facing bankruptcy
- Desperate - anyone desperate to sell their house before the bank steps in

Also holy poo poo why is every sentence a paragraph

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
This is literally all I can think of after reading that

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm a terrible person because most of that seems like just real sensible advice for anyone who wants to buy anything with a negotiable price.

The group buy thing starts bordering on a scam if they're specifically targeting senile people, but otherwise seller beware.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm a terrible person because most of that seems like just real sensible advice for anyone who wants to buy anything with a negotiable price.

The group buy thing starts bordering on a scam if they're specifically targeting senile people, but otherwise seller beware.

Also, lots of people want to sell their place without holding out for the highest possible value because it's a giant loving inconvenience. Finding a seller that's just sick of having their property listed and lowballing them isn't a scam, it's a transaction that will potentially make everyone involved very happy. I know a guy who's going through a similar thing with a vacation property, and will probably lose money on an eventual sale, and he said, "You know what? I just want it loving gone. If someone offered me 150k below listing today, they'd take it." The other lesson from that is: don't build a big new house in the middle of assfuck nowhere, because you will not be able to find anyone who's willing to pay what the house is worth.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I hate how lowball became "an offer below asker's price" because I don't think this is the case if the asking price is above market value and/or the seller is delusional. It used to mean an offer below market value.

I.e. If comparable houses are selling for 800k and you price yours at 1M and you get an 825k offer that's not a lowball imo. This is still true even if they were selling for 1M last year and that's what you paid for your house that's now worth 800k.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

The other lesson from that is: don't build a big new house in the middle of assfuck nowhere, because you will not be able to find anyone who's willing to pay what [you believe] the house is worth.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Mozi posted:

They could even change your Yuan to CAD while they're at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I just rode my bike on Cornwall Rd aka chip Wilson lane. It's lined with bclp signs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯